Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Why is my Obagi Nu Derm routine not working??? Help please!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
AJEDS

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:27 am      Reply with quote
Hi everybody, I posted something on here recently but I can't find the thread Embarassed so I'm posting a new one. I have been using Obagi Nu Derm for the past 4 weeks now and couldn't be more disappointed with the results. I have experienced all of the side effects, the redness and dryness, but have seen no positives. I stopped using the products for two days to find the areas I thought were slightly fading were just covered up by redness and dry skin. Worst of all, two areas on my face have got notably darker, one is not so bad, another is horrible, a large mole/freckle on my neck which appeared in response to the products. I went to my doctor to see if this was safe, to which he said it was, but the products must have accelerated the surfacing of the blemish (he couldnt give me much info, he wasn't familiar with the Obagi line). I am so dissapointed with these products, the reviews are so good, but they just aren't working on me at all. My pigmentation was only mild, and so was my occasional acne. I thought this line would fade my pigmentation and help with a little acne. Now my skin is worse than ever, and I'm really uncomfortable. Could somebody give me some advice please? Should I stop using, or persevere? I'm running out of clear and don't think I will be repurchasing. (By the way my skin is fair if this is useful info?)
kmrmv8
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
First off, it will take longer than 4 weeks to see results. And, correct me if I am wrong, doesn't Obagi work by bringing the damage to the surface?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, it takes Way longer than 4 weeks with prescription products. Obagi is normally an 18 week regimen. You are still in the early stage. Please read this website. It will tell you the stages and what you should be expecting with each stage. http://www.obagiskin.com/obagi-nu-derm.html
nuttymadam
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:00 am      Reply with quote
Hmmm I am thinking of going down the Obagi route, it wont let me search for some reason are there any other obagi threads!?

Keep us updated if you continue to use it thanks

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:45 am      Reply with quote
There are a lot of other Obagi threads. This is I think the longest one, I hope you will find your answers here.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=32112
AJEDS

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
kmrmv8 wrote:
First off, it will take longer than 4 weeks to see results. And, correct me if I am wrong, doesn't Obagi work by bringing the damage to the surface?
. Thanks for getting back to me. Rileygirl, it does say that by the 6 week mark there should be noticeable improvement, as I approach six weeks I can't really see it. One dark freckle has faded a bit, but the rest of my skin looks a lot worse, and those darker areas on my neck which appeared haven't got better, and I really don't think will go away, as I think they are too dark for Obagi to fade. When I started this my skin wasn't that bad, just very dull, and quite blotchy with mild acne and pigmentation. I just wanted clearer and brighter skin. I think I'm past the worse stages of the system, but I'm really thinking about quiting. I really have a feeling this isn't good for my skin, and I worry that I will not be able to do normal activities in the sun ever again (not that I do that much anyway) if I carry on with this now. Please give me some advice, if I try a little longer, could this give me more adverse effects if I do eventually stop?
kmrmv8
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
IM not exactly sure what you want up tO tell you. I don't know where the 6 week figure came from, but I am sure that it takes longer for many to notice results. Retin a is not going to create 'darker areas'. If there are new spots they are because you were not diligent your sunscreen application.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
AJEDS wrote:
Rileygirl, it does say that by the 6 week mark there should be noticeable improvement, as I approach six weeks I can't really see it. One dark freckle has faded a bit, but the rest of my skin looks a lot worse, and those darker areas on my neck which appeared haven't got better, and I really don't think will go away, as I think they are too dark for Obagi to fade.

AJEDS, it too me 3 months before I started to see a really noticeable change in my skin with Obagi. I know what you are talking about when you say the 6 weeks. They say that is the "first cycle" of the "out with the old". However, everyone is different and that is really just a number they throw out. Some may have results in that time, most will not and it will usually take a good 8 weeks (or longer) to start seeing the results.

Obagi is meant to deal with the deep/dark pigmentation issue, but this will take longer. The entire regimen is normally 18 weeks. However, some people use it for 1 year before going on maintenance.

I would really recommend going back to the doctor where you purchased the products and speaking with them about your concerns. If you did not go that route and are doing this on your own, then I would tell you to make sure you are applying the correct amount of the products, wear a good quality physical sunscreen every single day, and just give it time to work. But, you are really the only one who can make the decision. Obagi is hard and you get red, flaky and not nice looking for quite a period of time before that pretty skin shows up. Not everyone wants to deal with that, and I definitely understand that!
AJEDS

Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:24 am      Reply with quote
I would tell you to make sure you are applying the correct amount of the products, wear a good quality physical sunscreen every single day, and just give it time to work. But, you are really the only one who can make the decision. Obagi is hard and you get red, flaky and not nice looking for quite a period of time before that pretty skin shows up. Not everyone wants to deal with that, and I definitely understand that![/quote]
Thanks for responding Rileygirl, your empathy is very much appreciated. I am past the worst of this, to the point where I can socialize without much problem, so I figure I should see it through. I have just ordered a top up of clear and am going to see how it goes for the next 5 weeks or so. I hope to see some improvement around week 10/11 and take it from there!
AJEDS

Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:07 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
I would tell you to make sure you are applying the correct amount of the products, wear a good quality physical sunscreen every single day, and just give it time to work. But, you are really the only one who can make the decision. Obagi is hard and you get red, flaky and not nice looking for quite a period of time before that pretty skin shows up. Not everyone wants to deal with that, and I definitely understand that!
Thanks for responding Rileygirl, your empathy is very much appreciated. I am past the worst of this, to the point where I can socialize without much problem, so I figure I should see it through. I have just ordered a top up of clear and am going to see how it goes for the next 5 weeks or so. I hope to see some improvement around week 10/11 and take it from there! Can I also ask, do you know if the system will remove blackheads? I have deep ones on my nose which it seemed to reduce at first, now they seem to have come back, although much smaller than before.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:13 am      Reply with quote
AJEDS wrote:
Thanks for responding Rileygirl, your empathy is very much appreciated. I am past the worst of this, to the point where I can socialize without much problem, so I figure I should see it through. I have just ordered a top up of clear and am going to see how it goes for the next 5 weeks or so. I hope to see some improvement around week 10/11 and take it from there! Can I also ask, do you know if the system will remove blackheads? I have deep ones on my nose which it seemed to reduce at first, now they seem to have come back, although much smaller than before.

AJEDS, I honestly don't know about the blackheads. I know Obagi makes an acne line and you may need to incorporate one of those products in, but I would think the Exfoderm/Exfoderm Forte would help with the blackheads?

Good luck to you and please report how you do after a longer period of time!
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:00 am      Reply with quote
Hi AJEDS Smile
When I first discovered Obagi product lines, was through my doctor/dermatologist. I used the products according to specific instruction and through medical supervision. I was horrified at first because at that time (it was approx. 8years ago), I was feeling the same as what you are feeling right now --- horrified!
My skin was all red, flaky, dry, bad wrinkly skin. Took at least 3 months to start noticing the change. All my brown/dark pigmentation were all gone (thanks to Obagi products) and my skin is glowing. I've been using this product for a very long time now... I think what you must do is not to use too much (I think you are so anxious to see great results..) like use only pea-size or even half of the product you are using currently....
When you are using this product, you MUST use a good sunscreen of at least 30SPF..

When you see your skin improving or you get the desired results that you want, make sure that you go into "maintenance" which means that you still need to use this product maybe 3x a week usage, instead of 7x a week usage.

If you are experiencing redness, I suggest you use Obagi ACTION MOISTURIZER as it will subside the redness that you are experiencing right now.

Good luck with your quest to beautiful skin.

As for me, I am extremely happy with my results.
I don't have any brown/dark pigmentation (big ones because of too much exposure to the sun with no protection when I was younger). My skin is at its best that it can be right now....

Please be patient. Takes some time to see results...

AJEDS wrote:
Hi everybody, I posted something on here recently but I can't find the thread Embarassed so I'm posting a new one. I have been using Obagi Nu Derm for the past 4 weeks now and couldn't be more disappointed with the results. I have experienced all of the side effects, the redness and dryness, but have seen no positives. I stopped using the products for two days to find the areas I thought were slightly fading were just covered up by redness and dry skin. Worst of all, two areas on my face have got notably darker, one is not so bad, another is horrible, a large mole/freckle on my neck which appeared in response to the products. I went to my doctor to see if this was safe, to which he said it was, but the products must have accelerated the surfacing of the blemish (he couldnt give me much info, he wasn't familiar with the Obagi line). I am so dissapointed with these products, the reviews are so good, but they just aren't working on me at all. My pigmentation was only mild, and so was my occasional acne. I thought this line would fade my pigmentation and help with a little acne. Now my skin is worse than ever, and I'm really uncomfortable. Could somebody give me some advice please? Should I stop using, or persevere? I'm running out of clear and don't think I will be repurchasing. (By the way my skin is fair if this is useful info?)
amy0794

Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
hi i have been using obagi for 5 months now, and its has had great effects, however i still have hyper pigmentation around my mouth so basicaly have a moustache Sad so i went to my doctor and told her the problem. she told me to increase my clear application and sunfader application. However its been four weeks since i have been doing that and my pigmentation has gone darker. i dont know what to do? helP? will this pigimentation ever go with obagi? im lossing hope Sad
jackitty
5% products discount

Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
jade-1234 wrote:
Hi AJEDS Smile
When I first discovered Obagi product lines, was through my doctor/dermatologist. I used the products according to specific instruction and through medical supervision. I was horrified at first because at that time (it was approx. 8years ago), I was feeling the same as what you are feeling right now --- horrified!
My skin was all red, flaky, dry, bad wrinkly skin. Took at least 3 months to start noticing the change. All my brown/dark pigmentation were all gone (thanks to Obagi products) and my skin is glowing. I've been using this product for a very long time now... I think what you must do is not to use too much (I think you are so anxious to see great results..) like use only pea-size or even half of the product you are using currently....
When you are using this product, you MUST use a good sunscreen of at least 30SPF..

When you see your skin improving or you get the desired results that you want, make sure that you go into "maintenance" which means that you still need to use this product maybe 3x a week usage, instead of 7x a week usage.

If you are experiencing redness, I suggest you use Obagi ACTION MOISTURIZER as it will subside the redness that you are experiencing right now.

I don't have any brown/dark pigmentation (big ones because of too much exposure to the sun with no protection when I was younger). My skin is at its best that it can be right now....

AJEDS wrote:

Ive been using Eucerin to spot treat especially dry spots. I heard moisturizer pretty much counteracts the Obagi. Is that true? Thats why I've been afraid to use too much moisturizer!
jackitty
5% products discount

Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
jade-1234 wrote:
Hi AJEDS Smile

AJEDS wrote:

Ive been using Eucerin to spot treat especially dry spots. I heard moisturizer pretty much counteracts the Obagi. Is that true? Thats why I've been afraid to use too much moisturizer!

Does it really help with the red face? My face is pretty red now and I have to wear heavy foundation to cover it when I go out which is annoying not to mention not healthy for my skin!
Sdj13

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
i had a consultation with Obagi himself 4 yrs ago at his practice in Beverly Hills,CA.
1. do not use moisturizer
2. on Nuderm treatment, expect red, inflammed,dry & peeling skin which are all norm
3. my PIH(post inflammed hyperpigmentation caused by botched Vi peel) almost disappeared in 2wks of treatment & he put me on 24wks instead of 18wks.
4. once i was done with 24 wks i was on a maintenace program, clear 3x a week(day time), Blender with retinoid 3x(night), exfoderm 5x a week(i only used it 3x tho)
5. forget about covering it with foundation. just apply sunblock, not sunscreen, religiously.
desertpalm

Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:44 am      Reply with quote
Just applied Clear! Can I use ANY moisturizer around my eyes as they feel dry...what about Obagi's Ommerse Day Moisturizer from the ZO line?

Had a consultation w/ Dr. Obagi & he recommended Clear + Blender AM & PM...but sounds like that is very aggressive for my melasma which is just on my cheeks.

Suggestions?
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:59 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |