Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dermapen – value?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:43 am      Reply with quote
I have recently found a way that I can purchase my very own Dermapen for about $600 US....

This would seemingly make the whole needling/ dermarolling process a lot easier and faster...and I can get needles of varying lengths for short or deep "rolls".

Looking for opinions...does this option seem expensive to you?
Given what we know about fractional lasers too, lol.
All feedback appreciated.

BFG
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I have recently found a way that I can purchase my very own Dermapen for about $600 US....

This would seemingly make the whole needling/ dermarolling process a lot easier and faster...and I can get needles of varying lengths for short or deep "rolls".

BFG

Can others get one too?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
Seems like a decent price to me. Is it the "official" dermapen? Not a knock-off? I'd be very tempted.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:

BFG

I would check out how much the replacement needle cost is per "cartridge". It has been a long time since I was on the Dermapen website but I seem to remember that the price for the different size needles was expensive. If you plan on reusing the needles obviously that will make it cheaper. Also I don't know if anyone on EDS has gotten the Dermapen so I would be curious if it is less painful/quicker etc. It sure looks that way on the YouTube videos I've seen but those can be deceiving.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:49 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them as I make up my mind... I might have to go to the Dermapen Facebook page to see if there are any updates...

I have a friend in Australia who is willing to have it shipped to her home, then she will re-ship to me.

After this transaction...maybe we can see about future shipments? I don't know. I am trying to make this as simple as it can be for all involved.

This is for the personal at home Dermapen, not the one used in medical offices - that one is over $1,000...which seems a little confusing to me because what makes the device increasingly effective (up to a point, no pun intended!) is the length of the needle, nothing I can think of associated with the unit itself - unless the professional unit "spins" or "punctures" faster than the personal unit...it's hard to get information from the company because they overwhelmingly wish to deal with skincare professionals only.

All that said, compared to rolling with a roller, it seems to me that anything that does the "puncturing" for me would be better - it's the self-mutilation aspect of rolling at home that bothers me most. Well that and the fact that it takes quite a bit of time. The numbing agent always wears off too quickly for me.
I am thinking this may save quite a bit of time. Because ostensibly, I could divide my face & neck into four parts - forehead, two sides of the face and neck, cover each with a numbing agent, place the thick plastic pieces over the four parts, wait, then remove them one at a time - wipe away the agent, then Dermapen each section quickly and be done with it - then jump in the shower and after, apply my topical vitamins...

Also, there is no risk of cross infection since I will not be sharing the needles, they are only going to be used by me.

Again, I appreciate any more thoughts on this...
To me, this seems like a more effective purchase than LED or Ultrasound, etc...

Thanks, BFG
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:11 am      Reply with quote
BFG, I would PM Amber Sheets (or something close to that)...she had previously posted on Dermapen, works for them, and mentioned to me that a home unit would be coming out soon. I would definitely compare the price and specs before ordering.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:

This is for the personal at home Dermapen, not the one used in medical offices - that one is over $1,000...which seems a little confusing to me because what makes the device increasingly effective (up to a point, no pun intended!) is the length of the needle, nothing I can think of associated with the unit itself - unless the professional unit "spins" or "punctures" faster than the personal unit.

Hi Barefootgirl, I saw this today while surfing around and thought it was interesting. This information I think is for the professional model but it says you can not only adjust the needle length but also the speed of the oscillate. (25 times/sec to 90 times/sec) This might be one of the differences between the pro vs home model.

I think I remember when owndoc did a review on the Dermapen one of the concerns was the speed of the needles. I wonder if she just had a knock version that didn't have adjustments.

The Derma Pen is a simple high tech (non-ablative laser) way of accomplishing a precision injury whereby the user can vary the depth of the needling to either create more of a surface injury focused in the Reticular or Papillary Dermis or by going deeper to create a more substantial wound where by it is a controllable precision way of creating collagen growth etc. The depth control allows for .05mm to 2.0mm and the 9 tiny needles Oscillate at 25 times/sec t0 90 times/sec.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=VIuwBC-5q9I&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DVIuwBC-5q9I

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:01 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:

BFG

BFG, why not use dermastamps of different needle lenght instead? Just an idea.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
RE: dermastamps - the point of my purchase is not so much the shape of the tool, but rather the mechanism of action. The rollers and stamps aren't "motorized"...with the Dermapen, the treatment will go faster and I don't have to do the pushing myself. It's not that the pushing is tedious, it's that I find it psychologically challenging to self-inflict. I believe the Dermapen will help me with that issue and make the whole process go faster and more thoroughly.

PS: Amber Sheets never responded to my messages...so anyway.

BFG
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
BFG,

So, will none of these work?: http://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&field-keywords=dermapen&linkCode=ur2&tag=monamielarose-20&url=search-alias%3Daps
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:38 am      Reply with quote
um....not sure of your point?

BFG
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
BFG,

So, will none of these work?: http://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&field-keywords=dermapen&linkCode=ur2&tag=monamielarose-20&url=search-alias%3Daps

None of those are motorized dermapens...they are just regular rollers.

5% products discount

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
I purchased a Dermapen type unit from an overseas China company and it is just junk! The device is clearly a knock off and leaks oil, is shoddy plastic and cheaply made. I asked for a refund and the seller refuses. It actually works, but will probably break down any moment.

There is a reputable company Bellair Industries that sells 2 good models. One is a plastic model around $600and the other more expensive $900 is stainless steel.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
skinhelp wrote:
I purchased a Dermapen type unit from an overseas China company and it is just junk! The device is clearly a knock off and leaks oil, is shoddy plastic and cheaply made. I asked for a refund and the seller refuses. It actually works, but will probably break down any moment.

There is a reputable company Bellair Industries that sells 2 good models. One is a plastic model around $600and the other more expensive $900 is stainless steel.

skinhelp, do you know anyone who has bought either model from Bellair?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
Appears that Dermapen has outsourced some of its training and certification....check out the price wow..
http://needlelogics.com/about/
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Appears that Dermapen has outsourced some of its training and certification....check out the price wow..
http://needlelogics.com/about/

That is NUTS!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:52 am      Reply with quote
bethany,

Why does that concern you?
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:52 am      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
bethany,

Why does that concern you?

Not Bethany but I am sure she is talking about the $7500 price for Dermapen training.

Here is an article from Harper's Bazaar. No real news but there is an interesting quote at the end about wanting the next generation of the Dermapen to inject ingredients simultaneously during the needle use.

The folks at Dermapen acknowledge that they are not reinventing the wheel. "The technology is not groundbreaking," says Chad Milton, CEO and cofounder of the company. "We just innovated something that needed an update." Milton hints that he wants the next generation of the device to do exactly what doctors are hoping for: inject ingredients simultaneously during the needle use.

http://www.dermapen.com/Articles/dermapen-in-septembers-harpers-bazaar.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:26 am      Reply with quote
It's pretty much a forgone conclusion that I will be purchasing one of these soon, but I wanted to also share a video I recently found on YouTube which addresses some of my earlier questions as to why the Dermapen is alleged to produce same or better results than the roller with less irritation and reduced bleeding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpfaRuc0n6Y&feature=youtu.be

BFG
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
I had a DermaPen treatment today with the doctor that did my fractional laser treatment two weeks ago. There was no numbing involved. He used 1.5mm needles (or heads or whatever they are called) and a low speed setting. His assistant applied a "vitamin serum" to my face as he treated each area - supposedly to help the device glide over the skin. As long as the DermaPen is moving it doesn't hurt too much, BUT when the DermaPen stops for extra emphasis in certain areas it hurts ALOT. Fortunately the treatment goes pretty quickly.

There was not much blood and the little bleeding that there was stopped quickly. My face is red, but it was still red from the laser two weeks ago so I can't really tell the difference. The doc said the redness from the DermaPen usually goes away in anywhere between a few hours and a few days - depending on the person. He also suggested a follow up session in 3 to 4 weeks - I'll wait and see.

BFG, if there is any way you can have a DermaPen treatment prior to purchasing the device, it might be beneficial. If you are concerned with "self inflicting pain" it might be hard to get around this.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
Panda1 wrote:
I had a DermaPen treatment today with the doctor that did my fractional laser treatment two weeks ago. There was no numbing involved. He used 1.5mm needles (or heads or whatever they are called) and a low speed setting. His assistant applied a "vitamin serum" to my face as he treated each area - supposedly to help the device glide over the skin. As long as the DermaPen is moving it doesn't hurt too much, BUT when the DermaPen stops for extra emphasis in certain areas it hurts ALOT. Fortunately the treatment goes pretty quickly.

There was not much blood and the little bleeding that there was stopped quickly. My face is red, but it was still red from the laser two weeks ago so I can't really tell the difference. The doc said the redness from the DermaPen usually goes away in anywhere between a few hours and a few days - depending on the person. He also suggested a follow up session in 3 to 4 weeks - I'll wait and see..

Hi Panda1, please let us know if you think you got good results from the Dermapen treatment. I am kind of surprised that the doctor did a Dermapen treatment just 2 weeks after a fractional laser session. I thought the thinking was to wait 4 to 6 weeks after. Thanks.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
Panda1 wrote:

There was not much blood and the little bleeding that there was stopped quickly. My face is red, but it was still red from the laser two weeks ago so I can't really tell the difference. The doc said the redness from the DermaPen usually goes away in anywhere between a few hours and a few days - depending on the person. He also suggested a follow up session in 3 to 4 weeks - I'll wait and see..

Hi Panda1, please let us know if you think you got good results from the Dermapen treatment. I am kind of surprised that the doctor did a Dermapen treatment just 2 weeks after a fractional laser session. I thought the thinking was to wait 4 to 6 weeks after. Thanks.

Cookie, I can't remember where I read it, but I did recently read a recommendation to dermaroll 2 weeks after a Fraxel treatment. I think it was to avoid some of the heat related fibrosis or something?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:

I should clarify - I only had the laser around my eyes and my mouth. Today the doc did the other areas with the pen - kinda looking to blend everything, but he did repeat the upper lip area. Not sure how I will be able to tell the results of one treatment from the other, and I am pouring on the Lifeline as well.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

Cookie, I can't remember where I read it, but I did recently read a recommendation to dermaroll 2 weeks after a Fraxel treatment. I think it was to avoid some of the heat related fibrosis or something?

Hi Bethany, if you come across the article where you saw that information please post the link. I would love to be able to do a roll after only 2 weeks if I was sure I wasn't doing more harm then good. Thanks.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:38 am      Reply with quote
Cookie, can you share why you are thinking of rolling, having done Reaura? I'm very unclear about what to do alongside the laser.. Not sure if it'd be suitable to do Stop treatments, either. Embarassed
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:41 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |