Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sunscreen on very moisturised skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
AlcoholicArtist
5% products discount

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:53 am      Reply with quote
Most of us would never dream of mixing a sunscreen with moisturiser as it would obviously dilute the protection, however, if we put sunscreen on skin that is very moisturised then isn't it still reducing the effectiveness of the sunscreen as it is mixing with whatever moisturiser is on our skin?
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:30 am      Reply with quote
I use physical sunscreen with Zinc. So as long as I apply the correct amount, e.g. anywhere from 1/4- 1 tsp (roughly Ive read around) then it should be okay. Actually I have mixed my moisturiser and sunscreen too. When I don't go outdoors I figure its okay and better than nothing.

Ide say if you let the moisturiser absorb then its like any topical layering and should be okay.
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:30 am      Reply with quote
Love your username Laughing

Well, it depends. If you are using a wholly physical sunscreen (zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide) then you can apply it over anything..really! In terms of effectiveness, having moisturized skin will not stop the physical minerals from deflecting uv rays.

Chemical sunscreens are a little more tricky. Personally, I do not apply serums that contain occlusive ingredients, such as oils or silicons, before applying chemical SS. They need to penetrate your skin in order to work.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:39 am      Reply with quote
I think if you are using a physical sunscreen, then just letting your moisturizer absorb well first is good enough.

Like ^^ already mentioned, it's better than nothing. Sun damage is too destructive, and it's effects are cumulative over a lifetime. You can't mess around with it.

If you are too worried about diluting it, you could DIY. But I know some people aren't comfortable with DIY sunscreen, so you could splurge on a brand you trust. Just pick a formula that has a lot of good actives in it.
AlcoholicArtist
5% products discount

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:56 am      Reply with quote
No I wouldn't use a chemical over anything either, I'm using Chanel at the moment which is actually a mix of physical and chemical but it can be very drying so I have to use a moisturiser underneath.

I got worried about protection because it didn't look as white as it does on bare skin

I'll just have to blot all my face before application to make sure there's no excess product. Very Happy
remlon123

Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
Here's a big yes to sunumbra.

Great sunscreen. Best part? the Spf 30 is 15.6% ZNo and the Spf 40 is 19% Zno and it isn't whitening!
I emailed the owner, and two of the ingredients they use actually turn the mixture from white to an iron-oxide type colour.
So, no tints but there's no pale sheen. Definitely there's a colour but it's not noticeable.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:40 am      Reply with quote
OP,

Can you use mineral makeup? I believe that many have an SPF?

Also, another poster said that it's not ideal to use chemical sunscreens over products, although physical sunscreens might work. Why is that? Do the chemical sunscreens interact more with ingredients than physical sunscreens?
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:37 am      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
OP,

Can you use mineral makeup? I believe that many have an SPF?

Also, another poster said that it's not ideal to use chemical sunscreens over products, although physical sunscreens might work. Why is that? Do the chemical sunscreens interact more with ingredients than physical sunscreens?

You can layer chemical ss over certain products as long as they do not contain occlusive ingredients such as oil or silicones. Chemical sunscreens need to be absorbed into the skin to work. So, even if your SS is part chemical, part physical, it still needs to be applied over non-occlusive products to penetrate the skin.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:33 am      Reply with quote
I moisturize my skin first before I put my sunscreen. I don't think it will dilute the concentration as long as it is absorb in the skin. after that, I put mineral make-up on....

AlcoholicArtist wrote:
Most of us would never dream of mixing a sunscreen with moisturiser as it would obviously dilute the protection, however, if we put sunscreen on skin that is very moisturised then isn't it still reducing the effectiveness of the sunscreen as it is mixing with whatever moisturiser is on our skin?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:32 am      Reply with quote
AlcoholicArtist wrote:

Yes I believe this to be true. But if you have to do it, do whatever you have to do. Like if your skin is super dry and starting to flake. I'll do this in the winter sometimes. In the summer, I try make sure that every product I use on my face has some amount of zinc oxide. Like elta- although I don't view it as a sunscreen it still has some zinc oxide so I feel ok putting it on my face, or even mixing it with burnout in the palm of my hand and then applying that.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe alcoholic, but why not use sunscreen on its own?? That would solve the dilution problem.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:11 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |