Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Is healthy liver linked to youthful looks?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
I was listening to the radio and heard that this guy got a liver transplant from a 21yr old. Since than his grey hair turned black and his wrinkles disappeared. So I was wondering if having a healthy liver will make one look younger?
I goggled the article and he does look 40+ now. His actual age is about 60. Do you guys take any supplements for liver?

http://www.weirdasianews.com/2012/07/29/61-yearold-man-ages-liver-transplant/

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
That is very interesting. Silymarin (milk thistle) is very good for the liver...I have some, so maybe I should actually take it! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
I do. I take a supplements that are geared toward liver health. Very interesting.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
Conversely, it seems that a very unhealthy liver or deteriorating health of any kind can take a toll on looks and speed the aging process. Afterall, you cannot live without your liver.
carolb
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
This is an interesting topic. Obviously, if you have an unhealthy liver you aren't going to look so great. For example someone who has cirrousis is yellow and bloated and looks terrible. Also, I have read that you should drink a glass of lemon water first thing in the am for your liver. It is supposed to help your skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
The idea of the lemon water is to kickstart the body in an alkaline (vs Acidic) way. An acidic body is undesirable. Lemon (though it surely is 'acidic') registers as alkaline in the body and helps the blood and body fluids alkalinize. You can get ph strips to test urine for your acid/alkaline balance and work with it accordingly. I suggest researching lists of alkaline/acidic foods and this will help in making better food choices. Lemon water at night is a good idea too to defray the bodies natural tendency toward acid. Green smoothies will help alkalinize in most cases as will many green drinks.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
From traditional Chinese medicine, of course it is.

Your face reflects the status of the organ.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
Yiying wrote:

I wish we had a TCM thread...so much to learn!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
The idea of the lemon water is to kickstart the body in an alkaline (vs Acidic) way. An acidic body is undesirable. Lemon (though it surely is 'acidic') registers as alkaline in the body and helps the blood and body fluids alkalinize. You can get ph strips to test urine for your acid/alkaline balance and work with it accordingly. I suggest researching lists of alkaline/acidic foods and this will help in making better food choices. Lemon water at night is a good idea too to defray the bodies natural tendency toward acid. Green smoothies will help alkalinize in most cases as will many green drinks.

Sistersweets, I love this stuff! It is so fascinating. I've purchased Alkaline water at the store a few times. I've been thinking about getting a water alkalizer. I'm also a huge fan of Karyn Calabrese and she talks about acidity vs alkalinity in the body a lot.
BellaKai
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Yiying wrote:

I wish we had a TCM thread...so much to learn!

I agree. It's so fascinating and great knowledge. I want to learn more about it as well as Ayurvedic medicine.
moongoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
interesting thought
I always look a bit brighter when i oil pull (which is considered a mild liver cleanse)and i look a little worse when i've had 2 glasses of wine...
geat topic...
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
I made a milk thistle tincture a couple of years ago... aurgh ghg hghg... it tasted awful.
This thread makes me want to get out my tcm book, its brilliant. There had been some very knowledgeable people posting here recently about tcm.

Will drinking acv & water do the same as lemon & water? For some reason I can't get into the habit of either, but throwing a bottle pourer on some acv seems like less of a hassle than juicing in the morning.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
^Especially considering the juicer I own is such a bitch to clean. Sad
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
Squeezing a quarter of a lemon into water will make the difference - no need to actually juice for the benefits. A little bit of lemon will do the trick. I've heard even a few drops of the plastic lemon stuff works.
Green drinks - I use Vitamineral green almost everyday and similar things and I know they make a difference in your skin. I like real green smoothies but that's not always possible.
I also take milk thistle for liver health.

You don't have to get crazy. Start with a few easy things.....

What is inside reflects the outside. Just makes sense.

And FWIW I do like wine. But I love eating healthy. I won't give up wine and I live on good organic, healthy farmed foods. It's a mantra for me.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:45 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Squeezing a quarter of a lemon into water will make the difference - no need to actually juice for the benefits.

I know. But for some reason, citrus in my area is stupid expensive.
I usually juice (through a juicer) and zest limes, and then freeze them into little cubes for cooking. THAT'S how expensive they are. Laughing
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
"The Liver stores and purifies the blood. The liver is said to be in charge of the storage of the blood, allowing more blood into circulation during periods of greater activity. While in storage, the blood is processed and purified. However, if the liver is stagnant, then blood purification may be inadequate, leading to the release of toxins through the skin. Impure blood is a cause of acne, eczema, carbuncles, boils, acidosis , and allergies; in addition, toxic blood feeds all degenerative conditions, including cancer and arthritis."

"Hair is one indicator of blood quality. In Eastern medicine, hair is said to be an extension of the blood and therefore is influenced by the health of the spleen, pancreas and kidneys. In addition, the head hair is directly affected by the kidneys in other ways... Healthy hair is lustrous and thick. Hair loss and prematurely gray hair can be treated by improving blood quality and strengthening the spleen-pancreas and kidneys."

And I love tcm for how it doesn't hesitate to consider emotional issues as part of illness and healing:

"More importantly, regardless of diet, emotions themselves when driven by the desire-complex of greed, anger and resentment, greatly damage liver function. Unresolved emotional issues are stored physically as residues of excess in the liver, while emotional clarification unlocks and releases these residues. Therefore, as the diet improves, it is necessary to liberate emotional obstructions. Any of various awareness methods can help; practices which cut through emotional obstructions... also apply here. If the awareness work is neglected, an emotional cripple can find a way to pervert even a sound diet so that it supports his or her current disturbances."

"Worry and anxiety, examples of excessive thinking, greatly injure the spleen-pancreas and its blood-producing, nutrient-assimilating functions. (Recall that the emotion of worry, in excess, is detrimental to the spleen-pancreas and Earth Element.) It is commonly known in China that worry causes gray hair....

However, gray and falling hair is not the worst effect of worry. Worry accelerates aging in general because it weakens the blood, which carries nutrients necessary for cell regeneration. Also, since worry damanges the pancreas and its enzyme production, nutritional problems of every sort are more likely.

Worry and other forms of excess thought are not necessarily the same as the unfocused mind symptomatic of a weak heart-mind. Worry can be focused, but it is nevertheless repetitious, compulsive thinking. The motivation behind worry is an attempt to "figure things out" from every perspective because of doubt and insecurity. But when one has faith in a unified life process - for example, that life proceeds according to its own perfection - then real acceptance of the "suchness" of life becomes possible, and the busy mind can relax. In relaxed awareness, there exists naturally a greater understanding, even wisdom. In this way the knowledge so keenly sought after through worry finally arrives when worry stops. Eating meals with simpler combinations of food supports deeper, less busy thinking."

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:49 am      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
IThis thread makes me want to get out my tcm book, its brilliant.

Lori, could you please tell me the name of the book? It sounds very interesting! Very Happy
Cat_eyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
I drink lemon water on a regular basis. I makes me feel very good. Ironically, it helps upset stomach and cramps. I get nauseated allot and it helps that for me. It also slows down digestion which makes you feel full longer. That being said, its good for people who are trying to lose weight.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Health and beauty have a very close relationship.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
Its Healing with Whole Foods, swissmom! I keep lending it out to people and they all end up keeping it so long they finally buy their own copies!
A tcm practitioner told me its like a 3rd year reference book, so a little involved.

My mom used to have us drink hot lemon water with honey, especially when we were coming down with, or had colds. I'm pretty sure the water was too hot so killed the vitamin c, so I only drink it cold or room temperature now. Warmed if I'm really sick. With a little booze if I really could give a crap!

Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:04 am      Reply with quote
Thank you so much, Lori! Off to Amazon to check it out! Very Happy
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:00 am      Reply with quote
Lori, I looked at several sources. Would you recommend hardcover or paperback? Also, is the updated version necessary? I've seen some that were from the early 90's and I wondered if he includes updated info. in the newer versions. Thank you!
mogulicious
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:56 am      Reply with quote
Swissmom wrote:
Lori, I looked at several sources. Would you recommend hardcover or paperback? Also, is the updated version necessary? I've seen some that were from the early 90's and I wondered if he includes updated info. in the newer versions. Thank you!

There is a reviewer on Amazon that suggests it best to purchase the hardback since it is over 700 pages, she states that the hardback is actually lighter in weight than the soft cover. However, before I read her review I purchased a slightly used one from ebay, 2nd edition, 1996.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Mogulicious! I didn't see that review, I actually went ahead and purchased a paperback one. Oh well, I'm sure sometime down the road I'll get a hardback one because like Lori, I get the feeling I'll be sharing this one and may not get it back. Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |