Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Has my skincare routine destroyed my skin's sun resistance?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lotusflower

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, so I've noticed that my face is now a shade darker than the rest of me and this wasn't always the case. I used to wear no makeup or sunscreen, and my skincare routine was very minimal. A recent bout of acne and all the anti-acne treatments and makeup I've been putting on as a result have changed that. During this time I noticed my face tans so much easier and I hate that. I like my fair skin, I wish it would match my neck like it used to, and skin as pale as mine needs sun protection so I'm distressed that it seems so vulnerable to the sun.

Could it be that the products I've been using on my face have destroyed my skin's natural protective barrier? It seems all of the acids and exfoliating ingredients in these products have removed the layer of dead or surface skin cells that provided some protection against sun. I usually just wash my neck with soap in the shower and forget about it, but the few times I tried extending my facial skincare routine down to my neck, it seemed to sunburn easier!

In addition, I've started thinking about anti-aging products. I'm 27 years old and I'm already developing serious sagging in my cheeks. I welcome any suggestions you have for me to help with the sagging, however after noticing how the addition of lots of new products have changed my skin, I'm wondering if introducing even more products into my routine would cause more harm than good.

Can I/should I go back to the minimalist routine I used to have... without giving up makeup? Or is there no point in looking back, and should I just find products that work to protect my skin from the sun better?

My skin is dry/combination.

Currently I use:

Avalon Vitamin C Cleaning Milk facewash (morning/night.. not sure if this is enough to remove sunscreen effectively?)

EarthScience Almond-Aloe face lotion (AM/PM)

Josie Maran Spf 40 (daily if going outside for more than 5 minutes)

DIY vitamin C serum in the A.M. when I have time

Bobbi Brown concealers/foundation

2.5% benzoyl peroxide treatment (on my jawline as needed, that's where the acne is. I could probably quit this step and be ok.)

Thanks in advance for your help, I've just discovered this forum and I'm learning so much.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome Lotusflower - excellent first post! I'm concerned about this too, and at the very least have started using most of my treatments at night. Even Vitamin C. I know its supposed to offer some sun protection, but I think any acid will first leave the topmost layer of skin vulnerable. I use it at night every 3 days or so hoping that it'll penetrate and as I've read, do its work for up to 72 hours.

My skin looks and feels better than ever after using all these treatments, but its waaay thinner and seemingly fragile than it used to be, and that concerns me. I also thought it had become darker, but recently, after stopping the layering of products, only rotating them at night, and pulling back on exfoliation, things seem better. The darkening (for me) may have been due to irritation (reddening) which wasn't easy for me to detect with my tan complexion.

You might consider using ocm oils with an emulsifier to cleanse instead? Its certainly a gentle way to completely remove sunscreen and any other residue without complications. You could find the right oils to regulate your dry skin, and you might think of incorporating some Tanaka massage for your cheeks if you think your skin can tolerate it.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
lotusflower

Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:07 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the great suggestions Lori, I will give Tanaka massage a try and also look into face exercise for the cheeks.

I've been wanting to try ocm for a while but I've been a nervous about causing another breakout. I think I'll start by using some castor and grapeseed oils for my forehead only, since that's my least acne prone area, and maybe adding an emulsifier is a good idea.

Perhaps I can start with my cleanser, and then look into my other products one by one for less abrasive versions...
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hi again lotusflower. I'm more wanting to bump this for you since I was really hoping to see other opinions here, not just mine!

Note that castor oil can be extremely drying. I have oily skin and only use 15%.

But I also noticed you said sunscreen "if going outside for more than 5 minutes". It's often said that you need to wear sunscreen whether or not you go outside at all! Damaging rays can penetrate through windows and clothing and bounce off other things onto your skin.
And I know that for me, I can change colour in less than 5 minutes of direct sun (probably sooner now that I use acids). Vitamin C and b.p. will make you even more vulnerable. That may be at least part of your problem.
Many people here who are far more knowledgeable than me say that sunscreen is a must, never go without, and reapply often.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:52 am      Reply with quote
It may also be the case that your face is more consistently exposed to the sun than any other part of your body....?

Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:25 am      Reply with quote
It's true my face is more exposed, but the fact that my neck starts showing signs of sun exposure when I extend my skincare regimen down to cover it really makes me wonder, since it is otherwise unfreckled and untanned. I always revert to my standard method of a quick rinse with soap when I shower and that's all I do for my neck.

I would be very curious to hear about studies or just anecdotal evidence about whether or not acids in our skincare products or physical exfoliation has any tangible effect in sun protection? Perhaps that very outer layer serves a purpose. I'm not arguing that the benefits of AHA, BHA, etc. don't outweigh the drawbacks but I was hoping someone could point me to some relevant studies.
lotusflower

Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:28 am      Reply with quote
Lori, good point about using SPF indoors... I always forget this and figure I'm fine if I'm not right next to a window. However this will give me a chance to use up those sunscreens I have that are too greasy to be used under makeup (ahem - Josie Maran's) and I need to cultivate that habit.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:24 am      Reply with quote
Well, as you grow older, really impossible not to notice things that you normaly don't have. At 27years, you are still young. You can still improve the looks and feel of your skin. The only point I have to make is that years before, you were not using any sunscreen. This is a big no-no. I started noticing a little freckles here and there on my face years ago when I was still in Australia. I did not use any sunscreen before. After going to a dermatologist, she suggested sunscreen and some special cream (you can buy at EDS) and it greatly improve the freckles and those brown spots.... Never looked back.... You can use special masque that will improve the sagging skin I do mine every week).. I doubt if you can completely eliminate sagging skin, unless it is plastic surgery... Facial exercises or massages will help improve the look of sagging skin.

lotusflower wrote:
Hi everyone, so I've noticed that my face is now a shade darker than the rest of me and this wasn't always the case. I used to wear no makeup or sunscreen, and my skincare routine was very minimal. A recent bout of acne and all the anti-acne treatments and makeup I've been putting on as a result have changed that. During this time I noticed my face tans so much easier and I hate that. I like my fair skin, I wish it would match my neck like it used to, and skin as pale as mine needs sun protection so I'm distressed that it seems so vulnerable to the sun.

Could it be that the products I've been using on my face have destroyed my skin's natural protective barrier? It seems all of the acids and exfoliating ingredients in these products have removed the layer of dead or surface skin cells that provided some protection against sun. I usually just wash my neck with soap in the shower and forget about it, but the few times I tried extending my facial skincare routine down to my neck, it seemed to sunburn easier!

In addition, I've started thinking about anti-aging products. I'm 27 years old and I'm already developing serious sagging in my cheeks. I welcome any suggestions you have for me to help with the sagging, however after noticing how the addition of lots of new products have changed my skin, I'm wondering if introducing even more products into my routine would cause more harm than good.

Can I/should I go back to the minimalist routine I used to have... without giving up makeup? Or is there no point in looking back, and should I just find products that work to protect my skin from the sun better?

My skin is dry/combination.

Currently I use:

Avalon Vitamin C Cleaning Milk facewash (morning/night.. not sure if this is enough to remove sunscreen effectively?)

EarthScience Almond-Aloe face lotion (AM/PM)

Josie Maran Spf 40 (daily if going outside for more than 5 minutes)

DIY vitamin C serum in the A.M. when I have time

Bobbi Brown concealers/foundation

2.5% benzoyl peroxide treatment (on my jawline as needed, that's where the acne is. I could probably quit this step and be ok.)

Thanks in advance for your help, I've just discovered this forum and I'm learning so much.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:25 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |