Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Knowing What You Know Now - What Skin Routine in Mid 20's?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
StephCo
5% products discount

Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hello, Im Stephanie, I have been reading your forums for the past 2 days and I am very impressed with the knowledge base here. Which is why I can not help but recruit your help! Very Happy

My question is hypothetical.... If you could go back to your mid 20's, with the skin knowledge you have now, what would your skin routine look like?
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
I think most people will start by saying that they that they had worn sunscreen more often.
StephCo
5% products discount

Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
I think most people will start by saying that they that they had worn sunscreen more often.

Thanks for your quick response VeronicaM. I do wear sunscreen. So I'll check that off the list.

After reading these forums for a couple days I feel confused and overwhelmed as to what I should be doing for preventative measures. Im wondering about specifics... such as serums, retinols, peels, etc... Would you be using all or some of these at age 25? How often would you use them? Any product recommendations?

Also, would you say hands down that you get what you pay for with skin care products or can you find quality items at the drugstore?
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
It depends I guess also on what kind of skin you have. But I would also, could I turn back the clock, be more diligent at cleansing and make up removal, and be more alert to avoid drying and ageing ingredients like alcohol, and use antioxidants in my skin care.
StephCo
5% products discount

Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
It depends I guess also on what kind of skin you have. But I would also, could I turn back the clock, be more diligent at cleansing and make up removal, and be more alert to avoid drying and ageing ingredients like alcohol, and use antioxidants in my skin care.

Good advice on make-up removal, I do need to get better about that.

My skin type is normal, mildly sensitive, and I do not break out easily.

Antioxidants... meaning Vitamin A, C, D, etc.? From what I have read thus far it seems most people in this forum agree Vitamin C is a crucial part of skin care.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
Lotusesterh,

I was wondering the same thing as StephCo.

What antioxidants do you like best?
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
I'd have used sunscreen (and fought against any pressure to be out in direct sunlight in the first place!). And since I had mild acne & hyperpigmentation due to it, I'd have used OCM oils, and maybe a microfibre cloth for gentle exfoliation.

I don't believe that people under 30 (or 27/28 anyway) should use acids unless their skin is already showing signs of damage which they feel they need to recover from. I think the potential for damage or making skin vulnerable to the sun is too great.

These days you can probably get what you need quality-wise at a drugstore if you do your homework, but definitely by going the diy route.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
I agree about the acids.
Antioxidants, I think you can't go wrong with vitamin E. Resveratrol is nice and gentle, as is green tea extract.
I agree with LoriA, go DIY, you save a lot of money and you know exactly what you put on your skin. Besides, it's fun!
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
after talking to and working for dermatologists, they would all hands down agree that SUNSCREEN is what you should be wearing everyday, (even on cloudy days and in the winter).
Diet plays a role in the condition of your skin. Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated (the drier the skin, the more you will be prone to wrinkles).
I am horrible at this, but I LOVE HOT showers!! But really hot showers everyday can really dry the skin out and cause pre-mature aging/ wrinkles

Ofcourse, avoid smoking and extensive amount of alchohol. Smoking decreases cellular turnover and therefore you will not age gracefully.

I am 27 yrs old and just got my first botox around my crowsfeet area. Many dermatologists believe that if you start botox early, it can be a preventative measure.

5% products discount

Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:

I don't believe that people under 30 (or 27/28 anyway) should use acids unless their skin is already showing signs of damage which they feel they need to recover from. I think the potential for damage or making skin vulnerable to the sun is too great.

Acids.... meaning what specifically. Sorry if it is painfully obvious, I am still trying to get all the EDS lingo down. Very Happy
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
AHA's , BHA's, retin-A, LAA, glycolic and other peels.
Unless you have been very careless you don't need them, and even though they can give good results on sun damaged skin they also can damage and thin the skin.
At your age, your goal should be to preserve what you have for as long as possible, not adding unnecessary damages and risks.

When I was your age, my skin was something I took for granted. I should have pampered it silly, fed it good oils, and put on antioxidants to relieve the damage of everyday influences like pollution, UV, make up, stress.
And of course good food, good nourishment, a multivitamin supplement daily. Ah well, I enjoyed myself silly at that age, often sat at work after going all night without any sleep (and just painting over the remnants of the make up of the previous day). Lots of fun but spending 10 minutes a day on my skin would have made so much difference 10-15 years later!
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
^ yup yup yup... and no soap!

Another thing along those lines is that I'd be way more gentle and sensitive to how my skin feels and reacts to whatever I apply or do to it.

This seems to be a lesson I keep having to learn over and over... usually far too late and after my skin really starts freaking out. I mean it. Even right now if I focus, I can feel a very slight "heatiness" on my jawline where I overused my (now only weekly) microfibre cloth, and I've been keeping it in mind and being quite careful lately!

This is way more important these days with so many pure & potentially dangerous products being readily available - even to kids suffering their first breakouts and desperately looking for a solution! shudder. No pain no gain does NOT apply to regular skincare.

p.s. LAA is vit c - an acid!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA,

Do you think that those under 30 shouldn't use something like Paula's Choice exfoliants weekly?

When you say "acids," what exactly do you mean?
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:03 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther answered the question about what acids are.
(& I only added my ps about LAA being vit c for the benefit of stephco who may not have been aware.)

I don't know enough to talk about brands, but my feeling is that acids can change the behaviour of skin. And if it ain't broke don't fix it!

I've seen a lot of examples of young people's colour changing and perfectly youthful, glowing skin perhaps becoming smoother or more even toned, but losing its healthy glow.

You only really have that youthful skin once, and I find it so sad when I see young girls in effect, killing it. People think the "glow" they get from inflammation is the same thing, but its not. While it can sometimes be pretty, the constant irritation will result in longterm damage - and certainly more vulnerability to the sun which is EXACTLY what we don't want.

I'm not sure how to explain this. Plenty of older people can work on their skin and achieve beautiful results, but its not the same as youthful, vibrant, full functioning skin. As you get older its best to address issues as they arise.. you don't want to impede your skin from doing its thang, you want to help it along, not do the work for it, but train it to look after itself, not make it dependent on anything, not force it to struggle just to recover from damage inflicted every day.

Assuming your skin isn't already toast (I sympathize with those who've already been battling acne etc with harsh products), I'd recommend very gentle, weekly manual exfoliation - if you feel you need it! - instead. And I mean VERY gentle - like a gentle drag of a microfibre cloth. There'll be plenty of time to venture into acids that provide longterm benefits under the skin but you shouldn't need to sacrifice your topmost layers of protection before you need to.

VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA,

Interesting statement. I'll be sending you a PM.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:10 am      Reply with quote
I recall seeing recently cautions against starting botox at a young age (or even at all). I think there was an observational derm paper published this year where the authors say that botox at a young age sets the face up to atrophy or decline faster with age in later years.

5% products discount

Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:14 am      Reply with quote
I don't see the 'thank you' option my welcome email talked about, so I want to thank you all for your responses.

You all have given me several new things to think about and consider in my skin care routine from here on out. Thanks! Very Happy

I definitely agree that I am too young for botox, however I am a little disappointed to hear many of you think I shouldn't be using any acids - DIY Vit C serum and Retin-A the two I particularly was interested in using.

I do understand the reasoning behind your opinions of no acids - I would hate to thin my skin and lose that natural youthful glow. This is something I had never considered and I am glad you all brought it to my attention.

I am wondering if a DIY Vit-C serum 2x a week, only at night would be safe - or if no Acids all together is the safest bet.

Thanks again to all!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:33 am      Reply with quote
I changed my skin approach dramatically at 23 by avoiding the sun...probably the best thing I did for myself. I also used Retin A on and off over the next 23 years (I am 46 now).

If I had to do it all over again, I would:
- Stay out of the sun and consistently use sunscreen
- I would adopt a Vit A, C, and E protocol as soon as possible (I like Environ products...no acids, but still high levels of actives and lower levels of irritation). You can DIY their AC&E oil...I recently listed ingredients on the Environ thread.
- Limit the usage of moisturizers that can weaken the skin barrier
- Keep my weight consistent over the years to help limit sagging

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
StephCo wrote:

I do understand the reasoning behind your opinions of no acids - I would hate to thin my skin and lose that natural youthful glow. This is something I had never considered and I am glad you all brought it to my attention.

I am wondering if a DIY Vit-C serum 2x a week, only at night would be safe - or if no Acids all together is the safest bet.

Thanks again to all!

You could easily use Vit C 2-3 x per week. When these ladies say 'acids' they mean beta or alpha hydroxy chemical exfoliants which, essentially, dissolve dead skin and damaged cells. The Vit c active ingredient, there are a few different varities though, name contains the word acid (l'ascorbic acid) but I personally would not place it in the same category as AHA/BHA chemical acid exfoliants.

Im in my early twenties and I did use a lot of AHA products (cleanser, toner and moisturiser twice a day!) for about 10 months. It sure did help to clear my acne but my skin just doesnt feel as plump as it once did. I am actually using Vit C about 3 times a week to help balance and nourish my skin again.
kmrmv8
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 21 and use a DIY c serum (laa, which is an acid and does exfoliate) and RA. My derm put me on differing when I was 14 and I wasn't a big fan so I was on again off again. A couple months ago, my derm decided to start me on RA and I couldn't be happier. I have noticed both the c serum and RA give me a nice bright glow, not a pinky inflamed glow .
I think the key is going easy on your skin and start slow. Only start one active at a time.
Why do you want to use RA and c serum? Strictly as preventative measures?
I think it is ok to start off with a c serum a couple times a week. If it is too harsh, discontinue.

5% products discount

Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
kmrmv8 wrote:

Why do you want to use RA and c serum? Strictly as preventative measures?
I think it is ok to start off with a c serum a couple times a week. If it is too harsh, discontinue.

Yes, as a preventative measure. I do not need it for acne or any major current damage, I just want to keep what I have. Also I have a slight line on my forehead because I have a very expressive face when I talk and will lift my eyebrows! So I was hoping I could apply the Retin-A just to my forehead to smooth my current line and prevent it from getting deeper.

I think I will try the Vit-C serum a few times a week for a month or so and just see if I can tell a difference.

Thanks for your comments!
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:57 am      Reply with quote
I am on Retin A and my skin is in a really bad way! It is has raw red dry patches all over it. Do you think this could be because I am not using a vitamin c serum?
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:23 am      Reply with quote
NO!
Adding a LAA serum will make things worse at this stage. It sounds as if your skin is very irritated, maybe you are going too fast with the retin A. There are several threads here on this forum about retin A, and how to deal with irritation. Please be careful with retin A, it's very powerful stuff and your skin needs time to adjust to it, so go slow!
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:45 am      Reply with quote
Maybe I have been getting a little overenthusiastic with the amount of retin a that I have been applying. Am on the lowest dose so thought my skin would be ok but clearly not. The thing is I have been using it for about 3 months and it has been fine apart from the inevitable peely stage. But now it seems to have become really angry. Have taken a picture to show you but not sure how to post it. Will have a look at the Retin A threads Smile
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
I recall seeing recently cautions against starting botox at a young age (or even at all). I think there was an observational derm paper published this year where the authors say that botox at a young age sets the face up to atrophy or decline faster with age in later years.

Yes I've heard that as well. I've also read botox is a good in that it does prevent the repetitive motion thus decreasing the wrinkling that might occur... But you are at risk for atrophy of the musculature and what is being observed is premature droopiness in some areas due to muscle loss. I used to use botox but stopped - facial exercise, NuFace, massage keep things under control. I'm sure Safetox would be great - just don't have one.
It's so much better to not be dependent on an expensive, possibly dangerous treatment. Viva naturele.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:38 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |