Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Antidepressants and Aging?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
MisterLurk
5% products discount

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
So, I was wondering what merit there is in the idea that facial aging is caused by antidepressants?
Those of you who read a lot of the posts on here may have seen my post about the signs I was having of premature aging, and realized that I have taken antidepressants twice in my life and gone through a very depressing breakup!
I have a lot of anxiety and depression issues, starting at the age of 17, and at 18 after being on anti-depressants I had lost nearly all of my facial fat, and at 22 have hollowing of the eyes and very slight nasolobials, which I started noticing at the age of 21. I noticed my face got very gaunt/hollow after I became very depressed over my breakup and other factors, although the depressed tear troughs seemed to occur randomly (I can't remember if I was stressed at the time), though I had upped my dose of antidepressants around the age of 19. Could the antidepressants be the cause of my "premature aging?" I seem to have a lot of lax skin around my eyelids as well, as if having premature brow sagging or a herniation of fat inside of my eye sockets. However, it is hard to tell because I have always had very low eyebrows and I know many people with extra skin around that area, regardless of age.

I am pretty sure I have dehydrated skin too, as it looked criss-crossed and crack beneath my eyes and a bit crepey when I smile, which is stressing me out even more, but I don't want to take antidepressants just in case! I'm kind of at a loss as my skin issues are giving me anxiety/depression but I'm afraid to do anything medical about it! Augh.

My mom did not seem to have these same issues at my age (judging by pictures, at least) and she tanned and burned for years. She also had taken anti-depressants and had depression but doesn't seem to have the crepey texture or doughy/soft, loose skin that I have. And she is 26 years old than me. Also I seem to have a recessive tear trough, my tear troughs bones are behind the front of my eyes which I hear can contribute to this.

My thoughts are everywhere right now, I'm not sure how to handle the issues of aging if my mental state is contributing to it, and I can't contribute to repairing my mental state without medication, which could possibly age me more....vicious cycle.

Also strange that dermatologists/plastic surgeons say facial exercises don't work, but that antidepressants age you by weakening/relaxing facial muscles. Isn't that an oxymoron?
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:49 am      Reply with quote
I work as an esthetician and so I see a lot of faces. When I see someone with skin that is dull and not luminous, I ask about meds. antidepressants and pain meds really make the skin look dull. I can also tell the people that don't drink water. There are a lot of people that tell me they live on red wine and coffee or beer and coffee. Their skin looks so "off".

So if you need meds, take them! But drink a lot of water and be kind to the skin.

5% products discount

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:51 am      Reply with quote
Oh okay! I went through a period of about 2 years of drinking nothing but energy drinks/coffee, but literally there was almost no water in my diet for 4 years. I have been off nearly all soda and coffee for about a month now! Funnily, the sunken eyes began when I had been drinking energy drinks for awhile.

However I have noticed no improvements, my skin is still dull and dry/cracky looking. I heard that once your skin is dehydrated, it needs to be repaired by things like hyraulic acids, etc. Does this really work? I seem to look even more dry and cracky after attempting to take care of my skin, though I have only been using the hyraulic acid moisturizers for about 1-2 weeks.
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:24 am      Reply with quote
Hyaluronic Acid works almost instantly, but my positive experience has been with water-based serums, not moisturizers. Moisturizers with HA can make your skin drier, because you need apply it on top of damp, even wet skin, so that the moisture is locked by the HA molecules, otherwise they have nothing to bind to and they will suck out all moisture out of your skin.

5% products discount

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:55 am      Reply with quote
That could be my problem right there. I bet the sunscreens/moisturizers I was using were also drying out my skin, which seemed to increased the cracked texture.

Can you recommend a water-based product that's worked for you?
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
MisterLurk wrote:
That could be my problem right there. I bet the sunscreens/moisturizers I was using were also drying out my skin, which seemed to increased the cracked texture.

Can you recommend a water-based product that's worked for you?

The only one that has worked extremely well so far has been Dermalogica Hydrating Booster. You can get it off eBay for about $35. If you are in the US, go to Ulta or BeautyBrands and ask them to make you a sample first. There are also cheaper alternatives on Amazon, but my skin was in desperate need of re-balancing, so I wanted to go with a trusted source.
I use it all over my face after a balancing toner, including under my eyes. I then apply my salicylic acid oil free moisturizer and physical sun screen a few minutes after, and use loose powder to soak up any shine.
I may try to make some myself next, there are simple recipes out there, but I believe the molecular mass of HA matters and I am not sure what supplier has the right one for correct skin penetration.
Hope this helps!

5% products discount

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the recommendation, will definitely have to try it. Does your skin seem to have improved overall, or just when you put it on?

Is it okay to take Retin-A or similar products with dehydrated skin or does that make it worse? I heard that dehydration lines are worsened with Retin-A but "real" wrinkles are made better.

Oh, and do you use niacinamides of any kind?

Sorry for all the questions, I AM going to a derm soon but I'm afraid I'm going to be pushed product lines instead of getting any real help with my skin, etc.

The questions go for anyone else who cares to answer as well. C:
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
I use Olay ProX Deep Wrinkle treatment that has some Retinol and Niacinamide in it, but i only use it every other night. When I do, I apply it on dry, clean skin (maybe after using the toner), and after 10-15 min I apply the HA serum.
I have used Nia24 Eye Repair cream with no results since April, so I've given up on it. Poor packaging too, it tends to dry out after a while.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
Another great hydrator is NCN Bioactive Day cream. It is super emollient, great for dry skin.

I also like Garden of Wisdom's new Calendula Waxless Cream - it is very light, so I mix it with a little oil. This made a huge difference when my skin was dehydrated.

Personally, my advice would be to hold off on the Retin-A for a month or so as you rehydrate your skin. Do as little as possible and minimize actives. Then... slowly... incorporate back in.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
Just a note, the reason I use serums and (mostly) oil free creams is because I am acne-prone and oils and heavy creams can cause me to break out. However, my skin was dehydrated and the best solution was a light weight HA serum.
Moreover, my sun screen is emollient enough. I live n Arizona, we've been having days with temperatures of over 110F, so I stay away from anything heavy... during the day especially.

5% products discount

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
I began looking more cracked just a few days after applying sunscreen (the "non-drying" type), but I need sunscreen, for now I may have to put water on top, then moisturizer with AH, and then physical sunscreen.

It's like my face was better when I was using no sunscreen, harsh soaps, and hot water. Now it just looks gross and cracky and even a little 'pitted' all over, as if there are tiny little rough particles covering my entire skin. The pores on my forehead, cheeks, and beneath my nose are huge, and there are tiny bumps beneath my eyes along the tear trough. I suspect they are glands showing from thin skin. I know I've gotten more sun exposure and had more caffeine than is good for you, but I'm 22! It's like my face is falling apart years ahead of time. :C

I will try to hold off on the Retin-A, and attempt the water-based HA when it comes in.
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
MisterLurk wrote:
I began looking more cracked just a few days after applying sunscreen (the "non-drying" type), but I need sunscreen, for now I may have to put water on top, then moisturizer with AH, and then physical sunscreen.

It's like my face was better when I was using no sunscreen, harsh soaps, and hot water. Now it just looks gross and cracky and even a little 'pitted' all over, as if there are tiny little rough particles covering my entire skin. The pores on my forehead, cheeks, and beneath my nose are huge, and there are tiny bumps beneath my eyes along the tear trough. I suspect they are glands showing from thin skin. I know I've gotten more sun exposure and had more caffeine than is good for you, but I'm 22! It's like my face is falling apart years ahead of time. :C

I will try to hold off on the Retin-A, and attempt the water-based HA when it comes in.

Just be patient, your skin needs repairing, but it needs something simple from what you are saying.
I would use nothing but mild cleansers; if you aren't prone to acne, try just plain water. Otherwise, try CeraVe or Dr. Bronner's. Stay away from alcohol-containing products and other irritants as much as you can. If you are not allergic to it, an aloe gel might help heal as well. Just my opinion.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, and don't forget to feed your skin from the inside.
Drink plenty of water, make sure you have a balanced, clean diet.
I would incorporate healthy fats, such as avocados, nuts, coconut oil, fatty fish/fish oil.
Reduce caffeine intake and refined sugars. Take your carbohydrates from whole grains and fruit. Eat plenty of veggies and enough lean protein. I am no doctor so these are only guidelines based on my personal experience. HTH

5% products discount

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, I've cut out nearly all caffeine but I realize that's not enough to heal my skin.

The difference between my skin 3 years ago and now is astounding, I just have this crippling fear that it's always going to look terrible no matter how much I try to improve it, I guess.

I know it's silly, etc, but I probably am not the only one who feels this way, at least.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
MisterLurk wrote:
Oh okay! I went through a period of about 2 years of drinking nothing but energy drinks/coffee, but literally there was almost no water in my diet for 4 years. I have been off nearly all soda and coffee for about a month now! Funnily, the sunken eyes began when I had been drinking energy drinks for awhile.

However I have noticed no improvements, my skin is still dull and dry/cracky looking. I heard that once your skin is dehydrated, it needs to be repaired by things like hyraulic acids, etc. Does this really work? I seem to look even more dry and cracky after attempting to take care of my skin, though I have only been using the hyraulic acid moisturizers for about 1-2 weeks.

try two YEARS of taking care of your skin and nutrition..and then you'll see a difference.
MisterLurk
5% products discount

Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
Good point!

Could this "aging" also be because of stress, by the way? I've been very stressed out for nearly 6 months or more!

When not "stressed out," I've had a fairly short fuse which is not normal for me. I looked bad last time I went through a "stressful" period, although not nearly this bad.

It is after this period of stress and not taking care of myself that it looks like I aged a bit faster than normal.
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
MisterLurk wrote:
Good point!

Could this "aging" also be because of stress, by the way? I've been very stressed out for nearly 6 months or more!

When not "stressed out," I've had a fairly short fuse which is not normal for me. I looked bad last time I went through a "stressful" period, although not nearly this bad.

It is after this period of stress and not taking care of myself that it looks like I aged a bit faster than normal.

Stress -> Cortisol -> Glycation -> Decrease in Hyaluronic Acid in Skin -> etc
Check out this article:
http://health.yahoo.net/experts/skintype/effects-stress-your-skin
Excerpt:
Quote:
The Stress Hormone

When we are stressed, a hormone called cortisol is released and wreaks havoc on our bodies. Research has found that it leads to a dangerous accumulation of fat around our organs, and too much cortisol has an effect on our skin as well. Caused by lack of sleep and other stress, here’s the lowdown on the connection between cortisol and our skin.

Lines and Wrinkles

As soon as cortisol is released by the body, sugar levels in the blood increase. We know that sugar spikes are especially bad for diabetics, but increased blood sugar also promotes a process called glycation in our skin. Glycation damages our skin’s collagen, causing it to become rigid, which increases lines and wrinkles.

Dry & Damaged Skin

In addition to causing glycation, cortisol also decreases our skin’s natural production of hyaluronic acid, which serves as a natural moisturizer for our skin. Even more, cortisol compromises the skin’s barrier, which allows even more hydration to seep out. And when skin is dehydrated, the enzymes in our skin that work to repair the damage done every day don’t work as well.

5% products discount

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
Oh man, looks like I've royally messed myself up here!

I knew I wasn't living healthily, didn't think the effects would be so sudden and dramatic! D:
Kate Mccoy

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:49 am      Reply with quote
The process acquired in this post is artificial and therefore it can create a side effect to your skin
MisterLurk
5% products discount

Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:28 am      Reply with quote
Is there any way to help this? I mean, I look awful in comparison even just a year and half ago.
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:38 am      Reply with quote
I think you should focus on healing yourself - the whole you. As you feel better and treat your body better, you skin will improve as it is part of your body too!
Eating right, working out, doing stress reduction stuff (yoga or whatever), getting counseling - all the boring stuff will improve the whole you and be reflected in your skin! A magic pill or cream or laser would be nice though but I haven't found it yet!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:50 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Laura on this one. My first recommendation is to take a weekend to yourself. If you can, take a trip to the mountains, hike, do a walking meditation, enjoy the nature, eat at a health food place, detox your mind, body and spirit. I followed The Detox Box for 3 weeks and I felt amazing!

5% products discount

Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:08 am      Reply with quote
Stress and depression simply ages a person.

I am only 21, but have been through ALOT in my short amount of lifetime.

I can SEE signs of aging due to the stress, anxiety, worry, etc.

In my case, I have watched both of my parents die of brain cancer/lung cancer (8 years apart),along with several other traumatic experiences.

I figure all I can do now is make up for lost time by living more healthy than before.
lookwithin
5% products discount

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
Agree with Laura as well on working on yourself first. The thing with anxiety and depression is you have a distorted view of things, you focus on the negative, amplify the negative while minimizing the positive, worry about things that you cannot change, etc. It's a very vicious cycle.

I can definitely see all your worry and anxiety directed at your skin from your posts. Skin is not something you want to direct a distorted lens at as some of your worries will happen eventually. We all age and we all will get old and wrinkled eventually, this is inevitable. You may really hate how you look now, but is it really that bad? Do your friends and family remark how old you look?
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
I would learn from here what products/ingredients to use. Make them part of your regime, but don't keep scrutinizing yourself looking for flaws. I used to do this and it only made me feel worse. Apply your products, make good diet choices and work on your anxiety/depression. How you feel inside, and the stress, will definitely be having the biggest impact on your skin and how you look- no matter what you eat or apply. Push it to the back of your mind and try to relax and enjoy life a little. Get into this groove and you will soon be happy with your looks. I've been there, TRUST ME. You WILL turn this around.

If you want product tips, let me know. Wink
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |