Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Wrinkle Patches - Testing Multiple Brands
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
While my crows feet are very limited, I do have some forehead lines and significant 11's that are due to:
- Making horrid faces all during my long, stress filled work days
- Sleeping on my side (my 11's are primarily due to this), and NO, I do not see myself sleeping on my back due to health/sleeping issues.

My Safetox does help soften those lines and inhibits my movement to some degree if I use it 2x day, Botox does help but only lasts 2 months max ($$$), and dermarolling didn't help the forehead at all in my case. So I am now looking for yet another solution for my top facial aging dilemma. Rolling Eyes

I am going to be posting test results for 3 different brands of wrinkle patches, as I am seeing different pros/cons with each. Brands I will be posting on are listed below, and I will be testing multiple products per brand:

Frownies - brown paper patches; see before and after pics:
http://www.frownies.com/before-after.php

Furlesse - a newer option that is semi-clear:
http://www.furlesse.com/

DermaGen - a semi-clear option (I will not be testing the swiss peel option):
http://cosmesearch.com/dermagen/index.html
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CQ7....m=ABH1QX01RES9B

I have already been using all 3, so I'll be posting overviews and updates on all of them as time permits.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
Definitely looking forward to hearing your review on these different patches. I will be interested in which you feel works the best!
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:01 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, Bethany! I'm also looking forward to the reviews.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
So let's talk about the DermaGen patches....

Product Features
    Designed to visibly smooth and reduce fine lines and wrinkles
    Active ingredient Hydrocolloid also helps minimize and flatten raised scar areas from cuts or burns
    Made with special Polyurethane material
    Each sheet contains 27 Patches in 5 different shapes
    Each patch can be used 2 to 3 times

I actually liked these more than I expected. They stay on very well, and you can use them multiple times (I have used them 3x and will try them with Tac-Gel next). Plus they have something in them that supposedly increases hydration, and in the morning wrinkles have definitely lessened. And they are not nearly as ugly/obvious as some brown craft paper patches.

Unfortunately, not all of the shapes are equally usable:
- the triangles are great for the 11's or the forehead
- the ovals are great for the 11's (1 per line)
- the eye ones are good for both crows feet, under eyes (or both)
- the long ones would not stay on either my forehead or my neck lines

They are about $10, and I am not sure you can get a month's usage out of one package (2 pages of the shapes featured above). Plus when you take them off in the morning, you have a faint line of EACH shape that lasts for about 3 HOURS! But they are very comfortable to sleep in.

But before you rule them in or out, be sure to wait for my next 2 reviews! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:34 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Plus when you take them off in the morning, you have a faint line of EACH shape that lasts for about 3 HOURS!

Yep, that's one of the problems when putting any type of patch over a wrinkle. You get indentation marks from the patch itself. As for frownies, I think the material they are made of is horrible. Thanks for testing these out. You always sound so busy, I don't know how you have the time.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:45 am      Reply with quote
packratmack wrote:
bethany wrote:
Plus when you take them off in the morning, you have a faint line of EACH shape that lasts for about 3 HOURS!

Yep, that's one of the problems when putting any type of patch over a wrinkle. You get indentation marks from the patch itself. As for frownies, I think the material they are made of is horrible. Thanks for testing these out. You always sound so busy, I don't know how you have the time.

Pack...I have no life due to work, and this is my only way of winding down before bed, lol. Otherwise I end up working the "dream shift" via work nightmares!

But it has taken me longer than hoped to get info up since I haven't had time to do pics and post, sigh. Hopefully I can get the other 2 up soon.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
This is a great review Bethany - thanks for doing all three. I'm wondering how one would go about applying a patch after using a serum or such in the evening? Do you need bare, clean skin for all of them? Would a wait time work?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting this, Bethany, very interesting. Cool

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Beth. In the commercial world of wrinkle-helper-outers I have only used Frownies so I appreciate the input. The only other option I've used is medical tape which is okay in a pinch.
The NuFace/facial exercise combo seems to help with the forehead situation a lot for me. (I was surprised - very!) but in stressful times it helps to have some other options - bigger guns on hand.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
This is a great review Bethany - thanks for doing all three. I'm wondering how one would go about applying a patch after using a serum or such in the evening? Do you need bare, clean skin for all of them? Would a wait time work?

Foxe, I wait a bit for my actives to absorb, and then apply these.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

But before you rule them in or out, be sure to wait for my next 2 reviews! Very Happy

LOL. I was all set to order these (I liked hearing that it had something that increases hydration), and then I read your last line! I will hold off for your other 2 reviews. Great review, and thank you for being the guinea pig! Very Happy
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
foxe wrote:

Are your actives water based or creamy? I'm using AnteAge and Retin A in the evenings right now - wonder how long after the Retin A I'd have to wait. What's your opinion?

I do have some of the Frownies, but haven't used them thinking I'd have to have nothing on my skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
On to the Frownies....

Basically, they don't get any uglier than these, but they are definitely economical at 144 patches for $14. It takes 3 of the Forehead patches for me, and I can use each one at least twice. So that is pretty much 3 months of usage at $14.

In the pic below, I am using 3 Frownies (Forehead and between eyes type) and 1 "Gentle Lift" on my 11's. That is the newest Frownies that was originally sold by a a competitor as "Frownease" until Frownies snatched them up. They are a mini-bandaid type of thing with a little plastic insert and are PERFECT for the glabella area. (side sleepers and grimacers take note!) The Gentle Lifts are $25 for "an 8-10 week supply" and suppsedly can be reused for 3 to 5 times. You can definitely reactivate these with Tac-Gel, and they are the BEST thing I have found for the glabella area at night if you are a side sleeper like me.

Pros:

- They do keep your forehead from wrinkling at night
- The Gentle Lifts are awesome for the 11's
- Frownies are NOT hot, unlike the other plastic versions (but none are THAT hot)
- They definitely stick all night, and you can pry them off in the morning

Cons:
- Ugly, Ugly, Ugly...only to be used when you are sleeping alone, want your husband to leave you, or want to avoid sex
- The triangles leave lines on your forehead along the shape edges, which just means that you may have NEW lines forming in a different place if you sleep on your side

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
I can't believe I missed this review when you first posted. Thanks so much for testing these out, Bethany, and for posting the pictures of them. I'm looking forward to review number 3.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:01 am      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
bethany wrote:
foxe wrote:

Are your actives water based or creamy? I'm using AnteAge and Retin A in the evenings right now - wonder how long after the Retin A I'd have to wait. What's your opinion?

I do have some of the Frownies, but haven't used them thinking I'd have to have nothing on my skin.

Foxe, I have used the patches with both water based and cream products. I waited about 10 mins after applying the Retin A cream, made sure it was fully rubbed in, then wet the Frownie and held it in place until it adhered.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:06 am      Reply with quote
Thanks bethany for doing this experiment and informing us about it! I'm looking forward to your final verdict on this! I've been using Frownies for three years now and they definitely lessened my 11's. I used to wake up with prominent lines in that region that would diminish during the day, but now they are far better!
I also use Frownies for my nose to mouth lines. Have you perhaps tried using the other two brands for these as well? I would be interested to hear how well do they adhere in NL region.

BTW, I've noticed that when I'm applying Frownies it's useful to wait a couple of seconds after wetting them before I stick them to my face. This way the water reacts with the glue and they stick far better than when I apply them immediately. I also use a tissue and press it against the patch to absorb any excess water.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
Just an FYI that I will posting more this week...I did rolls 2 weekends in a row (different parts) and I am a peeling mess. Not good from a photo standpoint, nor for sticking patches to loose skin!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Bethany for testing these!!
I've tried Frownies, not too sure about them, still use them occasionally when I go through a phase of kind of keeping my eyebrows up all the time... working on ways to relax the brow area.
I also tried clear medical grade tape, and it was peculiar because it made the horizontal line above my right eyebrow look kind of wider yet not so deep. Didn't follow using it, maybe I should have gone on to see the long term result.
What is your opinion/results on the third tape you mention in the first post?
TIA.
Jennifre

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:26 am      Reply with quote
Hi, did the final verdict or third review from bethany move to another area? I was dying to see this, having tried a bunch of these but having been too distracted to be consistent with them. I'm hoping to drill down to the most effective method then force myself to be consistent!

Not really feeling good about how hard Frownies pulls on my skin, I prefer using the Furlesse options, which are good for a loooong time of use, many many times. I use them in all the standard spots, forehead, 11s, frown lines, under eyes.

Looking forward to reading more, in this review. I'm also unable to see photos... is there a special trick to see them? Thanks so much. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:05 am      Reply with quote
I'm interested too! I saw a you tube video where the woman used the sports tzpe/kinio-tape for wrinkles. I didn't like it when I tried. Saw no softening of the lines. I'm just using white paper tape you find in the bad-aid aisle and it works okay. (and is cheap, which is always good.)

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
Jennifre wrote:
Hi, did the final verdict or third review from bethany move to another area? I was dying to see this, having tried a bunch of these but having been too distracted to be consistent with them. I'm hoping to drill down to the most effective method then force myself to be consistent!

Not really feeling good about how hard Frownies pulls on my skin, I prefer using the Furlesse options, which are good for a loooong time of use, many many times. I use them in all the standard spots, forehead, 11s, frown lines, under eyes.

Looking forward to reading more, in this review. I'm also unable to see photos... is there a special trick to see them? Thanks so much. Smile

Hi Jennifre- The photos have probably been removed since it's been awhile.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there! I ended up liking the Furlesse options for the most part, but did think that the new Frownies Gentle Lift option was the best for the 11's since it has a stiffer middle layer. It keeps the skin smoother but isn't glued down like typical Frownies.

But for the forehead, I definitely preferred the Furlesse over the Frownies.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:38 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

Do these get rid of your wrinkles over time or do they just prevent them from getting worse?
Or do they work at all? haha.

Thanks!
AngelaE8654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:51 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
While my crows feet are very limited, I do have some forehead lines and significant 11's that are due to:
- Making horrid faces all during my long, stress filled work days
- Sleeping on my side (my 11's are primarily due to this), and NO, I do not see myself sleeping on my back due to health/sleeping issues.

My Safetox does help soften those lines and inhibits my movement to some degree if I use it 2x day, Botox does help but only lasts 2 months max ($$$), and dermarolling didn't help the forehead at all in my case. So I am now looking for yet another solution for my top facial aging dilemma. Rolling Eyes

I am going to be posting test results for 3 different brands of wrinkle patches, as I am seeing different pros/cons with each. Brands I will be posting on are listed below, and I will be testing multiple products per brand:

Frownies - brown paper patches; see before and after pics:
http://www.frownies.com/before-after.php

Furlesse - a newer option that is semi-clear:
http://www.furlesse.com/

DermaGen - a semi-clear option (I will not be testing the swiss peel option):
http://cosmesearch.com/dermagen/index.html
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CQ7....m=ABH1QX01RES9B

I have already been using all 3, so I'll be posting overviews and updates on all of them as time permits.

I've tried every single one of these and have not been satisfied with the results. What I personally use (and have been using for a long time) is ScarAway patches. They're soft and don't bother your face a bit while sleeping and they DON'T show lines after removal. I cut them down to size and place them on the lines. These particular ones I cut into 1/4 and place one under each eye. They significantly soften the look of the lines. I wash them three times before discarding them. I have found that the fourth time doesn't work well but three washes and they're great. I get them on the "Subscribe and Save" program through Amazon.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:53 am      Reply with quote
P.S. to my previous post: These ALSO prevent those "sleep lines" you get under your eyes during deep sleep that can (and did with me) turn into wrinkles. Those went completely away and I no longer ever get them because of using these patches.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:09 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |