Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Anything work for nail ridges or brittle nails?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
naia2006
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
You all are a wealth of info! Any recs for getting my nails stronger and healthier? Oddly enough I only have one nail with ridges, thing it might have gotten damaged when I tried gel nails, but the other nails have always been weak....I would love some suggestions, internal or topical. TIA!
MisterLurk
5% products discount

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
What seemed to work for me was taking Fish Oil and Flax seed.
I was taking them for skin but once I started taking them, I noticed that my nails, which had always been brittle and thin, were a lot shinier, thicker, and less breakable.
Holmes
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:57 am      Reply with quote
When I was at school I developed a line of really deep ridges that went from the base of the thumb nail to the tip. I've no idea what caused them.
The school nurse told me to apply zinc ointment every day to the nail. I did this making sure I covered the whole nail, especially the base and sides.
As the nail grew out, so did the ridges. Not an overnight cure, but a permanent one.
tessera
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:25 am      Reply with quote
I have vertical ridges on my nails that have worsened with age, to the point where each of my ring finger nails would split down a ridge from the tip past where the nail attaches to the nail bed. I fixed the problem with DermaNail, a topical solution that is applied morning and night, one drop per nail. (I believe it can be applied over nail polish, as long as it can get under the cuticle down at the base of the nail.) I still have ridges, but the nails are strong and don't split. I buy the DermaNail through amazon.

Now I'm going to try the zinc ointment recommendation and see if that helps the ridges. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:51 am      Reply with quote
Worth checking thyroid levels if nails are in poor state despite good nutrition.
Kgeaux
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
I've had what I have called soft nails all my life. I saw improvement when I began taking multi-vitamins, even more improvement when I added a calcium-magnesium supplement. Those two things combined helped get my nails longer than my nail beds, but they would still chip and then peel across the entire nail. Better, but I wanted pretty nails!

I have finally found an answer. I know this will not sit well with all of you, but it has absolutely been "the" answer for me.

I started drinking a smoothie every morning to which I added FOOD GRADE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH. I initially tried this because my cholesterol levels were bad and getting worse, and FGDE did an amazing job of bringing my cholesterol numbers into "good" territory.

Unexpected additional benefits are that my nails are now hard, they are beautiful! No problems growing them at all.....and my HAIR is also strong and healthy, growing at an amazing rate.

My nails grew so much, and were so beautiful that I finally began to believe they were worth protecting.....so I do now wear gloves when submersing my hands into water. So that should be factored in to the equation, too.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all so much. I do take a lot of oils, and normal thyroid, so I'll be sure to try the other recs and see what works. So odd I don't have them on any nails except one, but the one nail looks bad enough I'll try anything.

You all are great!
7Destiny
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
I read just this week that ridged nails can be a sign of B 12 deficiency. The article said we don't assimilate B12 as well from our stomachs after age 40 and recommended using a spray, under the tongue form. Also to take it away from coffee, tea or alcohol. I picked up a spray for under $10 from my local health food store. Look for methylcolbamin form. Also, Super Collagen is great for nails, and also strengthens bones.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
Many people have had success with hair, skin, and nails (HSN) vitamins.

Andrew Lessman's HSN vitamins have gotten a lot of praise on several forums.

Here's what people are saying about it:
www.google.com/search?q=lessman+hair+OR+skin+OR+nails+vitamins

Here's another vitamin that I think could be good. This a new vitamin:

http://www.drugstore.com/fembody-nutrition-hair-nails-and-skin-beauty-activator-tablets/qxp385790

Also, take a closer look at your medications. I believe that some medications can affect nails.
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:34 am      Reply with quote
Kgeaux wrote:

I have finally found an answer. I know this will not sit well with all of you, but it has absolutely been "the" answer for me.

I started drinking a smoothie every morning to which I added FOOD GRADE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH.

Hey, sits fine with me! I love the stuff, I use it on my dogs and under my furniture and carpets. Completely non-toxic unless you breathe it.

Thanks for the info - maybe I'll give this a try in my smoothies. Does it make your smoothie gritty?

Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |