Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Retin-a vs Retin-a Micro
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:56 am      Reply with quote
Can some one remind me how they differ. I know micro is more of a time released which is suppose to lessen irritation but does that technically make it stronger or weaker then regular retin-a? And what if you apply moisturizer an hour or so after, does it stop working?
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:24 am      Reply with quote
Irritation is a side effect, it is not directly related to the efficacy. Retin-A is absorbed so acts on the deeper layers of skin not the surface so cannot be 'neutralised' some time later. Might be worth seeing a dermatologist to ensure you fully understand the basics of how Retin-A works, and what can/ cannot be used alongside.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:09 am      Reply with quote
The micro is usually recommended for those who can't tollerate the standard version of Retin-A. As you state, the time-release factor lessens irritation for those with sensitive skin. As far as I am aware, it is equally as effective as standard Retin-A.

Some say that you shouldn't use a moisturiser with Retin-A, that it should be used alone. I have never ascribed to this approach, I apply my serums first, then Retin-A (cream version), then a facial oil. I don't believe the benefits of Retin-A are compromised by this method of application.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:09 am      Reply with quote
The micro is usually recommended for those who can't tollerate the standard version of Retin-A. As you state, the time-release factor lessens irritation for those with sensitive skin. As far as I am aware, it is equally as effective as standard Retin-A.

Some say that you shouldn't use a moisturiser with Retin-A, that it should be used alone. I have never ascribed to this approach, I apply my serums first, then Retin-A (cream version), then a facial oil. I don't believe the benefits of Retin-A are compromised by this method of application.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:10 am      Reply with quote

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:15 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
Irritation is a side effect, it is not directly related to the efficacy. Retin-A is absorbed so acts on the deeper layers of skin not the surface so cannot be 'neutralised' some time later. Might be worth seeing a dermatologist to ensure you fully understand the basics of how Retin-A works, and what can/ cannot be used alongside.

Oh, I'm a long timer use of Tazorac. I was just pondering this.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:20 am      Reply with quote
One does not need to "fully understand the basics of how Retin-A works" in order to use it.

I find that Retin A Micro is more irritating than Tazarotene. The reasons are well explained here:

http://www.skinacea.com/retinoids/natural-vs-synthetic-retinoids.html

GirlieGirl, I would not use a moisturizer after any retinoid.
nuttymadam
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:09 am      Reply with quote
Sunshine is it bad to use a moisturiser after retin-a? if so why? Im using one but only because Im scared of my skin being dehydrated and sore in the morning.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:03 am      Reply with quote
I wonder if Keliu's using just an oil, rather than moisturizer is the solution to whatever the complications may be?

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Gosha
5% products discount

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:02 am      Reply with quote
I was using Retin-A MICRO, and almost never got acne. Then ran out of it and got Retin-A cream, I broke out constantly for a month. Finally I understood why and got back to my Retin-A micro. A big difference for whose who suffer from acne! I think Retin-A CREAM has some pore clogging ingredient, isopropyl myristate or something like that. So now I know the difference. But I think if you don't have acne, it doesn't make a difference. I used the leftover Retin-A cream around my eyes and on my neck.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:43 am      Reply with quote
nuttymadam wrote:
Sunshine is it bad to use a moisturiser after retin-a? if so why? Im using one but only because Im scared of my skin being dehydrated and sore in the morning.

nuttymadam, I personally do not support the idea that moisturizers are necessary at all. If you are interested, please read the following discussion:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=32068&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=25

Are oils better than moisturizers? I would love to know that!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
The only reason I use oils is because my skin does better on them than creams. Creams exacerbate my Sebaceous Hyperplacia. And I do think oils provide some necessary nutrients for the skin. Just because I use RA doesn't mean I want to miss out on any goodness oils might deliver.

I would just point out too that not everyone finds Retin-A irritating. But it does make a difference whether your skin is oily or dry. I don't like the gel based RA, I find it too drying - but I'm fine with the cream base.

I honestly don't think there is a hard and fast rule on the use of a moisturiser with RA. But the general rule of thumb is to wait about an hour after the application of RA and then apply.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
My skin is normal and I am fine with the cream. I have used oils over or oil based serums and now after a decent wait time both ReLuma serum and Cream.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:36 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
My skin is normal and I am fine with the cream. I have used oils over or oil based serums and now after a decent wait time both ReLuma serum and Cream.

Are you not worried the emollients in the cream will stop the reluma penetrating? Its too expensive for me to take that risk Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:42 am      Reply with quote
nuttymadam wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

Are you not worried the emollients in the cream will stop the reluma penetrating? Its too expensive for me to take that risk Sad

No not after an hour or two I know all has absorbed by then! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:46 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
nuttymadam wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

No not after an hour or two I know all has absorbed by then! Smile

But I thought the point of the cream was to leave a layer on the skin so its less dry in the morning? Surely the layer is blocking the other serums

Just a thought, I could be wrong

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
Retin-A® (tretinoin)(original cream formulation) and Retin-A Micro have somewhat different bases.

Using the Micro for acne, one day when I was reading through the leaflets to compare the Retin-A Cream versus the Micro version I ran across this paragraph about the Microspheres that they use in the micro version:

"The components of the microspheres have shown potential for genetic toxicity and teratogenesis. EGDMA, a component of the excipient acrylates copolymer, was positive for induction of structural chromosomal aberrations in the in vitro chromosomal aberration assay in mammalian cells in the absence of metabolic activation, and negative for genetic toxicity in the Ames assay, the HGPRT forward mutation assay, and the mouse micronucleus assay. "

It is under the section that is titled
Carcinogenesis, Mutagenesis, Impairment of Fertility.

I don't know if it makes a lot of difference to anyone. I know the microspheres are there to cause slow release of Retin-A into the skin and less irritation...But it made me start wondering about the Microsphere ingredients itself, if they are okay for the health of skin/body in the long run generally.

Of course the original Cream Retin-A does not use microspheres and as such the ingredients list is more basic and doesn't have cones or glycols like the micro version.

Here are the ingredients list to compare both:

Retin-A®(tretinoin) Cream contains tretinoin in either of three strengths, 0.1%, 0.05%, or 0.025% by weight, in a hydrophilic cream vehicle of stearic acid, isopropyl myristate, polyoxyl 40 stearate, stearyl alcohol, xanthan gum, sorbic acid, butylated hydroxytoluene, and purified water.

Retin-A Micro® (tretinoin gel) microsphere, Tretinoin 0.1% or 0.04% in methyl methacrylate/glycol dimethacrylate crosspolymer porous microspheres (MICROSPONGE® System), benzyl alcohol, butylated hydroxtoluene, carbomer 974P (0.04% formulation), carbomer 934P (0.1% formulation), cyclomethicone and dimethicone copolyol, disodium EDTA, glycerin, PPG-20 methyl glucose ether distearate, propylene glycol, purified water, sorbic acid, and trolamine.
Cat_eyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:35 pm      Reply with quote
I use a retin A cream after cleansing my skin. 45 minutes later I apply a moisturizer. Before I started using it, I did extensive reading on it. The info I found was that it works best when its the only thing on your face. It isn't always necessary for it to work at its max potential. Therefore, if you choose to use a moisturizer before, and your seeing results then apparently it works for you. I need the moisturizer afterwards because the retin a isn't moisturizing enough. With this stuff I've discovered that a higher does not mean its better.

5% products discount

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:33 am      Reply with quote
According to my dermatologist, who does a lot of cosmetic treatments, it is fine to use a moisturizer with retin-a.
Because I used Obagi for a while, I had thought that it would be a problem, but the doc said otherwise.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:26 am      Reply with quote
I use Retin a cream or micro and wait about 5 minutes for the retin a to absorb then put a moisturizer on top.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:46 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |