Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Does Exaggerated Expression cause wrinkles?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Everyone,

I had the honor of watching Jason's act back in April. This guy is so entertaining, and really a breath of fresh air.

You will be blown away with his acts... But he has his own facial exercise routine. I LOVE IT!

I know for many of you, you just can't believe that making expressions isn't the most damaging thing you can do. But really, it's not. You need strength in those muscles. Those wrinkles that set in, like the 11's, happen when your ONLY work your muscles in one fashion. Those people are already imbalanced in muscular structure.

A perpetual frowner will develop 11's very quickly. An angry person will develop 11's very quickly. A frowner has a strong corrugator, but generally a weak frontalis and occipitalis.

Ever see those people who look like they are very angry because their lips are always turned down? They have a STRONG triangularis, and likely a weak Risorius, and zygomaticus, or combo there of. This is why botox is a common treatment in this area. To get the trinagularis to quit yanking the lips down.

Anyhow, you can see Jason contorts his face in a myriad of ways. If exaggerated expressions caused terrible wrinkling, you can bet this guy would be a road map as he's been exaggerating his face for so long.

Unless of course his muscles defy the laws of physics. He could be another super hero. He's funny enough to be one!

His facial exercise program!
http://youtu.be/aM4wKKr-eqM

And OMG, my favorite impersonation:

http://youtu.be/3oCVwSwsvsc

Enjoy!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Hey Everyone,

I had the honor of watching Jason's act back in April. This guy is so entertaining, and really a breath of fresh air.

You will be blown away with his acts... But he has his own facial exercise routine. I LOVE IT!

I know for many of you, you just can't believe that making expressions isn't the most damaging thing you can do. But really, it's not. You need strength in those muscles. Those wrinkles that set in, like the 11's, happen when your ONLY work your muscles in one fashion. Those people are already imbalanced in muscular structure.

A perpetual frowner will develop 11's very quickly. An angry person will develop 11's very quickly. A frowner has a strong corrugator, but generally a weak frontalis and occipitalis.

Ever see those people who look like they are very angry because their lips are always turned down? They have a STRONG triangularis, and likely a weak Risorius, and zygomaticus, or combo there of. This is why botox is a common treatment in this area. To get the trinagularis to quit yanking the lips down.

Anyhow, you can see Jason contorts his face in a myriad of ways. If exaggerated expressions caused terrible wrinkling, you can bet this guy would be a road map as he's been exaggerating his face for so long.

Unless of course his muscles defy the laws of physics. He could be another super hero. He's funny enough to be one!

His facial exercise program!
http://youtu.be/aM4wKKr-eqM

And OMG, my favorite impersonation:

http://youtu.be/3oCVwSwsvsc

Enjoy!

LOL Claudia,

Thanks for the major belly laugh, he is hysterical!

That was like watching Jim Cary doing facial exercises!

The Lady Gaga routine I about bust a gut!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
Oh wow! I loved how he moved his face. Laughing I wish I could do that.

Any idea how old this guy is?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
He's wickedly funny. I was sad when his 45 minute act was up. He not only does the faces, but the voice range!!!

JIM CARREY: http://youtu.be/wq8c31ezDbk

I think I read he's 36 or 37.

Watch this one...He goes from one character to another, changes little costumes in seconds.

http://youtu.be/ENwmxThIfkI

You just know he works his face, and acts for HOURS...

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
He's wickedly funny. I was sad when his 45 minute act was up. He not only does the faces, but the voice range!!!

JIM CARREY: http://youtu.be/wq8c31ezDbk

I think I read he's 36 or 37.

Watch this one...He goes from one character to another, changes little costumes in seconds.

http://youtu.be/ENwmxThIfkI

You just know he works his face, and acts for HOURS...

Bless you Claudia,

I know where to go when I need a laugh! He is truly amazing, does all faces and voices perfectly!

That had me laughing till it hurt! rofl rofl

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, I would totally go to see this guy's show. He has so many videos up on youtube.com; I'm surprised I've never heard of him before now.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
TBH, I don't think he does regular for the public shows. If he does, I want to know WHEN!

He's a motivational speaker, and uses music and his acts to tell a story inline with the topic.

I saw him at an event in April. It was SUCH a treat! His show alone was worth the the price of the training. And OMG... Donny Osmond was there too. That man looks amazing for a guy with 6 grandchildren. He's funnier than I expected. I've never really been a fan, but was quite impressed with him as well.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:11 am      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:

Thank you for posting this.

I am interested in learning more about what you say. I am a qualified exercise professional (body not face!) who always has to know 'why'. I don't currently do any facial exercise but I might actually get the motivation if I really understand it! So I am not in any way disputing what you say, just wanting to learn. Confused

I am pushing 40 and have both elevens and fine horizontal lines on my forehead. The horizontal lines started when I used tanning beds (I know!) but vanished for a few years when I stopped and my skin was more hydrated. The elevens appeared for the first time last year. I am actually known in my career and personal life as a 'smiler' but no crows' feet at all. I do lift my eyebrows a lot when reading/ online both from the forehead and back of the skull IYSWIM. I also frown when tired or concentrating, so can believe all those muscles get more work than the average person. So which muscles would be weakened or dominant to cause the lines please?

Thanks for reading, sorry if it is too long. Embarassed

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:49 am      Reply with quote
Hey firefox... Could you send me some pics? Claudia@flexeffect.com or pm.

And then I'll have a few more questions for you. There are some generic responses, but let's get down to your nitty gritty!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:50 am      Reply with quote
He is very talented. I'm actually surprised he doesn't have all kinds of forehead wrinkles and 11's when he rests his forehead and eyebrows. Hmmm...I thought the reason programs like FE didn't give you wrinkles in your forehead was because you applied resistance? So for example, frowning very hard while pulling your eyebrows in the opposite direction (I'm not saying that's an exercise, I'm just trying to think of a general idea. I know there's a Facercise exercise where you raise your eyebrows, but pull them down with fingers at the same time, applying resistance.)

I suppose he could also do resistance exercises, but it seems moving your face and eyebrows around like that would give you more lines than someone who doesn't (hence the reason people like things such as "frownies"). And I'm sure he doesn't have Botox, I doubt he could move his face like that!

5% products discount

Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:00 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the link.
I have to admit, I'm facinated by the nose twitch. I am determined to learn this move, just for the fun of it Laughing
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:10 am      Reply with quote
RyanA wrote:
He is very talented. I'm actually surprised he doesn't have all kinds of forehead wrinkles and 11's when he rests his forehead and eyebrows. Hmmm...I thought the reason programs like FE didn't give you wrinkles in your forehead was because you applied resistance? So for example, frowning very hard while pulling your eyebrows in the opposite direction (I'm not saying that's an exercise, I'm just trying to think of a general idea. I know there's a Facercise exercise where you raise your eyebrows, but pull them down with fingers at the same time, applying resistance.)

I suppose he could also do resistance exercises, but it seems moving your face and eyebrows around like that would give you more lines than someone who doesn't (hence the reason people like things such as "frownies"). And I'm sure he doesn't have Botox, I doubt he could move his face like that!

If you read Claudia's first post he has his own facial exercise program Ryan, I am not sure but maybe it is on youtube, at least some of it? I would see if he does and find out his theories on it? Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:28 am      Reply with quote
I thought the video she linked was his facial exercises? That's the one I was commenting on. I don't think his "facial exercises" video is for anti-aging or toning; I think it's practices for making funny faces-at least that's what I got from it. It is impressive though!

ETA: I re-watched the vid again and he does have some faint forehead lines, not too bad. I wonder if he applied resistance, would it eliminate those? I am surprised he doesn't have 11's though with all those contortions he does with his eyebrows.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:34 am      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Hey Everyone,

You will be blown away with his acts... But he has his own facial exercise routine. I LOVE IT

The bold portion above in Claudia's post, I am under the impression he does have his own program and not just for making faces! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:38 am      Reply with quote
You guys are crackin' me up.

Ok.. I don't think he's selling a facial exercise program 1)at all or 2)to work the face for anti aging purposes.

Def. Has his own program for the purpose of controling his face and ability to express.

If you look into method acting you'll know this has been done forever and a day.

Ryan, Not to be rude, but that's my point. People THINK that making expression causes wrinkles. In part it does. But when you work the whole range of motion it doesn't. This is a matter of "I think" vs. "I know", opinion/guess vs. the fact of how muscles and tissue react.

He does have some faint lines. Within his act, and with regard what I've seen, I have not seen him apply resistance with the exception of trying to hold off a muscle from moving. Which would strengthen that muscle. Adding lift and such.

Now if he regularly applied resistance, and paid attn. to how it effected him. His lines would go away and likely not reappear.

Or, if he continues on the path I think he's on without regular resistance, he'll likely get some lines. but nothing typically associated to his age. As I suspect he works his face more than the average facial exerciser!

Regardless, he's a handsome man, and I suspect he'll age quite nicely for whatever he does.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:01 am      Reply with quote
Turn about is fair play Claudia, you had my stomach hurting and tears rolling from your posts last night! Laughing

Thanks for setting the record straight! Very Happy

ClaudiaFE wrote:
You guys are crackin' me up.

Ok.. I don't think he's selling a facial exercise program 1)at all or 2)to work the face for anti aging purposes.

Def. Has his own program for the purpose of controling his face and ability to express.

If you look into method acting you'll know this has been done forever and a day.

Ryan, Not to be rude, but that's my point. People THINK that making expression causes wrinkles. In part it does. But when you work the whole range of motion it doesn't. This is a matter of "I think" vs. "I know", opinion/guess vs. the fact of how muscles and tissue react.

He does have some faint lines. Within his act, and with regard what I've seen, I have not seen him apply resistance with the exception of trying to hold off a muscle from moving. Which would strengthen that muscle. Adding lift and such.

Now if he regularly applied resistance, and paid attn. to how it effected him. His lines would go away and likely not reappear.

Or, if he continues on the path I think he's on without regular resistance, he'll likely get some lines. but nothing typically associated to his age. As I suspect he works his face more than the average facial exerciser!

Regardless, he's a handsome man, and I suspect he'll age quite nicely for whatever he does.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:52 pm      Reply with quote
so I have been trying to move my nose like he does and I have managed to move everything in my face but the nose, how does he do it!!!! lol
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:54 pm      Reply with quote
so I have been trying to move my nose like he does and I have managed to move everything in my face but the nose, how does he do it!!!! lol
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:10 am      Reply with quote
Does he describe it in the "exercise video", I can't remember. I know, I can't do that!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:20 am      Reply with quote
Claudia can you please explain how to make the face not get lined then? Without having to send pictures? I don't understand so I'm hoping you can explain. I developed a line/s between brows after a year of chronic pain. (And I'm only 26) Now I try really hard to not let my brows squeeze together anymore. Also have some faint lines on my forehead. How do I get rid of the brow lines other than not squeezing my brows together anymore (in regards to facial exercises I mean)? hmm
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:09 am      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:

And then I'll have a few more questions for you. There are some generic responses, but let's get down to your nitty gritty!

That is very kind of you Claudia. Very Happy I can't get any photos at present because it is cloudy and dark here, but will try when the weather brightens up. I am all for more questions, as you probably know from reading my posts!

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:09 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
ClaudiaFE wrote:

That is very kind of you Claudia. Very Happy I can't get any photos at present because it is cloudy and dark here, but will try when the weather brightens up. I am all for more questions, as you probably know from reading my posts!

I look forward to it. Take your time!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:40 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Claudia can you please explain how to make the face not get lined then? Without having to send pictures? I don't understand so I'm hoping you can explain. I developed a line/s between brows after a year of chronic pain. (And I'm only 26) Now I try really hard to not let my brows squeeze together anymore. Also have some faint lines on my forehead. How do I get rid of the brow lines other than not squeezing my brows together anymore (in regards to facial exercises I mean)? hmm

First of all, very sorry to hear of chronic pain. I hate to hear of a person hurting so much.

In addition to a longer discussion, are you STILL having pain issues?

Is your health now under control? Or are you still coping?

With regards to frowning in particular you want to work the muscle in opposing directions.

And my guess is with constant pain, you are pretty much working the muscle in one direction by always frowning. And you're basically NOT working it with any opposition.

And most likely for you, generically, I would have you sit in the mirror with any exercises that impact the area and have you watch when your lines increase just on visual. Those particular exercises I would have you "mark" for now. While adding more resistance in the opposing directions.

Not sure if you know what it means to "mark" something. It's a term used in dance when we go through the motions but don't do the move full out. I would want you to still maintain the motion, but at this juncture, I would likely have you ease up on the amount of resistance.

With this particular area, I liken it to the imbalance one might get with quads and hams. You still want to work all the muscle groups, but when one is hyper reacting, I'd go light.

For the forehead lines... your scalp (who knew??) is probably a bit weak as well. Muscles to work there too!

In your situation, your illness needs to be accounted for. Your body is already challenged. So you would want to be watchful for additional challenges. You're already showing the stress of illness in your face. When you actually challenge your face, you easily can show more. Which would likely be upsetting.

Does that help at all? Let me know!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:15 am      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
egyptiangoddess wrote:

First of all, very sorry to hear of chronic pain. I hate to hear of a person hurting so much.

In addition to a longer discussion, are you STILL having pain issues?

Is your health now under control? Or are you still coping?

With regards to frowning in particular you want to work the muscle in opposing directions.

And my guess is with constant pain, you are pretty much working the muscle in one direction by always frowning. And you're basically NOT working it with any opposition.

And most likely for you, generically, I would have you sit in the mirror with any exercises that impact the area and have you watch when your lines increase just on visual. Those particular exercises I would have you "mark" for now. While adding more resistance in the opposing directions.

Not sure if you know what it means to "mark" something. It's a term used in dance when we go through the motions but don't do the move full out. I would want you to still maintain the motion, but at this juncture, I would likely have you ease up on the amount of resistance.

With this particular area, I liken it to the imbalance one might get with quads and hams. You still want to work all the muscle groups, but when one is hyper reacting, I'd go light.

For the forehead lines... your scalp (who knew??) is probably a bit weak as well. Muscles to work there too!

In your situation, your illness needs to be accounted for. Your body is already challenged. So you would want to be watchful for additional challenges. You're already showing the stress of illness in your face. When you actually challenge your face, you easily can show more. Which would likely be upsetting.

Does that help at all? Let me know!

Thank you very much Claudia! Smile

I am still coping. It's chronic mouth pain amongst other things.

I looked in the mirror and see what movement causes the lines. Is that called marking? So if I have to do the opposite to that, it would be slightly lifting my brows up and out. So I can feel it slightly above brows and on the sides near my temples also. And my eyes open up a bit. Does that sound right? It's ever so slightly lifting my brows and then outwards to the sides. That, I think, would be the opposite movement.

What do you mean when you say you'd have me go light? And what do you mean if I challenge my face I'm likely to show more? Does that mean I shouldn't do the opposing movement?

Thanks again Claudia, I really appreciate it. Smile
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:40 am      Reply with quote
[quote="egyptiangoddess"]
Quote:

Thank you very much Claudia! Smile

Smile

Quote:
I am still coping. It's chronic mouth pain amongst other things.

OH, this even brings more into the scenario. This is why I answer generically. Since your facial structures are involved with your pain, there are too many things to generically address. I would proceed with caution. Do you know what's causing this pain?

Quote:
I looked in the mirror and see what movement causes the lines. Is that called marking?
No, marking is when you do an exercise but not full out. You don't fully engage.

Quote:
So if I have to do the opposite to that, it would be slightly lifting my brows up and out. So I can feel it slightly above brows and on the sides near my temples also. And my eyes open up a bit. Does that sound right? It's ever so slightly lifting my brows and then outwards to the sides. That, I think, would be the opposite movement.

What do you mean when you say you'd have me go light?

With regard to my program, I would have you work those exercises, opposite to frowning, with MORE effort. Given your situation we'd work slowly together so as to attempt improvement without aggravation. I would have you "mark" and go light with any exercise that actually 'causes the line. And we'd eliminate anything that aggrevates pain or discomfort. I don't want your muscle to lose that memory, but it'd doesn't need to get any stronger at the moment, But still needs to maintain a degree of strength, otherwise, you end up creating the opposite problem.

Quote:
And what do you mean if I challenge my face I'm likely to show more? Does that mean I shouldn't do the opposing movement?

It means when something is wrong with the body, it recovers slowly. Illness shows in your face. Signs of aging are evidence your body is breaking down. A natural process. But often more aggressive in others. Yes, you are young. But you are dealing with something that is already taxing you. That's not a young person's average issue.

So, for example working your body daily is great and productive. If you have the flu, and you work out anyway you will likely look worse.

If you are have chronic disease, and you decide to work out anyway, you have different challenges than the average healthy person doesn't have. You MAY be able to work through those, or not. It all depends. And if you're able to work through it, you may very well look worse for the wear up front. But I can't guarantee a persons results. There are so many variables in the mix, I can't control for all of that. I don't like to tell people to push through what is likely to be a very upsetting scenario. It's your FACE!

I believe working the opposing movement would help AS LONG AS your body has the building blocks necessary to actually recover.

Quote:
Thanks again Claudia, I really appreciate it. :

)

Clear as mud right?

Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:47 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |