Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dermapen – value?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
What speed setting and needle length are people using the My-m on? I have read where Dr. F has said that when he uses the 3mm that the needles only go to 1.5 or 2.0mm deep. If someone wants the link I will try to find it but I looked today and couldn't but I am sure that I read were he said it. I also know that most of the collagen is formed in the first .5mm deep but I wonder if Dr. F needles are only going in half way or a little more and he is putting people under. How far are we really pushing these needles and does the Dermapen knockoffs eliminate this problem because it does the punching for you? Thanks for any help.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:37 am      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
What speed setting and needle length are people using the My-m on? I have read where Dr. F has said that when he uses the 3mm that the needles only go to 1.5 or 2.0mm deep. If someone wants the link I will try to find it but I looked today and couldn't but I am sure that I read were he said it. I also know that most of the collagen is formed in the first .5mm deep but I wonder if Dr. F needles are only going in half way or a little more and he is putting people under. How far are we really pushing these needles and does the Dermapen knockoffs eliminate this problem because it does the punching for you? Thanks for any help.

I'm using the highest speed as I find it the most comfortable.

I'm just presuming that the Dermapen is penetrating further than I can manually - just because it is automatic and fast - there is no thinking involved, therefore there is no hesitancy on my behalf.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:50 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
CookieD wrote:

I'm just presuming that the Dermapen is penetrating further than I can manually - just because it is automatic and fast - there is no thinking involved, therefore there is no hesitancy on my behalf.

Thanks Keliu. This is my thinking also. What needle length are you using?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
Keliu wrote:
CookieD wrote:

I'm using 1mm.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
Keliu wrote:
CookieD wrote:

I'm using 1mm.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:02 am      Reply with quote
Do you all switch between needle lengths depending on the type of treatment you are trying to attempt - eg. product penetration vs. PCI and you are you using a brand new needle each time?

I know for example, that my electrologist sold me my own needles which she keeps in a package in her office...they are mine and only used by me- so no issue of cross contamination.

BFG
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Do you all switch between needle lengths depending on the type of treatment you are trying to attempt - eg. product penetration vs. PCI and you are you using a brand new needle each time?

I know for example, that my electrologist sold me my own needles which she keeps in a package in her office...they are mine and only used by me- so no issue of cross contamination.

BFG

I have a lot of switching of needle lengths during my treatments. Each area gets multiple passes and often the needle lengths will vary with each pass.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
I used the My-m for the first time tonight and I love it. I think it is much easier to use because of the size of the needle head. I was using a Dermastamp under my eye area and a dermaroller on the rest of my face. Now I can just use one thing. Also being able to use different needle length in the same session is a real plus.

Another big plus is that I was able to use no numbing cream and I was fine. The only place for me that hurt some was my chin area and my hands a little. Those are the 2 areas that are somewhat boney so I am sure that is the reason. It was great to be able to move from one area to the next without taking a piece of plastic off then wiping down that area with alcohol. Much cleaner and faster.

A couple of things that I found different from the dermaroller was I did not bleed as much, but I still did draw blood. Especially if I just stamped in one place. Some people will view this as a positive. I think drawing blood is an important part of the equation. It could be that my skin is getting thicker so I am bleeding less in general. I don't know.

Also I had to be careful about sliding/dragging the pen on my skin. I found it harder to do the small circles that they show on the Dermapen video. I think the big difference is that they use HA on the skin while doing a treatment. I would think that helps a lot with "slip" on the skin. It is something I will check into doing myself next time. This time I mostly did horizontal then vertical lines. Then went back over the area in a stamping motion. This seemed to work pretty well. I did notice the pen "catching" on some higher area on my face like the top of my cheek bones. If you just pick up the pen and replace it back on the skin you are fine. Otherwise you might get that dragging on the skin.

I don't know how it will compare to collagen production vs the dermaroller but ease of use gets a A+ from me. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:47 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Cookie!

Mine is in the mail and I am anxious to try it...doing a TCA peel tonight - may be my last one of those for awhile.

BFG
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:24 am      Reply with quote
What is the concensus about cleaning/sterlizing the MyM?..and if it can only be used once, how do you find the cartridges that go with that particular model? I could not find any MyM cartidges on Ebay, although I did see some without an associated brandname. I haven't purchased MyM yet, but want to get all the parts or accessories off the get go!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:42 am      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
What is the concensus about cleaning/sterlizing the MyM?..and if it can only be used once, how do you find the cartridges that go with that particular model? I could not find any MyM cartidges on Ebay, although I did see some without an associated brandname. I haven't purchased MyM yet, but want to get all the parts or accessories off the get go!

Hi mountaingirl, I am going to use a new cartridge each time. I just think it is safer. I'm not sure how others feel.

Below is a link to a seller of cartridges. They don't say the are for the MY-m but in his write up it say these are suitable for the auto microroller which list in my account. If you look at his store he does sell the MY-m. Maybe to be sure you can email him before you purchase if you decide you want extra needles. You do have to buy a lot (40 needles). So it makes sense to try and split an order with someone else.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40pcs-Needle-Cartridge-Auto-Microroller-Motorized-Microneedle-Derma-Pen-/170995080301?pt=US_Skin_Care&hash=item27d019dc6d

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hi CookieD, Thanks for your review. I want to do a second roll, but the dread stops me from doing it. Hopefully, this device would take some of the dread of pushing needles into my face away. I saw pictures of one of your rolls and you seem to be fearless judging from all of the blood. I was wondering what depth you used to needle around your eyes. Were you concerned using the the pen in this area? Thanks. Smile
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
packratmack wrote:
Hi CookieD, Thanks for your review. I want to do a second roll, but the dread stops me from doing it. Hopefully, this device would take some of the dread of pushing needles into my face away. I saw pictures of one of your rolls and you seem to be fearless judging from all of the blood. I was wondering what depth you used to needle around your eyes. Were you concerned using the the pen in this area? Thanks. Smile

I was concerned about using it under my eye area. I kept having visions of the needles poking into my eyeball. I used several different depths on different passes.(.25, .5, .75.) I really think this will be easier for you to do and certainly less painful. I did have some ice and numbing cream standing by if I needed it. I think if you are more sensitive you could use either but I was able to get through it ok without anything. There were a couple spots that were sensitive but it's over pretty quick.

I don't know if my face is just getting adjusted or my skin thickening up or it's the Dermapen but you really couldn't tell I had done anything today but my skin is like a tank so your results may vary. I did do a old (20 years) spider bite that is on the left side of my kneecap. It looks like a chicken pox vaccine mark. It looks like a strawberry mark still (very red) but I really stamped the heck out of it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Mine arrived last night and I am sooo excited. What an easy transaction (eBay). Good price, fast shipping included with FedEx, etc.

Can't wait to read the inserts and get started.

BFG
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:22 am      Reply with quote
I'd like to be in on a split order for needle replacements !
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:31 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
I'd like to be in on a split order for needle replacements !

I just found out that the sale on the My-m I bought off Ebay, did not go through. So, until I get one, I won't buy the replacement cartridges. I will keep you abreast Catski! Are you in the US?

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
My eBay seller was segawe.com - very smooth and reasonable transaction.

I am in the US and also interested in splitting a needle order.

Thanks, BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:12 am      Reply with quote
I did a test run with my new My-M this morning on a section of my chin. I would have liked to do the whole face, but I am still in recovery mode from my last peel.

Wow...is what I have to say.

The first thing I noticed was how much less painful it was than rolling. I even dialed the needles up to make sure that wasn't causing the difference.
Within a couple minutes, my chin turned red and there were pinpricks of blood, so it was penetrating as advertised.

I need to be careful. I could get addicted to this, lol.

Thanks for turning me on to this.
Can't wait to use it for a full session and with topicals.

BFG
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:46 am      Reply with quote
Glad to hear it went so well with you Barefootgirl! I re-ordered the MyM and somehow may have ordered two! Shock I got two email confirmations from different sellers on Ebay. Very confusing!...so I may have one to sell as soon as they come in. Once I get it (them) I will want to buy the replacement cartridges, and maybe we can even split them 3 ways? Will keep you all posted.

bacchus
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
I'm very excited that I now have one of these on the way, as well. Thanks to the many informative posts here!

I, too, might be interested in getting in on a bulk buy of needles. I did find a website, alibaba .com, that has them, but I'm not sure exactly how their business model works. It seems to be many vendors (all in China?) all offering wholesale prices but for large quantities. I've never dealt with one of these types of sites before so am not too confident ....
but might be cheaper than eBay route ??
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:37 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I am in the UK, mountaingirl. I hope we three can figure out a cartridge share.

I did a second round of dermapen on abdominal stretch marks last week. Super easy. This time some of the area darkened and became shiny and sort of hardened.. then LOTS of peeling happened. So that was interesting. I've done more rolls on this area than I can keep count of, but not had this response before from my skin.

I'm very impressed with the pen. Wish I'd gotten more cartridges with it when I bought it!
packratmack
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
I have a MY-M on the way as well. It really sounds like it is going to be a great improvement over a roller. Would you still use the same pattern as you would with a manual roller? Maybe that's not necessary with this device because it's more precise.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
I did my first treatment last night and used the 1.5mm setting. I used numbing cream, and still found it to be a bit painful (especially on the upper lip). But the process as a whole was pretty quick. I did have some bruising this morning which was more diffuse than when I used a roller.

However, I am concerned because I bled MUCH less than usual, and Dr. Fernandes said he saw better results when bleeding took place. Even when I used a derma stamp I bled horribly...so why not with the My-M?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
I am concerned because I bled MUCH less than usual, and Dr. Fernandes said he saw better results when bleeding took place. Even when I used a derma stamp I bled horribly...so why not with the My-M?

I did bleed less with the My-m also but I do think I got a good "roll". I also think I got more holes in the skin then I do when I roll with the dermaroller. Not sure why I bled less. Could it be because our skin is getting thicker or more use to the needling?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
bethany wrote:
I am concerned because I bled MUCH less than usual, and Dr. Fernandes said he saw better results when bleeding took place. Even when I used a derma stamp I bled horribly...so why not with the My-M?

I did bleed less with the My-m also but I do think I got a good "roll". I also think I got more holes in the skin then I do when I roll with the dermaroller. Not sure why I bled less. Could it be because our skin is getting thicker or more use to the needling?

I don't think that is the case for me...I consistently bled horribly the whole 18 months I rolled before taking a 4 year break. And I have only rolled once before this treatment. (Or was it twice?). I was definitely puffy this morning so it did have an impact, but the lack of bleeding just bothers me.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |