Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My final verdict on IPL
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
I had 5 sessions of IPL, each about 3-4 weeks apart. My initial reaction after the first session was it worked. After the scabs fell out, most of my brown spots on the cheeks were gone. Also it appeared my skin was firmer, and pores tighter.

However, I did not see good results from the 2nd to 5th session. Instead I got additional brown spots and patches where I did not have them before that were brought about by the IPL. The affected areas are above the upper lip, along the jawline, and sideburn.

All the brown spots that were removed after the first treatment are all back, too, despite my diligence about applying sunscreen and wearing hats.

So my final verdict is IPL is not for me. I won't do any more of it ever again.

My skin is considered to be Type III/IV, olive color. I tan easily and don't burn quickly. My face is whiter than the rest of the body because I keep my face well shielded from the sun as much as possible.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Natalyn. I'd love for other IPL users to chime in here.. A review thread from various members with different skin types and for various issues would be very very useful.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry Natalyn this didn't work for you. IPL was always something that interested me but I never got around to really checking it out. Thanks for the update.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:29 am      Reply with quote
I was told that IPL would be the best choice for me to get rid of the melasma on my cheeks. So, I went in for 4 treatments, spaced 3 weeks apart (this was about 2 years ago). Same as you, Natalyn, at first it was great. My melasma and brown spots turns dark, dark brown and then fell off. I was in Heaven...for all about 2 weeks when the melasma was back. The cycle started over but I was concerned about it coming back each time, but my dermatologist told me it would eventually go away after the 4th treatment. No such luck! In fact, after doing a little more research, I found out that IPL can actually make melasma WORSE!!! Shock That was the case for me.

It wasn't until my friend told me about at-home face peels and how they got rid of her melasma that I finally found my answer. I don't do them as often as I should do them because they do burn like the dickens, but I'd say I've done them about 8-10 times now, and my melasma is about 75% faded.

Doing facial exercises now, which require me to pull at my skin, I haven't done them in for a few months. But I know that 2-3 more times and my melsama should be gone completely. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:51 am      Reply with quote
I have yet to hear or read anything positive about IPL.
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
sandooch wrote:
I was told that IPL would be the best choice for me to get rid of the melasma on my cheeks. So, I went in for 4 treatments, spaced 3 weeks apart (this was about 2 years ago). Same as you, Natalyn, at first it was great. My melasma and brown spots turns dark, dark brown and then fell off. I was in Heaven...for all about 2 weeks when the melasma was back. The cycle started over but I was concerned about it coming back each time, but my dermatologist told me it would eventually go away after the 4th treatment. No such luck! In fact, after doing a little more research, I found out that IPL can actually make melasma WORSE!!! Shock That was the case for me.

It wasn't until my friend told me about at-home face peels and how they got rid of her melasma that I finally found my answer. I don't do them as often as I should do them because they do burn like the dickens, but I'd say I've done them about 8-10 times now, and my melasma is about 75% faded.

Doing facial exercises now, which require me to pull at my skin, I haven't done them in for a few months. But I know that 2-3 more times and my melsama should be gone completely. Very Happy

Hi Sandooch,

I'd love to know what the at home face peel you use is. I'd like to try it. I tried the TCA peel at the doctor's office 3 times about 4 weeks apart, and it did not rid me of my brown spots. I'm using Fade Bright from platinum right now, but it's only been two weeks. I also use a cream bought at a doctor's office that has hydroquinone. Doesn't seem to help yet. It sucks to have to have this brown patch over my upper lip. It makes me look like I have a small mustache.
sandooch
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
I know what you mean. Melasma is one tough cookie to get rid of unfortunately.

I bought my peels at makeupartistschoice.com. The 65% lactic acid and the 15% TCA. I was told to do the lactic acid once a week or so for 4-5 weeks and then a TCA peel. Wait 3-4 weeks and start over again. I wish I was more consistent with that routine, but life gets in the way sometimes. I had places to go where I didn't want to be seen with peeling skin. Laughing

Check out their before and after pictures!

5% products discount

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:43 am      Reply with quote
Natalyn,

I have been getting IPL about every other year for approx 8 years. I think IPL treatements vary greatly and have only improved over time.

I get my IPL at a plastic surgeon's office by an aesthetician under his supervision. She does not sell packages because it is impossible to determine how many treatments someone needs. She uses a very strong system (I leave with welts on my face, literally, she applies cortisone to reduce swelling) and I make a follow up visit 8 weeks later. Which means a second treatment would occur 8 weeks at the earliest. I look to get rid of some discoloration as well as broken capillaries which IPL is very good at removing, but they can reoccur. A course of IPL is something that will have to be repeated.

Where did you get these IPL treatments done? A drs office will have better/more expensive equipment than a salon or spa. My initial thought is if you were getting them 3-4 weeks and 5 treatments apart that they were not very strong treatments.

Do you know the name of the system that was used? Perhaps you can google it and see what type of setting they are marketing the system to. If it is towards salons then it probably isn't the greatest system.
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hi StellaDiva,

I got the first 4 treatments done at a med spa, and the 5th at a doctor's office but his assistant did it. I don't know if she was a nurse or not. The first 4 treatments were done by a nurse. I don't remember the brand name of the machines, but I think it was a YAG system. I did an IPL treatment at a doctor's office before by a doctor about 2 years ago. I felt nothing and nothing happened. No scabbing. Everything looked exactly the same. The level they did on these last 5 treatments was set at 38. I was told it was very strong, and I had to use numbing cream to be ok, or else I'd scream.

StellaDiva wrote:
Natalyn,

I have been getting IPL about every other year for approx 8 years. I think IPL treatements vary greatly and have only improved over time.

I get my IPL at a plastic surgeon's office by an aesthetician under his supervision. She does not sell packages because it is impossible to determine how many treatments someone needs. She uses a very strong system (I leave with welts on my face, literally, she applies cortisone to reduce swelling) and I make a follow up visit 8 weeks later. Which means a second treatment would occur 8 weeks at the earliest. I look to get rid of some discoloration as well as broken capillaries which IPL is very good at removing, but they can reoccur. A course of IPL is something that will have to be repeated.

Where did you get these IPL treatments done? A drs office will have better/more expensive equipment than a salon or spa. My initial thought is if you were getting them 3-4 weeks and 5 treatments apart that they were not very strong treatments.

Do you know the name of the system that was used? Perhaps you can google it and see what type of setting they are marketing the system to. If it is towards salons then it probably isn't the greatest system.
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Sandooch,

Is what I have above my lips melasma? I thought it looks like a birthmark. I have a similar mark on my knee!

I was wrong about having TCA peels done at a doctor's office. I looked at the web site, and the peel I got was not TCA. It was glycolic acid and something else, but not TCA. I am going to have TCA peels done next month. I hope it works. The nurse said she thinks it would work, and she'd focus on my problem area. I bought TCA peel from the site you mentioned before, and tried it once, still have more peel solution left. I just got scared that I'd mess up, so maybe I'll see how the professional does it, and try to replicate at home. What did you use to neutralize the acid after you applied the peel? I also don't remember how long you're supposed to leave the peel on. Hence my reluctance to try it again. I recall the one and only time I tried TCA peel at home, I did get some scabs, and once they fell off, clear skin was visible underneath, but the spots returned in a week or so.

sandooch wrote:
I know what you mean. Melasma is one tough cookie to get rid of unfortunately.

I bought my peels at makeupartistschoice.com. The 65% lactic acid and the 15% TCA. I was told to do the lactic acid once a week or so for 4-5 weeks and then a TCA peel. Wait 3-4 weeks and start over again. I wish I was more consistent with that routine, but life gets in the way sometimes. I had places to go where I didn't want to be seen with peeling skin. Laughing

Check out their before and after pictures!
StellaDiva
5% products discount

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:00 am      Reply with quote
Hi Natalyn,

YAG and IPL are two different treatments. I have had YAG as a spot treatment following IPL. IPL shouldn't cause scabbing (at least in my experience). Dark spots will flake. Numbing cream never did much for me but there is a unit that blasts really cold air after treatment that helps. Still, I start sweating a little from the pain. Sorry your treatments didn't work!

[quote="Natalyn"]Hi StellaDiva,

I got the first 4 treatments done at a med spa, and the 5th at a doctor's office but his assistant did it. I don't know if she was a nurse or not. The first 4 treatments were done by a nurse. I don't remember the brand name of the machines, but I think it was a YAG system. I did an IPL treatment at a doctor's office before by a doctor about 2 years ago. I felt nothing and nothing happened. No scabbing. Everything looked exactly the same. The level they did on these last 5 treatments was set at 38. I was told it was very strong, and I had to use numbing cream to be ok, or else I'd scream.

[quote="StellaDiva"]Natalyn,

Do you know the name of the system that was used? Perhaps you can google it and see what type of setting they are marketing the system to. If it is towards salons then it probably isn't the greatest system.[/quote][/quote]
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:17 am      Reply with quote
Did you have microdermebrasion done beforehand? From what I have read you need to have microdermebrasion done before for IPL to be truly effective. Indeed it is the people who don't have it done before who tend to have negative effects.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:02 am      Reply with quote
StellaDiva wrote:
Natalyn,

You are absolutely correct. Courses of IPL are usually a waste of time - they just don't use a high enough setting. This is usually because they don't want you leaving the clinic looking battered and bruised. But IPL is definitely a case of "No pain, no gain". My daughter had a treatment yesterday for melasma. She said it was dreadfully painful. She left the clinic with her face on fire - it took a good few hours to subside. All the pigmentation is now visible on the surface and she looks a total mess. Of course, this will all eventually flake off. She was also given cortizone tablets for the swelling.

I'm due to have the same treatment next Tuesday - and I'm dreading it. But I'm glad that the clinic we go to gives a "proper" treatment. I know from my own experience that the milder treatments just don't deliver results and are a complete waste of money.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:03 am      Reply with quote
Keliu is absolutely correct! I have had many in the last 10 years and the results always directly correlate with how high the setting was.
Somtimes a clinic is hesitant on me bc I bruise and so they go lighter on the "zapping". If I do not bruise/welp up then my results are zero. I expect to have downtime/pain and brusing and if not I have paid for nothing. They may feel eassier to take but I know how it should feel and am prepared, mentally and physically.
Now the Yag is always painful, but it is a deep lasr, desinged to penetrate way beyond an IPL.
To me (unfortunately) the IPL/Yag is one of those "no pain, no gain" scenarios!
Now I have never had mcrodermabrasion on the same day as IPL (botox for sure) but I have had it several days to a week before. Can't say that I noticed that so much but I will def have to try that.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:08 am      Reply with quote
What kind of down time do you have if you have IPL to treat redness/broken caps?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
What kind of down time do you have if you have IPL to treat redness/broken caps?

If you are swolen or bruised, it may take a week to get back to normal. If you don't have any sun damage appear, your face won't be a blotchy mess - so you may have minimal down time.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:15 am      Reply with quote
It is generally 5-7 days, could be as much as 10 for all bruises to fade if they are large. It depends on the amount of bruising for me.

5% products discount

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
If you don't plan any important functions after your IPL, the 'bruising' can be covered up pretty decently with concealer. There should be less hesitation to use a higher setting if you acknowledge you're willing to deal with the redness and swelling.

Moon - It helps to have a peel a week beforehand. I did a salicyclic/glycolic peel on my own.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:40 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |