Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Products/gadgets under $10 that work
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
I don't usually start a new thread but I thought this might be a good subject. We all spend so much money on things that either don't live up to the hype or there isn't the perceived/returned value on the item. So this thread is about products that you have used that cost under $10 that work and you would buy again. I'll start with 3 things that I like.

Salux nylon Japanese bath towel- $5.98
http://www.saluxshop.com/USA-CHOICES_c7.htm

I love these things. They are used in the shower to exfoliate your skin. All you have to do is add liquid soap and they do a great job on making your skin soft and there isn't any slippery surface in your shower like after you use certain scrubs. They dry fairly quickly and can be used for a long period before you need to replace them. They might never wear out, I don't know because they are so cheap I just throw mine out after awhile and get a new one. I would make sure you either order directly from the company or get one from a retail store. I have heard there are fake ones on Amazon and the ones I have gotten from Whole Foods and Body shop are not the same even though they look similar.

Mr Pumice pumi bar-$2.00 at Sally's Beauty Supply
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Pumice-Two-Sided-Ultimate/dp/B000NO58SW

For some reason I couldn't find a picture of the one I have use at Sally's website but it is purple on one side and lavender on the other. There are a bunch of different coarseness grades but this is the only one that I have personally used. It is a pumice stone for your feet and it works great. You use it in the shower with a little soap on your feet and it will get them soft in no time. I have tried a lot of different things on my feet (ped egg, rasp, ACV, Ansr sole, all kind of lotions etc.) and nothing has worked as good as Mr. Pumice. You can buy it locally if you have a Sally's around you and it will last a good long time. You do have to be careful about letting it dry out so it doesn't get nasty looking but I do leave it in the shower standing on its side and it seems to dry out as long as it's not too humid.

Walgreen's studio 35 beauty alpha hydroxy face cream-$8.79 but can get on sale for $5.59.
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/studio-35-beauty-alpha-hydroxy-face-cream/ID=prod6111663-product

This used to called Alpha Hydroxy lotion 8%. I use this on my body not my face and I have to admit it is not a holy grail item for me but I do think for the price it works very well. I use it on my feet, legs and arms and it does a good job of keeping my skin baby soft. You can find it at any local Walgreen's so it is easy to get. I probably wouldn't recommend this for the face for someone with oily skin. I would think it is too heavy. Not sure about other skin types since I have oily skin.

These are things that I have bought and will continue to buy because I think they are a good bang for your buck. What items have made your list?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Cookie! Good idea for a thread. I will vouch for the Salux cloth. One of my best buys of 2010 Do NOT buy from Amazon (fakes abound) - must be purchased direct. If you buy in bulk you can do really well. I bought direct - and I think the contact persons name is Joie? Could be wrong. It is a great product - I've used the same one for two years - bought tons and give them out. People this product is amazing for the body - exfoliation and skin softening.

Cheap alpha hydrox - great for feet. I already have the pumice you mentioned too Laughing

I'll add to the foot suggestion for a product I haven't used but is on order. It is used in place of Pedi-Egg or anything (including reg pumic stone). The product is called Blackstone and very inexpensive. There is a thread that Nonie just started on beauty feet treatments. Here is the link. http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=47097

http://wblackstone.bizhosting.com/. The stone comes with directions of use but you can get them on the site by clicking on the PRODUCT button at the top

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I already have the pumice you mentioned too Laughing

I'll add to the foot suggestion for a product I haven't used but is on order. It is instead of Pedi-Egg or anything (including reg pumic stone). Called Blackstone. There is a thread that Nonie just started.

Hi Sister sweets, let me know how you like the Blackstone when you get it. (I saw that thread) I am very happy with the Mr. Pumice but always looking to "upgrade" if you think it works better. Thanks.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
I love Rain Water Botanicals Toner for Troubled Skin. I mix in a little extra lactic acid and it is fab. $10

http://www.etsy.com/listing/61959656/troubled-skin-toner-with-frankincense

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

Excellent thread! Thanks for starting it.

I want to contribute with my favorite
L'Oreal Eye Makeup Remover .

http://www.drugstore.com/loreal-eye-makeup-remover/qxp150314

It is $6.59 and it is perfect for removing whatever you put on your eyes.

It's also sold in blue good quality convenient size plastic bottles, which i always store and re-use for my DIY projects.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:42 am      Reply with quote
I really love Carole Maggio's face mitt: http://facercise.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=18

I've been using it for around 3-4 years now (I think), and it costs $10.

On a similar note, I'd be interested in people's favorite tools under $50...maybe that will be the next thread Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
I don't usually start a new thread but I thought this might be a good subject. We all spend so much money on things that either don't live up to the hype or there isn't the perceived/returned value on the item. So this thread is about products that you have used that cost under $10 that work and you would buy again. I'll start with 3 things that I like.

Salux nylon Japanese bath towel- $5.98
http://www.saluxshop.com/USA-CHOICES_c7.htm

I love these things. They are used in the shower to exfoliate your skin. All you have to do is add liquid soap and they do a great job on making your skin soft and there isn't any slippery surface in your shower like after you use certain scrubs. They dry fairly quickly and can be used for a long period before you need to replace them. They might never wear out, I don't know because they are so cheap I just throw mine out after awhile and get a new one. I would make sure you either order directly from the company or get one from a retail store. I have heard there are fake ones on Amazon and the ones I have gotten from Whole Foods and Body shop are not the same even though they look similar.

Mr Pumice pumi bar-$2.00 at Sally's Beauty Supply
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Pumice-Two-Sided-Ultimate/dp/B000NO58SW

For some reason I couldn't find a picture of the one I have use at Sally's website but it is purple on one side and lavender on the other. There are a bunch of different coarseness grades but this is the only one that I have personally used. It is a pumice stone for your feet and it works great. You use it in the shower with a little soap on your feet and it will get them soft in no time. I have tried a lot of different things on my feet (ped egg, rasp, ACV, Ansr sole, all kind of lotions etc.) and nothing has worked as good as Mr. Pumice. You can buy it locally if you have a Sally's around you and it will last a good long time. You do have to be careful about letting it dry out so it doesn't get nasty looking but I do leave it in the shower standing on its side and it seems to dry out as long as it's not too humid.

Walgreen's studio 35 beauty alpha hydroxy face cream-$8.79 but can get on sale for $5.59.
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/studio-35-beauty-alpha-hydroxy-face-cream/ID=prod6111663-product

This used to called Alpha Hydroxy lotion 8%. I use this on my body not my face and I have to admit it is not a holy grail item for me but I do think for the price it works very well. I use it on my feet, legs and arms and it does a good job of keeping my skin baby soft. You can find it at any local Walgreen's so it is easy to get. I probably wouldn't recommend this for the face for someone with oily skin. I would think it is too heavy. Not sure about other skin types since I have oily skin.

These are things that I have bought and will continue to buy because I think they are a good bang for your buck. What items have made your list?

I bought my Salux wash towel from an Asian store. I love it. I do have a copy and it is not bad...but not the same.

I love the Mr. Pumice bar. Different colours go on sale at Sally's. I have tried different colours and they all work well.

We do not have Walgreen's in Canada. I do have the original Alpha Hydroxy. If you checkout Winners, you can often see it there at a discount.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:57 am      Reply with quote
One item I would like to suggest for anyone that wears foundation and or concealer. (If you don't need foundation or concealer; you are LUCKY!)

I have the Beauty Blender dupe. The original is $20.00. I got the dupe from Avon for IIRC $6.00 cdn. Great for blending and the pointed end is great for blending around nose and eyes.

In the US; Target stores sell one from the SK line.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:09 am      Reply with quote
Another beauty tool that I use quite often is the flocked sponge. Very often used with mineral makeup; but is great for any liquid/powder. I use it when I am done applying my powders. I take a dry sponge and lightly go over my face so I don't have any "seams" or spots with too much makeup.

Photo

http://www.alimapure.com/brushes/flocked-sponge

Link to suggestion on how to use this:

http://makeup-secrets.blogspot.ca/2007/10/using-flocked-sponge-with-mineral.html

Many mineral makeup companies sell these. I think Sally in the US does carry these. I believe it is also available on EDS. Last forever and should be under $10.00.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
Definitely a great post... but I do think I can't really comment about products sold in USA or Canada,... I frankly don't know many of the ones mentioned so far, loreal product yes, carole maggio just by chance because of been interested in facial ex.
So I'm going to stick to an international product very often underestimated: Vaseline or Petroleum Jelly. For me it's a must have for lips, and often use it as an eye area moisturiser at night. Cheap too!
deep_splash
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:37 am      Reply with quote
just bought the blackstone on ebay, can't wait to try it after all these good reviews Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
The Tweezerman lash comb is the best for separating and removing clumps from mascara on lashes. The metal teeth are superior for getting the clumps out. Don't even bother with plastic teeth. I wipe it off when I am done to remove the wet mascara.

Available at EDS
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/tweezerman-folding-ilashc-p_4463.htm

It lasts forever. I will probably misplace or lose mine first.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
upon your recommendations, I bought one and OMG <3<3<3
Absolutely love it! I have Keratosis Pilaris on my upper arms and legs and after using this it makes me skin much much smoother. I've tried various products before and have been using a body brush. I thought that was good but it doesn't even come close to the Salux.

Thank you so much guys!! Now, to find a product that reduces/diminishes the redness of the bumps.

5% products discount

Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
I just can't live without "Facial Hair Remover Threading Beauty Tool". I have been using it for more then a year now and it costs around $7.

P.S. Sorry, can't post a link because of the new member thingy Sad
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:44 am      Reply with quote
sai79,

Can you post the name of the website, without the ".com" ending? Thanks very much, and thanks for your advice Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:45 am      Reply with quote
deep_splash wrote:
upon your recommendations, I bought one and OMG <3<3<3
Absolutely love it! I have Keratosis Pilaris on my upper arms and legs and after using this it makes me skin much much smoother. I've tried various products before and have been using a body brush. I thought that was good but it doesn't even come close to the Salux.

Thank you so much guys!! Now, to find a product that reduces/diminishes the redness of the bumps.

Deep_slash,

Whose recommendation were you referring to? Thx.

5% products discount

Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hey cm5597,
I bought it from Amazon. Its called "HDE ® Facial Hair Remover Threading Beauty Tool". The exact price is $6.49.
Sai
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
sai79 wrote:
Hey cm5597,
I bought it from Amazon. Its called "HDE ® Facial Hair Remover Threading Beauty Tool". The exact price is $6.49.
Sai

Perfect. Thanks, Sai!

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:56 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the Salux cloth recs. I can see why everyone loves them as they really are pretty fantastic.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:29 am      Reply with quote
I'll say Mavala base coat for nails, Colorfix topcoat and any of their nail polish.

Beautybay.com sells them and they have a mini base coat for $5, mini topcoat for $5 and all the nail polish is $5- but nail polish is only 5ml bottles...that is all they make.

-people keep thinking I have gel nails as the finish is very shiny.

I guess also Mavala nail polish thinner, that costs $7

I also like Jason body washes, the Aloe one or peach? they are not drying for liquid soaps.
deep_splash
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:59 am      Reply with quote
hahha, got way too excited there for a moment.
I'm referring to the salux japanese bath towel. Still swearing by it :P

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:33 am      Reply with quote
A plain ol'razor Shhh ...(for skin exfoliation--not hair removal.)

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
tgimly

Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
My favourite under $10 beauty product is at-home teeth whitening:

1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp hydrogen peroxide
few drops of water

Mix together to form a paste, and use like you would toothpaste. Do this once/week (no more or you'll wear your enamel down!). It gives AMAZING results, and doesn't make my teeth sensitive like Crest Whitestrips do.

You can get a box of baking soda and a bottle of hydrogen peroxide for a dollar each at the dollarstore, and they will give you like a years worth of whitening. Enjoy!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:19 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |