Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
The FDA Crackdown on Lancome & others
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe this means that skin care companies will be begin to be held more accountable.

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/2012/ucm318809.htm
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
Very interesting. I foresee lots of marketing changes in the future.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
They were claiming pretty remarkable things, I am not surprised the FDA is making them take those parts out.

5% products discount

Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
The people of Lancome must have forgot to send their monthly tribute/ payoff cheque to the FDA.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know any of the products mentioned. The product may do everything the advertising says but in the end the FDA requires the verbage to be in line with the 'cosmetic' requirement guidelines. In this case Lancome by their claim(s) is/are putting their product results in a 'drug' category. Changes everything.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
Re: FDA Warning Letter:
"The claims on your web site indicate that these products are intended to affect the structure or any function of the human body, rendering them drugs under the Act.
The marketing of these products with these claims evidencing these intended uses violates the Act."

BINGO!
Statement to be saved for posterity and brought to the attention of other beauty-product manufacturers.
Aren't there so many other new topical skin products that make similar claims to 'affect the structure' of the human body (skin)?!
Curious whether any other manufacturers received similar warnings...
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
I so agree kath91

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:17 am      Reply with quote
Here is my post from the cytokines thread on the same subject:
Quote:

What does everyone make of this? Apparently, L'Oreal has been sent a "warning" letter from the FDA stating that they are claiming their products work like drugs because "they imply the products are "intended to affect the structure or any function of the human body, rendering them drugs under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act." And has been shown to improve the condition around the stem cells and stimulate cell regeneration to reconstruct skin to a denser quality."

Read full article here:
http://cosmetics.supplysideinsights.com/articles/2012/09/sending-out-a-sos-fda-s-warning-letter-to-lancome.aspx

Aren't all of the cytokine products claiming to also "stimulate cell regeneration to reconstruct skin to a denser quality"? Does this also make them drugs?
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=46226&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=75

As I say above, it would seem to me that all of the stem cell and EGF products which claim to stimulate cell regeneration would be in the same boat as Lancome.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:24 am      Reply with quote
Actually, what I'm wondering is - if Lancome simply changes its marketing spiel and leaves out any claims of cell regeneration - will that make the FDA happy? Or will they be obliged to change the formula of their products? It seems to me that the FDA is primarily concerned with incorrect labeling and not with incorrect product usage!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:31 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Actually, what I'm wondering is - if Lancome simply changes its marketing spiel and leaves out any claims of cell regeneration - will that make the FDA happy? Or will they be obliged to change the formula of their products? It seems to me that the FDA is primarily concerned with incorrect labeling and not with incorrect product usage!

I think your right. The FDA just wants them to remove some of their marketing claims, not remove the product.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:52 am      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
Keliu wrote:

I think your right. The FDA just wants them to remove some of their marketing claims, not remove the product.

That is correct. Some claims will be removed completely and some will be modified.

L'Oreal/Lancome is obviously a target because L'O is the largest beauty company in the world. I have no doubt that other companies will be paying close attention, and making changes themselves. However,many companies will still push the envelope until they are forced to change.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:58 am      Reply with quote
If they can't make outrageous claims in advertisements, the pressure on the blogs and forums is going to increase like crazy (thinking of dr J suggesting restauration of facial fat and cheek fat pads, cure of rosacea etc. and getting away with it).
Cosmetics is about emotion. You don't buy a cream, you buy a dream. Even if your rational mind tells you there's no way the wrinkles that are there are actually going to disappear, part of you wants to believe you will wake up one morning to find your old self in the mirror again. Advertising is, I think, about lulling the rational side with pseudo-scientific b.s., so that your emotional side can get away with spending so much on yet another illusion.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
If they can't make outrageous claims in advertisements, the pressure on the blogs and forums is going to increase like crazy

These companies will still make outrageous claims. The FDA only steps in once in a blue moon and even when they do the company has already run their TV,print and radio ads. So the message has already been heard and that will be what is remembered in the consumers mind.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:

Cosmetics is about emotion. You don't buy a cream, you buy a dream. Even if your rational mind tells you there's no way the wrinkles that are there are actually going to disappear, part of you wants to believe you will wake up one morning to find your old self in the mirror again. Advertising is, I think, about lulling the rational side with pseudo-scientific b.s., so that your emotional side can get away with spending so much on yet another illusion.

That's the most perfect summation of the skincare industry that I've ever read!!! Very Happy

I still think it's ironic that the FDA worry more about labelling than efficacy - just goes to show how little control there is of cosmetics. If these products were classified as drugs, the labelling would have to be correct - but the products would also have to work.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know if the products would have to work, I think they would just reach the dermis. They could penetrate and then do nothing.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
I'm glad to see that the FDA is doing this, although I feel that, in the final analysis, it's only a drop in the bucket.

I hope that more women can take the initiative to learn about the science of beauty/skin care and to learn how to read ingredients. Until then, companies will continue to make dubious claims, and women will continue purchasing ineffective products.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
LauraLizzie wrote:
I don't know if the products would have to work, I think they would just reach the dermis. They could penetrate and then do nothing.

All substances which are classified as drugs are required by law to do what they claim. If you take medication for high blood pressure - you expect it to lower your blood pressure.

Surely, as consumers, it's not unreasonable to expect all manufacturers claims to be accurate. As an aesthetician, don't you expect the products that you sell to your customers to work?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

All substances which are classified as drugs are required by law to do what they claim. If you take medication for high blood pressure - you expect it to lower your blood pressure...

The thing is, not all drugs work for everyone and blood pressure is a good example. I think that is why there are so many different blood pressure drugs. The same can be said for antidepressants - different ones work for different people. So the manufacturer has to prove that the drug will work, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
Panda1 wrote:
Keliu wrote:

All substances which are classified as drugs are required by law to do what they claim. If you take medication for high blood pressure - you expect it to lower your blood pressure...

The thing is, not all drugs work for everyone and blood pressure is a good example. I think that is why there are so many different blood pressure drugs. The same can be said for antidepressants - different ones work for different people. So the manufacturer has to prove that the drug will work, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you.

Well I was speaking broadly - my point being that drugs undergo extensive testing and regulation to ensure safety and efficacy(in the main). However, cosmetics can claim whatever they want because there's no accountability.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
my point being that drugs undergo extensive testing and regulation to ensure safety and efficacy(in the main). However, cosmetics can claim whatever they want because there's no accountability.

320 billion dollars were spent on drugs in the US alone in 2011. As much money that is spent on skincare products it pales in comparison to pharmaceutical drugs. You will never have the kind of testing that is required for skincare products that is required for drugs and if you did I would think the price for products would go through the roof.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
Keliu wrote:
my point being that drugs undergo extensive testing and regulation to ensure safety and efficacy(in the main). However, cosmetics can claim whatever they want because there's no accountability.

320 billion dollars were spent on drugs in the US alone in 2011. As much money that is spent on skincare products it pales in comparison to pharmaceutical drugs. You will never have the kind of testing that is required for skincare products that is required for drugs and if you did I would think the price for products would go through the roof.

Agreed. Except the prices for some high end cosmetic topicals are going through the roof - between $400 and $600 an ounce. That's dearer than most drugs. For those kind of prices I want to know it works!

And the cosmetic companies are the last ones to want any regulation - because then they wouldn't be able to sell their "dream".

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
A "dream" is, for the most part, all that cosmetic companies sell.

Most certainly don't sell products that will give effective results.
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:31 am      Reply with quote
Here's another case of the FDA cracking down on advertising. Doesn't sound like they are looking for the company to substantiate their claims, just to change what they are saying.

http://www.cosmeticsdesign.com/Regulation-Safety/Another-cosmetic-company-feels-the-FDA-s-wrath-over-misleading-marketing-claims/?c=pMJn%2Fb4OA2SLK5g0ai%2F8SQ%3D%3D&utm_source=newsletter_daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter%2BDaily
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
Everything everyone said is sadly true! This won't stop the outrageous claims, nor hold anyone accountable. There all in it to make money, or they wouldn't have a product to sale. And were all in it to solve a problem, AGING, so sadly, were gullible.

because every so often a product DOES come along and do some stuff, so we all keep hoping and buying

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:04 am      Reply with quote
A few more cases of the FDA rapping companies for misleading claims:

Avon becomes latest FDA target on anti-aging claims
Avon Products has become the latest in an increasingly long list of cosmetic players to receive warning letters from the FDA, this time concerning claims made for its Anew anti-aging line...
http://www.cosmeticsdesign.com/Regulation-Safety/Avon-becomes-latest-FDA-target-on-anti-aging-claims

The FDA strikes again… in matters of misleading claims
'Janson Beckett' and 'Andes Natural Skin Care' are the latest to have received warning letters…
http://www.cosmeticsdesign.com/Regulation-Safety/The-FDA-strikes-again-in-matters-of-misleading-claims
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:16 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |