Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Oil cleansing for dry but spot prone skin 15 year old boy
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
beaufort323
5% products discount

Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,

Forgive me if this topic has already been covered but Im new to this forum and not quite sure how to search a topic? is that possible? I pulled up the oil cleansing thread but was over whelmed by the pages and pages of info.

My son is 15 and get occasional acne break outs on his neck and forehead , he also gets dry patches. he is getting quite upset about it all and wants me to take him to see a dermatoligist but i would rather go down the more natural route.

Which oils are best for dry acne prone skin please and at what percentages. I have macadamia, hazelnut, apricot, sunflower, rosehip, borage, castor, tea tree oil and extra virgin olive oil. im willing to purchase more oils if these are no good for him.

He also wants a nice moisturiser too if anyone has any diy recipes i could make? he has looked at hylauronic acid on the internet and asked me to look into one with this ingredient. I can order some hylauronic powder if need be

thank you very much
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
beaufort323 wrote:
Hello,

Forgive me if this topic has already been covered but Im new to this forum and not quite sure how to search a topic? is that possible? I pulled up the oil cleansing thread but was over whelmed by the pages and pages of info.

My son is 15 and get occasional acne break outs on his neck and forehead , he also gets dry patches. he is getting quite upset about it all and wants me to take him to see a dermatoligist but i would rather go down the more natural route.

Which oils are best for dry acne prone skin please and at what percentages. I have macadamia, hazelnut, apricot, sunflower, rosehip, borage, castor, tea tree oil and extra virgin olive oil. im willing to purchase more oils if these are no good for him.

He also wants a nice moisturiser too if anyone has any diy recipes i could make? he has looked at hylauronic acid on the internet and asked me to look into one with this ingredient. I can order some hylauronic powder if need be

thank you very much

Hi beaufort, Very Happy

I responded here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7077&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=900

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome! Smile What products is your son using at present, including shaving products? Does he consistently meet or exceed all your government's recommendations for healthy eating and lifestyle? Particularly important are sugar and white/ refined carbs, oily fish and fibre intake. Have you checked with your family doctor whether the dry patches are a mild form of atopic eczema, seborrhoeic dermatitis or xerosis? These can all look very similar but treatment is different.

Is your son's skin dry (not enough oil) or dehydrated (not enough water) or both? The breakouts may not be true acne - skin with a damaged barrier can allow weak opportunistic bacteria to gain access whilst allowing water to leave. The OCM usually utilises castor oil as the main 'cleansing oil' but it might be worth starting with the lowest 10% and increasing if necessary as this oil can be drying and irritant. Then add in any oil low in oleic acid because this fatty acid has been implicated in acne and irritation. I would definitely use an emulsifier like one of the polysorbates to ensure all traces are removed. Thirdly ensure he is using a gentle zinc oxide sunscreen daily INSTEAD of any harsh acne fighting cleansers, exfoliators or gels. Zinc is bacteriostatic so stops acne bacteria growing without irritating skin.

HTH! Smile

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
beaufort323
5% products discount

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
thanks Darkside I got your response and have replied, thank you Smile

Hello firefox, many thanks for your response, he is really healthy, eats lots of veg and fish and drinks lots of water, he is very health conscious.

he is currently using a bulldog face wash

This product contains

Click each ingredient for more information.

Aqua (Water) Cocamidopropyl betaine Coco-glucoside Glycerin Glycereth-26 Sodium lauroyl sarcosinate Acrylates /C10-30 alkyl acrylate crosspolymer Sodium chloride Phenoxyethanol Citrus aurantium bergamia (Bergamot) oil Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) oil Benzoic acid Sodium laurate Sodium hydroxide Artemisia vulgaris (Armoise) oil Camellia sinensis (Green Tea) leaf extract Dehydroacetic acid Pelargoneum graveolens (Geranium) oil Pogostemon cablin (Patchouli) oil Citrus aurantifolia (Lime) oil Evernia furfuracea (Tree Moss) oil Vetiveria zizanoides (Vetivert) oil Ethylhexylglycerin Sodium sarcosinate Polyaminopropyl biguanide Limonene

Not sure what moisturiser he is using, i think its an organic Green people brand, very basic.

He has an oily forehead, normal skin everywhere else except the sides of his nose are dry and red flaky patchy and his chin too, this has only happened in the last few weeks and he hasnt changed any products.

Ive got some polysorbate 80. Which oils are low in oleic acid please?

I have got a devita spf 30 sunscreen with 18% zinc i think

thanks for your help firefox Smile
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
The fact that there is a sudden change is telling you something - working out exactly what needs your inner Sherlock Holmes! Stress? More exfoliation? Weather? Sides of the nose are classic for seborrhoeic dermatitis or rosacea. Not diagnosing but that is a possibility that would be worth excluding. IMO Devita is lovely and very gentle. Very Happy You don't mention shaving products but these might be affecting the neck area - do check the pH because these are often highly alkaline. Also worth checking the pH of the wash, it likely is not the cause if it is not new but may contribute once an issue is ongoing.

Generally sounds good, especially impressed with the diet, your son would be my dream client! Laughing Is he getting enough total fat for a developing young man? And the fish is oily not just white fish?

Of the oils you have in stock IIRC ... olive, macadamia and apricot oil are high in oleic acid. Castor oil, rosehip and borage are much lower. Sunflower is highly variable, there are high and low oleic acid forms. Any oil can easily be checked on Google, just type in "xxx oil fatty acid composition". Yes I have done that before, many times. Cool

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
beaufort323
5% products discount

Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:59 am      Reply with quote
Hi firefox

I will check out his shaving routine, id forgot about that. He has exams on at the moment and a steady girlfriend too and they argue a lot so stress could well be the cause, who knows.

He has mackerel , salmon, tuna, would you recommend he takes a flaxseed oil? I have a huge bottle in my fridge.

What other fats do you recommend for him please?

I will get making an emulsified oil cleanser for him and see how he gets on. i will check out the ph of his products.

I just need a nice recipe for a moisturiser , I will have a look on here for one.

thanks for your help and advice Smile
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:54 am      Reply with quote
Stress could definitely be contributing, this can be well managed with nutrition and physical activity. When under stress the body has a greater need for all nutrients. Be sure he is getting 10,000 steps every day, plus some intense exercise three times a week. The more intense the better for stress management. Also eating little and often through the day, every three to four hours, complete protein at each meal of snack. More exercise obviously means more nutrients.

Great, oily fish! Flaxseed oil contains short chain omega-3s which are converted to the useable long chain format at a rate as low as 5% (higher if diet healthy tho). Better would be to eat oily fish daily or take a triple strength fish body oil supplement on non-fish days if any. This is beneficial for stress management and hormone balance as well as skin. Magnesium is important for stress management; it is depleted in our soils so even healthy diets might not be as rich as we'd like. Sad Magnesium is particularly found in wholegrains, nuts, seeds, beans and lentils. Nuts and seeds are also good sources of healthy fats, protein and fibre.
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/

Aside from nuts and seeds, coconut oil is a good source of healthy fats - some cook with the oil or eat it raw but I prefer my clients to eat wholefoods where possible. So creamed coconut in an Asian curry, dried coconut flakes in breakfast cereal or a muesli bar etc. Rich dark chocolate is another surprising option, full of antioxidants and fibre too. Just be sure to select a low sugar/ diabetic version.

What would work best as a moisturiser depends on what the 'dry patches' are. If simple xerosis the fatty acids stearic and palmitic acids, cholesterol and ceramides would help strengthen the skin barrier. Natural sources include medical grade lanolin, West African shea butter and lecithin. If atopic eczema the same plus *possibly* borage oil for the GLA. However if seborrhoeic dermatitis these lipids might feed the malassezia yeast. Sad Oils should be combined with a humectant - my favourite is aloe vera which has scientifically proven anti-inflammatory, healing and hydrating properties so is lovely after shaving or for many skin complaints. Many on skincare forums rave about sea kelp bioferment or sea emollient which are also natural extracts.

beaufort323
5% products discount

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:47 am      Reply with quote
Hi Firefox

Thanks so much for all this information, its great .

I have some shea butter, I will try him with that, hes using the ocm at the moment but he is still feeling quite tight after using it, I only put 10% castor in it.

I will get some Aloe vera gel too.

I have some coconoil extra virgin coconut oil too so I will see if he can stomach a spoon of that Smile

thanks for all your advice Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:16 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |