Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
silicone applicator for serums/sunscreen?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
I'm looking for some kind of applicator to use for applying serums, sunscreen, etc to my face. I have a bit of (dry skin of some kind) on my index finger and don't want to keep rubbing stuff I use on my face into it.

I use various types of brushes for makeup/foundation and peels/masks, but don't want to use anything porous that will eat up my product and be a hassle to clean. Preferably something I can really rub into my skin, with a bit of give.

The thing I keep thinking of was a (silicone?) type shiseido product my friend got when we were 13 which she said was meant for massaging her face to improve circulation for her acne. It had a short black handle, was a couple of inches long and about the circumfrance of a quarter and brown/clear. No lucky finding one online. It looked smooth, firm, a little bouncy, and easily washable.

E-bay searches for "facial silicone massage" resulted in flat, little silicone scrubbies which look ok, but not gentle enough. I don't want to scrub product into my skin, and don't want to lose product in any grooves.

(I'm tempted to try some of those vacuum/suction cups though, but that's an entirely different matter... also some battery operated facial massage things with various attachments which looked interesting but certainly unreliable/disposable.)

Then there were these "baby soft silicone finger toothbrushes meant for helping babies teeth. Those might work.

Then everything started looking like sex toys, so I decided to call it a day. If I need to go that route, there's a toy store down the street I've been too shy to venture into... this could be the perfect excuse!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I overlooking something completely obvious?

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
I ended up getting the equivalent to the silicone finger toothbrushes at a local japanese store. I think they're meant for people who do a lot of paperwork.
They came in a pack of 6 (are PINK!) and work fairly well. I had to apply a little more product than I normally would, but not to much more.

I'm still hoping to find the silicone face massage tool, so if anyone happens to come across them, please let me know.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Indium
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
The way you described your friends tool makes me think of a Gua Sha tool.
Those are used to scrape/massage the face to help with circulation and to help prevent acne. They also use the Gua sha tool with lotion or oils to massage it into the skin.

The Gua Sha tool is smooth and flat and I have seen it made with Jade, a brownish type stone, bone, etc.

could this be similar to what you are looking for or maybe helpful to do what you want to do?
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Indium for your reply. I googled Gua sha which was really interesting! I want to look into it more.

The tool wasn't what I had in mind, but they also suggested the use of spoons. One of those chinese soup spoons with the rounded edges may not be half bad for an interesting massage!

Further googling into acu-pressure massage described a "jimmy" tool which I'd hoped would be it, but it turned out to be just a hard, rounded stick, for targetting specific points.

The shiseido tool my friend had looked more like one of those new fingernail art "stampers" with the cushioned top, but bigger.

I have these chunks of clear silicone I got to try as toe seperators as they're supposed to be good at taking the pressure off certain areas of your foot. I'm going to take the unused one and see how it works on my face!

LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:24 am      Reply with quote
How about finger cots? I think that is what they are called. They look like condoms for individual fingers and they sell them at the pharmacy for super cheap. They are one use and you could put them on 1-3 fingers to protect your dry fingers.
I use them at work when I have a cut on my cuticle.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks LauraLizzie - I've seen those, and though I may be wrong, they looked dry & absorbent. I really don't want to waste too much of my product.

I'm sure anyone reading here is rolling their eyes by now, LOL!

Anyway, the silicone fingers work fairly well, but it was actually a little tough just using the tips of my fingers. I think I normally also use the sides of my index fingers when spreading product - exactly where my dry patches are!

The clear chunk of silicone worked absolutely beautifully - smooth, soft, bouncy, perfect for massaging in product, and easy to clean. I'd love to find something similar that's larger (its only 1x1x.5"), or with a handle.

CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
Thanks LauraLizzie - I've seen those, and though I may be wrong, they looked dry & absorbent. I really don't want to waste too much of my product.

I'm sure anyone reading here is rolling their eyes by now, LOL!

Anyway, the silicone fingers work fairly well, but it was actually a little tough just using the tips of my fingers. I think I normally also use the sides of my index fingers when spreading product - exactly where my dry patches are!

The clear chunk of silicone worked absolutely beautifully - smooth, soft, bouncy, perfect for massaging in product, and easy to clean. I'd love to find something similar that's larger (its only 1x1x.5"), or with a handle.

Hi LoriA, the finger cots that Lauralizzie mentioned a made of a kind of latex I think, so the will not absorb anything and they do go all the way up the fingers so you can use the sides of you fingers also. The only thing I can think of that is silicone is a mixing bowl scraper and I would think that is not what your looking for.
Or maybe you can use the long piece of the toe separator where the little knobs are attached. If it's the one I'm thinking of. What or those gel inserts made of for the toe or heel of shoes? Probably not stiff enough.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
right, it is like the finger of a rubber (latex or whatever) glove, just one finger.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
oh, what about a thin silicone cooking spatula or cut up one of those new baking silicone sheets?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks you guys! I feel a little embarassed bringing this thread up over and over since no one else seems to need anything like it!

I will look for the finger cots but this silicone chunk might be the perfect thing for now. Its like this one: http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Toe-separator/p/sm/1032426160.htm

Its a little tough to grip, so I don't rub in product as much as when using my fingers, which for me is a good thing, since I find I've been a little too tough on my skin lately.

System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:34 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |