Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Petroleum Jelly vs Shea Butter
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
Is shea butter comparable to petroleum jelly, which is an occlusive?

Which is better for skin, and could they be used interchangeably in a product?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
I much prefer Shea Butter over Vaseline, but my favorite that would be closer in consistency is Mango Butter! It is heavenly! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
What are you actually using it for? Vaseline is commonly used post laser treatments but Paw Paw Ointment or Egyptian Magic can be used to the same effect. I like Egyptian Magic as it contains bees wax and olive oil - so I use it as a moisturiser too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
Is shea butter comparable to petroleum jelly, which is an occlusive?

Which is better for skin, and could they be used interchangeably in a product?

I think the petroleum jelly just sits on the skin (isn't absorbed) and would be used just as an occlusive, but I think the shea butter would be absorbed and would act as both a moisturizer and occlusive. That's my thinking on the difference!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
I love Egyptian Magic too.. (not so nuts about the smell).

Keliu, have you ever used a little EM along with your oils or serums? I'm finding I love to do that at night, especially after I use the LED. I feel like it really helps to push those goodies in well. It just feels like such pampering to me.

I like shea butter also, but haven't re-ordered in a while.

Every time I hear or see 'Vaseline' I think of Tyra Banks..lol. She gave it to all the members in her audience one day as "a surprise gift of my very favorite skin product"..

To answer Veronica's question; I don't think anything is more occlusive than vaseline.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
I had come across this article some time back: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/06/21/is-your-moisturizer-causing-skin-cancer.aspx

About Minerial Oil which is derivitave of Petroleum. Vasaline being petroleum.

This is just one article, it's enough for me to reconsider putting this type of product on my body or my children's bodies when there are so many other avail. alternatives, nearly as cheap. (common usage on the lips meaning it's ingested often?)

And, well, if this article is correct, then MUCH cheaper than cancer would ever be.

Shea butter so far has not scared me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
I had come across this article some time back: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/06/21/is-your-moisturizer-causing-skin-cancer.aspx

About Minerial Oil which is derivitave of Petroleum. Vasaline being petroleum.

This is just one article, it's enough for me to reconsider putting this type of product on my body or my children's bodies when there are so many other avail. alternatives, nearly as cheap. (common usage on the lips meaning it's ingested often?)

And, well, if this article is correct, then MUCH cheaper than cancer would ever be.

Shea butter so far has not scared me.

I know many don't agree and to each their own on this, but I am on the same page Claudia!

I refused to use it in my kids ages ago and instead of Vaseline I make my own with 10 oz. oil and 2 oz. beeswax (can use another natural wax if bee allergies are an issue) and I much prefer it personally! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:20 am      Reply with quote
1. IMO no, petroleum jelly is an occlusive only, natural oil or butter contain 'active' fatty acids, whether that activity is positive or negative.

2. To some extent it depends what shea butter you are referring to: there is a good deal of difference between the composition of west and east African shea, and also between unrefined and refined shea.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:00 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
I love Egyptian Magic too.. (not so nuts about the smell).

Keliu, have you ever used a little EM along with your oils or serums? I'm finding I love to do that at night, especially after I use the LED. I feel like it really helps to push those goodies in well. It just feels like such pampering to me.

I'm an EM smotherer!! I use it most nights, especially around the mouth and eyes. But if my skin is dry during the day, I also put it on top of my makeup - gives a nice dewy look!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:33 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl,

I, too, suspect that shea butter is better absorbed.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:49 am      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
rileygirl,

Agreed - but if you want something to actually lock moisture in the skin, Vaseline is good to apply over another moisturiser.

Personally, I think the whole mineral oil/cancer thing belongs in the "Everything Gives you Cancer" file. The mineral oil that is used in toiletries has been refined and bares no resemblance to its original state.

Read this from the Beauty Brains:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2006/11/28/the-top-5-myths-about-mineral-oil-part-1/

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
VeronicaM wrote:
rileygirl,

Agreed - but if you want something to actually lock moisture in the skin, Vaseline is good to apply over another moisturiser.

Personally, I think the whole mineral oil/cancer thing belongs in the "Everything Gives you Cancer" file. The mineral oil that is used in toiletries has been refined and bares no resemblance to its original state.

LOL. I agree on the "everything gives you cancer". One minute something gives you cancer, and then some time later it is good for you again.

How about the comment on the Beautybrains that: It is also 100% natural taken directly out of our dear Mother Earth.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:00 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Keliu wrote:
VeronicaM wrote:
rileygirl,

LOL. I agree on the "everything gives you cancer". One minute something gives you cancer, and then some time later it is good for you again.

How about the comment on the Beautybrains that: It is also 100% natural taken directly out of our dear Mother Earth.

So is poison oak. LOL! Well, I've already dealt with cancer in my family. Mom and husband. I might be a wee bit hyper active when it comes to, "don't really need to risk it" when I can find a substitute that, so far, anyway doesn't seemingly cause cancer.

It seems I read vaseline wasn't even a beauty product until Marilyn Monroe scooped some off of some camera equip, and used it as lip gloss to keep the glossy look the women were going for, but could get without licking their lips nonstop for a photoshoot.

I wonder if that's true!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Every time I hear or see 'Vaseline' I think of Tyra Banks..lol. She gave it to all the members in her audience one day as "a surprise gift of my very favorite skin product"..

OMG she didn't!!! Laughing
That's awesome... I'd love to have seen the audience members' reactions! & I hope she made it up to them with something a little more luxurious.

I don't end up using it (as my tiny years-old tub can attest), but don't really hesitate dabbing a little if I need it in a pinch. The way I look at it is that I've got a lot more of a powerful "life force" or whatever, protecting me than is worth the bother of worrying about a touch of something questionable like that. (not worded v well, but you get the idea).

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
My grandmother loved vaseline. She used it as a facial and body moisturizer during her life. She loved simplicity.
jangaming
5% products discount

Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:31 am      Reply with quote
must be shea butter better than vaseline. As petroleum's product is not a very good to skin. i dun prefer to use petroleum's products.
nuttymadam
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:25 am      Reply with quote
in the "olden days" we would use petro jelly as a night cream, well I did Razz and i used to love it, knowledge is power I suppose and now i cringe at my old habits
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:19 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |