Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How Often Do You Wash Your Face?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:27 am      Reply with quote
How often do you wash your face?

And is it better to wash once or twice a day in order to delay aging?
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:50 am      Reply with quote
I wash my face once to twice a day depending on my schedule and commitments that day. IMO depends what you cleanse with and what you are removing - leaving pollution, sweat or cosmetics in place doesn't do our skin any favours. Neither does using a cleanser that strips the lipids from our skin barrier or contributes to low grade inflammation. Neither will soaking with water such that you flush out some of the natural moisturising factors. Confused

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
nuttymadam
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:04 am      Reply with quote
I dont think cleansing twice will delay the effects of aging but I do think it will allow products to penetrate better.

I listen to my skin and wash twice usually, but some times I splash with water if Im dry.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
I cleanse with rinse-off oils at night - first to remove makeup, then to ocm/massage. If I'm barely able to keep my eyes open, its a quick, diy face-wipe. Embarassed

IF I've been so negligent as to only use wipes at night, I cleanse/massage with rinse-off oils in the morning.
But normally, just water and a light steam & gentle wipe with microfibre cloth to get the natural oils off.

For the record, I have oily skin.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
I have dry skin. I cleanse only at night, and splash with water in the morning. This has made a huge difference in my skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
I have dry skin. I cleanse only at night, and splash with water in the morning. This has made a huge difference in my skin.

Why did you choose to cleanse at night, instead of in the morning?
syndi222
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
I know it's bad but i wash my face (w/ ProDerm's gentle cleanser) at least three times a day (sometimes four). I wash it when I wake up, before hot yoga, after hot yoga, and before sleep....
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:16 am      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
erg wrote:

Why did you choose to cleanse at night, instead of in the morning?

I wear eye makeup and that needs to be removed, but most importantly I want my skin cleaned and ready for serums/creams etc. In the morning, my skin is not dirty - so a splash of water is fine.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
Twice a day for me. In the morning, I want to be sure I get the last vestiges of retin A off.

I find washing my face is a good wake-r-upper Smile
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
twice a day for me too, kinda hard for me to shower and not wash my face, shampoo runs down it Laughing ! I also thought we excrete toxins all night long, so best to wash them off in the morning. Have to wash again at night, I will not sleep in makeup!
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
Probably once with a cleanser, and once with hot water and ncn's mirco fibre cloth. I find that if I use soap or cleansers (surprisingly apart from reluma's cleanser) my skin gets really tight and dry and flakey.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:36 am      Reply with quote
Honestly, it really depends on what kind of skin you have. For dry skin, you can get away with really scrubbing once every other day or so and doing a light wash on the off days. For oily skin, you would want to do a good wash every day.
cyndi17
5% products discount

Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
I cleanse twice a day, and always try to use something gentle. In the AM I tend to use a foaming cleanser, and in the PM I double cleanse - once with a cream or oil cleanser to remove makeup, then with a foaming cleanser. I had tried more active cleansers such as the Jan Marini glycolic one, but it was too harsh for my skin.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
I wash twice a day. Once before I put on my morning stuff, and once before I put on my night stuff.

I think it just depends on your skin type. My mom has really dry skin and she washes once a day.
Lightshox
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
I wash my face twice a day and no more. At night, before I apply Tazorac, I cleanse with La Roche Posay Toleriane Foaming Clanser and in the morning, to avoid irritation/dryness, I cleanse with Pevonia Sensitive Skin Cleanser. My skin is soft and smooth!
micfreeb

Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
I wash twice a day -- once in the morning and once at night before I go to bed. Since I have oily skin, I sometimes wash my face in the middle of the day when it's hot. I use Purpose cleansing wash, though, since it's soap-free and gentle.
eliotxx

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:13 am      Reply with quote
I have been noticing that my skin seems to look the best in the morning before I wash it. It's soft and plump. But then I wash it-always with something gentle (right now Laventine olive oil), and it seems to lose it's glow.

Since retin-a my skin has changed to dry. I've always been combo or oily, so caring for dry skin is new to me. Maybe cleansing twice is actually bad for it?

Also,can you just go ahead and put on creams and sunscreen over unwashed skin? It feels so WROONNGG! lol
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
If you use retin A, I would recommend washing in the morning. It's usually best to not have any residual retin A on your skin when getting any sun exposure. Do you use a moisturizer after washing in the morning? The oil based cleanser sounds like it should be gentle.

My skin gets flaky sometimes with retin A as well. I do better when I use it every other night.
MisterCat

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:43 am      Reply with quote
Eliotxx, ShastaGirl,

I used to use Retin-A and this is what my dermatologist recommended:

Wash twice a day. Definitely wash your face with a very gentle wash in the morning and remember to apply an SPF moisturizer! Retin-A makes your skin sensitive and more susceptible to sunburns so you need to protect it. Depending on your ethnicity you may need a higher SPF (I'm Asian and my doc had me on SPF 15).

I also developed very dry skin while using Retin-A and at the time my dermatologist had me using the Aveeno washes due to the gentleness and the fact that it contained oatmeal compounds. It really helped with the condition of my skin.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:41 am      Reply with quote
I used to think that washing my (oily) face meant stripping it of all oils. Nope. If you want to use a non-oil based cleanser which does that, at least don't rub it in - just gently move it over the surface to remove surface dirt and excess oil. That way your skin will have the option of taking in or refusing the rest without your insistance!

I kinda think that acne and clogged pores are mostly the result of irritation and ph balance thrown off, usually by products we use to clear the dead skin etc. It's a vicious cycle. If you're using products which do that, try and be gentle and maybe use a diluted acv toner to bring the ph back.

And if you're flaking as a result of Retin-A, pull back and use it less often or adjust your cleansing products or move to a gentler routine. Flaking is not an indication that it's working, it means its too much for your skin. Not rubbing it in as hard might just work.

It took me too long to figure out what works for me. My skin is happy now, so I hope that helps someone!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Cat_eyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
In the morning I just rinse well with warm water. I don't think its necessary to use anything else in the am. Over night the skin accumulates allot of oil and dust particles which are easily just rinsed off. At night I'm usually washing off make-up; so I use either OCM or Heather Blossum Cleanser from Garden of wisdom.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
I think there is perhaps some benefit in only cleansing once a day. I agree it does feel odd but I have only been cleansing my skin once a day for the past few days and my skin is much improved and has a much better texture. This really makes me wonder if some of the problems I and many other Retin A users is from over stripping the skin so that the top layer taken away? It just seems that so many people complain of problems with poor skin texture, big pores etc which I did but they all seem better after allowing my skin to regrow its external layer?

Not sure if I would want to leave retin a on my face during the day though although it is no longer active by the morning?
Cat_eyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
pandora77 wrote:
I think there is perhaps some benefit in only cleansing once a day. I agree it does feel odd but I have only been cleansing my skin once a day for the past few days and my skin is much improved and has a much better texture. This really makes me wonder if some of the problems I and many other Retin A users is from over stripping the skin so that the top layer taken away? It just seems that so many people complain of problems with poor skin texture, big pores etc which I did but they all seem better after allowing my skin to regrow its external layer?

Not sure if I would want to leave retin a on my face during the day though although it is no longer active by the morning?

I really do think allot of people are over washing their face. You can rinse it off in the am and that will take care of any residual retin A. Too much washing can cause more oil. The skin trys to compensate and maintain its PH balance which is not disrupted by plain water.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
I cleanse mine at least twice a day. Some days more often, I hate to work out with sunscreen/make-up on, I feel it doesn't allow skin to sweat properly.
Not fond of foaming cleansers though, they ruin my skin. Cleansing waters are best for me. Cool

From my own personal experience - dirty skin ages faster or at least doesn't behave as well. There's sweat, dust, grime and god knows what on our skin and it's all full of radicals and toxins (well, real stuff, not some hippy "toxins", like heavy metals, metabolic waste skin excretes constantly or random stuff like dyes from pillow cases that happen to irritate skin on low level), I'm not allowing that to sit on my skin.
xoxStarlight

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
I tend to wash my face using cleanser 3 times a day.

I have extremely oily skin though
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:43 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |