Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Necklace banding - horizontal lines at the front of neck
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SkinAndBeauty
5% products discount

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:59 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

I looked everywhere for a post on this and I can't seem to find one.

So I thought I'd ask, hope you don't mind.

I did a little research on necklace banding or horizontal lines on the neck and upper chest area, which I unfortunately have.

There not that noticeable but I would like to get rid of them.

They seem to be genetic my mom has them also.

I tried a dermaroller 1mm last night for the first time.

Will this help along with neck exercises?

Also what other topical/cosmetic treatments can help with this condition. Smile
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:02 am      Reply with quote
I find mine are far less visible when I work on gentle exfoliation and hydration - lotion cleanser never foaming, light lactic acid peels and a moisturiser containing lanolin and aloe vera. Dermarolling can help, especially if you use topicals to increase collagen production alongside. What is your routine at present?

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
SkinAndBeauty
5% products discount

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi Firefox,

Thank you for your advice.

I've just started to use the dermaroller 1mm, every 3 weeks. Is 1mm okay or do I need to go to 1.5mm?

I buffer with Retin a .25 3 times a week building my way up to .5 and also use vitamin c 10% serum with sunscreen in mornings.

I might start using glycolic acid 30% but I don't know whether this will be too much.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:46 am      Reply with quote
SkinAndBeauty wrote:
Hi Firefox,

Thank you for your advice.

I've just started to use the dermaroller 1mm, every 3 weeks. Is 1mm okay or do I need to go to 1.5mm?

I buffer with Retin a .25 3 times a week building my way up to .5 and also use vitamin c 10% serum with sunscreen in mornings.

I might start using glycolic acid 30% but I don't know whether this will be too much.

1mm should be fine if you are getting pinpoint bleeding but AFAIK most authorities recommend no more often than once every four weeks. Plus you should lay off Retin-A and L-AA for a few days after you dermaroll to let the irritation subside, so that is pretty disruptive every third week. Are you using the acid form L-ascorbic acid for vitamin C? If so maybe switch to a gentler non-acid form such as MAP or AA2G. Why are you pushing for a higher strength of Retin-A if you have to buffer and only use three times a week? More is not better. You haven't said what cleanser, moisturiser or sunscreen you are using?

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
SkinAndBeauty
5% products discount

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

Cleanser – Cetaphil

Sunscreen – Nivea sun moisturising lotion spf 50

Moisturiser(s) – Palmer's cocoa butter, coconut oil or eau thermale avene then on the days I derma roll - forever young matriderm rich cream – which contains to name a few Matrixyl 3000, Hyaluronic acid, and vitamin e.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:29 am      Reply with quote
Cetaphil contains sulphate surfactants, IMO switch to a lotion cleaner or product based on cocoamidopropyl betaine. Hopefully you will find this reduces underlying (invisible) irritation so makes it easier to scale up your Retin-A use as well as boosting hydration. If the Nivea contains any chemical sunscreen agents it needs to be applied to clean bare skin not layered over a serum or moisturiser. Maybe try a moisturiser containing the humectants or lipids found in a healthy skin barrier - cholesterol, long chain saturates stearic and palmitic plus ceramides?

SkinAndBeauty
5% products discount

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:42 am      Reply with quote
Thank you very much, you have been extremely helpful I shall certainly consider those. Smile

What would you recommend as a non chemical broad spectrum sunscreen so I can apply vitamin c serum underneath - that's fairly cheap?
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Devita Body Block is well thought of.

bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
FYI that I repeatedly rolled my neck bands for a year with a 1.5mm and saw no improvement.

5% products discount

Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
I also have neck bands and have been working on them for about 6 months. The other day I noticed that they have softened quite a bit. I did a double take in the mirror. I am very pleased. I always got complimented on my skin but it is looking exceptional lately.

I have been using Skin Biology Copper Peptide and Paula's choice retinol serum in the evenings since the beginning of the year. I incorporated NCNs Collagen Elastan and DNA serums in the mornings in April. I also have been doing glycolic or TCA peels about every 2-3 weeks since the beginning of the year. And I use SPF 30 on face and neck.

It is hard to say what in this routine is working but it has worked for me. I will try NCNs copper peptide and retinol after I finish up what is in my closet.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
FYI that I repeatedly rolled my neck bands for a year with a 1.5mm and saw no improvement.

That's depressing. All that pain and no gain. Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
bethany wrote:

That's depressing. All that pain and no gain. Sad

Tell me about it! Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
These are two youtube short videos that Christine Byer(EDS member) has made regarding microcurrent and dealing with a saggy neck and neck bands.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaEyoaywcgM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFJ-K3fY_vQ&feature=relmfu

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
I saw improvements on a few of my neck bands using CPs on them. One of them definitely diminished (faint enough to not notice as much). I haven't seen as much improvement in them lately, but then I haven't been targeting that area either. I don't think CPs will get rid of them entirely (depending on how deep yours are) but they can help some.

5% products discount

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:16 am      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
I saw improvements on a few of my neck bands using CPs on them. One of them definitely diminished (faint enough to not notice as much). I haven't seen as much improvement in them lately, but then I haven't been targeting that area either. I don't think CPs will get rid of them entirely (depending on how deep yours are) but they can help some.

Wow thank you for the replies, wasn't expecting as many as this!

Hi foxe,
I was wondering I'm not familiar with the abbreviation CP as I'm new here could you clarify that for me, plus I'm happy that you've had some success with yours.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:59 am      Reply with quote
CP stands for Copper Peptides. You can read about them here
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=37752

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Is it urban myth or true that the amount of banding matches your age, one for every ten years if so I should have sobssssssssss 5, but I don't, maybe one or two light ones Confused

Also one shouldn't use a product with water in it on the neck, its so thin and water weighs it down, causing more? Is this one true too?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Tiny wrote:
Is it urban myth or true that the amount of banding matches your age, one for every ten years if so I should have sobssssssssss 5, but I don't, maybe one or two light ones Confused

Also one shouldn't use a product with water in it on the neck, its so thin and water weighs it down, causing more? Is this one true too?

I think you are thinking of trees (you know the rings equal the trees years?). Laughing Seriously, I have never heard either of these things. Where did you hear and/or read this from?
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:55 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Tiny wrote:

I think you are thinking of trees (you know the rings equal the trees years?). Laughing Seriously, I have never heard either of these things. Where did you hear and/or read this from?

I've heard it forever, it is like tree banding. They say you can tell a womans age by the bands, I'd be about 25, so I don't think it works. But the no water in neck products, I've just heard for years. I've heard same for eyes on no water in products.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:24 am      Reply with quote
The amount of water in a blob of skincare product is miniscule in comparison with the amount that washes over your skin each day in the shower. It is known over-wetting can flush out the skin's natural moisturising factors, so arguably we should not shower! Shock If you use anhydrous skincare you can't apply humectants (water attracting ingredients) like the ones found naturally in our skin barrier. All you can apply is occlusives and emollients.

EthelM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:58 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

Neck bands (horizontal as well as the vertical cording) are muscle related, so no amount of needling, lasering or skin treatment will banish them. It is akin to the eleven lines; while needling or lasering will rid you of the fine etched surface lines that result from years of corrugator muscle flexing, nothing aside from Botox or surgically cutting the corrugator will address the eleven lines themselves, the deeper muscle-based grooves. Botox has been used successfully for both neck banding and cording, however.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:45 am      Reply with quote
EthelM wrote:
bethany wrote:

Neck bands (horizontal as well as the vertical cording) are muscle related, so no amount of needling, lasering or skin treatment will banish them. It is akin to the eleven lines; while needling or lasering will rid you of the fine etched surface lines that result from years of corrugator muscle flexing, nothing aside from Botox or surgically cutting the corrugator will address the eleven lines themselves, the deeper muscle-based grooves. Botox has been used successfully for both neck banding and cording, however.

Hmmm...I knew muscles impacted the vertical, but hadn't heard about the horizontal. Too bad I am resistant to Botox, sigh.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:24 am      Reply with quote
EthelM wrote:
bethany wrote:

I've had two horizontal neck bands since I was in my early twenties, hurtling towards 40 now and my face has only the faint first forehead lines. In my case I think the lines are from spending a lot of time looking down - bookworm as a child, eternal student as an adult. Embarassed

EthelM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:09 am      Reply with quote
However they develop, the underlying cause is muscular. The topical "imprint" of the underlying muscle contracture can be fine lines, a crease, etc. and the superficial lines can sometimes be treated, especially on the corrugator lines, but a muscle paralyzer like Botox is really a necessary adjunct.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
EthelM wrote:
bethany wrote:

I've had two horizontal neck bands since I was in my early twenties, hurtling towards 40 now and my face has only the faint first forehead lines. In my case I think the lines are from spending a lot of time looking down - bookworm as a child, eternal student as an adult. Embarassed

Ditto on the bookworm. Looking down at my keyboard has doomed me as an adult too, sigh.

I'll have to pull out my facial exercise books and see if I can reverse them.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |