Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Flushing from Niacin..how to stop?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bullet875
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
I started taking 1000 mg of niacin for newly-diagnosed high cholesterol (under a doctor's supervision) and wow!, the flushing is not only annoying, but painful!I feel as if I have sun burn and look like it! I am also extremely itchy! It hit like a ton of bricks right after I took a shower.

Two questions: 1. I'm going to drop to a lower dose of niacin taken more times per day (500mg taken 3x daily instead of a higher dose taken 1 time). Should this help with the flushing?

2. IS non-flushing niacin as effective for high cholesterol as regular niacin?

I have also heard that taking aspirin helps.

HELP!!!!!
EthelM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
Honestly, you should ask only your doctor, especially prior to adding aspirin, since niacin was prescribed to you for a medical condition.
mogulicious
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
DH takes 1500 mg three nights/wk just prior to bed so he flushes in his sleep. Or you could begin at a low dose and gradually increase the dose as recommended by your physician, and take it following a meal may reduce some flushing. Reportedly the no-flush type does not offer the benefits of improving cholesterol levels. DH's levels dramatically improved within a few months... his dr. wanted to put him on statins & poo pooed when dh said he wanted to try niacin - then his bloodwork was great, then we later learned (from the doc's wife) that the doc had started taking it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
mogulicious wrote:
DH takes 1500 mg three nights/wk just prior to bed so he flushes in his sleep.

This made me laugh. I pictured a man sleepwalking and flushing the toilet over and over.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
EthelM wrote:
Honestly, you should ask only your doctor, especially prior to adding aspirin, since niacin was prescribed to you for a medical condition.

I agree especially when not only flushing but itching is involved, you may have a sensitivity to taking it in a pill form, there are alternatives but that should be between you and your doctor to decide.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
mogulicious wrote:
DH takes 1500 mg three nights/wk just prior to bed so he flushes in his sleep.
This made me laugh. I pictured a man sleepwalking and flushing the toilet over and over.

LOL!

And yeah, omg talk with your doctor! Niacin flushes can be quite dramatic but that sounds excessive. I remember being shocked that they sold it over the counter though.
A paramedic we know told us he estimated at least one call a week from people who thought they were having strokes after taking niacin.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
mogulicious
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:26 am      Reply with quote
This from healingdaily.com:

It's important to note that this niacin flush is not harmful or dangerous. Some people worry about it, but it is actually a sign of improved blood flow.
When you get the niacin "flush", it's an indication that the niacin is causing small blood vessels in your body to be expanded in size. Many of your small blood vessels, called "capilaries" are so small that blood cells can only go through them in single file. Sometimes, in fact, that small capilary passageway is clogged and blood doesn't get through at all.

While the large organs of the body all have blood supplied from large arteries, a great deal of your body, particularly the parts near the skin, get their ONLY supply of blood (therefore also of oxygen and nutrients) from these small capillaries.

The niacin causes these small capilaries to expand - so they might be able to carry 2 or 3 blood cells at the same time. This is a tremendous increase in blood flow.

You experience this as a "flushing" of the skin, simply because there is more blood close to the surface of the body. As the blood flows in these areas, the cells of the small capilaries will also be getting rid of their waste products, and often they produce 'histamine' as part of this process. That histamine is another natural substance produced by every cell in the body when a cell is under attack, or is eliminating toxins. Histamine causes an 'itchy' feeling.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:38 am      Reply with quote
My doctor has suggested that I take an antihistamine for the itching. I'm going to try that because I'm scratching a lot. Supposedly the flushing stops after a couple of weeks. I hope so!
mogulicious
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
I know a lady who wanted a facelift but had a difficult time finding a surgeon to give her one because she was a smoker. She found a dr. in a different state, and just prior to her anesthesia he administered a huge dose of niacin, said that was his key to successful surgeries on smokers.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
I guess that the flushing is good for the skin then...though, the itching causes me to scratch!
Time2Bme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:07 am      Reply with quote
My doctor told me years ago to take Niacinamide and not Niacin because the Niacin would cause flushing but the Niacinamide would not....

You would have to confirm that the Niacinamide would still give you the same benefit for the issue you are treating, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:19 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |