Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Need help on brittle nails....
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Nonie aka AD Smile Yes, will definitely check with a doctor before I take another vitamin because too much vitamin is not good. If it is ok with my doctor, then, I will buy it to complement my Centrum multi-vitamin. Thanks Smile

Hello Chlorophyll Smile I've never heard of this but will try Lecithin with my cuticle cream... Thanks Smile
shamus
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:50 am      Reply with quote
Sorry, I'm very late to this discussion but I just HAD to add my 2 cents. In the past year or longer, my once beautiful nails developed these horrible ridges....so deep, they look discoloured on my nail. I tried everything out there.....TIPS, Trind, Prostrong, nailtek, Flexinail, etc. I've had the last 4 days off so I took off my camouflaging nail polish and have been dousing them with the nail serum by Isomers. I found a bottle that I had purchased a while ago but never used. It's oily but I've been putting it on my nails 3 or 4 times a day and rubbing it in. And, in the last 4 days, the ridges in my nails have gone from....they're catching on anything the top of my nails touch to noticeably.....and I mean....NOTICEABLY smoother!!!!! I even got a super bright LED light and a magnifying glass and looked at them and they are much much smoother and the tips are whiter!!!!!! I don't work for Isomers....I used to be a fan but had moved on from them. And I work in a hospital so my hands are in water all darned day long. So, I'm sharing what's happened in the last 4 days. I'll keep you posted but let's put it this way....I'm not going to put on camouflaging nail polish for work tomorrow....they are looking that nicer! Blessings all! Oh yeah...I'll be 60 in March!
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
jade-1234 wrote:
Where can I get SOLAR oil? What is it basically?
Regarding supplement, where can I buy Neocell Super Collagen for nails, hair, skin and joints.

Do you need a prescription to get this?
Because I have to see my doctor for my annual checkup next week. I only see my doctor once every year (no in-between) just for annual checkup, just to make sure that I am still in good health and don't have any problems with my overall health.... The only thing that she advises me every year is to limit my coffee to 1 instead of 2 or 3 strong ones... Don't know why.

7Destiny wrote:
Solar Oil before and after swimming might help,and its inexpensive to try. If you want a supplement, I take Neocell Super Collagen for nails...also hair,skin and joints.

Solar oil is a blend of oils. Many places you can buy it or just use oil at home.

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=8131&categoryId=cat80070

I personally like thicker cream/balms over oil. I find even cheap Aquaphor (vaseline consistancy) works well.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
Chlorophyll wrote:
Everyone already gave great advise, but here's something else that helped my nails.

I used to be in a profession that involved lots of water and heat (don't ask) and my nails would CONSTANTLY break and peel. Nobody in my family has long nails either, so I think I'm genetically disposed towards having dainty nails anyway.

Anyhow, someone suggested that I add lecithin to my cuticle cream. I tried it, and it did the trick! Just a percentage or 2 is enough. I honestly don't know what it does, because I'm certain the molecules can't penetrate the nail bed, but it makes nails harder without also making them more brittle. If you want to go the DIY route, it might be worth a shot.

For those who add lecithin to cuticle cream; any suggestions on where to purchase? I am in Ontario, Canada.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, Autumn1995, I'd like to know too as I too am in Ontario!
flavapor

Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
My hands are in and out of water all day too, but that never bothered them, however, I have noticed that when I use a "frosted" nail polish it tends to thin my nails and make them prone to splitting and breakage.

I was discussing this with my mom and daughter, and they took note of it and over the course of a few months came to agree that the only time they had an issue with their nails was when wearing frosted polish. We now dont use it and havent for a few years and none of us have the problem anymore.

I dont know whats in the frosted polish thats not in regular polish but it makes a difference for us, and maybe many people just havent figured that out, especially if they normally wear frosted all the time. Most of them are prettier than regular nail polish.
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:00 am      Reply with quote
take biotin. it helps.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 am      Reply with quote
I actually used to use EVOO all the time on my nails, and then saw a famous beautician to the celebs talking about nail care and she said that this was one of those myths that had become popular but the oil was bad because it actually caused the nail to be soft not hard and strong – and it makes sense if you think the nail is just protein and adding oil to it gets absorbed. Of course it depends how much you use, but I rarely do it nowadays and my nails are always something people comment on. What I did a little while back was purchase some Megatek and read on a UK forum that some women were using it on horses and found that their nails improved and at first they didn’t link it to that. Anyhow after a while they realised it was the only thing they were doing different than before, and so every night before bed I apply that to my nails and its made a huge difference. My nails are so much stronger now than they ever were. The other big no no this woman reckoned was buffing your nails. She said most people overbuff their nails and this causes problems to nail health generally so is to be avoided! Interesting I thought.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:58 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
I actually used to use EVOO all the time on my nails, and then saw a famous beautician to the celebs talking about nail care and she said that this was one of those myths that had become popular but the oil was bad because it actually caused the nail to be soft not hard and strong – and it makes sense if you think the nail is just protein and adding oil to it gets absorbed. Of course it depends how much you use, but I rarely do it nowadays and my nails are always something people comment on. What I did a little while back was purchase some Megatek and read on a UK forum that some women were using it on horses and found that their nails improved and at first they didn’t link it to that. Anyhow after a while they realised it was the only thing they were doing different than before, and so every night before bed I apply that to my nails and its made a huge difference. My nails are so much stronger now than they ever were. The other big no no this woman reckoned was buffing your nails. She said most people overbuff their nails and this causes problems to nail health generally so is to be avoided! Interesting I thought.

I beg to disagree with that beautician. One thing that causes nails to break is dryness so putting oil on them is never a bad thing. In fact, I know a few women with nails that would make anyone green and in between nail polishes, they soak their nails in warm olive oil. What's more, when I did it, my nails didn't get soft. My nails were previously so thin and see through. But when I started using EVOO, my nails became thicker and stronger and whiter.

I dunno, I side-eye professionals who spew stuff that is in contrast to what many have witnessed and my logic. Methinks it's their way of staying in business, making you not use stuff that is cheap and easily acquired so you'd invest in products that cost money and keep them in business...or their services.
shamus
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
wahoo, thanks for the tip on the megatek, TheresaMary. I ordered some from ebay....I surfed some forums and some people did mention it helped their nails tremendously! Blessings
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:06 am      Reply with quote
Well from the beautician she did say that most women don’t actually have issues with dry nails, but if someone had dry nails then of course an oil would be appropriate. Her point though was that applying an oil to nails, which are very absorbant like sponges, oils can weaken the nail itself. She even had suggestions that when it came to cuticle removals, that soaking nails in oil actually weakens the nail bed. She actually had some good suggestions, but I don’t think she was bs’ing but sharing what worked in her experience, and her client list is renound around the world and she has got some sort of science degree too. She was a major fan of diets and supplements, and using natural remedies. For example with nails she said that by far the best nail whitener was lemon juice, which was also good at removing the cuticles, and because it was an acid was more beneficial to the nail because it couldn’t strip the nail of oil, but would remove dead cells and actually encourage regrowth. Each to their own I suppose, but I do think she was on to something. For many years I had done EVOO as a nail treatment, as my mother had done it, and her mother before her etc, and so it seemed alien to me not to do it, but after I did it for a week and saw the difference myself I would never go back.

Also at MindBodySpirit a few years ago, Eva Fraser was completely against anything being used on the hands except soap and caster sugar, or just plain old Vaseline, and said that she didn’t like anything on the nails except an ocassional polish and her hands are to die for!
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
I would disagree with the beautician who advises not to use oil on nails.

My cuticles are very dry. I apply heavy creams, oils, balms, Aquaphor, etc. on a regular basis just to keep the dryness away. My nails are actually hard but can be brittle. For me, oil works well.

If someone has truly soft nails; maybe try a nail hardening polish such as OPI Nail Envy or Nailtek products. I would continue to condition the cuticles.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:57 am      Reply with quote
What she is saying that most people who apply oils to their nails are doing so for wrong reasons. I know she has some professional qualification behind her, so this isn’t an old wives tail she is talking here, but a helpful suggestion. As I said previously if someone had dry nails, then oils can be appropriate but 95% of women do not have dry nails in her experience.

Actually I’ve just seen a friend who also saw the same show, and she said that this woman made a point saying that there was little if any evidence proving that EVOO applied to the nail had any proof behind it, and that it was based on old wives tales. That unless nails were extremely dry then applying oils to them (which would be absorbed) actually weakened the nail by some 30%. Now granted 30% doesn’t sound a lot, but someone who has brittle nails and is applying oil to them might be weakening their nails.

Also my friend reminded me, she wasn’t just a beautician, but a qualified doctor of some sort become beauty therapist/dietician. So she’s got a few bells on her belt!
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:24 am      Reply with quote
Sorry for the late reply, lol. Lecithin in Canada. Hmm, I wonder. Laughing

I imagine you could get different varieties from health food stores there. Or try SEA's.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:29 am      Reply with quote
I'm sorry but it's also professionals who tell people that face exercises are bad and make you age faster, so just because someone is a professional doesn't mean they know it all. Plus considering that nails don't have sebaceous glands, exactly how would nails avoid being dry? You'd have to be moisturizing your hands to keep them from being dry. Lotions have oils in them and as many of us who now use oils know, water-based lotions can be very drying--sorta means you need to keep using them. So, I don't see how oil would be bad for nails. I'd love to see studies they've done to prove to prove this, otherwise, meh, I will continue to use real life experiences and evidence as proof of what the truth is. And just as someone was kind enough to clue me in on the miracle of EVOO, I will pass forward the useful info to anyone who will listen.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
While I still use EVOO daily on my nail tips when nails are polished or over entire nails in-between polishing my nails, I would like to tell you about a product that has made a huge difference to my nails in strength and length. (BTW, because I'm too impatient to sit and soak nails in EVOO as many nail fanatics will tell you one should do, I simply massage it into bare nails as often as I think of it, or I put a drop into each of the "fingers" of my disposable rubber gloves so that as I do dishes or chores, my nails get a good soaking without me having to sit put with hands in a bowl feeling trapped.)

OK, so what is this wonderful product? It's called Quimica Alemana Nail Hardener and I usually get it from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Quimica-Alemana-Nail-Hardener-0-47/dp/B00126IXLO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372726803&sr=8-1&keywords=quimica) but you can get it from the US distributor, I understand, by giving them a call (http://savoirvivrecosmetics.com/).

To show you the kind of results I've gotten with this product, here is an image of my nails after I cut them on April 25, 2013:

And on June 28, 2013 my nails looked like this:

I do want to mention though that this product is very strong and if you have thin nails, it may not be the product for you because it will make your nailbeds feel painfully tender--kinda like how post-acrylic nailbeds feel. You will also experience discomfort if you apply too thick a coat or if you let it get on your cuticles. Directions say that initially you are to use it just on the top half of your nails (toward tips) till your nails get hard, then you are to apply on the whole nail. In any case, application is done once a week and very thinly. I use it as base coat and I find the product helps my polish last long without any chipping or peeling so that I don't have to redo my polish until the week is over.

If your nails are thin, as mine used to be before regular use of EVOO throughout the day thickened them, there are other products that may work for you. The blog at the following link gives a lot of good information on nail strengtheners and may help you make a wise decision on which one to try. Read all six categories (links are provided at the end of each article that take you to the next category):
http://loodieloodieloodie.blogspot.com/2010/11/nail-hardeners-1-of-7.html
tessera
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
I'll throw in my two cents. Sometime in my 50's (I'm currently 56 in a couple of weeks) my nails started developing deep vertical ridges and splitting down to the quick along the deepest ridges. The information I've been able to find indicates it is due to age-related dehydration and thinning of the nail, so that the grooves of the nail bed are appearing in the nail itself. To stop the splitting, I use Summers Lab DermaNail from Amazon. It's not cheap, but one bottle lasts for months. It is a watery solution that must be applied to the base of the nail at the cuticle(just dripped on) morning and night. I guess it gets incorporated into the nail itself; however it works, it's the only thing I've found that stops my nails from splitting. They still have ridges, but I can buff them down without having the nails peel or break. I hope this is useful to someone.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:56 am      Reply with quote
Great advice!

Ditto that about the Collagen supplements. I take with C daily.
Protein + Greens drinks.
Wear gloves.
Keep a thick moisturizer on your hands.
Wear sunscreen!

5% products discount

Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:52 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the great tips and product recommendations! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Have you heard of "HEROME Nail Hardener"? It's tried and tested. Give it a go?
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
I believe Silica as a supplement is know to improve hair, skin and nail. And make sure you include zinc in your diet.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:52 am      Reply with quote
Silica, biotin and MSM are all known to help both skin and hair grow faster (and stronger).
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |