Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Need help on brittle nails....
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:40 am      Reply with quote
Could anyone share some tips on good strong nails?

I eat very healthy but still have a problem with brittle nails. I think the reason is that I swim for long period of time (2-3hours lap swimming) and it is affecting my nails.
I put some protective coats on these nails, but not enough to protect.

What do you do to strengthen your nails?
Do I have to buy a particular vitamin supplements to strengthen nails? Or do I have to buy a product for nail nourishment?

I admired women with beautiful long strong nails... Any recommendation?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Herb horsetail is very good for nails, but likewise I've been taking diatomaceous earth recently after reading about it on EDS and thats making my nails not only stronger but they grow faster (and it helps with hair too as DE is a silica type product that your body needs for both hair and nails).

How old are you? You say that you eat healthy and think that is swimming but it may be either a reaction your nails is havign with the water or something else. Especially as you're asking a lot of different questions sometimes it can be something like the thyroid being under par or something (hair and nails etc).

There are products out there for nail nourishment
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:48 am      Reply with quote
Believe me, I am not young at all:) I don't have problem with health issues at all. I am a very fit person. And I swim 10-14 hours each week... I think the chlorinated water is affecting my nails....

TheresaMary wrote:
Herb horsetail is very good for nails, but likewise I've been taking diatomaceous earth recently after reading about it on EDS and thats making my nails not only stronger but they grow faster (and it helps with hair too as DE is a silica type product that your body needs for both hair and nails).

How old are you? You say that you eat healthy and think that is swimming but it may be either a reaction your nails is havign with the water or something else. Especially as you're asking a lot of different questions sometimes it can be something like the thyroid being under par or something (hair and nails etc).

There are products out there for nail nourishment
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:04 am      Reply with quote
So how old are you? Trust me there's plenty of every age on EDS, and I'm in my 60's.

Hands don't just get old for no reason. Kassy is my role model here - her hands don't even look like that of a 20 year old - they're smooth and line free and everything.

The water is probably effecting your nails, but it could be other things too - as you're asking about hair too. Thats the reason I asked, because sometimes even if a person eats very well - it doesn't mean their body isn't overworked etc.
jade-1234 wrote:
Believe me, I am not young at all:) I don't have problem with health issues at all. I am a very fit person. And I swim 10-14 hours each week... I think the chlorinated water is affecting my nails....
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:35 am      Reply with quote
I'd rather not say (thank you very much Smile) LOL....

TheresaMary wrote:
So how old are you? Trust me there's plenty of every age on EDS, and I'm in my 60's.

Hands don't just get old for no reason. Kassy is my role model here - her hands don't even look like that of a 20 year old - they're smooth and line free and everything.

The water is probably effecting your nails, but it could be other things too - as you're asking about hair too. Thats the reason I asked, because sometimes even if a person eats very well - it doesn't mean their body isn't overworked etc.
jade-1234 wrote:
7Destiny
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
Solar Oil before and after swimming might help,and its inexpensive to try. If you want a supplement, I take Neocell Super Collagen for nails...also hair,skin and joints.
terraaus
5% products discount

Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hair Skin and Nails vitamins (GNC), biotin, Neocell Collagen and MSM.
HippoMe
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
Chlorinated water affects my nails and the joints in my hands. I have been watering the garden quite a bit lately and have developed intense finger joint pain and my nails have started peeling. The past three days I have been wearing disposable latex gloves in the garden and the difference is amazing, hands are less sore.

I remember in my youth Very Happy when I did a lot of swimming that my joints got sore, I think I now know why - chlorine, as I did not suffer the same aches and pains when swimming in rivers and lakes.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:53 am      Reply with quote
Oh ok, well you are going to find that people want to help you but without knowing what age you are or what issues your experiencing they won't be able to, because each age has particular issues, and so without knowing that info people are limited in what they can share with you. Still hopefully someone can give you tips anyhow.
jade-1234 wrote:
I'd rather not say (thank you very much Smile) LOL....
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:29 am      Reply with quote
There is a GNC in Toronto near my other house. I can go there and find this product. Thanks for your tip.

terraaus wrote:
Hair Skin and Nails vitamins (GNC), biotin, Neocell Collagen and MSM.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:40 am      Reply with quote
See I am not the only one! (except I don't really have joint problems Smile)... I find chlorinated water really makes my nails brittle. After lap swimming for 2-3 hours, I find my nails are very soft and brittle, therefore, I use a special cream on my hands and nails and it is JEUNESSE Natural Solution and the scent is Pink Flower with multi-vitamins and special oils for the nails in particular.

Yes, I wear 2 latex gloves and 1 cotton glove at the same time even when I am gardening. I find it very relaxing taking care of the flowers Smile
I will never do any gardening without those gloves! Smile

Also, when I wash my car, I use 2 latex gloves too, and if water penetrates my hands, I change it again for another 2 latex gloves.

I think anything that we do, we must protect our hands with any type of gloves. It is a MUST to have beautiful hands.... I would love to see Kassy's hands... Where is the thread showing her hands???? Please send me the link. Thanks Smile

HippoMe wrote:
Chlorinated water affects my nails and the joints in my hands. I have been watering the garden quite a bit lately and have developed intense finger joint pain and my nails have started peeling. The past three days I have been wearing disposable latex gloves in the garden and the difference is amazing, hands are less sore.

I remember in my youth Very Happy when I did a lot of swimming that my joints got sore, I think I now know why - chlorine, as I did not suffer the same aches and pains when swimming in rivers and lakes.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:48 am      Reply with quote
Where can I get SOLAR oil? What is it basically?
Regarding supplement, where can I buy Neocell Super Collagen for nails, hair, skin and joints.

Do you need a prescription to get this?
Because I have to see my doctor for my annual checkup next week. I only see my doctor once every year (no in-between) just for annual checkup, just to make sure that I am still in good health and don't have any problems with my overall health.... The only thing that she advises me every year is to limit my coffee to 1 instead of 2 or 3 strong ones... Don't know why.

7Destiny wrote:
Solar Oil before and after swimming might help,and its inexpensive to try. If you want a supplement, I take Neocell Super Collagen for nails...also hair,skin and joints.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:38 am      Reply with quote
I don’t think the photos are up any more, but there are many threads, if you search you may be lucky!
jade-1234 wrote:
I think anything that we do, we must protect our hands with any type of gloves. It is a MUST to have beautiful hands.... I would love to see Kassy's hands... Where is the thread showing her hands???? Please send me the link. Thanks Smile
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:38 am      Reply with quote
Hello TheresaMary Smile

I read about Folligen nail cream somewhere, does it really work to strengthen nails?

Any feedback on this?
Please share your experience. Thanks Smile

TheresaMary wrote:
I don’t think the photos are up any more, but there are many threads, if you search you may be lucky!
jade-1234 wrote:
7Destiny
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:24 am      Reply with quote
Jade 1234, you can get NeoCell Super Collagen on amazon or iherb, among other sites. Its inexpensive. No prescription needed!
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:29 am      Reply with quote
Hello 7Destiny Smile
I will check it out. Is it working for you?
What is your feedback on NeoCell Super Collagen? Did it help you? How long have you been using it?

7Destiny wrote:
Jade 1234, you can get NeoCell Super Collagen on amazon or iherb, among other sites. Its inexpensive. No prescription needed!
7Destiny
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
Jade 1234, I have been using it about 3 1/2 years. Oprah had a show featuring it, and the rave for collagen in Asia (its in every 7-11 type corner store!) A bunch of us decided to give it a try. We did notice beauty benefits..hair skin and nails were more beautiful with NeoCell Collagen. But what really sold me was no more joint pain. Since my early 20's I have had my back "go out" a couple of times a year, ever since I fell off a horse. But once I started collagen that never happened again. Something valuable is happening. I've read it makes bones strong but I haven't had mine checked.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:02 am      Reply with quote
chlorinated water for such a long period every week.. Crying or Very sad

difficult to compensate for all that chemical input, indeed.

I would look into what minerals etc that chlorine may be leaching from your system. if your nails are suffering.. this could likely be an indication of a wider, more extensive issue it might be beneficial to know about.

not trying to be alarmist! just saying that it might be wise to get knowledgable about side effects of regular chlorine exposure to such a high degree.

good luck.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:51 am      Reply with quote
The doctor knows that swimming is my sport but did not say anything when I had my annual checkup last July/2012...... I will try other suggestions that you all made on this thread and check with my doctor if it is alright to take them. Thanks Smile

catski wrote:
chlorinated water for such a long period every week.. Crying or Very sad

difficult to compensate for all that chemical input, indeed.

I would look into what minerals etc that chlorine may be leaching from your system. if your nails are suffering.. this could likely be an indication of a wider, more extensive issue it might be beneficial to know about.

not trying to be alarmist! just saying that it might be wise to get knowledgable about side effects of regular chlorine exposure to such a high degree.

good luck.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
jade-1234 while you wait to find out about the suggestions given or to buy them, if you have extra virgin olive oil, you should give it a try. Massage it into your nails whenever you think of it. Firbolgbred mentioned it in another thread as being good for nails and I used it on my brittle, peeling nails and it worked like magic. Not only did it strengthen my nails but also made my normally translucent nails very white.

Diet is important so make sure you're eating well or vitamins. When it comes to your body, nails and hair are the last things to be served with nutrients. Your body takes care of organs first and if there's enough to share, then your nails and hair get invited to the party. Which is why for many, their nails and hair may not do so well w/o a supplement.

Anyway, you can see how well EVOO worked for me in the discussion below which is where I learned about it being good for nails:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=43329
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:42 am      Reply with quote
Nonie aka AD: Thanks for your suggestion. I have Extra Virgin olive oil in my kitchen. I use it daily on food, so I will try your suggestion. Yes, I do eat properly with a balanced diet and take 1 Centrum multi-vitamin daily. And I don't take any medication of any sorts.

Nonie aka AD wrote:
jade-1234 while you wait to find out about the suggestions given or to buy them, if you have extra virgin olive oil, you should give it a try. Massage it into your nails whenever you think of it. Firbolgbred mentioned it in another thread as being good for nails and I used it on my brittle, peeling nails and it worked like magic. Not only did it strengthen my nails but also made my normally translucent nails very white.

Diet is important so make sure you're eating well or vitamins. When it comes to your body, nails and hair are the last things to be served with nutrients. Your body takes care of organs first and if there's enough to share, then your nails and hair get invited to the party. Which is why for many, their nails and hair may not do so well w/o a supplement.

Anyway, you can see how well EVOO worked for me in the discussion below which is where I learned about it being good for nails:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=43329
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:02 am      Reply with quote
A few years ago, Puritan's Pride had a wonderful protein that you applied to nails called CLAWS.

At the time they sold it, you could buy one and get two free or buy two and get three free. I used to buy loads and give them out as gifts to friends. I wish I'd known they would discontinue it as I'd either have not been as generous Bad Grin or I would've taken advantage of the deal they offered and stocked up. (I've even written to PP to let them know how much their product is missed and how much we'd like it back but it was all in vain.)

Anyway, I thought I'd just do a search for it one more time just in case someone is still hoarding a few and can sell them to me. Instead I found they have a supplement by the same name (http://www.puritan.com/buy/products/704-puritans-pride-claws-super-nails-60-caplets-hair-skin-nails.html). Thought I'd mention it in case it is as good as their topical product used to be.

I just realized that I did indeed mention CLAWS in the link I posted before.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Nonie aka ADA Smile It looks like it is a vitamin supplement for nails. I'm taking Centrum multi-vitamin daily but not sure if this is ok to take with 1 multi-vitamin. Maybe I need to consult my doctor again? Smile

Nonie aka AD wrote:
A few years ago, Puritan's Pride had a wonderful protein that you applied to nails called CLAWS.

At the time they sold it, you could buy one and get two free or buy two and get three free. I used to buy loads and give them out as gifts to friends. I wish I'd known they would discontinue it as I'd either have not been as generous Bad Grin or I would've taken advantage of the deal they offered and stocked up. (I've even written to PP to let them know how much their product is missed and how much we'd like it back but it was all in vain.)

Anyway, I thought I'd just do a search for it one more time just in case someone is still hoarding a few and can sell them to me. Instead I found they have a supplement by the same name (http://www.puritan.com/buy/products/704-puritans-pride-claws-super-nails-60-caplets-hair-skin-nails.html). Thought I'd mention it in case it is as good as their topical product used to be.

I just realized that I did indeed mention CLAWS in the link I posted before.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
jade-1234 wrote:
Hello Nonie aka ADA Smile It looks like it is a vitamin supplement for nails. I'm taking Centrum multi-vitamin daily but not sure if this is ok to take with 1 multi-vitamin. Maybe I need to consult my doctor again? Smile

Yes, it is a multi for nails, jade-1234. You have to be careful about combining vitamin/mineral complexes because it's easy to OD on fat-soluble vitamins. So yes, asking your doctor first is a good idea. Maybe you can alternate, taking one on one day and the other the other day, or splitting the dosage in half and taking one in the AM and one in the PM. But ask your doc if that's a good idea first.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
Everyone already gave great advise, but here's something else that helped my nails.

I used to be in a profession that involved lots of water and heat (don't ask) and my nails would CONSTANTLY break and peel. Nobody in my family has long nails either, so I think I'm genetically disposed towards having dainty nails anyway.

Anyhow, someone suggested that I add lecithin to my cuticle cream. I tried it, and it did the trick! Just a percentage or 2 is enough. I honestly don't know what it does, because I'm certain the molecules can't penetrate the nail bed, but it makes nails harder without also making them more brittle. If you want to go the DIY route, it might be worth a shot.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:49 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |