Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

The Sqoom
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Just a suggestion - but you could try using Rose Water as a spray instead of the expensive Avene. Rose Water is very beneficial to the skin - and you can buy the concentrate from a pharmacy and dilute it yourself, which makes it very inexpensive.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
Here is a video on the Merbe I haven't seen. (it is part of an ebay listing) If you go to the 3:37 mark there are some neat experiments done with water and ink that show you how the ultrasound/galvanic work.

Havana I think they are both the same but I don't think anyone has found the actual specs on the Merbe. They do look exactly the same on the outside.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lotts-Merbe-Ultrasonic-Galvanic-Ion-Massager-HOT-Face-Massager-Made-in-Korea-/181129610487

Thought it was interesting to see the model using the device over a face mask - hadn't thought of that before!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
CookieD wrote:
Here is a video on the Merbe I haven't seen. (it is part of an ebay listing) If you go to the 3:37 mark there are some neat experiments done with water and ink that show you how the ultrasound/galvanic work.

Havana I think they are both the same but I don't think anyone has found the actual specs on the Merbe. They do look exactly the same on the outside.

ebay[dot]com/itm/Lotts-Merbe-Ultrasonic-Galvanic-Ion-Massager-HOT-Face-Massager-Made-in-Korea-/181129610487

Thought it was interesting to see the model using the device over a face mask - hadn't thought of that before!

I was looking at that device on ebay. Anyone actually used it before? Are there any reviews?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

I had read about using it over a mask somewhere in my research. The rose water idea is good. Sometimes I just use bottle water in a spray bottle over the gel. I don't think it really matters as long as the gel stays moist.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
keliu I know you had a UP5...is this the same thing? Embarassed
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
keliu I know you had a UP5...is this the same thing? Embarassed

Yes it is (although I don't own this device). My UP5 died, the battery gave out - that's why I don't really like rechargable devices.

Regarding the gel - I bought this one from Truthinaging:

http://www.truthinaging.com/ultra-renew-gel-serum-with-5-ybf-control

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnSbVbjeq3A

Still a bit expensive for my liking - but I prefer gels that are also a treatment and don't have to be washed off.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks keliu.

I havent used my up5 very much. I found that in the lifting mode, it gave a great effect..but a few days later, if I didnt continue to use it, I looked awful..which scared me, rather. My skin looked saggy. I stopped altogether and my skin returned to normal.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
Thanks keliu.

I havent used my up5 very much. I found that in the lifting mode, it gave a great effect..but a few days later, if I didnt continue to use it, I looked awful..which scared me, rather. My skin looked saggy. I stopped altogether and my skin returned to normal.

I didn't see any lifting from it - no results at all really. I do think ultrasound can be useful for product penetration though.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
Night 4 with the Merbe, and the first night I didn't see any additional lifting of the marionette lines. But since I did for the last 3 nights, I am NOT complaining!

Tonight I did the following:
- Cleanse and Massage using just the Fyola gel that came with it.
- Applied Environ C-Quence 4 and then did the Nutrition, Lift and Wrinkle modes (just did wrinkle mode on the forehead) with the Fyola gel applied over it.
- Washed my face and then applied my Epionce products

The forehead wrinkles looked awesome after this...maybe this is a sign of what comes after longer term usage of the appropriate gels?

After doing lots of research, I am now doubting that the gel has to be polarized and that the fragmented HA gel over your favorite water based actives is the way to go. But we'll see what I end up with long term.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
BTW, they recommend that you use this at night. Why? Because I am beet red from all this extra circulation, lol. But it does diminish by morning.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
BTW, they recommend that you use this at night. Why? Because I am beet red from all this extra circulation, lol. But it does diminish by morning.

That's is interesting. I don't get any color. Of course tonight is the first night I did a longer session but no change in color.

I did want to mention that this is not a new gadget. It has been around awhile. It was first sold as the Fyola. That was bought by
Squoom and now there is the Merbe also. They all seem to be the same gadget. At least they look the same on the outside.

I would have bought the Squoom awhile ago but didn't like how much it cost. I really didn't like that after you spent so much, you still had to buy expensive gel that were not available in the US. When I saw the Merbe I decided to jump in.

I am going to be using water based serums under either a HA based gel or some of the microcurrent gels I already have for my treatments. I'll see how this works out for me. I like the idea of the Squoom gels but not the cost.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:

I am going to be using water based serums under either a HA based gel or some of the microcurrent gels I already have for my treatments. I'll see how this works out for me. I like the idea of the Squoom gels but not the cost.

Ditto! I am going to continue to do my microcurrent treatments 2x a week, and will skip the Merbe on those nights.

5% products discount

Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:56 am      Reply with quote
Wow. I've been looking at the Clarisonic Opal and then the Jenu device but now I'm reading this.

Here is some info on Jenu > JeNu is a low-intensity ultrasound that activates microspheres in our creams to help the key active ingredients more effectively penetrate the skin. It is those activated microspheres, not the ultrasound, that help create a delivery path for the key ingredients in our eye treatment (Hyaluronic Acid, Matrixyl Peptides, and Vitamin A) to more effectively penetrate the skin and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles while increasing hydration. The Clarisonic Opal uses “sonic” technology ultimately affecting and/or treating the skin’s surface with a tapping/vibrating mechanism.

There is a video on our website that shows exactly how the technology works. It is located here: http://www.jenu.com/index.php/why-jenu/how-it-works/

Which one to get? I'm not as knowledgeable as many of you here on ultrasound.

Which of these units do most think is the best? Has anyone looked at the Jenu? It offers a 60 day full return and with a coupon it's about $200!

Bethany I also checked out the refurbished unit - I wonder if that comes with gel?
HELP! Any kind of consensus on which is best?
Confused
Rapunzell
5% products discount

Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:01 am      Reply with quote
I also can't find Merbe on Amazon??

I also read somewhere that if the unit has different levels it may not be the best quality. That in reality with current technology any machine can only offer one level. Don't know - ?

For all your wiz's please take a look at the Jenu breakdown, looks like the strength is about 2 MHZ. It says 100KHz-2 MHz.

What do you guys think?

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2012/0271222.html
Rapunzell
5% products discount

Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:33 am      Reply with quote
One more about MHz. Truth In Aging says:

Now everyone wants to know whether Ultra Renew Sculpt can be used for the face. The answer is yes, but I wouldn’t advise it. The ultrasound is at 1Mhz. Therapeutic ultrasound frequency ranges from 1-3 MHz. The higher the frequency, the less effective the ultrasound is. Ergo, 1 is stronger than 3. The Ultra Renew and Ultra Renew Plus are in the 3mz range and the ultrasound penetrates less than 2 mm, which is perfect for the face. The stronger 1Mhz of the Ultra Renew Sculpt penetrates a little more deeply and is better for body. If used on the face, it is advised, therefore, to keep Sculpt on the lowest intensity. Also the larger size is great for body parts and arguably treats more of the face. But, by the same token, Sculpt doesn’t quite get into the nooks and crannies and isn’t as easy to direct accurately when treating the face - compared to the Ultra Renew or Ultra Renew Plus.

http://www.truthinaging.com/ultra-renew-sculpt
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:01 am      Reply with quote
Rapunzell, there has been some newer research that showed that 1mhz was actually better.

Also, the key thing that makes the Merbe better is that it is BOTH galvanic and ultrasound. Watch the video I posted above and you will see why that is important.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=azXkE1g9jq4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DazXkE1g9jq4

FYI that I used to have a 2mhz ultrasound only and sold it...it did not perform like this unit at all.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:33 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Rapunzell, there has been some newer research that showed that 1mhz was actually better.

Also, the key thing that makes the Merbe better is that it is BOTH galvanic and ultrasound. Watch the video I posted above and you will see why that is important.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=azXkE1g9jq4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DazXkE1g9jq4

FYI that I used to have a 2mhz ultrasound only and sold it...it did not perform like this unit at all.

This is the study provided by Dragon over at Skincareboard which compares 1 and 3 mhz.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC522144/

Dragon is of the opinion that because 3 mhz heats the skin more, 1 mhz is the preferred modality. But note that the study is not concerned with facial rejuvenation, it's concerned with muscle injuries.

I'm still confused about this because allot of information still states that 3 mhz should be used on the face, 1 mhz on the body. However, it's clear that the newer ultrasound devices on the market seem to be using 1 mhz. But I can't find any studies on why there has been this turn-around - in relation to facial rejuvenation that is.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:47 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

This is the study provided by Dragon over at Skincareboard which compares 1 and 3 mhz.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC522144/

Dragon is of the opinion that because 3 mhz heats the skin more, 1 mhz is the preferred modality. But note that the study is not concerned with facial rejuvenation, it's concerned with muscle injuries.

I'm still confused about this because allot of information still states that 3 mhz should be used on the face, 1 mhz on the body. However, it's clear that the newer ultrasound devices on the market seem to be using 1 mhz. But I can't find any studies on why there has been this turn-around - in relation to facial rejuvenation that is.

I know Dragon felt pretty strongly about this, so I decided to give it a try. Sqoom has also been selling since 2008 and some of the Fyola research was done in 2003 and 2004. I figured if people's faces were melting from 1mhz we would have heard something by now or at least seen some negative reviews online.

Sqoom says there is no such thing as overuse in the article below, but I may have to send them an email and ask about 1mhz vs 3mhz. I'll also ask about LMW HA and inflammation at the same time.

http://www.totallyliving.co.uk/beauty/2011/01/26/a-product-to-put-an-end-to-facelifts

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:54 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

I know Dragon felt pretty strongly about this, so I decided to give it a try. Sqoom has also been selling since 2008 and some of the Fyola research was done in 2003 and 2004. I figured if people's faces were melting from 1mhz we would have heard something by now or at least seen some negative reviews online.

Sqoom says there is no such thing as overuse in the article below, but I may have to send them an email and ask about 1mhz vs 3mhz. I'll also ask about LMW HA and inflammation at the same time.

http://www.totallyliving.co.uk/beauty/2011/01/26/a-product-to-put-an-end-to-facelifts

I agree that if these devices were melting people's faces, we would have heard about it by now. But that makes me wonder whether these newer devices are using the technology in a different way - they are very expensive. I purchased a 1 mhz ultrasound for treating muscle injuries for my father - it was under $50 I think. So I wonder how they would compare? I would love to see something from SQOOM explaining why they've gone with the 1 mhz.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:00 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

I agree that if these devices were melting people's faces, we would have heard about it by now. But that makes me wonder whether these newer devices are using the technology in a different way - they are very expensive. I purchased a 1 mhz ultrasound for treating muscle injuries for my father - it was under $50 I think. So I wonder how they would compare? I would love to see something from SQOOM explaining why they've gone with the 1 mhz.

I am also going to see if I can get any info from Dr Serene, and will keep everyone posted.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:04 am      Reply with quote
http://www.klinegroup.com/news/asian_european_beauty_devices_markets.asp

Sqoom is made by Lotts.

Quote:
......Yet Asian OEMs are already serving the global market through parts manufacturing or producing private-label products for other companies, such as South Korea's Lotts manufactures devices for the Schick Medical’s German SQOOM device.”......

Lotts makes Fyola & Merbe.

http://lotts.cafe24.com/eng/en_index.html

It seems to me that Fyola = Merbe.

The English website of Lotts lists Fyola only & Merbe is in her Korean website.

Thus, I am inclinded to believe that Fyola is for overseas market; whereas Merbe is for domestic.

There are 2 ultrasound + galvanic devices at a lower cost:

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/Item.aspx?goodscode=174201197&pos_shop_cd=EN&pos_class_cd=90000001&pos_class_kind=T&keyword_order=%C0%CC%BF%C2+%B8%B6%BB%E7%C1%F6

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/Item.aspx?goodscode=115842124&pos_shop_cd=EN&pos_class_cd=90000001&pos_class_kind=T&keyword_order=%C0%CC%BF%C2+%B8%B6%BB%E7%C1%F6

Both are of 1 mhz too.
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:16 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
......http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=azXkE1g9jq4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DazXkE1g9jq4......

At 7:47, the device hold by the lady seemed to Nu Skxx and she commented it was useless.

I believe that that device is of galvanic and that is why she couldn't measure the current Am I correct?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:27 am      Reply with quote
summer2004 wrote:
bethany wrote:
......http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=azXkE1g9jq4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DazXkE1g9jq4......

At 7:47, the device hold by the lady seemed to Nu Skxx and she commented it was useless.

I believe that that device is of galvanic and that is why she couldn't measure the current Am I correct?

My take was that she was saying that the device wasn't delivering enough current to be effective - regardless of whether it was galvanic or not.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:36 am      Reply with quote
For those who are interested in ultrasound (me 2), here is the info from Dr. Huber & Mr. Yeung of Bellaire:

"......It is not the Mhz that is the issue, but the watts (or joules) per square centimeter AND the technique. The mhz only describes the depth of penetration, a 3 mhz for example barely penetrates the stratum corneum, and a 1 mhz will reach into and perhaps beyond the dermis......"

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=404905

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=405022
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:53 am      Reply with quote
summer2004 wrote:
http://www.klinegroup.com/news/asian_european_beauty_devices_markets.asp

Sqoom is made by Lotts.

Quote:
......Yet Asian OEMs are already serving the global market through parts manufacturing or producing private-label products for other companies, such as South Korea's Lotts manufactures devices for the Schick Medical’s German SQOOM device.”......

Lotts makes Fyola & Merbe.

http://lotts.cafe24.com/eng/en_index.html

It seems to me that Fyola = Merbe.

The English website of Lotts lists Fyola only & Merbe is in her Korean website.

Thus, I am inclinded to believe that Fyola is for overseas market; whereas Merbe is for domestic.

There are 2 ultrasound + galvanic devices at a lower cost:

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/Item.aspx?goodscode=174201197&pos_shop_cd=EN&pos_class_cd=90000001&pos_class_kind=T&keyword_order=%C0%CC%BF%C2+%B8%B6%BB%E7%C1%F6

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/Item.aspx?goodscode=115842124&pos_shop_cd=EN&pos_class_cd=90000001&pos_class_kind=T&keyword_order=%C0%CC%BF%C2+%B8%B6%BB%E7%C1%F6

Both are of 1 mhz too.

Very interesting...that link is exactly what I have been looking for in order to connect the Fyola and Merbe! Sqoom did say that there are configs specific to their unit, but as I recall that was limited to the battery and possibly a titanium head. For the price difference, I am happy with what I have for now!

Btw, my Merbe has a Korean plug and all the documentation is in Korean, so it is not purely domestic.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |