Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Help for Poor Bone Structure
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
lilacspring

Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:13 am      Reply with quote
I try not to categorize myself as ugly, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't get very depressed about my face, quite often. I'm still young (will be 23 in November), but I have extreme nasolabial folds and at least mild marionette lines. I would describe my face as having a bit 'recessed' cheekbones and a small jaw (or at least that's what I was told by my dentist growing up). I'll try to post pictures as soon as I figure out, but is there anything I can do to drastically improve my appearance when poor bone structure is the culprit? I'm almost wholeheartedly convinced that I cannot change my appearance, and some days it's literally devastating to walk around and see people my age who look so young (or I feel, normal), while I feel I look older. Or maybe the discrepancy really is just attractiveness. I would be willing to consider surgery, but I can't afford it for a long period of time. I just want to look like someone normal at my age.
puddlelover
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
I think some dentistry can alter the face shape - if you look up orthotropics (and there maybe other techniques) I think they can do this with adults too, although it would be much slower, and expensive and uncomfortable I would imagine than when a child. If you look on wiki at biobloc that may give you an idea

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
I posted a thread last month about braces and nasiolabial folds. OP, maybe you might find it to be helpful:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=47116
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
It seems as if that thread might be loosely related to your issue.
puddlelover
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:35 am      Reply with quote
Just thinking and there is a dentist who designed this
http://www.oralift.com/
I'm not suggesting the oralift appliance for you particularly, but that you may be able to ask his advice, I would imagine he has a good eye for balance and being a dentist may be able to help. Perhaps you could ask if you could send him some front and side photos? Just a thought

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
puddlelover wrote:
Just thinking and there is a dentist who designed this
http://www.oralift.com/
I'm not suggesting the oralift appliance for you particularly, but that you may be able to ask his advice, I would imagine he has a good eye for balance and being a dentist may be able to help. Perhaps you could ask if you could send him some front and side photos? Just a thought

regarding this, I tired it using the teeth whitening trays, I cant think anything why those trays wont be comparable as they do keep the upper and lower jaw apart just what the oralift device does... anyways, I don't think it made any difference
puddlelover
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
I can see your logic! But I have teeth whitening trays and I have an oralift and they dont feel the same - with the oralift you have two different mouth pieces of different heights and you use the lower one until you are used to it and then move onto the higher one - it does take some getting used to, its almost tiring to wear for a time - it really does open up the bite - my teeth naturally drift together and if I don't use it for a few days I can really feel my jaw closing in again - after a few weeks even things like taking an enormous bite out of a muffin is harder! Although I didn't think it had made any difference to my face I left it out for a few months and my jaw started to 'square off' again. I think the results are variable depending on the person, but I do think it made a subtle change to my face, and it certainly makes my mouth posture more comfortable

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
o great that you have an oralift.. i always wanted to ask someone who had one! so is it different than if u just keep your jaw apart on your own? My jaw is never shut completely, I always have space between my upper n lower teeth... in fact keeping my jaw shut feels like a lot of work for me!
puddlelover
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
I'd love that! A relaxed jaw. I'm in an almost constant state of clench! Which makes you feel tense even if you're not! And my jaw seems to set that way, so opening wide is uncomfortable - if yours drifts open I can't imagine the oralift would do much for you - it really acts like an opening device, to get space between the back of your upper and lower teeth. I think because mine are tighter its probably had an effect on my masseter over the years which was giving me a strong masculine look - not what I'm going for really! So wearing it really did seem to lessen that. He's a very nice man and seems very knowledgeable. I've just measured with my mouth wide open from the bottom of my front tooth to the top of my lower tooth and its 36mm, I think its opened up by 5mm, and that movement must have come from the back of the jaw as thats where the device rests. (I'm 5'4" tall if you want to compare) I used to have discomfort opening up for big sandwiches - not anymore! (there are pluses and minuses to that!)

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for the info puddlelover! I am glad it has helped you.. I cant even imagine in a constant clenched state! that would be so uncomfortable...
hzzyjane
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
puddlelover wrote:
I think some dentistry can alter the face shape - if you look up orthotropics (and there maybe other techniques) I think they can do this with adults too, although it would be much slower, and expensive and uncomfortable I would imagine than when a child. If you look on wiki at biobloc that may give you an idea

Yes, functional orthodontic appliances can change bone structure to a degree and improve underdeveloped jaws and cheekbones (as well as narrow airways) and improve facial symmetry.

Homeoblock, ALF and DNA appliances all work in this manner and are worn like a retainer.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:03 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |