Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
How long does it take till tretinoin works?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
textelle

Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,

I am new in this forum. I found it on my search about tretinoin, tretinoins creams and their impact on anti aging.

I am female, 46 - and from Germany, so please do excuse my english. I hope you can understand me.

I saw that there are tons of postings to tretinoin, but I still am not sure, when I can expect results from it.

To my situation: My scin is rather oily, I am tending to acne tarda too. So I started using tretinoin cream in February with 0,025 %, three times a week. Then I slowly went up to 0,05 % and to 0,1 %. I am using the creams about five times a week, always alternating between the three strenghts - according to the skin "texture", so that the skin won't get too red and peel to much.

Though of this rather long period of use (I find!) I still can't really see that much of a difference. My skin is still not smooth, the pores are still rather big, I still get pimples, I still have lines. Wink)

So I wonder:

- Am I not patient enough?
- Do I use the creams not correctly?
- If that: What can I do better?

Thanks for your interest and reading - I hope I did describe the problem well enough. I am eager to read your answers. Very HappyD

Greetings from Germany!
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:21 am      Reply with quote
Hello,
Welcome to EDS Smile

From my understanding of Tretinoin its something you need to use for the longterm. I wouldn't say its a quick fix skincare product. I've read many people us it over the course of 1-2 years before they start to see its full benefits, maybe longer. I've been using it since January and its only now that I notice my skin is looking a little better. But I do also attribute that to other products I use and also to my clarisonic which has made a big difference.

I suppose people have likened retinoids like a product which say in 10 years time you may look younger than perhaps if you had never used it. I would suggest to use it every second day on the 0.5% if you tolerate it and on alternate days use other products which may help with your pores and pimples. I actually stopped Tretinoin and used Isotretinoin for a few weeks (better for acne), once the breakouts lessened I went back to Tretinoin.

But to answer your questions Yes preserver with it a little more and as for what you can do better and if you use creams correctly it really depends what else you use and how you use them. Just make sure you use tretinoin at nights only as your last skincare step before bed and wear sunscreen during the day.
GL
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:22 am      Reply with quote
Welcome! Smile Three months is not long enough to experience an anti-ageing effect from Retin-A. Research shows there is no need to go to the highest strength, you are better using a strength your skin has no redness or peeling with on a daily basis. Redness and peeling are a sign of irritation/ inflammation and that the skin barrier is being damaged, all of which you want to avoid. Your entire skincare routine and lifestyle are of relevance: if you are using harsh cleansers and exfoliators, or not eating a hydrating/ low glycaemic index/ anti-inflammatory diet you will not experience the full benefits of Retin-A.

Another product you might consider is the KinNiaNag serum. This contains a combination of actives which are proven in anti-ageing, can help increase the amount of ceramides in the skin so increasing hydration, help normalise sebum production and reduce acne.
http://www.skincaretalk.com/a/kinnianag-kinetin-b3-nag-antiaging-anti-acne-serum
Do also be sure to use a gentle zinc oxide sunscreen of SPF30+ daily. Retin-A causes photosensitivity so increased UV protection is required, and zinc oxide is bacteriostatic so helps stop acne bacteria taking hold.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with everything said. There's no need to go up in strength with tretinoin. People think more is better, but it isn't the case.
You want to AVOID peeling and redness. Don't use tretinoin as often and like dionie said, alternate with gentler products.

For the record, I responded well right away to tretinoin, so it might be that you're not cut out for it. There are a lot of people who just don't find it effective.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
You can try:

1) Tazaroc cream or gel. It is considered to be the strongest retinoid. Yet, I find it less irritating than tretinoin.

2) Lactic Acid Peel if you skin does not get irritated while using tretinoin 5 times a day. Lucky you!

3) Add a powerful anti-oxidant serum full of beneficial actives ( for example, KNN serum or Vitamin C Serum or any other serum with high % of actives).

4) Dry brushing or dermaroller can also be helpful.
textelle

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
First of all: Thank you all for the warm welcome! Smile

Firefox7275 wrote:
Research shows there is no need to go to the highest strength, you are better using a strength your skin has no redness or peeling with on a daily basis.

Okay, it is good to know that!

Quote:
exfoliators, or not eating a hydrating/ low glycaemic index/ anti-inflammatory diet you will not experience the full benefits of Retin-A.

Okay, I confess I never heard about that! Can I find more information here in this forum?

Quote:
Do also be sure to use a gentle zinc oxide sunscreen of SPF30+ daily.

Okay, I am using SPF 20. And I am not so much in the sun ...?

Thank you very much!

Susi.
textelle

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, and thanks for your answer!

RussianSunshine wrote:
You can try:

1) Tazaroc cream or gel. It is considered to be the strongest retinoid. Yet, I find it less irritating than tretinoin.

okay. I have to find out more about this.

Quote:
2) Lactic Acid Peel if you skin does not get irritated while using tretinoin 5 times a day. Lucky you!

Well, I guess it is because I went up so slowly!

Quote:

4) Dry brushing or dermaroller can also be helpful.

I will check this, thanks!

Susi.
textelle

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
I agree with everything said. There's no need to go up in strength with tretinoin. People think more is better, but it isn't the case.

Okay, it is good to hear that. Because actually that is what I thought!

Quote:

For the record, I responded well right away to tretinoin, so it might be that you're not cut out for it. There are a lot of people who just don't find it effective.

well, I don't want to say, that it did not do anything at all! My skin got lighter, I find, and also a bit smoother in some parts. But in other areas it didn't help so much yet.

Thanks, Susi!
textelle

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
dionie wrote:

From my understanding of Tretinoin its something you need to use for the longterm. I wouldn't say its a quick fix skincare product. I've read many people us it over the course of 1-2 years before they start to see its full benefits, maybe longer. I've been using it since January and its only now that I notice my skin is looking a little better. But I do also attribute that to other products I use and also to my clarisonic which has made a big difference.

Okay, that is good to know.

What is clarisonic? I hope this is not a dump question. Smile We don't have all your products in Germany. Very Happy When I visit the States (a good friend of mine lives in NYC), I always feel a bit like in an developing country here in Germany, when I visit a US-drugstore. You have got soooo many products! Smile

Thank you for your answer!

Susi.
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
textelle wrote:
dionie wrote:

Okay, that is good to know.

What is clarisonic? I hope this is not a dump question. Smile We don't have all your products in Germany. Very Happy When I visit the States (a good friend of mine lives in NYC), I always feel a bit like in an developing country here in Germany, when I visit a US-drugstore. You have got soooo many products! Smile

Thank you for your answer!

Susi.

http://www.cultbeauty.co.uk/clarisonic/
Not sure if you can buy products from UK? Clarisonic is a cleansing system and I find it really cleans my skin and also serves as a type of manual exfoliation. But I would recommend using it with gentle cleansers. I use it every night only. But I agree with RussianSunshine invest in a good antioxidant serum, or maybe even in some topical Vit C too.
GL
StellaDiva
5% products discount

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:09 am      Reply with quote
To avoid further irritation, be sure your skin is completely dry before applying tretinoin. A doctor told me this twenty years ago and I rarely hear this mentioned. Wait 5 minutes after washing your face. Using less product is better than using more (a small pea sized amount).
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:25 am      Reply with quote
textelle wrote:

Quote:
exfoliators, or not eating a hydrating/ low glycaemic index/ anti-inflammatory diet you will not experience the full benefits of Retin-A.

Okay, I confess I never heard about that! Can I find more information here in this forum?

Quote:
Do also be sure to use a gentle zinc oxide sunscreen of SPF30+ daily.

Okay, I am using SPF 20. And I am not so much in the sun ...?

Thank you very much!

Susi.

I've posted about anti-inflammatory low glycaemic index diets before, you should be able to find stuff if you run a search. If you don't understand anything feel free to bump the thread and I will try to clarify.

IMO you really do need a higher SPF physical sunscreen: UV rays can penetrate glass, cloud and the shade, bounce off concrete, snow, sand and water. Furthermore many women don't apply sufficient product, don't reapply frequently enough to get the full SPF, or don't apply their chemical sunscreen to bare skin. SPF15 only confers 92% protection but SPF30 confers 97%, and you are using a product (Retin-A) that is photosensitising so that 5% or so could really matter. I don't know what is available in Germany, but Devita Rx Ultrasolar 50 is suitable for oily skin.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
nuttymadam
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:53 am      Reply with quote
For me it "works" within a week I notice I shed skin and it looks more clear, but for wrinkles it took over a year

5% products discount

Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:50 am      Reply with quote
If you are still breaking out and using tretinoin, maybe you should have your doctor or dermatologist write a prescription for an antibiotic (tetracycline). The retin a works great for me but I'm in my 50's and don't often get breakouts, but it has done wonders for smoothing out my skin, making it look brighter, clearer - I've been using for about 2 years but not every night. When I was in my teens/20's I took a tetracycline and it cleared my skin up very well but I never had a bad complexion.
PatKyle
5% products discount

Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:33 am      Reply with quote
Took me 2 weeks to see some changes and 4 weeks to see an improvement. Started with 0.05% and currently Im using 0.1%. My worst week was the second (very dry skin). Remember, everyone's skin is different!
The best price I have found online for Tretinoin was at http://www.verifiedwebs.net/go/Tretinoin Very Happy (I use 10% coupon code "10SALE10")
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |