Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Newbie Routine, some clarification please
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
songofjoy

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
I am a 60 yo w/ dry skin who just started a new skincare routine! I always just never used soap, and used moisturizers am/pm.. Need more now! Any advice is appreciated/re conflicts and use of products....(AM< PM).... for AM: 1. wash with gentle wash/using baby brush 1x per week to exfoliate 2.C E Ferulic Serum (I will add Jojoba CE Ferulic, a DYI after samples are finished). 3. AGE Interrupter anti glycolic (I also have Avon Anew Wrinkle Corrector.... when to use?) 4. B5 Serum
5. Moisturizer (I have Bare Minerals SPF 20 for normal/dry) I also have EMU Oil/ if I leave on skin and wait it soaks it up! -good primer too then! 5. ECO All Natural Sunscreen for Face SPF 30
6.. Foundation SPF 20/Makeup (never used liquid before for foundation using Lancome Regenerist- getting used to it, skin needs it now.) FOR PM BEFORE BED:
1. Wash face with gentle wash/sugar added lightly to exfoliate. 2. ROC Eye Cream around crows feet/under eyes 3. Either Avon Anew Wrinkle Corrector OR AGE Interrupter ?? 4. Can I use a mixture of: Uns. Butter/Vit A Capsules (10000 IU) and Rosehip oil on face then for low retin A that's actually healthy? OR Is it worth getting Tretinoin Gel USP 0.05% 20g (haven't purchased it yet).... Should I also use the B5 serum here/then moisturizer: EMU after that? I have pretty skin/always have/even toned... but pores are coming in a little/ and wrinkles indeed are deeper than ever/dryness an issue. Thank you! Very Happy
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:30 am      Reply with quote
Welcome! Smile First thing I would say is you might intially work on barrier repair, get your skin plump and hydrated before adding in the more aggressive or irritating products. I am a big fan of all your products/ actives working double duty for you. Do be sure to eat an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant rich diet.

Don't over-exfoliate or use multiple known irritants, this damages the skin's barrier function which can leave it more dry and dehydrated. You shouldn't need to exfoliate twice daily (brush, sugar), less so if you are using acids (vitamin C, Retin-A). If you exfoliate with AHAs such as lactic or glycolic acids you can get an extra anti-ageing/ hydrating effect.

Not sure what you mean by a gentle wash but many are not as gentle as they claim. If you prefer foaming products ensure yours is pH ~5.5, is not based on alkaline soaps or sulphate surfactants, preferably no anionic surfactants because all these strip the lipids from the skin barrier. Lotion cleaners or oil cleansers are gentler and many can still be rinsed with water if you like that clean feeling. Definitely don't scrub product that don't meet my suggestions into your skin with brushes or sugar. Don't overwet your skin/ soak in the shower because this can flush out the skin's natural moisturising factors.

Thirdly as we age the natural lipids in the stratus corneum deplete (cholesterol, ceramides, stearic and palmitic acids). Plant oils are not good source of these, if you like natural ingredients look for medical grade lanolin, egg or soy lecithin, unrefined west African shea butter. Personally I avoid oils rich in oleic acid and limit those rich in linoleic acid because both may contribute to irritation and inflammation and this, in turn, may damage the barrier function and/ or contribute to the ageing process.

Whichever anti-ageing actives you opt for it's important to use at research proven concentrations and to stick with them for a period of time. IMO there is no point in layering three serums, you could end up with silicones or oils blocking the next product or changing the pH so that the actives don't absorb. Many commercial anti-ageing products and eye creams are primarily silicones (-cone, -conol, -xane) or humectants to temporarily smooth and plump the skin so do read the ingredients. As you have identified retinoids and vitamin C are an excellent combination. Another synergistic and very gentle combination is kinetin-niacinamide-N-acetyl glucosamime which you could DIY. Some serum recipes use lecithin as an emulsifier so you could get an extra 'dose' of barrier repair, niacinamide boosts ceramide production as well as being anti-ageing.

IMO if you would like to use Retin-A choose a gentler form of vitamin C than L-ascorbic acid, such as MAP or AA2G. If you want something gentler than Retin-A you might go for retinol or retinaldehyde. Retinyl palmitate is the gentlest and least active of all the retinoids. These recipes are all based on published research, the actives are at the correct pH and percentage for results. Be sure any recipe you choose uses s scale, it is impossible to accurately measure powders with a teaspoon.
http://skinessentialactives.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/seakinnianag-serum.html
http://skinessentialactives.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/map-10-serum-light-lotion.html
http://skinessentialactives.blogspot.co.uk/2012_05_01_archive.html

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:31 am      Reply with quote
I would skip the sugar scrub at night and try the lowest retin-a, I think it is .025%. And I would use the cream retin-a not gel as I believe the gel can be more drying.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
First thing I would say is you might intially work on barrier repair

I just purchased CereVe hydrating cleanser (I didn't know if the Boots 7 was really cleaning and doing this), for that purpose. Last step in routine in pm will also be the CerVe PM cream, which notes that the barrier layer is protected with their products.

Quote:
Definitely don't scrub product that don't meet my suggestions into your skin with brushes or sugar.

Taking note of that and other post.... no more sugar or brush- out for both!
Quote:
Whichever anti-ageing actives you opt for it's important to use at research proven concentrations and to stick with them for a period of time. IMO there is no point in layering three serums, you could end up with silicones or oils blocking the next product or changing the pH so that the actives don't absorb.

Noted here! SO, I will continue with my C E Ferulic (I have 6 small sample sizes, and when done will do a DYI Jojoba + CE Ferulic recipe that looks good). For A I will opt for a lower dose Retin-A or a retinoid.... can you suggest any in particular? They're expensive, and I found a gel online thats .05%, but what about this??
Quote:
try the lowest retin-a, I think it is .025%. And I would use the cream retin-a not gel as I believe the gel can be more drying.

Thank you for your help here! I was thinking of this product, cause it's a little less $$$, but won't now: Tretinoin (Generic Retin-A) Gel USP 0.05% 20g. Any suggestions as to a particular one that might work. I will use the CE Ferulic/AGE Interrupter in the am (they do go together, right?) by Skinceuticals, and then the Retinoids or low dose retin-A every other night (may be less to start). I stopped using EMU oil or but the B5 Serum locks in the moisturizers so will use that right before any moisturizers are mentioned in my routine (Day Bare Min. Moisturizer or Night CerevePM, and now have started with CereVe PM cream for my night cream (after either the CE Ferulic every other day OR the Retinoid/Retin A low dose (whatever I get) in the evening. I am not up to a DIY at this time with the $ invested in with the good products that I do have (SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic and AGE Interupter), but need to know what to get for an A. I have a recipe for butter/vit A capsules/and Rose Hip Oil, but that is not research based worthy, as said, and so I will try that when the Rose Hip oil comes in, (ordered), but really am looking for a good Retin product that won't rob the bank and is good for me. SO my routine will be simpler now:
1.Wash with CereVe Hydrating cream.
2.Blot on CE Ferulic/AGE Interrupter(do these conflict btw???) (AM/and every other PM or more depending on how the retin A works at night)2a. B5 serum for locking in next step.
3.Day Moisturizer (Bare Minerals SPF 20 Normal/Dry Formula) for AM followed by SPF Suncreen by ECO for the face/SPF Lancome Regnenerist Foundation.
or
3.Night Moisturizer: CereVe PM Cream only.

Does that seem simpler, and a help to the skin's barrier function? Thank you!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:55 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |