Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

does my routine need a change???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
TammyH
5% products discount

Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:03 am      Reply with quote
Hi all!!!

I'm at the end of my rope trying to cap the oil well AKA my face.
I've tried everything under the sun with no luck. What am I doing wrong???
My stats --- 42 yrs old, super super oily, sensitive, acne prone skin with rosacea. I've been to a derm with no results (there's only 1 in my area!)
I've tried just about every cleanser on the planet, OCM gave me a great purge, but then blah!
My current products are Aveeno Ultra Calming cleanser and Equate for Olay sensitive skin moisturizer.
After much resarch online *head spinning* I don't know what exactly I should be using...
1)Is my oil due to an imbalance in my skins' pH?So do I look for a pH balanced cleanser? If so I seen Alpha Hydroxy's Nourishing cleanser at Ulta and have since read some favorable reviews.
2)Should I add either AHA or BHA to my routine? If that's the case...what are some recommnded products?
3)I've also seen Olay's Microdermabrasion kit...I know that would help with removing the layer of dead cells that cause acne, but would it be to harsh and flare up my rosacea?
4)Vit C? Could I benefit from this?
5)Could the culprit be my moisturizer? I have yet to find anything that gives me that punch of needed moisture without a greasy film, no matter how much or little I use. I was thinking of Garnier Moisture Rescue Gel.

I know I have sooooo many questions, but I'm tired of buying and buying stuff that just doesn't work. *pulls hair*

Ladies, thanks in advance for any suggestions! You guys are wonderuful!
kmrmv8
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hello! I would be Very very careful using aha or bha if you have rosacea. I also wouldn't use laa c serum because it is an aha and can cause some people to break out. If you want to use c serum, opt for MAP or and oil soluble c. I would also not go for the micro kit unless your skin is used to manual exfoliation. It is very easy to over exfoliate, which will only make things worse.
I know your skin is oily but is it also dehydrated? Some people do not use moisturizers at all and say that overloading your skin with moister is bad.
One thing you could try is mixing a small amount of pure aloe Vera gel with a drop or two of hemp oil. Or try using a serum instead of a moisturizer.

5% products discount

Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
kmrmv8 wrote:
Hello! I would be Very very careful using aha or bha if you have rosacea. I also wouldn't use laa c serum because it is an aha and can cause some people to break out. If you want to use c serum, opt for MAP or and oil soluble c. I would also not go for the micro kit unless your skin is used to manual exfoliation. It is very easy to over exfoliate, which will only make things worse.
I know your skin is oily but is it also dehydrated? Some people do not use moisturizers at all and say that overloading your skin with moister is bad.
One thing you could try is mixing a small amount of pure aloe Vera gel with a drop or two of hemp oil. Or try using a serum instead of a moisturizer.

thank you sooo much for your response. yes i have been told my skin is dehydrated (even though I drink alot of water!)

i have to ask what is laa-c serum?
kmrmv8
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:56 pm      Reply with quote
Laa is l absorbic acid, the most popular type of vitamin c for serums.
I would try taking a drop of aloe or hyaluronic acid serum (if you live in a humid enviornment) and a drop of an oil that agrees with your skin hemp is good for acne prone dry skin and has a 'perfect balance of omegas) and mix the two in your palm and apply to your clean damp face. If you use a light oil, it should sink in very quickly. In time, you skin should stop producing so much oil because you are giving it the oil it needs.

5% products discount

Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:22 am      Reply with quote
kmrmv8 wrote:
I would try taking a drop of aloe or hyaluronic acid serum (if you live in a humid enviornment) and a drop of an oil that agrees with your skin hemp is good for acne prone dry skin and has a 'perfect balance of omegas) and mix the two in your palm and apply to your clean damp face. If you use a light oil, it should sink in very quickly. In time, you skin should stop producing so much oil because you are giving it the oil it needs.

i've never used a vit c serum...so does AHA, BHA, & Vit C all do the same thing basically?

I've read about HA serums...so i apply the mix as a moisturizer or a treatment after i cleanse?
kmrmv8
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
You would use h HA serum in place of a moisturizer.
Aha, bha, and laa are all exfoliants, but each has different properties. Laa (c serums) are popular because laa is an antioxidant and fights free radical damage. Aha(glycolic acid, lactIc acid) and bha (salycilic acid, aspirin)are both exfoliants. You can research the differences between the two. For dry skin, go with a LOW concentration lactic acid peel. Always do a small test area a week before to make sure you have no adverse reaction. Lactic acid is super cheap from DIY formulators but if you do not have a gram scale tut goes to .01 then don't try it. I would go above 5% lactic acid (dilute with active free lotion like cerave or water) your first time.
To try bha, crush some UNCOATED plain, cheap aspirin, crush it, mix with water, honey, aloe, tea, yogurt, milk, or whatever and use it as a mask. When using acids be very careful and remove immediately if more that mild stinging happens. Ty moisturizing first, as you may not need any acids.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
TammyH wrote:
OCM gave me a great purge, but then blah!

What did you mean by this?
Just curious. (I may not have any suggestions since I'm unfamiliar with the needs of someone with rosacea.)

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
tinali0202
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
TammyH wrote:
kmrmv8 wrote:

i've never used a vit c serum...so does AHA, BHA, & Vit C all do the same thing basically?

I've read about HA serums...so i apply the mix as a moisturizer or a treatment after i cleanse?

i am using vc serum now ,for antioxident is fine ,cannot see other results
kmrmv8
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
Be careful because laa can clog pores and aggravate rosacea. there are other vit c's, such as MAP that do not.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:55 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |