Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Does sunscreen block vitamin D absorption?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SkinAndBeauty
5% products discount

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:56 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

Does sunscreen block vitamin D absorbsion or does it allow some?
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:15 am      Reply with quote
I believe that it does, but I guess that that would also depend on the SPF.

That's why some recommend applying sunscreen after a few minutes of sun exposure.

FYI, darker-skinned people make less vitamin D in the sun because the melanin in their skin acts as an SPF. Overweight people also tend to have lower vitamin D levels.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:28 am      Reply with quote
We don't absorb vitamin D from the sun, the UV rays help us synthesise it. Yes sunscreen prevents or reduces that, so it is important to get a little daylight or eat plenty of vitamin D rich foods such as oily fish. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional/

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:51 am      Reply with quote
yes. as does clothing. In the USA, the medical establisment has decided the former vit d range is too low so the guidelines are higher now. Most people in the northern half of the US are now deficient. Take a suppliment and you should be fine.

My allergist told me to take 2000 IUs daily and my asthma and allergies should improve. We will see!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
Instead of D, I take D3 which has a lot of health benefits (http://www.vrp.com/bone-and-joint/vitamin-d3-higher-doses-reduce-risk-of-common-health-concerns). The Vitamin Shoppe has a liquid version of it and one drop in a drink provides 1000 IU. You can also get Calcium with 1000IU of D3 which is a good combo since they work together.
Kath91
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
SkinAndBeauty wrote:

Does sunscreen block vitamin D absorbsion or does it allow some?

Found this the other day from a good overview of sunscreen research
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunscreen

Hope it helps in some way

"Vitamin D
Artificial sunscreen absorbs ultraviolet light and prevents it from reaching the skin. It has been reported that sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 8 based on the UVB spectrum can decrease vitamin D synthetic capacity by 95 percent, whereas sunscreen with an SPF of 15 can reduce synthetic capacity by 98 percent (Matsuoka et al., 1987).[45] Natural sunscreen has been proved to improve pigmentation from sun tanning.[citation needed]

This was leading to deficiency in Australia after a government campaign to increase sunscreen use.[46] Doctors recommend spending small amounts of time in the sun without sun protection to ensure adequate production of vitamin D.[47] When the UV index is greater than 3 (which occurs daily within the tropics and daily during the spring and summer seasons in temperate regions) adequate amounts of vitamin D3 can be made in the skin after only ten to fifteen minutes of sun exposure at least two times per week to the face, arms, hands, or back without sunscreen. With longer exposure to UVB rays, an equilibrium is achieved in the skin, and the vitamin simply degrades as fast as it is generated.[48]"
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:56 am      Reply with quote
Please don't supplement individual nutrients without the advice of a suitably qualified health professional. Micronutrients work synergistically and in opposition, supplementing individually or in small groups can do more harm than good. If you don't feel you are getting enough sun exposure or your diet is not optimal consider a good quality multivitamin/ mineral.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Did you know that certain mushrooms contain vitamin D?

There's even a brand of mushrooms, called Sun Bella, that contain 100 of the recommend daily intake of vitamin D.

It turns out that, when you expose them to UV, they begin to tan and make vitamin D, just as humans do.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
Please don't supplement individual nutrients without the advice of a suitably qualified health professional. Micronutrients work synergistically and in opposition, supplementing individually or in small groups can do more harm than good. If you don't feel you are getting enough sun exposure or your diet is not optimal consider a good quality multivitamin/ mineral.

Firefox7275, I would love to know what you eat. (Could you share some recipes?) It's so hard to get vitamin D from foods, and sunshine is unreliable source of it. Furthermore, multivitamins typically don't contain much vitamin D (although that may soon change), and very few foods contain it. For these reasons, some people feel compelled to take it individually.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:48 am      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
Firefox7275 wrote:

Firefox7275, I would love to know what you eat. (Could you share some recipes?) It's so hard to get vitamin D from foods, and sunshine is unreliable source of it. Furthermore, multivitamins typically don't contain much vitamin D (although that may soon change), and very few foods contain it. For these reasons, some people feel compelled to take it individually.

Hey VeronicaM,

You can get higher IU formulations of vitamin D, it's just that they are harder to find in stores.

Vitamin D is very difficult to get in sufficient amounts from foods, which is why many Vitamin D experts rank it as the third best option, lagging far behind sun exposure and supplementation, which are the best sources. And btw, it seems that increasingly, vitamin D experts suggest that the recommended allowance be raised to at least 800-1000+ IU, so I would advise you not to try to get vitamin D from foods.

I either supplement with vitamin D (5000 IU; vegan vitamin D3; http://www.vitashine-d3.com/about.html) or follow Dr. Michael Holick's sun tables that tell you how much sun you need to make enough vitamin D ("The UV Advantage" by Dr. Michael Holick). Are you located in the U.S. or elsewhere?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Yes of course and vitamind D levels are important and I take vit D pills.

However! Is it really important to be absorbing UV rays through our faces? The surface area of a face is about half a thigh. So my strategy is to absorb UV's by exposing my legs to the sun- that's already more sun than someone that doesn't wear any sunscreen in the winter is absorbing.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
Yes of course and vitamind D levels are important and I take vit D pills.

However! Is it really important to be absorbing UV rays through our faces? The surface area of a face is about half a thigh. So my strategy is to absorb UV's by exposing my legs to the sun- that's already more sun than someone that doesn't wear any sunscreen in the winter is absorbing.

No, you don't have to expose your face (and it is probably better not too!). Dr. Hollick says that you need to expose 25% of your body's surface area to the sun for the time periods that he recommends in his sun tables. So arms plus legs would work. I just sun in my bikini (about 50% of skin exposed) for about half the time he recommends. Then I apply aloe after sunning.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
I take 2000 IU of vitamin D3 per day. The only sun I get is going back and forth from building or home to the care. Sometimes I run outdoors. Trouble is, I burn very easy even with the use of sunscreen. Therefore, I'm not going to damage my skin to ensure vitamin D is absorbed. I'd rather have my levels checked at the doctor to ensure that it is being absorbed. The levels are not low so its being absorbed despite my sun avoidance and dilligent use of sunscreen.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Cat_eyes,

What brand of vitamin D do you take?

Also, what do you think of cod liver oil?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:

No, you don't have to expose your face (and it is probably better not too!). Dr. Hollick says that you need to expose 25% of your body's surface area to the sun for the time periods that he recommends in his sun tables. So arms plus legs would work. I just sun in my bikini (about 50% of skin exposed) for about half the time he recommends. Then I apply aloe after sunning.

I wouldn't recommend exposing your arms on purpose, sun damage can accumulate on the arms (after face, neck, shoulders/upper back. chest and tops of feet). I try to wear sunscreen on my arms most days in the summer but I'm not as strict with it as say the face and chest.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:44 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |