Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
oily skin with lots of acne and open pores
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
annawanna

Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:10 am      Reply with quote
I would really appreciate if anybody could please advise me on a regimen that will improve the look of my skin. It has just erupted with acne and cystic spots that are so so painful. My skin has lately become very oily and my pores are looking huge.

I'm 25 and never suffered acne until my 20's. I'm hugely unhappy with the shape of my face too but have started flex effect in the hopes maybe that will improve!

I should probably say I have recently been diagnosed with chronic lyme disease which may have been the cause of my increasingly horrific looking face over the years. I just started on alpha lipoic acid supplements I am wondering whether it is causing me to purge with all these spots. I am also on long term anti biotics, both these things are meant to treat spots too, yet I now have more!!

I have today ordered some Cetaphil cleansing wash for normal/oily skin. I am planning to use this in morning. I have also just started using witch hazel as a toner (it is just a cheap one does it need to be organic?) then I just put a bit of vit E or rosehip oil on my face.

In pm I have started OCM with 50% castor oil and 50% olive oil then use witch hazel then a bit of coconut oil for over night.

I occasionally cleanse with mashed up aspirin in water if I have lots of acne too. How often should I do this? And how often should I be steaming my face? :/

I am hoping to buy all ingredients to make my own vit C serum and I want to buy some retinol which may help with the acne scars I also have. I am also looking at using a green clay mask once a week and for makeup am tempted to get some Benefit porefessional.

Am I on the right tracks in peoples opinions? I am on a low low budget also with not being able to work right now. I know I can only do so much as my face could be due to the lyme. I had hoped my healthy gluten, dairy and sugar free diet would make my skin look great but alas no!!
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Welcome! Smile Sorry to hear about your health problems. You say you are on a fairly strict exclusion diet, is this being supervised by a registered dietician? Are you taking in an alternative source of easily absorbed calcium, eating low glycaemic carbs (beans, lentils, brown basmati rice, sweet potatoes), plenty of oily fish and other healthy fats? Are you taking a freeze-dried probiotic (friendly bacteria) capsule at a different time of day to the antibiotics?

Given the level of stress your body will be under with the Lyme Disease and antibiotics IMO make your routine as gentle and healing as possible. Don't attack your skin with harsh cleansers, exfoliants or aggressive actives. Cetaphil contains sulphate surfactants which are known irritants, witch hazel is astringent and often contains drying alcohol, coconut oil is highly comedogenic, some people find rosehip oil comedogenic too - this may be because research suggests the fatty acids LA and ALA are pro-inflammatory. Steaming and scrubbing your skin can also increase irritation and inflammation. Less is invariably more when skin is very stressed.

You might consider adding an emulsifier to the OCM such as one of the polysorbates, you then won't need to strip your skin barrier with a foaming wash. This ensures ALL the oil rinses clean with water. Secondly be sure to use a gentle zinc oxide sunscreen daily, this is bacteriostatic (stops bacteria growing) as well as protecting from UV damage. One of my favourite actives is aloe vera - research proves this has anti-inflammatory, wound healing, hydrating and collagen inducing properties! Very Happy

A product you might consider DIYing is the KinNiaNag serum. This contains a combination of actives which are proven in anti-ageing, can help increase the amount of ceramides in the skin so increasing hydration, help normalise sebum production and reduce acne. It's gentle enough for those with rosacea and my eczematous skin. http://www.skincaretalk.com/a/kinnianag-kinetin-b3-nag-antiaging-anti-acne-serum
You can make your own with a kit from here. One serum will last you a couple of months, and the kit is enough for several serums so not expensive. http://stores.skinessentialactives.com/-strse-93/Kinetin-DIY-kit%2C-SeaKinNiaNAG/Detail.bok

IMO add in vitamin C and/ or retinol once the antibiotics are out of your system and your skin is less irritated and inflamed. Both retinoids and the acid form of vitamin C can cause or contribute to irritation and inflammation which is the last thing your skin needs at present.

HTH. Wink

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
teago
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
What Firefox said! Smile

I have struggled with my skin a lot this year (antibiotics etc etc) and I have found a cleanser that makes me feel so nice and balanced I dont need to use a heavy moisturiser at night like I use to, just a light Vit C serum around my eyes and the lines from nose to mouth.

As Firefox said, those oils are probably not the best for your skin right now. I too have tried them all over the years and they never sank in, blocked my pores and my skin felt even drier underneath the oils!

My best friend has become a hydrating mist which Im happy to spritz all over my face when I feel tight but it doesnt have anything to block my pores.
Long_Haired_Hippie

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
i am by no means any kind of expert so take with a large grain of salt. im sorry for the health troubles you have been having i hope you can resolve/control them promptly. i feel for about your breakouts i had minimal skin problems until i was 18 then my health and my skin went down the crapper Sad.

my 2 cents is wondering if youve tried glycolic acid yet? i just started with 5 percent nightly about 3 weeks ago and i have seen a huge differance in pore size and blackheads my cysts and white heads have reduced as well. im not where i want to be yet but i plan to give it 3 months before i up the %. only speaking from limeted persona experiance so ymmv. good luck!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
My advice is to see a dermatologist if possible. Sorry you're having problems. Skin issues can be so frustrating.
annawanna

Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:13 am      Reply with quote
thank you for replies Smile and apologies for my delay in responding my laptop decided to croak it!

Firefox would an emulsifier be something like Jojoba oil? I've just started to add this. I have stopped using coconut oil and stopped steaming my face for now. Could you recommend a good (cheap) sunscreen? I've been using one by Clinique - City block, it says its not oily but I think it could be contributing to the state of my skin.

Thank you for the link to the serum I had never heard of that one before! Thank you for the advise I realise Lyme disease is going to make things quite difficult

Teago which cleanser have you found that helped you?Do you use any moisturiser at all? I am stuck in finding one that is light enough for my oily skin! I'm fed up of blotting it all day and the pain from the acne really hurts

Long Haired Hippy I actually have some of that somewhere and a toner. I've been too scared to use it in the past as its 10% I think at the time I'd purchased the wrong one. I know I probably shouldn't use anything too harsh on my skin right now but it really is in a sorry state I don't want to leave the house! I would use an acid peel if I knew it would help sort of my spots and blemishes

Elvisshops I haven't been to a dermatologist before I am going to look into that if its not too expensive. I'm in the UK not sure how accessible they are over here.

I'm still very confused by what sort of skin care regime I should be doing :/ I could post a picture of my skin once my laptop is fixed it might give you all nightmares though lol
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
Jojoba is technically a wax but treated as an oil; an emulsifier helps oil mix with water and rinse completely clean without stripping. As suggested try one of the polysorbates.

Since you are in the UK your GP may be willing to refer you to a dermatologist. This takes time but is free on the NHS. If your GP is unhelpful, try another doctor in the same practice - ask at reception which has a special interest in dermatology. And are you under the care of a registered dietician? Again you can be referred on the NHS, should be IMO for a strict exclusion diet.

Most UK people seem to be importing or DIYing their sunscreen because we are poorly served here. Silicones make some people break out and IIRC they are in City Block (suffix -cone, -conol, -xane). Radicallan might be worth PMing about sunscreens available here. I am using Devita - the Rx Ultrasolar 50 is very light and aimed at those with acne, the Body Block is cheaper but richer. Both these are effective as an all-in-one moisturiser and sunscreen.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
A friend I have in the UK is having good luck with Caribbean Blue All-Natural Sunscreen Sport SPF25 - 120ml £14.95. They do have acne prone oily skin, it may work for you? We never know everyone can react differently but thought I would mention it as an option. Smile

http://www.thenaturalskincarecompany.co.uk/caribbean-blue-baby-sunscreen-spf25.html

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
annawanna wrote:

Teago which cleanser have you found that helped you?Do you use any moisturiser at all? I am stuck in finding one that is light enough for my oily skin! I'm fed up of blotting it all day and the pain from the acne really hurts

I'm still very confused by what sort of skin care regime I should be doing :/ I could post a picture of my skin once my laptop is fixed it might give you all nightmares though lol

I use an Australian brand Sukin but have also had success with Alba Botanica.
I have really simplified my routine because I too was confused. I was using enzymes, Glycolic, Vit C etc etc and now in the AM I cleanse, tone and sunscreen; PM I cleanse (which removes my makeup), tone and apply Vit C serum around my eyes.

When I was using a lot of products my skin was clearer than it was previously but my skin was so very easily irritated and feeling very thin and lacking volume (and Im only in my twenties!) it also didnt stop those painful deep cysts that actually turned purple like blood blisters on my pale skin. So I gradually weaned my skin off of it and now its much more simple but my skin is still clear.
I should note I use the Clarisonic every 2nd day or so as well as Exfolikate by Kate Somerville once a week which may be helping to keep my skin clear.
annawanna

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:51 am      Reply with quote
Ok Firefox thanks so much for extra information.

I didn't realise the NHS dermatologists would be worth going to so I will definitely try for a referral. I'm not seeing a dietitian no, I'm not having much luck with the NHS with my Lyme diagnosis so have gone private hence my lack of funds!! I've seen one in the past who recommended I take shakes full of sugar and to eat more puddings so I wasn't overly impressed.

The Devita looks good, I found it reduced on the amazon which would work out cheaper than buying for the Uk site, however it said it had titanium in it? Is this a bad thing? I don't really fancy putting that on my face :/ I do like the idea of an all in one moisturiser as I have no clue which moisturiser I should even be using on my skin AM.

Thank you for that link darkmoon, that is reasonably priced I like that! I will look into that for sure.

I too would like to keep my routine as simple as possible. Teago what do you use for a toner? Ooh that Clarisonic looks good! Out of my price range right now.. but looks fun. Do you feel like that stopped the acne? Does it have an effect on pore size too? Damn wish lyme wasn't taking all my money lol I want to spend
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:21 am      Reply with quote
How are you getting on with your skin and Lyme treatment Annawanna? Who recommended the strict exclusion diet, and did they go through what you should eat instead to ensure the full complement of nutrients in your diet?

Titanium dioxide is one of the two mineral sunscreen agents alongside zinc oxide. Doesn't penetrate like chemical agents do and nano particles might, just sits there deflecting UV rays. Titanium is used in many make up products. The sunscreen DarkMoon linked to us based on coconut oil which is comedogenic.

annawanna

Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:03 am      Reply with quote
I decided to do this diet myself due to the stomach problems I experience when I eat those foods. I am supplementing with the nutrients I am missing out on. Maybe thats not enough? I need to be on an anti inflammatory diet though and no sugar not even from fruits Sad

Thank you for clarifying about the sunscreen I just wasn't sure. Should I be using a cloth to help with my skin? I saw some posts on a Muslin cloth I used to have one from NCN

thanks again for your help
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:20 am      Reply with quote
Lifestyle healthcare is what I do for a living which is why the restrictive diet thing is a red flag for me. How did you diagnose exactly which foods were causing the digestive problems? Did you do a food diary for a dietician or a full exclusion diet? Many times laymen incorrectly assess what the issue actually is. For example blaming gluten when the issue is refined carbs, too large a portion size, imbalanced gut flora or a combination. In most cases it's actually the carbohydrates not the grain protein that is the culprit; gluten allergy (coeliac disease) is serious.

Agree totally with the anti-inflammatory diet, but you don't need to be totally sugar free to achieve that. Different sugars have very different effects on the blood sugar (high/ low glycaemic index), certain complex carbs are as bad as sugar, some fruits are low sugar/ low glycaemic index / low glycaemic load yet highly nutritious. Exactly which foods are you avoiding and exactly which nutrients are you supplementing? Are you eating plenty of oily fish and the full rainbow of colours in your nine portions of veggies including the blue/ purple group?

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:01 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
Lifestyle healthcare is what I do for a living which is why the restrictive diet thing is a red flag for me. How did you diagnose exactly which foods were causing the digestive problems? Did you do a food diary for a dietician or a full exclusion diet? Many times laymen incorrectly assess what the issue actually is. For example blaming gluten when the issue is refined carbs, too large a portion size, imbalanced gut flora or a combination. In most cases it's actually the carbohydrates not the grain protein that is the culprit; gluten allergy (coeliac disease) is serious.

Agree totally with the anti-inflammatory diet, but you don't need to be totally sugar free to achieve that. Different sugars have very different effects on the blood sugar (high/ low glycaemic index), certain complex carbs are as bad as sugar, some fruits are low sugar/ low glycaemic index / low glycaemic load yet highly nutritious. Exactly which foods are you avoiding and exactly which nutrients are you supplementing? Are you eating plenty of oily fish and the full rainbow of colours in your nine portions of veggies including the blue/ purple group?

Firefox one of my sons is cursed with UC and when in "flair" he can not have fiber above 3gm, and that is hard to do and get proper nutrition! My only option for him (sometimes 6+ months) was to juice not blend fruits and veggies. I also have a friend with Crone's and same thing, some just can't eat fiber at times especially insoluble fiber!

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:10 am      Reply with quote
For the last year I have gradually become more and more intolerant to anything with gluten in it even stock cubes. I get bloating with pain and gas. My IBS has been almost symptom free since I did this. I tried a bit of cheese the other day and it happened again so I know I can't eat that. My lyme disease specialist says it weakens your body to a state where it can no longer tolerate foods. I could probably do better with my diet to be honest but I can't afford to see a nutritionist who isn't on the NHS. I had the coelic b test and it was normal so they believe I don't have a problem with these foods.

Any sort of sugar feeds lyme so I am steering clear whilst I attempt to treat it. I do eat berries on occasion due to their lower sugar content.

I take a multi vitamin, omega 3, calcium, magnesium citrate, vit D, alpha lipoic acid, and vit B complex. I am going to start drinking green smoothies again to ensure I get all my veggies daily. I don't eat much fish no :/ I've also been trying to put on weight lately but this diet is making it so difficult. I have a protein shake at least once a day also.

I am beginning to realise my diet may be a big problem, thanks for alerting me to this. I thought since I have a relatively healthy lifestyle my skin might improve I never thought it would get worse
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:44 am      Reply with quote
The title nutritionist holds little meaning here in the UK - some are highly qualified, some did an online multiple guess 'exam' that is not accredited by any educational establishment nor governing body. I am more than happy to help you with diet and am qualified to degree level, tho am do not pretend to be a state registered dietician. Has your specialist spoken to you about Leaky Gut Syndrome? Cheese ... so perhaps the casein rather than the lactose content. For IBS a combination of long chain omega-3s and probiotic bacteria have proven beneficial in many cases. Obviously your need for antibiotics means the probiotics won't colonise the gut as yet. Sad

Loads of questions .... What sort of protein shake, whey? How much DHA and EPA per day in the omega-3 supplement? Why are you taking individual micronutrients as well as a complete multi vitamin/ mineral? How are you with plain bio yoghurt? Are you replacing gluten-rich grains with beans, lentils, sweet potato, brown basmati rice and so on? Do you dislike fish? Are you mindfully taking small mouthfuls and chewing your food thoroughly?

Greens are only one colour, it's important to take in all the colours each day (ideally two each of yellow, orange, red, green and blue/ purple) to get the full complement of phytonutrients. Over-emphasise one group and you risk binding micronutrients so they are not absorbed properly. The good news is that beans, lentils and sweet potatoes count towards your nine a day so if you are clever dropping gluten rich grains can work in your favour. If you are trying to gain weight without affecting your blood sugar the obvious way would be to slowly increase your intake of healthy fats - creamed coconut, sugar free dark chocolate, avocado, olives, nuts, seeds, very oily fish like sardines (depends what you enjoy and can tolerate). I advocate whole foods rather than extracted oils where possible because this means you take in extra minerals or fibre.

Try not to stress - easier said than done! - because the body and skin particularly have the most amazing capacity for repair and regeneration. This will obviously take time after you come off the antibiotics, but being diagnosed is a massive step in the right direction. I was too sick to work when I started researching nutrition and physical activity, prior that I was in other fields within healthcare. The research truly blew me away, healthy living is as powerful as prescription medication in many cases. Cool I had to train myself to eat all sorts of healthy foods but ended up enjoying nine a day plus oily fish most days.

annawanna

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:30 am      Reply with quote
I would really appreciate that thank you Smile

I am taking a ther biotic probiotic since being on abx, I don't seem to be able to tolerate taking yoghurt though I am thinking I may try again soon.

I take a soy protein shake and add soy milk, coconut milk and olive oil to the mix. I have the the past couple of days started on green smoothies again using both vegetables and berries. I don't think the omega I currently take is great so have just ordered a good one from H&B. Do you think I should not take a multi vitamin too? I did wonder that as I could be overdosing on somethings.

I do eat beans and lentils and have become pretty good at incorporating these into soups. I also eat avocados, nuts, nut butter, seeds and should probably start eating more fish. I also eat a fair amount of brown rice, gluten free pasta and sweet potatoes.

I definitely agree with the diet bit, I could in theory keep my lyme at bay with just eating a good diet and it is just as important as taking the abx. I was actually thinking I could eventually take a career path in nutrition Smile
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds like you are well on the right track! Very Happy You are safe to take a complete multivitamin/ mineral and eat well alongside, you may have some absorption issues at present with the antibiotics anyway. Necessary evil! It's individual supplements I have reservations over unless a medical professional has specifically recommended it. Check the RDAs on the multi if you do go that route, sometimes minerals like magnesium are low so you might want to bump that up to 100%.

Be sure to take 3g per day of EPA and DHA if you are not eating oily fish each day, even a course of 5g per day may benefit you. Do you eat eggs? Omega-enriched eggs (Columbus, Goldenlay) are a good source of protein and fats. If you eat canned oily fish with the bones still (pilchards, pink salmon) in you will get a hit of calcium, to help replace that dairy.

What is the gluten free pasta based on? Is your brown rice basmati? If not get this, the mix of carbohydrates is different to regular rice making it lower glycaemic index. So keeps the blood sugar stable, reduced chance of inflammation. Also be sure to steam not boil your rice, no stirring or agitating at all.

Don't overdo soy, I am not saying it's bad but everything in moderation or you might trigger other intolerances. You *might* try alternating soy days with whey protein days: whey is made from milk but is highly digestible and bioavailable. A properly refined one is free of lactose (milk sugar) and casein (protein) one of which are invariably the cause of dairy intolerance. Doesn't have to be pricey branded stuff, but you do need to check the ingredients and nutrition chart. Plain yoghurt is low to no lactose but there is still a little casein, don't force this if you don't feel your body is ready.

Definitely consider a change of career, I don't regret it at all. Cool Fixing yourself is a wonderful thing to share with future clients, they often think you've always eaten clean/ been slim/ healthy/ exercised regularly and it can really help them to know that you empathise.

annawanna

Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:13 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for all your help Firefox. Yeah I've been told I will probably have absorption issues anyway at the moment so have made sure to keep on top of the supplements!

The fish oil supplements I bought are 3g of omega 3, 6, 9 so I shall take these when I'm not eating fish. I do eat eggs but I tend to just get standard free range, I will look at the prices for the protein enriched eggs are they much more expensive?

I haven't been using brown basmati rice no, I didn't know of that difference. I boil and stir my rice too :/ oh dear what does this do?

I've heard that you are at risk of becoming allergic to the things you eat the most. Thank you for reminding me Smile I was wondering of which carbs you might recommend for me? I'm not really meant to have any but as I am losing weight I think I'm going to have to be a bit more slack with that and eat some, maybe more sweet potatoes?

Did you do a three year course in nutrition? I already have a degree in social sciences but feel I may have wasted my time as nothing became of it lol! I would like to go back to study for something I would qualify in and I am becoming more and more interested in this field.

Could I also ask what you would recommend makeup wise just while I sort my skin out. I need a good primer I think to smooth my skin and make my pores appear smaller. I read that people are using Monistat chaffing gel? Do you know anything about this? I need a good concealer and foundation really too. I use Revlon Colorstay for oily combo skin and a Mary Kate concealer. The Revlon Colorstay used to make my skin look good now it doesn't seem to sit. I have also bought the Ki/Nia/NAG, and the Devita Sunscreen. I just need a toner of some sort now and a night moisturiser :/ lol

Lots of questions again, thank you so much for your help I really do appreciate it
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
Please don't take omega-6 with omega-3 unless it is only GLA, you just want 3g of DHA and EPA. Most omega-6s are pro-inflammatory and there is ample in our diets, it is the ratio of 3 to 6 you are looking to redress not simply the total amount. The omega-enriched eggs are closer in price to organic IIRC, but do come on offer regularly.

Boiling agitates the rice as does stirring, encouraging the starch to break down. This in turn makes the rice faster to digest and increases the glycaemic index (risking blood sugar spikes). If you don't have a steamer or rice cooker, Delia Smith has a simple method for steaming in a regular pan on a hob. Before I had a rice cooker I don't remember doing brown quite so much longer than white, but maybe that is because we added a little extra water instead!
http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/rice-and-pasta/how-to-cook-perfect-rice.html
The bean/ lentil family are the lowest GI of the carbs, many tree fruits (apples, cherries, apricots, plums) are pretty good too. Depends how much of these you can tolerate, all are rich in soluble fibre so can cause bloating in anyone.

My last degree level qualification was in physical activity, but I chose all the nutrition/ dietetics modules to get a balance. What you do depends on where you want to end up, and how you intend to get clients. A degree in pure nutrition will take you more into public health or research, dietetics prepares you to deal with clients and can get you into the NHS or private medicine, then there are all sorts of degrees with health in the title where you can choose modules in the fields that interest you. Do you know about Health Trainers? That is a route into healthcare, learn about behaviour change, looks good on the CV, can work part time around your studies, good practice at dealing with clients one to one. http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/Default.aspx?Id=1901
Another option is to qualify as a personal trainer first, college being cheaper than private training providers. You would do some anatomy and physiology, Noddy nutrition and of course you could then work in fitness gaining experience working one to one. Female PTs are few and far between, as are those with a healthcare not a sports bent. And again it looks good on the CV. Both of these are probably one day a week - health trainers is free, college would be at least discounted if you are unemployed.

Make up is not really my forte, but I did hear Monistat works well and it has few ingredients. A small percentage of people do find silicones (in all primers) clog their skin so test a small area. If you are fine then you might well be able to use your regular make up over the top, the primer giving you a layer of protection. You might even find the Devita is enough as a primer.

kmckinzie

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:57 pm      Reply with quote
Annwanna

You are some what on the right track...

Cetaphil is an amazing cleanser!
Whatever cleanser you choose make sure water is the first ingredient! You want something that doesn't leave one hint of residue,doesn't contain drying ingredients, and is fragrance free.

Fragrances are definitely irritating this includes Witch Hazel Sad Alcohol is added to Witch Hazel! Alcohol can cause free radical damage or even collagen break down.NO ONE WANTS THAT!

Try to find an alcohol free toner
A perfect toner should NOT include Witch Hazel, peppermint, citrus , menthol, basically anything that spells pretty or minty Wink

Now I really didn't notice you mentioning any kind of exfoliate. Exfoliation is important for oily skin,and ANYONE at least once a week. I suggest using a salicylic acid (BHA)(derived from asprin) in a gel form. BHA or AHA in cleansers are pretty useless.For either to actually work they have to be absorbed into the skin, and cleansers are just washed off before they are actually absorbed.

Most of all you want to use a GOOD sunscreen to prevent wrinkles an reduce the possibility of red/dark marks. A good sunscreen should include zinc oxide, avobenzone,or titanium dioxide.

Also, steaming is ok when wanting to soften the skin for extractions,but steaming acne prone skin can just make it look worse! It can increase redness, and inflammation. Sad

Sadly clear skin is a process ....I hope in some small way I helped Smile
annawanna

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:10 am      Reply with quote
Oh dear I think I have bought the wrong omega then Surprised The Omega 6 part says it has both LA and GLA.

Thank you for that link to rice that was really helpful I will be making it in that way now for sure! I've currently been making mega soups full of lentils and butter beans with vegetables. I think they are quite calorific altogether.

Thank you for info on your career Smile I am unsure I would be very good at PT though as I am not great physically at the moment and get very tired. I will definitely look into these things though. I know I would like something along those lines I was thinking of training to become a counsellor eventually. I'd love to work with people who may have been through similar to me. But I also have an interest in nutrition, maybe I could marry the two together somehow.

Thank you kmckinzie for your input yes that helps a lot Smile Do you have any gentle toners in mind? I have used aspirin as a face mask now and again when my face is angry with acne I was wondering about salicylic acid I think I shall get some of that. Is that just once a week then? I also kinda need a suitable night time cream/lotion/oil too any thoughts? Smile
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi annawanna,
I just want to reiterate what Firefox had said initially about your skin probably being especially sensitive while you're having health problems, and avoiding "harsh cleansers, exfoliants & aggressive actives".

Firefox7275 wrote:
Given the level of stress your body will be under with the Lyme Disease and antibiotics IMO make your routine as gentle and healing as possible. Don't attack your skin with harsh cleansers, exfoliants or aggressive actives. Cetaphil contains sulphate surfactants which are known irritants, witch hazel is astringent and often contains drying alcohol, coconut oil is highly comedogenic, some people find rosehip oil comedogenic too - this may be because research suggests the fatty acids LA and ALA are pro-inflammatory. Steaming and scrubbing your skin can also increase irritation and inflammation. Less is invariably more when skin is very stressed.

You might consider adding an emulsifier to the OCM such as one of the polysorbates, you then won't need to strip your skin barrier with a foaming wash. This ensures ALL the oil rinses clean with water. Secondly be sure to use a gentle zinc oxide sunscreen daily, this is bacteriostatic (stops bacteria growing) as well as protecting from UV damage. One of my favourite actives is aloe vera - research proves this has anti-inflammatory, wound healing, hydrating and collagen inducing properties! Very Happy

A product you might consider DIYing is the KinNiaNag serum. This contains a combination of actives which are proven in anti-ageing, can help increase the amount of ceramides in the skin so increasing hydration, help normalise sebum production and reduce acne. It's gentle enough for those with rosacea and my eczematous skin. http://www.skincaretalk.com/a/kinnianag-kinetin-b3-nag-antiaging-anti-acne-serum You can make your own with a kit from here. One serum will last you a couple of months, and the kit is enough for several serums so not expensive. http://stores.skinessentialactives.com/-strse-93/Kinetin-DIY-kit%2C-SeaKinNiaNAG/Detail.bok

IMO add in vitamin C and/ or retinol once the antibiotics are out of your system and your skin is less irritated and inflamed. Both retinoids and the acid form of vitamin C can cause or contribute to irritation and inflammation which is the last thing your skin needs at present. HTH. Wink

I guess not everyone here agrees, but I wanted to make sure that you got a chance to consider what was said again.

Adding an emulsifier (poly80) to my ocm oils was one of the best things I ever did for my skin, eliminating the need for an extra cleanser or cloth, OR a toner!

As Firefox said, Cetaphil may not be as gentle as everyone says. I have friends who broke out horribly from it.

FYI 50% castor oil is WAY too drying for most people - I have oily skin and only use about 15%. It is pretty much the operative ingredient but still fairly effective at 15%.

The oils you mentioned may not be problematic for YOU at all, so consider that too. Did you use any of them successfully before your breakouts? I'd recommend using ONE simple oil for overnight the way you have been instead of finding a new cream. That way you only have ONE ingredient to eliminate if you have trouble, and just replace it with another until your skin is happy.
And since you mentioned oily skin - do you even NEED a moisturizer? I don't use one.

I used to do aspirin masks but eventually figured out that the glow I got was not just the surface layer of sludge stripped off, but also due to the irritation. I can't use them anymore and suggest you hold off using them until your skin has healed.
With regard to clay masks, I'd only recommend that you don't let them dry completely, since they can get too drying, and any unintentional facial expressions battling a stiff mask can be potentially irritating. (I've never heard anyone else say that, that's just my opinion.)

You'd asked about whether to use a muslin cloth. I would use exactly that if you feel the need for something to aid in exfoliation, instead of applying anything else topical to your face. Once your skin heals you can delve into other things.

In a nutshell I'm hoping you will be kinder and gentler to your skin - and yourself. No need to describe your skin as being "increasingly horrific" and causing nightmares.. it's only temporary. It will heal nicely as long as you let it.
Smile

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:03 am      Reply with quote
annawanna wrote:
Oh dear I think I have bought the wrong omega then Surprised The Omega 6 part says it has both LA and GLA.

Thank you for that link to rice that was really helpful I will be making it in that way now for sure! I've currently been making mega soups full of lentils and butter beans with vegetables. I think they are quite calorific altogether.

Thank you for info on your career Smile I am unsure I would be very good at PT though as I am not great physically at the moment and get very tired. I will definitely look into these things though. I know I would like something along those lines I was thinking of training to become a counsellor eventually. I'd love to work with people who may have been through similar to me. But I also have an interest in nutrition, maybe I could marry the two together somehow.

There are reasonably priced triple strength fish oils capsules sold on eBay. Maybe switch to the omega that you have purchased once you are off the antibiotics? By then you should have boosted your omega-3 levels and be in 'maintenance'. LA is converted to GLA in a healthy individual, but we know you are not in optimum health ... yet. Wink

Your soups sound very healthy and nutritious but I suspect they are not as calorie dense as you think bacause even thick ones have a high water content. Would be more calorific if you added a source of protein and/ or fat such as nuts, seeds or creamed coconut.

PT is not as physical as you might imagine, it is much more so if you choose also to teach certain forms of group exercise (studio classes). There IS a lot of standing around, demonstrating correct technique (can do a couple of reps with no weight at all), verbal explanations and correcting. Sitting for assessments and paperwork before and after each session. The standing would be the biggest issue dealing with energy issues IMO. But it's only an option: the Health Trainer route is sedentary for example and is certainly closer to the counselling aspect.

annawanna

Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry for not replying sooner, I've been a little unwell lately :/

I tried to find salycic acid but I'm not sure where to buy it from if anyone can suggest preferably from UK

Thank you for your nice comments Lori Smile

I bought some polysorbate and have been adding it to my OCM. I am a bit worried I have dried my skin out as I appear to have developed two smile line wrinkles by the sides of my mouth, not good! I wonder how I would try to eliminate these?

I think I will start putting vitamin E on my face again at night see if I have any breakouts from it. I have only had a few spots since using the cetaphil in the morning and OCM at night. My skin has been a little less oily too. I was using the Muslin cloth everyday at night but I think I will hold off that for a while. I am still unsure what to use as a toner I have some ACV I am wondering whether to use this or would it be too harsh?

I bought the porefessional and I have to say it did nothing but made my skin look worse and more oily and bigger pores!!

Firefox thanks again for your tips on diet. I add coconut milk to my carrot and butter bean soups, as for the lentil one I haven't tried anything else with that only vegetables. I could probably add more to that the lentils themselves seem to have some calorie content to them.

I actually have a lot of back problems at the moment, possibly related to lyme or not so I think standing a lot would be a bit of a struggle for me. Perhaps a health trainer would be better suited to me I hope I will start to feel better soon so I can focus on my career Smile

Thanks for all the info really helps Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:41 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |