Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Can You Use Glycolic Acid Daily?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:09 am      Reply with quote
I have enlarged pores and uneven skin texture. I know that glycolic acid helps with these issues.

Hence, I want to use a toner with 2.1% glycolic acid everyday. On another thread from last month, however, someone said that it's unhealthy to use glycolic acid on a daily basis. Has anyone else heard this, and if so, what is the reason for it?

Furthermore, the percentage of glycolic acid that I'd like to use is very low. Wouldn't it, thus, be suitable for daily use?

Here's the toner that I'm considering: http://www.dermstore.com/product_Exfoliating+Toner+For+Normal+to+Oily+Skin_33925.htm
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:50 am      Reply with quote
I was just going to ask this question too! I ordered a 30% glycolic peel from Makeup Artists Choice (very quick shipping) and did my first one last night! I remember now why I love these. It said you can do them once a week for 6-8 weeks. I guess then you give them a rest for a few months? Scally was our resident peel expert back then so I always went to her for the skinny.
My face does feel tighter and the pores look better so we will see if I peel. I also ordered the 12.5% TCA to do later if/when I have time to peel and heal!
So it would seem that lower level glycolic might help on a daily basis with monitoring how your skin barrier responds. Hmmm...
I will be curious to see how that helps your pore/skin texture issues. I tried the Retin-A (low doses) and ony using it every few days but my derm took me off of it and put me on Finacea, which has done nothing for any issues, including breakouts/rosacea.
I will have to check into the toner.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:44 am      Reply with quote
Exposing the skin to this type of acid everyday can thin cause it to become thin. Some cleansers and toners do contain glycolic acid but they are at very low levels; much lower than the above mentioned. 30% is pretty strong and should not be used more than once every 4-6 weeks; because it penetrates the deep layers of the skin which causes redness and sometimes peeling. The skin needs to heal completely before doing another one. I've used this type of acid allot. Why do you guys want to use this so often? What are you trying to address?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:52 am      Reply with quote
Cat_eyes, the toner in which I'm interested has 2.1% glycolic acid.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:54 am      Reply with quote
2.1% is very low, you might not get any exfoliating benefit from it, so I wouldn't worry about that. 5-8% is ok to use daily, however its always best to listen to your skin.
Angelina Ballerina
5% products discount

Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:51 am      Reply with quote
I've got an 8% AHA that I use daily and a 10% that I use weekly.

I bought a 30% peel but haven't used it yet. I'm a bit scared. I think I'll wait until winter is over and my skin is less sensitive.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:44 am      Reply with quote
It looks very interesting and the percentage being so low does look like it would be mild enough.
The pores and uneven texture is what I am trying to address as well. Just something a little past my Clarisonic to help keep the pores clean.
Let us know if you try it how it turned out!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:53 am      Reply with quote
AnnieR, if you're looking for a glycolic acid toner, here are two other toners that I know:

http://www.dermstore.com/product_Facial+Toner_9623.htm

http://www.dermstore.com/product_Facial+Toner_4045.htm

I'm not sure about the exact percentage, but I know that it's under 5%.
kmrmv8
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:58 am      Reply with quote
Mario Badescu also has some nice glycolic toners with low pH

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:06 am      Reply with quote
kmrmv8, I think that this is the product to which you're referring:

http://www.mariobadescu.com/Glycolic-Acid-Toner
kmrmv8
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
they actually have several different toners with glycolic acid

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
kmrmv8,

Which of their toners have you personally used, and what have they done for your skin?
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
Angelina Ballerina wrote:
I've got an 8% AHA that I use daily and a 10% that I use weekly.

I bought a 30% peel but haven't used it yet. I'm a bit scared. I think I'll wait until winter is over and my skin is less sensitive.

If you do it at night and use sunscreen the next day, it won't hurt you! 30% glycolic is actually quite a mild peel, especially if you're already used to the lower percentages.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:46 am      Reply with quote
How does glycolic acid thin skin?

And why is it usually included in many anti-aging products if it does that to skin?
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Yes, the 30% peel was very mild and although it did a job to nice tighten and help with breakouts, I had no peeling! Loved it. The TCA places where I did the spot peel did, as I wanted them to.But overall it just brightened and tightened a bit, perfect.
I am going to check out the toners as that might be a great addition and also help in several places that I am wanting to just keep the pores unclogged on my chin. That is the main issue now.
Sounds like there are several good ones to choose from that are mild enough to use often.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR,

Best of luck with the toners. Please do keep us updated on your experiences with them.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:28 am      Reply with quote
You too, let us know which one you choose!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:00 am      Reply with quote
I just purchaed the Rx for Brown skin toner.

I got it from Dermstore and got free shipping plus a 10% "My favorites" discount.
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:22 am      Reply with quote
I use Alpha Hydrox Oil Free AHA 10% at pH 4. Don't forget the pH, the concentration alone doesn't mean much.
I have tried Mario Badescu's products, but their glycolic acid products contain many other irritants, such as essential oils and alcohols, and they do not have much exfoliating power, if at all. That's what I've read on beautypedia.com, too. They do give rave reviews to Alpha Hydrox products. I have been using the AHA since January 2011 and did see improvement in fine lines, texture and decrease in breakouts without major peeling. Beautypedia only confirmed my positive experience as I read their review a year after I had been using the product. HTH.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:24 am      Reply with quote
fitgineer, so you use 10% glyclic acid everyday?
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:27 am      Reply with quote
Yes. Now I use it morning only, because I use retinol or Vitamin C at night, but for a year I was using it, as per package instructions, morning and evening. 10% concentration with 4 pH is the minimum for an AHA to be effective. See the pH thread:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=18360

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
Just thought I would post here saying that I use a 10% AHA/glycolic cream every night (very low percentage cleanser in the morning) with fantastic results. Its the only thing that makes a noticeable improvement in my skin. Even after 3/4 days back on to using it people were commenting how great my skin looked.
But, I remember Firefox posting that after 12 weeks of using glycolics its basically done all of its work that it can so I am definitely going to start using it in more strict cycles.

Always remember to use SPF when using AHA's as well!
Kate Mccoy

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:53 am      Reply with quote
The content used in this post is effective but please provide me an information that it can be used for oily skin too
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:52 am      Reply with quote
The Alpha Hydrox I use is Oil free, as I have oily/combination skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:16 am      Reply with quote
Listen first to your skin. Try the low dose, then if your skin can tolerate higher doses, then buy higher doses.... I would not try higher doses. The higher doses that I bought at a drugstore were 15% (I think) from NeoStrata.
This should be more than enough unless you want to exfoliate so often that your skin will be so red????

VeronicaM wrote:
I have enlarged pores and uneven skin texture. I know that glycolic acid helps with these issues.

Hence, I want to use a toner with 2.1% glycolic acid everyday. On another thread from last month, however, someone said that it's unhealthy to use glycolic acid on a daily basis. Has anyone else heard this, and if so, what is the reason for it?

Furthermore, the percentage of glycolic acid that I'd like to use is very low. Wouldn't it, thus, be suitable for daily use?

Here's the toner that I'm considering: http://www.dermstore.com/product_Exfoliating+Toner+For+Normal+to+Oily+Skin_33925.htm
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:48 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |