Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
How many TCA peels will it take to get rid of brown spots?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:40 am      Reply with quote
I bought a groupon voucher for 2 sessions of TCA peels. I haven't started the treatment. Yesterday I saw another offer for a TCA peel for $75. I wonder if 2 sessions of TCA peels will be enough to get rid of my brown spots above my lips and on my cheeks? I have skin type III/IV. The IPL light caused the brown spots to surface above my lips.

If anyone with a similar darker skin type did the TCA peels and have the answer to my question, please let me know. The new deal lasts until tomorrow before it closes. Thank you.
StellaDiva
5% products discount

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:18 am      Reply with quote
I have a little freckling but not brown spots. I do TCA at home using peels from Makeup Artists Choice (I am an experienced peeler). I did one 2-layer and one 3-layer 12.5% and I have noticed some definite lightening. They are not gone but lighter for sure.
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, thank you for your reply. I was wondering if TCA peel can actually make your dark spots worse for someone with medium skin tone. Any idea?
sandooch
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:22 am      Reply with quote
Natalyn, I have a medium, olive skin tone. I did 4 IPL sessions for my melasma before finding out online that IPL can actually make melasma worse.

What you are describing on your upper lip and cheek area sounds more like melasma than age spots, which may be the reason that the IPL made the area above your lip darker.

Like Stella, I also purchased my TCA peel (15%) from MUAC. I bought it almost 2 years ago, along with their 65% lactic acid peel. I haven't done too many of them in the last 6 months because I'm more into the facial exercises which require you to pinch your skin and, as you know, you don't want to be touching your face like that for a good long while after doing peels.

But, I can honestly say in the few times I've done my peels in this time (I'm going to say I've done about 4 lactic acid peels and 6-8 TCA peels), my melasma is about 80% faded. I have no doubt that had I been more diligent with them, they would be all gone by now, but they are easily covered up with makeup, so I'm not too worried about it taking a while to go away completely. Just know that you have to always apply sunscreen or it will start to come back.

Melasma is much harder to get rid of than age spots, so it's difficult to say how long it takes to go away completely. I'd say that after 4-5 treatments, though, you'll be very happy with the progress you're making. After those two peels you purchased, if you're still not happy with how much they've faded, get the at home peels. They are way less expensive and not hard to do at all.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Sandooch,

Thank you for your input. I just chickened out and cancelled my groupon. Luckily the office that I bought the groupon for has moved, so groupon emailed me that if I'm no longer interested in this deal due to the move, I can request a refund. I was really worried that the peel will make my spots worse. I bought TCA peel before from MUA, and did it once. I did get some scabs, but it didn't clear up the spots. I didn't know if I did something wrong or not. I just looked for the TCA again, but couldn't find it, so I'd have to buy a new one. I know I did not use it up but just don't know where it is.

Anyway would you kindly share how you treat yourself to a TCA peel at home? Did you do spot treatments? How did you neutralize the acid? How long did you leave it on before neutralizing it? How soon can you repeat the peel process?

Thank you in advance! Very Happy

PS: I almost forgot. I thought melasma is a dark patch, but my patch above the lips is brown in color, not black.
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
StellaDiva wrote:
I have a little freckling but not brown spots. I do TCA at home using peels from Makeup Artists Choice (I am an experienced peeler). I did one 2-layer and one 3-layer 12.5% and I have noticed some definite lightening. They are not gone but lighter for sure.

Hi StellaDiva, would you kindly share how you do your TCA peel? What's a 2 layer vs 3 layer? What % of TCA should a newbie get? What do you use to neutralize the acid? How long did you leave it on? Thank you in advance.
sandooch
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
Natalyn wrote:
Hi Sandooch,

Thank you for your input. I just chickened out and cancelled my groupon. Luckily the office that I bought the groupon for has moved, so groupon emailed me that if I'm no longer interested in this deal due to the move, I can request a refund. I was really worried that the peel will make my spots worse. I bought TCA peel before from MUA, and did it once. I did get some scabs, but it didn't clear up the spots. I didn't know if I did something wrong or not. I just looked for the TCA again, but couldn't find it, so I'd have to buy a new one. I know I did not use it up but just don't know where it is.

Anyway would you kindly share how you treat yourself to a TCA peel at home? Did you do spot treatments? How did you neutralize the acid? How long did you leave it on before neutralizing it? How soon can you repeat the peel process?

Thank you in advance! Very Happy

PS: I almost forgot. I thought melasma is a dark patch, but my patch above the lips is brown in color, not black.

Melasma varies in color, but is usually some form of brown. I will post a copy of the email sent to me from MUAC when I asked them how best to treat my melasma with the lactic acid and the TCA peels I had already purchased from them. I also forgot about the 25% Mandelic peel I puchased from them, but I honestly only used it once because it was too gentle for me. Razz Here is what they emailed me:

Hi Sandy,

Thank you for your note.

Addressing Melasma does take time to resolve.

To begin we would recommend using the 25% Mandelic 2 times a week for the next 3 weeks then stop. Then progress to the 65% Lactic acid peel... use this only once a week for 4 weeks. Then go to the 15% TCA peel the week after your last Lactic acid peel.

What this regime will do is to help your skin accumulate the two alpha hydroxy acids, which are the Mandelic and Lactic acid. They will help to boost the results for 15% TCA peel. After the TCA peel wait until the skin is calmed..about 2 weeks then start the whole process over again. It can take several months to see results, they will not be immediate.

You can use the Mandelic acid on the neck and chest but it is important to remember that the skin there is more fragile then the facial skin so do not leave it on those areas too long.

All skin types are different as are all types of Melasma. If your skin is a little more stubborn in noticing the fading it is due to your unique skin type. You are using the correct products and do not need to purchase anything further.

You may want to look at our testimonials page to take a look at the results some of our other Melasma clients have achieved. Again, while it may take some time to see results they can be achieved.

I didn't spot treat, but I would usually put on another layer of the peels on the melasma area to get the frost. I't leave the first layer on for 5 minutes and the next layer on for between 3-5 minutes or as long as I could stand it. I will be honest with you...I did not neutralize it with the baking soda and water recommended. I did that once and it burned more than the acid itself. I just lathered up with the tea tree soap they gave me and that seem to neutralize it rather well. It instantly calmed my skin down, unlike the baking soda did. Then I would slather my face with neosporin.

Here is a page from MUAC site that show a couple of melasma before and afters that are pretty impressive.

http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/catalog/Melasma-77-1.html

Hope that helps.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:33 am      Reply with quote
It took about 3-4 peels for me but the brown spot was mild and the tca strength also mild, I am a wimp.

Although I did get an extra brown mark from peeling Sad

5% products discount

Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:39 am      Reply with quote
Natalyn wrote:
StellaDiva wrote:

Hi StellaDiva, would you kindly share how you do your TCA peel? What's a 2 layer vs 3 layer? What % of TCA should a newbie get? What do you use to neutralize the acid? How long did you leave it on? Thank you in advance.

MUAC has very good instructions and they are probably better to ask this. They might even recommend a totally different peel. They sell sample sized vials so it's not a big investment.

But 8% TCA is good if someone is experienced at AHA peels. I left on 3-5 min between layers. You don't need to neutralize TCA (and I always use water with AHA/BHA). They send a very nice brochure with instructions even with the sample sizes.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:38 am      Reply with quote
Just wondering, after the IPL, did you protet your skin? this must be the cause of your re-appearance of your brown spots.... Usually you will need SPF of at least 30 to protect your skin.

Natalyn wrote:
I bought a groupon voucher for 2 sessions of TCA peels. I haven't started the treatment. Yesterday I saw another offer for a TCA peel for $75. I wonder if 2 sessions of TCA peels will be enough to get rid of my brown spots above my lips and on my cheeks? I have skin type III/IV. The IPL light caused the brown spots to surface above my lips.

If anyone with a similar darker skin type did the TCA peels and have the answer to my question, please let me know. The new deal lasts until tomorrow before it closes. Thank you.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:12 am      Reply with quote
Hi Natalie, never had a TCA peel. How does it feel for treatment? Does it hurt? I think if I will have one of this type of treatment, in my view, this will be my last resort in my opinion, but again people are different and different people have different opinions how to take care of their skin....

Natalyn wrote:

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |