Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)
Does jogging (or other exercises) cause skin sag?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
yassy
5% products discount

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:52 am      Reply with quote
Hi i am confused with the whole Jogging and your skin thing. I heard that Jogging can make your skin sag more from jumping up and down constantly. Do you think this is true? I know if you run outside the sun would effect your skin, but i am asking purely about the jogging alone, r even short sprints, and its effects on your skin. If anyone has any ifo on this? There are mixed reviews everywhere its difficult to know whats the correct answer. I even read that steam room was good for your skin, then read another article that it was bad for your skin as the heat damages elastin. How can we know which is the truth.. CONFUSED!
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:27 am      Reply with quote
I've never heard that jogging was bad for the skin.
tefla
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:05 am      Reply with quote
Hi

I recall having heard this before. When I googled, this article was one of the things that came up. I hope the link works - I'm not very techy!

http://www.superskinnyme.com/wrinkles-running.html

Don't know if anyone else has any views or knows of other research?
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
I would think that, if anything, jogging might be beneficial to aging skin.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
I asked this question to several estheticians and they said they saw more sag from runners and felt that jogging could cause have caused the sag.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
I asked this question to several estheticians and they said they saw more sag from runners and felt that jogging could cause have caused the sag.

Interesting. I wonder how much those people were jogging.

Thanks for sharing this, Toby.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
I remember feeling the tops of my cheeks and my eyebrows tugging down with every step whenever I've taken up jogging. Its one of the reasons I don't!

Again, I think there was a thread about it here as well with a link to (I think) a derm's site where he said he'd be adamantly against it.

I'd imagine that it doesn't apply to everyone though. Some people are lucky enough to have tighter facial skin than others!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.

5% products discount

Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
Yes yes, the increase in cortisol produced during running (adrenal hormone that is created through stress) can also contribute to accelerated ageing of the skin.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
This will help.

http://www.superskinnyme.com/wrinkles-running.html

I remember a runner - Joan Benoit Samuelson A lovely runner - started later in life and won coveted titles but her face did show sag - It may have been the effects of heavy running over time. She was very lean and her face had lines which seemed much for her age.
I was a runner - 10 K's - very competitive and some marathoning. I recall your face takes a pounding. The constant rhythm of your feet hitting the pavement and your facial skin pulling down with it. It makes perfect sense to me. This was One of the reasons I slowed it down in later years. I would never run now - only pilates and the trainer machines at the gym. And running is a delightful high. Nothing like it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:17 am      Reply with quote
So, I guess that high-impact aerobics are also problematic?
wishee
5% products discount

Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:54 am      Reply with quote
Lol, I remember in one episode of Ally McBeal the secretary invented a "face bra" for preventing sagging while you jog.
tefla
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
I have a colleague who's just 40 and she jogs on hard surfaces every day after work. She's very slim and also intolerant of a lot of food groups so I think her diet might be quite restricted but I've always wondered if so much jogging has contributed to the very obvious facial sagging she has for someone still relatively young.
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
So, I guess that high-impact aerobics are also problematic?

Oh dear this is most worrisome. So we throw exercise out the window due to our vanity? Oh dear I certainly don't want to hasten my face sag, but won't give up my exercise. Anyone know if any real studies have been done to prove this? .

I suppose my physical health is more important right now. Im a firm believer in everything in moderation. I jog but not that much, more interval stuff. Its the only thing that makes me feel good and the benefits from exercise would far outweigh anything else.But I like the face bra comment...maybe Ill start jogging with my face tied up LOL Laughing
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
dione, if you're worried about your physical health, you could do low-impact aerobics or water aerobics.

I prefer high-impact aerobics. But that's just me.
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:51 am      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
dione, if you're worried about your physical health, you could do low-impact aerobics or water aerobics.

I prefer high-impact aerobics. But that's just me.

No I need to work up a sweat. Lol. I'm a high intensity gal too Very Happy

I'm not really worried, just more....dunno really.... Everything you read or hear these days is great for you one minute then detrimental the next.

Everything in moderation I say.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:56 am      Reply with quote
I think jogging is bad for the entire body. It's especially bad for the joints - it's too jarring. Walking is much better. I had a friend once who was in to jogging and running marathons and her periods just stopped because of all the strain on her body.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:20 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I think jogging is bad for the entire body. It's especially bad for the joints - it's too jarring. Walking is much better. I had a friend once who was in to jogging and running marathons and her periods just stopped because of all the strain on her body.

I got into jogging in my 30's and periods stopped completely due to body fat being low. I had to stop jogging to get the cycle started back. I used to teach high level aerobics in the 80's and my cycle stayed normal. About 15 yrs ago switched to a pilates performer and two years ago added zumba and my body is much happier. I think jogging is great for the thighs and butt(nice and trimming) but the knees, joints, and face can suffer. In my 50's I want to make sure I have mobility later in life and a decent face in the mirror. Dancing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:55 am      Reply with quote
Toby, how long were you jogging during your 30s? How many hours a week?
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:16 am      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
Toby, how long were you jogging during your 30s? How many hours a week?
I got up early and jogged for 30 min. four or five days a week as well as I can remember. My knees started hurting and I was hearing the concern about facial sag so I decided there were too many risks and I stopped.I loved the runner's high but over the years I have noticed those that kept the runner up have had injuries and sag. I am glad I hung it up when I did because natural aging is hard enough on the face without adding to it. I do feel the right kind of exercise is good for the face and the body.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:45 am      Reply with quote
Toby, what kind of exercises are you doing now?
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:51 am      Reply with quote
I think I posted before I do Zumba and Pilates performer.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:31 am      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:

Sorry, must have missed it.

It's incredible that 30 minutes of jogging a few times a week caused your periods to stop.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:39 am      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
Toby wrote:

Sorry, must have missed it.

It's incredible that 30 minutes of jogging a few times a week caused your periods to stop.

At the time I experienced it others didn't seem surprised. I had two friends that like to run for that very reason...they didn't want to be bothered with a period. I didn't feel it was healthy not have a period so reluctantly I gave it up.....now I am glad I did. Lots of things that seem harmless in your 30's come back to haunt you later in the aging game.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
Toby,

You made a wise decision to stop.

I'm surprised because I thought that you need hours of daily exercise to halt menstruation.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
Until it happened to me I would have thought that too. I had my body fat tested at the time and it was not that low. I even tried to start running later only to have the same thing happen. This was the only time my periods were ever not completely regular. I had done lots of exercising in the past, even been an aerobics instructor teaching back to back high level classes and never had issues. This was one time I listened to my body and now looking back I am grateful. Wish I had done that more...like not tanning as a teenager.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:20 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |