Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Statement on Stem Cells and their Potential
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
Statement on Stem Cells and their Potential

The Society for Neuroscience

The Society for Neuroscience, a scientific organization with more than 40,000 basic and clinical researchers dedicated to the study of the brain and nervous system, supports continued and careful use of stem cells to produce new treatments and to aid in the discovery of new drugs for a vast array of devastating diseases.

Generally defined, stem cells are cells that can self-renew and give rise to mature cells of different lineages. It is important to recognize the existence of different types of stem cells, including embryonic stem cells, fetal stem cells, and adult stem cells. Stem cells can be derived from various organisms, including plants, rodents, and primates (including humans). Stem cells are found in many different organs of the mammalian body, including blood, brain and skin. Each of these different cell types has different properties and no single stem cell is uniquely superior to any other. Thus, at this early stage in stem cell research a broad investigative approach is encouraged. Human embryonic stem cells are unique because they represent the potential to give rise to all cells of the human body, and thus represent the broadest range of potential human cells.

More on link:

http://www.sfn.org/index.aspx?pagename=guidelinesPolicies_stemcells

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
Just part of an article about the benefits of many plants soy included, by By Gary Goldfaden, MD, and Robert Goldfaden. with many references sited at the bottom.

Apple Stem Cells: Epidermal Renewal

Epidermal cells are crucial in replacing skin cells lost due to continual shedding. Like humans, plants also have stem cells. Scientists have been keenly interested in the benefits of the fruit of a rare Swiss apple tree. When they cultivated the stem cells from this tree for its anti-aging effects, they found that they stimulated human stem cell proliferation, protected human stem cells against UV-induced death, and mitigated aging-related changes in gene expression.32

In a clinical trial, 20 participants applied an anti-wrinkle cream containing the apple stem cell extract twice daily to the crow’s feet area around the eyes. The scientists found a 15% reduction in wrinkle depth after just 4 weeks.32 This special apple extract therefore provides a valuable topical agent that helps reduce the signs of aging.

To complement all of the above botanical extracts, two other scientifically proven nutrients described below can help inhibit the glycative processes that cause cross-linking of the skin’s collagen fibers.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
Didn't DrJ say apple stem cells are bogus? hmm (For obvious lack of a better term, in a rush!) That's what I thought he and others were saying. Can't remember where it was. Thanks for posting this DM! Smile
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
I'd love to learn more about plant stem cells. Unlike some others around here, I am totally open minded... Laughing

Just got my order from Lotioncrafter yesterday, and I'm itchin to get into the "Apple Stem Cell Extract"..

Naysayers can laugh all they want and follow the pied piper to the poor house... Bad Grin
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Didn't DrJ say apple stem cells are bogus? hmm (For obvious lack of a better term, in a rush!) That's what I thought he and others were saying. Can't remember where it was. Thanks for posting this DM! Smile

The thing with science is nobody agrees 100% so my mind is also quite open to as many views as possible, even those that are personal/anecdotal!

We see many things work that supposedly should not according to some experts! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:

Actually, he says most things are bogus...
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
egyptiangoddess wrote:

I love the way you call a spade a spade. Nice to have some honest opinions.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
Paula Begoun on stem cells: http://www.cosmeticscop.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/definition/1682/stem-cells.aspx

And I think DragoN was saying something about apple stem cells being useless in that "name you worst ingredient" thread. I may be wrong about DrJ saying that so if I am, sorry! I can't search right now.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Paula Begoun on stem cells: http://www.cosmeticscop.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/definition/1682/stem-cells.aspx

And I think DragoN was saying something about apple stem cells being useless in that "name you worst ingredient" thread. I may be wrong about DrJ saying that so if I am, sorry! I can't search right now.

I believe both called it bunk in essence, (paraphrasing from memory) not feeling like searching all of those threads.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
Kinetin is a cytokinin (plant cytokine) found in, among other things, coconut milk.
Sure there must be others that can do good things for human skin.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
Kinetin is a cytokinin (plant cytokine) found in, among other things, coconut milk.
Sure there must be others that can do good things for human skin.

If we look back at the history of modern pharmaceutics many, many got their start from plant based medicines!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
Oh there was also talk about it briefly on page 24 of the fantastic actives thread. And then this on "Barefacedtruth" about botanical stem cells:

http://barefacedtruth.com/2011/12/08/botanical-stem-cells-in-skin-care/
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
Possibly stressing `cytokines´ isn´t the right approach when looking at plant stem cells and their products. Look at genistein, from soy. That´s not a hormone, nor human, still apparently it can be used as a replacement for estrogen in the skin. The question should not be, is it chemically identical, but`what does it do´.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Oh there was also talk about it briefly on page 24 of the fantastic actives thread. And then this on "Barefacedtruth" about botanical stem cells:

http://barefacedtruth.com/2011/12/08/botanical-stem-cells-in-skin-care/

I have seen his take on plant stem cells EG, and he also claims that Adipose Stem cells (cytokines) are worthless, but I found information I find to the contrary and quite promising for many women!

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=45705&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=100

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
egyptiangoddess wrote:

This reminds me of Dr. Pickart. He usually disapproves of any new skincare products when asked for his opinion.. Of course, I still like my CPs. Smile
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
Of course everyone thinks their own product is the best. It would be strange if it was otherwise, and someone was trying to sell something he doesn´t believe in.
But if product a works it does not mean that product b does not work.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:33 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |