Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Topical Vitamin c products ???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Suzi237

Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:31 am      Reply with quote
Sorry if posted before but I couldn't find it...
Suggestions for the best vitamin C serums ??
Do they really have to be the most expensive??
If Vit C is in the beginning of the ingredients list does this mean its more potent??
obsedded1234
5% products discount

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:55 am      Reply with quote
nufountain seems to bee good Smile
tindra1816
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
SkinMedica - Vitamin C Complex)
This product doubles as a Vitamin C serum and as a primer. When I run out of primer, I use this as my back up. I love how it is packaged- it prevents oxidation. I also love the texture of the serum on my skin. I use this in the AM after my Essential Serum and then the Retinol Complex in the PM. I'm in my mid 20's but I have dry skin so I am using these products for preventative care. I used to have severely dry skin and I've noticed a significant improvement.
Bree5666
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:38 pm      Reply with quote
I just tried this brand of Vit C serum called Mad Hippie. Seems not bad. Astringent properties yes. But anti oxident wise I'm not too sure how to gauge.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:38 am      Reply with quote
I highly encourage you to try to DIY for pennies on the dollar. If you can make macaroni and cheese, you can make a fresh, potent vitamin C serum.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:17 am      Reply with quote
Suzi237 wrote:
Sorry if posted before but I couldn't find it...
Suggestions for the best vitamin C serums ??
Do they really have to be the most expensive??
If Vit C is in the beginning of the ingredients list does this mean its more potent??

In order to be effective, it is advisable to purchase vit C serums with stated concentrations eg 10%, 15% etc. Those that are not stated are likely to have vit C in very low concentrations.

DIY vit C is the most economical options (with many recipes that you can google or look under the DIY skincare section of this forum. However, it requires refrigeration and has to be made up at least once a week (ideally daily) so it can be a hassle.

The expensive ones tend to have some clinical studies backing their efficacy (you can google under the individual brands such as Skinceuticals, etc). But some people are satisfied with more budget-friendly brands such as Nufountain, Silk Naturals.

It may take some trial and error to find one that suits your budget and your skin.

My take on it:

If you have fairly major issues that you wish to address, eg pigmentation, then if you can afford it, go for the expensive ones first and see how you fare. You can switch to a cheaper brand for maintenance later if your skin shows improvement.
Suzi237

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:22 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for your advice, I just ordered some vitamin c powder from owndoc so I will be making my own... Eekkk can't wait for better looking skin Very Happy
gottaHAVEitALL
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:51 am      Reply with quote
The research I've done seems to reveal that vitamin c serums below a 20% concentration do not deliver the expected results. I would, however, recommend that you build up tolerance, as you would with, say, retinol, and start at a lower concentration and work your way up. I know Obagi and some other companies have a 20% vitamin c serum. NeoStrata also has one.

Good luck!

5% products discount

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
Nufountain that you can buy on amazon is wonderful!!! I've been using it for almost four months and it's done amazing things for my skin. My skin is brighter smoother and the post acne marks are fading. I bought the lightening one. They also have a couple of others to choose from. It's fairly inexpensive too. The only downfall I it should be stored in the fridge or it can ruin.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
Ava with wings wrote:
I highly encourage you to try to DIY for pennies on the dollar. If you can make macaroni and cheese, you can make a fresh, potent vitamin C serum.

I agree, Vit C Serum can be easily made at home. If you DIY you save money and you have a quarantee that it is fresh.

The simplest recipe is just to combine LAA with distilled water. You can also add a preservative, if you want. For example, in order to get approx. 10 ml of 20% Vitamin C Serum you combine: 8 gr of distilled water with 2 grams of LAA powder.

If you want to make a vit C serum with Ferulic acid and Vit E then follow this video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KwnMxRL7J5w

The supplies can be bought from bulkactives.com or skinactives.com or you can get a kit from skinessentialactives.com
lillypforme

Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
Reviderm's Vitiamin C serum is amazing.
Nelly4
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:45 am      Reply with quote
Cellular Skin RX - C + Firming Serum is very reasonable, stays stable and does not leave a sticky feel at all. Its my favourite skin care product and my face always feels amazing when I use it and then really rough when I stop using it - highly recommended!
LimeranceBeauty

Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:59 am      Reply with quote
This may be a little off-topic, but i recently watched this incredible documentary talking about super-foods, and the role of vitamins in our daily lives. This documentary talked about how none of us take NEARLY as much vitamins as we should. For instance, You can take over 50,000 mg of vitamin C and it's considered GREAT for you. They even experimented and had one patient take up to 200,000 mg of Vit. C and the only thing was happened is that they needed some water.

The point is that when you take much larger doses of vitamins, you will see much more powerful results. Some vitamins are dangerous to take too much of so i would suggest reading before taking too much of anything Razz. The documentary is called FoodMatters and is fairly mainstream and i personally found it on Netflix.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:52 am      Reply with quote
Cosmedix makes pure Vitamin C crystals that add into any serum or moisturizer you have.

I have been using them and they rule. The product is called Pure C Mixing Crystals and I mix mine with their Affirm serum in the morning. My skin is smoother, less congested, and much healthier all over.

It's pure vitamin C. You could love it because of how easy it is to administer.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:53 am      Reply with quote
LimeranceBeauty wrote:
This may be a little off-topic, but i recently watched this incredible documentary talking about super-foods, and the role of vitamins in our daily lives. This documentary talked about how none of us take NEARLY as much vitamins as we should. For instance, You can take over 50,000 mg of vitamin C and it's considered GREAT for you. They even experimented and had one patient take up to 200,000 mg of Vit. C and the only thing was happened is that they needed some water.

The point is that when you take much larger doses of vitamins, you will see much more powerful results. Some vitamins are dangerous to take too much of so i would suggest reading before taking too much of anything Razz. The documentary is called FoodMatters and is fairly mainstream and i personally found it on Netflix.

Hmmmm....for vitamin C, a 2 gram dose (2,000 mg) is known to cause osmotic diarrhea and stomach upset. 200 g is a an insane amount, so no one should attempt more than 1-2 grams/day from supplements without medical supervision.

But I agree that many people are not getting enough nutrients. For example, a dose of around 200 mg/day of vitamin C (the RDA is below 100 mg/day) is thought to saturate blood levels, so is a better target.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:56 am      Reply with quote
Moser1978 wrote:
Nufountain that you can buy on amazon is wonderful!!! I've been using it for almost four months and it's done amazing things for my skin. My skin is brighter smoother and the post acne marks are fading. I bought the lightening one. They also have a couple of others to choose from. It's fairly inexpensive too. The only downfall I it should be stored in the fridge or it can ruin.

I also use Nufountain! It's freshly made and the price is good. I keep it in the refrigerator and love what it has done for my skin. I like that it has minimal ingredients and nothing unnecessary. One bottle lasts a long time.
I took a break from it at one point to try MyChelle vit C serum and I hated it. I have gone back to NuFountain.
chasemom
5% products discount

Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
SnowFairy wrote:
Moser1978 wrote:

I also use Nufountain! It's freshly made and the price is good. I keep it in the refrigerator and love what it has done for my skin. I like that it has minimal ingredients and nothing unnecessary. One bottle lasts a long time.
I took a break from it at one point to try MyChelle vit C serum and I hated it. I have gone back to NuFountain.

Hi--Do you use the 20% strength? I see both are out of stock right ow Sad.
SnowFairy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
chasemom wrote:
SnowFairy wrote:
Moser1978 wrote:

'

Been using this for over a year. I went to re-order on Amazon and it didn't even come up in my search. I still have one bottle in my fridge from my last order but wanted more. I never want to run out. I also tried the MyChelle C serum and hated it. Never even finished the bottle. I hated the smell, the look, the feel - everything.
chasemom
5% products discount

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
SnowFairy wrote:
chasemom wrote:
SnowFairy wrote:
Moser1978 wrote:

'

Been using this for over a year. I went to re-order on Amazon and it didn't even come up in my search. I still have one bottle in my fridge from my last order but wanted more. I never want to run out. I also tried the MyChelle C serum and hated it. Never even finished the bottle. I hated the smell, the look, the feel - everything.

I just got this! Smile. QUICK reply!

Hello,

NuFountain is on vacation until after NewYears since shipping over a weekend and a holiday delays the delivery of a freshly made serum.

We will have our products back up after the holiday to ensure you only get the freshest made serum possible.

Regards,
NuFountain Customer Care
Sent from my iPhone
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
Different serums use different types of vitamin C. I did try the Neostrata ones. Years ago I tried the ones in individual caps. (Body Shop also has this type.) It was 30 caps for around $30.00 cdn. The caps have a small amount and I really needed a cap and a half; to do my neck.

I tried the newer Neostrata one with 20%. I finished the bottle but won't repurchase.

I do better with a MAP type of vitamin C.

I used Avalon serum and loved the old formula. I have not tried the new one.

NuFountian uses MAP. I believe Happy Hippie does also.

I have been very happy with serums from Silk Naturals. It is MAP formula. Sample sizes available.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
Ava with wings wrote:

I agree, Vit C Serum can be easily made at home. If you DIY you save money and you have a quarantee that it is fresh.

The simplest recipe is just to combine LAA with distilled water. You can also add a preservative, if you want. For example, in order to get approx. 10 ml of 20% Vitamin C Serum you combine: 8 gr of distilled water with 2 grams of LAA powder.

If you want to make a vit C serum with Ferulic acid and Vit E then follow this video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KwnMxRL7J5w

The supplies can be bought from bulkactives.com or skinactives.com or you can get a kit from skinessentialactives.com

Wouldnt it be futile to add a preservative to a plain LAA/distilled water serum? Preservatives only retard microbes, not oxidation. The minute LAA hits water/light/heat it starts to oxidize and degrade.

Ferulic acid and vitamin E and some other ingredients can slow down the oxidation. Or, you can use a more stable form of Vitamin C and get more mileage out of your DIY serum.

5% products discount

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
My nufountain c-20 bottles arrived yesterday, and last night I dropped the bottle in the bathroom sink and the product all poured down the drain Crying or Very sad I have two bottles left. I wil try to be more careful.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:17 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |