Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
80/10/10
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:56 am      Reply with quote
Having watched Freelea's most recent youtube video I must admit I am succumbing to the idea of trying the 80/10/10 diet. I have a little one and am a dancer so like the idea that the 80/10/10 diet is supposedly great for supporting an active lifestyle. Also am always on the look out for the "right way of eating" so like to try different things. So far my favourite way of eating is following a raw food diet but find it difficult to maintain as I have to cook for my family seperately and get bogged down with having to make different meals for everyone. One of the advantages of the 80/10/10 diet is that there is very little food preparation involved.

My main concerns are that it is an extreme diet and requires the person to put all their faith in a radical diet plan that goes against everything you read in standard nutrition text books and in the general health community and that it lacks long term scientific evidence. Indeed I do find it a bit worrying that Dr Doug Graham (The pioneer of 80/10/10) is 59 but looks much older. If standard nutritional advice turned out to be correct then eating the 801010 way would be the worst thing you could do for your skin - all that sugar and very low protein. On the other hand there are people who claim to have flourished on the diet. However they tend to be in their 20's and 30's so if the diet is damaging I don't think we will see any obvious effects until they get older.

What do you guys think? Has anyone tried this diet or been tempted?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:58 am      Reply with quote
Personally I would not do a diet like this. I would never survive on so little protein and fat and it seems like it would difficult to maintain long term. I think the risk of nutritional deficiency is high. Healthy fats are good for you and there is very little of that in this diet.

Now of coarse thats just me and a diet like this may work great for you. I think you really need to know alot about nutrition for it to work. If you do your own research on this type of diet (not just Dr Graham's info) and feel confident you can put together a proper diet then why not give it a try if you are interested.

If you are looking to avoid animal products, then maybe look into a vegan diet. Still requires nutritional knowledge but you can put together a healthier eating plan with many more food options.
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Personally I would not do a diet like this. I would never survive on so little protein and fat and it seems like it would difficult to maintain long term. I think the risk of nutritional deficiency is high. Healthy fats are good for you and there is very little of that in this diet.

Now of coarse thats just me and a diet like this may work great for you. I think you really need to know alot about nutrition for it to work. If you do your own research on this type of diet (not just Dr Graham's info) and feel confident you can put together a proper diet then why not give it a try if you are interested.

Thanks for the feedback Girlie Girl. I totally agree with believing that I am suited to a high protein/high fat diet and that different diets suit different people. What the 80/10/10 people argue though is that we wouldn't feel that way if we had tried their diet (which we probably haven't come close to trying because it is pretty bizarre). I have even heard one of the proponents saying that eating diets high in protein messes with female hormones and gives women thick upper arms and thick upper legs. It is true that I store my fat in these places but I thought that was just my body type... They also believe that the true diet for everyone is modelled around the 80/10/10 with perhaps a little adjustment to the ratios according to the individual but maintaining roughly the same balance. Have done research in the way of forums but there are few health professionals (including raw vegan ones) that think this diet is a good idea. It seems to take a leap of faith.

Quote:
If you are looking to avoid animal products, then maybe look into a vegan diet. Still requires nutritional knowledge but you can put together a healthier eating plan with many more food options.

Am actually pretty intolerant to dairy so cutting out meat pretty much makes me a vegan anyway. Have tried traditional veganism (Using legumes as my main source of protein) and did not do very well on it. Think it was just too starchy carby for me. Then tried raw veganism (No beans, lots of veg, spirinula and hemp as main sources of protein)and felt fantastic. Problem was the amount of prep a raw vegan diet requires when you are also required to cook food for other family members. Perhaps this is the right diet for me though.

Do you follow a diet plan Girlie Girl
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:59 am      Reply with quote
I would be interested to see how you feel if you do try this diet. It is loaded with good stuff but seems to exclude stuff too.

I have to wonder if eating a pound of fruit in 1 sitting would be hard to do. Seems like alot Shock

I don't follow any particular plan. I just focus on eating healthy from all food groups and try to make it as balanced as I can but I don't track anything.
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
I've read awhile ago about people having tooth decay while on that diet. Fruit is natures candy, so to me that makes sense. I agree that Doug Graham does not look all that youthful. So this diet doesn't seem to make one look younger. So if it's a matter of health than I think that being a regular raw foodist or doing something like Dr. Furhmans eat to live program would be better.
hzzyjane
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
She and her boyfriend have a bad reputation for kicking people off their low fat/high fruit forum who question the diet or start complaining too much about deteriorating health. I have no respect for them at all. I know many people who have had bad experiences with those two...

As far as the diet itself, Doug Graham's "science" about how cells run on glucose is very outdated and incomplete.

I used to be a raw foodist and have several friends who nearly ruined their health doing the low fat/high fruit diet. One gained weight, developed skin problems and extreme depression (lack of fatty acids) and another developed pre-diabetes and lost bone density. They both had really messed up digestion.

Google "Anne Osborne fruitarian" if you want to see a woman who has been on that type of diet for a long time. She's in her 40's and looks much older!
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Moon,
I've been thinking about trying this for a short period just to see how my body/mind responds. The thought of eating only fruit actually doesn't seem right to me, but then again, about two years ago eating mainly veggies raw wasn't a reality and that is what I tend to do nowadays -say about a 70% raw veg, the rest is cooked veg., some fish, eggs, oatmeal; and feeling good. Before that I've been ovo-lacto-vegetarian but with cooked food and also lots of pasta, rice, etc,... just gone more raw recently but added some fish. Thinking of just keeping the fish out and go on with the chia and linseeds for the fatty acids.
What puzzles me is the video I've seen about fatness around arms and top of legs vanishing... the videos are there to prove it, ... it has got me wondering about this body fat distribution on the body, how it may be altered by what one eats.
Moon, have you decided to give it a try?
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi hzzyjane, I'm curious as you mention you "used to be a raw foodist", what made you change, and how have you changed your diet? What negative effects did you notice to stop being a raw foodist. What have been the positive effects of not following a raw foodist diet? Very interested in knowing about real people experience. Thanks.
As to Anne Osborne, I hadn't heard of her till now so I've viewed a couple of youtube video on her... I honestly don't think she looks much older than as you say in her forties!

hzzyjane wrote:
I used to be a raw foodist and have several friends who nearly ruined their health doing the low fat/high fruit diet. One gained weight, developed skin problems and extreme depression (lack of fatty acids) and another developed pre-diabetes and lost bone density. They both had really messed up digestion.

Google "Anne Osborne fruitarian" if you want to see a woman who has been on that type of diet for a long time. She's in her 40's and looks much older!
hzzyjane
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:32 pm      Reply with quote
ATester wrote:
Hi hzzyjane, I'm curious as you mention you "used to be a raw foodist", what made you change, and how have you changed your diet? What negative effects did you notice to stop being a raw foodist. What have been the positive effects of not following a raw foodist diet? Very interested in knowing about real people experience. Thanks.
As to Anne Osborne, I hadn't heard of her till now so I've viewed a couple of youtube video on her... I honestly don't think she looks much older than as you say in her forties!

hzzyjane wrote:

I ended up losing muscle, despite eating plenty of plant proteins. Also, my skin seemed to be aging more rapidly (now I know this was due to low estrogen).
I began having dreams bluntly telling me to eat meat (which I hadn't eaten in 16 years!) and even dreams showing me what foods to eat. I now eat a Paleo/Primal type diet (whole foods, no gluten, usually no grains/legumes).

I got into raw food to heal extreme adrenal fatigue and my skin ( both of which it really never made a dent in). Eventually I was diagnosed with autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's), which was a big key to my health puzzle. As it turns out, Paleo diets are very beneficial for autoimmune disease, so I guess my body knew what it was telling me with the dreams Smile

My skin is much healthier than it was before and so is the rest of me. I stopped getting cystic acne and it was weird- numerous small warts I had on my fingers for a couple of years all disappeared after I started eating meat. It makes me wonder if my immune system was suppressed.
In general, I feel a lot better and have way more energy and so many people have asked me in the past few years what I'm doing differently (and then mentioning that I look a lot healthier than I used to!)
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
hzzyjane wrote:
I ended up losing muscle, despite eating plenty of plant proteins. Also, my skin seemed to be aging more rapidly (now I know this was due to low estrogen).
I began having dreams bluntly telling me to eat meat (which I hadn't eaten in 16 years!) and even dreams showing me what foods to eat. I now eat a Paleo/Primal type diet (whole foods, no gluten, usually no grains/legumes).

I got into raw food to heal extreme adrenal fatigue and my skin ( both of which it really never made a dent in). Eventually I was diagnosed with autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's), which was a big key to my health puzzle. As it turns out, Paleo diets are very beneficial for autoimmune disease, so I guess my body knew what it was telling me with the dreams Smile

My skin is much healthier than it was before and so is the rest of me. I stopped getting cystic acne and it was weird- numerous small warts I had on my fingers for a couple of years all disappeared after I started eating meat. It makes me wonder if my immune system was suppressed.
In general, I feel a lot better and have way more energy and so many people have asked me in the past few years what I'm doing differently (and then mentioning that I look a lot healthier than I used to!)

"Eventually I was diagnosed with autoimmune thyroid disease...(later you state) It makes me wonder if my immune system was suppressed" Probably you're answering your own question... what made you go on on the raw diet for extreme adrenal fatigue and skin, surely after a month or two you would see if it was of any benefit?
On the estrogen issue, my excess of estrogen is causing me cellulite and ovarian cysts!! Plus facial puffiness and tiredness!!
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:36 pm      Reply with quote
I'm wondering about trying to do a 80/10/10 period of a month and a half to see how it goes. As I understand it is 80 % fruit, 10% protein and 10% fat,... right? correct me if not, and what does the fat and protein consist on??
Would a month and half be enough time for the body to show any benefits from this feeding the body?
TIA, A,
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:50 pm      Reply with quote
Erasing a repeated post again Smile
hzzyjane
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
ATester wrote:
hzzyjane wrote:

"Eventually I was diagnosed with autoimmune thyroid disease...(later you state) It makes me wonder if my immune system was suppressed" Probably you're answering your own question... what made you go on on the raw diet for extreme adrenal fatigue and skin, surely after a month or two you would see if it was of any benefit?
On the estrogen issue, my excess of estrogen is causing me cellulite and ovarian cysts!! Plus facial puffiness and tiredness!!

I was high raw for about a year before I went all in, which ended up being 6 months. In the raw food world, you're taught that if you just comply MORE, than you'll be healed, and that healing comes with time and that you have to be patient. With adrenal fatigue, realistically it takes a minimum of three months up to even several years to heal, so that's why I stayed raw for 6 months.

I jumped ship at the point I started to have negative symptoms, also I was seeing friends beginning to have negative symptoms.

As far as the immune system, I've likely had autoimmunity for at least a decade. There are different branches of the immune system (TH1, TH2, TH17, etc), so one can be suppressed, while another is on overdrive.

Here's a site where people who are or have been 80/10/10 can freely discuss the diet without potentially getting banned for questioning it.
The people that run the main 80/10/10 forum are known for banning people who start reporting too many health problems or questioning the dogma:
http://30bananasadaysucks.com/tag/801010/
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you hzzyjane for the post, and also hope changing the diet is helping your autoimmunity system. It is odd when you don't know what is not working for one's body. I see you've experimented quite a bit! I'll experiment a bit myself, but I think I'll find it difficult to give up eggs! ... Love them, and do no harm to the chickens that lay them where I live.
I'm going high on raw myself over the past few months and feeling good. Nevertheless, the high on raw is more on vegetables than fruit... I think I'll try a short path of fruit -week/month- and see how I feel.
This is an interesting thread, I wish "mp.." would say something more as I understand she follows more or less this system.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
Could be food allergies.
nickicaps
5% products discount

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:08 am      Reply with quote
I eat a (mostly) raw vegan diet, but not 80/10/10. I think that high raw has tremendous benefits- clear skin, energy, superhero elimination and immune response- but the high fruit program worries me. It seems highly unbalanced. I eat moderate amounts of fat and lots of protein in the form of raw protein powder, nuts, seeds, and occasional tofu and beans and definitely feel better for it.

I think diet is such a deeply personal issue that it's very hard to assign a cookie cutter plan to all people, and trial and error is the only way to go. I found that I looked and felt my best when adopting the Clean program (vegan version) but it's so restrictive that I eventually fell off the wagon and into a vegan doughnut truck!
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
Why follow someone who doesn't look healthy? How does that make sense? I did the vegan diet in my 20s and felt/looked much better after I added protein back. A low protein diet is metabolically unsound and pro-aging.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |