Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What Do You Think of Drugstore Mascaras?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
What is your opinion of drugstore mascaras?

Do you like or dislike most of them?

Here's my experience: I've mostly used such drugstore mascaras as Maybelline and Cover Girl. I don't think that I've ever used a boutique or high-end mascara, although I'd like to try one. One thing I don't like about most mascaras, however, is that my eyelashes feel hard when the mascara dries. I'd like for my eyelashes to be soft when the mascara dries.

Has this been your experience? If so, what did you do overcome this issue?
alexes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:01 am      Reply with quote
i have recently found a really good mascara by "Essence". it is in Shoppers Drug Mart, but i think you can order it online. the whole line is super cheap, and not tested on animals.
their mascara is really good - and it doesn't make your lashes crunchy.
i am using the volumizing water proof one, that makes my lashes look gorgeous, but it is a pain to take off. i may have to get a remover for it. i plan to buy another one soon - they are the most expensive thing in the line, and are about four bucks to five bucks.
i used to love Full 'n' Soft, but they don't make it any more!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:26 am      Reply with quote
alexes wrote:
i have recently found a really good mascara by "Essence". it is in Shoppers Drug Mart, but i think you can order it online. the whole line is super cheap, and not tested on animals.
their mascara is really good - and it doesn't make your lashes crunchy.
i am using the volumizing water proof one, that makes my lashes look gorgeous, but it is a pain to take off. i may have to get a remover for it. i plan to buy another one soon - they are the most expensive thing in the line, and are about four bucks to five bucks.
i used to love Full 'n' Soft, but they don't make it any more!

You may be having a problem finding the Maybelline Full 'N' Soft but they are still making it, it is in both my local drugstores CVS and Wajgreens as well as Walmart, Target ect.

You can buy it direct:

Regular....

http://www.maybelline.com/Products/Eye-Makeup/Mascara/Full-N-Soft-Washable-Mascara.aspx

Waterproof....

http://www.maybelline.com/Products/Eye-Makeup/Mascara/Full-N-Soft-Waterproof-Mascara.aspx

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:00 am      Reply with quote
Many drug store mascaras are made by the same companies that manufacture the high-end cosmetics - they just brand and promote them for a cheaper market.

Personally, I don't see any difference between high and low-end cosmetics - they're all pretty much of a muchness to me. Although sometimes there might be a certain brand that has a colour of lipstick or eyeshadow that I prefer.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:48 am      Reply with quote
I use Essence mascara, it doesn't cake and is quite OK. In fact it's almost the same as the mascara from Aldi (!) which was recommended to me by a friend. Her mother is a beautician, and knows a lot about make up that comes from the same manufacturer but is sold under different brand names (with different price tags). And her mother had told her that the cheapo Aldi mascara was in fact the same quality as some other expensive brand (but at about 15% of the price!).
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:16 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther,

I have the Aldi mascara. Do you find that you don't get as much volume with it?

On another note, why do many mascaras make the eyelashes feel crunchy?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:40 am      Reply with quote
I think just like with any high end, drugstore brands have good and bad products. I've bought my share of expensive mascara's but honestly never felt any were worth repurchasing. I've been a long time user of Maybelline mascara's. It's my favorite brand for mascara.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:08 am      Reply with quote
Aldi has a few kinds of mascara, all of their house brand Biocura. The volumising mascara I like very much, maybe it's not as volumising as other brands but I don't go for the false lash-look anyway.
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:22 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Many drug store mascaras are made by the same companies that manufacture the high-end cosmetics - they just brand and promote them for a cheaper market.

Personally, I don't see any difference between high and low-end cosmetics - they're all pretty much of a muchness to me. Although sometimes there might be a certain brand that has a colour of lipstick or eyeshadow that I prefer.

ditto!! I say save your money, find one you love in drugstore and enjoy! Same with some skincare actually.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:19 am      Reply with quote
Maybelline for me too. I've tried Lancôme mascara varieties a few different times as free samples and every time the little fibers in it irritated my eyes.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:37 am      Reply with quote
What do you all think of organic mascaras?

Have you ever used one?
alexes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:14 am      Reply with quote
Darkmoon - really? i live in Canada, so maybe that is why i can't find it. thanks for telling me though, i may just try to order it offline.

i heard a pro makeup artist once say that you should never buy high end mascara - save the money for high end foundation. she said that they are all basically the same, and the high ends just mark it up. not sure if that is true, but it's what she said.

Almay was really good too - they had one that had little flecks of metallic tint in them, for different coloured eyes. it was expensive, but not tested on animals, looked nice (i couldn't see any metallic flecks when i had it on) and washed off well.
for one third the price, Essence is the way to go for me right now. no testing, and it really does plump up the lashes.
AmazingLife
5% products discount

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
I love Loreal Volumous mascara...it's about $7 USD.

On the flip side, have you seen Guerlain's new $50 mascara? Beautiful packaging but it'd have to grow new lashes and do the laundry for me to want to pay that much.
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:10 am      Reply with quote
AmazingLife wrote:
I love Loreal Volumous mascara...it's about $7 USD.

On the flip side, have you seen Guerlain's new $50 mascara? Beautiful packaging but it'd have to grow new lashes and do the laundry for me to want to pay that much.

and take care of hubby!!! Laughing

I seriously do not see any difference in my drugstore mascara's than I do on expensive ones, other than my checking balance.

5% products discount

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:03 am      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:

One thing I don't like about most mascaras, however, is that my eyelashes feel hard when the mascara dries. I'd like for my eyelashes to be soft when the mascara dries.

Has this been your experience? If so, what did you do overcome this issue?

I have had this experience too. I used to use CoverGirl Lash Blast and I loved the way it made my eyelashes look, but I did not like the way it made them feel.

I recently bought Maybelline Volum' Express The Falsies and I am impressed. This mascara gives my eyelashes a feathery look and does not leave them feeling crunchy. I can reapply this mascara later on in the day and it goes on smoothly, another sign for me that it leaves my eyelashes soft rather than crunchy.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:28 am      Reply with quote
StephCo,

I've used Maybelline's falsies mascara.

Do you get the volume that you want with this mascara?
StephCo
5% products discount

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:39 am      Reply with quote
VeronicaM-

Yes, I get good volume.

Did you not like the Falsies?
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:41 am      Reply with quote
StephCo,

I don't feel like I got as much volume as I would have liked.

To those who've used high-end or boutique brands, which specific brands did you use?
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
What do you think of the following article? It compares drugstore and designer cosmetics?

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/my-money/2012/01/30/drugstore-vs-designer-makeup-is-sephora-really-worth-your-buck
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:07 pm      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
What do you think of the following article? It compares drugstore and designer cosmetics?

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/my-money/2012/01/30/drugstore-vs-designer-makeup-is-sephora-really-worth-your-buck

Well, that article just reiterates what everyone has said above. For instance, Bourgeois Cosmetics are manufactured by Chanel. It's all just a marketing exercise. Some people just like to buy "luxury" brands. My SIS is one of those people. She likes to buy the most expensive of everything because, she says, "I'm worth it!". The reality is, she's just ripping herself off. There are luxury items that I get joy from, such as handbags and watches - but makeup? No! It's rarely worth it.

5% products discount

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
L'Oreal Double Extend is the best mascara I've found in recent years and have repurchased

5% products discount

Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
I love mascara and am always wanting clump free dramatic results, unfortunately maybelline's the falsies flakes on me and I didn't really get the results I was after. Although I do like the volum express. I want to try some new loreal mascara but they really aren't very cheap here in Australia (I'm a tight ass) I'm thinking I trying an essence mascara next.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
What do you all think of organic mascara, such as this one: http://www.drugstore.com/organic-wear-lash-boosting-mascara-ultra-black-organics/qxp392596?tab=1
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
What do you all think of organic mascara, such as this one: http://www.drugstore.com/organic-wear-lash-boosting-mascara-ultra-black-organics/qxp392596?tab=1
I dont Veronica. Many failed for me ie Sweet Leilani, Suncoat. I dont know about the Organic Wear lash boosting.
Shadowvenuz
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:38 am      Reply with quote
I have tried using Maybelline mascara from the drugstore, but i felt pretty sick from the strong smell and the area around my eyes became seriously irritated and red after that.
After that, i've stayed clear from Maybelline mascaras.
I've tried mascaras from Japanese drugstores before. There's a brand called Shisheido Majorlica Majorca. They use the comb wand which took a while getting used to. But the formula was more of a dry formula, ideal for those with oily area around the eyes. I've tried several brands of mascara and this was the first brand that literally did not smudge despite me wearing it for an entire day. I had a slight nap and i woke up expecting to see smudge, but my makeup was intact! And you can literally see the lashes grow with every layer of application.

If you have trouble locating this brand, you can also search for it from ebay.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |