Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dermapen – value?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:04 am      Reply with quote
Panda1 wrote:
CookieD wrote:

Panda, maybe I need a thicker HA or to use more of it. I only applied it to one section of my face at a time but still had to add more each section.

You might just try slathering it on. Hyaluronic acid can be super cheap. If you are a DIYer you can buy HA powder and mix it with distilled water to achieve optimal consistency. Even if you are not someone that does DIY, making a HA serum requires no skill and is very economical.

Thanks Panda, I did think about ordering some HA powder and making my own but my previous DIY projects have not been a success.

Does anyone know what the consistency of the HA should be? I just did any experiment on my hand with Aloe vs. HA. I put a blob on my hand of each and turned my hand sideways. The Aloe stayed in blob form in one place. The HA slid down my hand.
I guess my question is whether HA should be thicker like the Aloe Vera gel consistency.

Panda it is great that you are starting to see some improvement on the skin of your neck. I got some improvement on my lines on the neck with ReAura but could use some more help. I am hoping to help my under eye area, jowls and a scar on my upper cheek area which has been there forever but I kind of forgot about it because it was covered up by sun damage. Now that I have gotten rid of the sun damage with ReAura you can see it again. Fix one problem. Create another. Confused

Good luck Rebecca with the Dermapen. Did you ever do any rolls with a dermaroller? I am just interested in people's opinion on the 2 different options.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
I've only done one MY-M treatment and already see improvement. I am having a hard time believing that it could be swelling/inflammation because it's been a couple weeks now since I did the needling. I can actually see areas of my face that have "filled" in with new skin...my 11s for example.

I love this.

In my regimin, I alternate between topical vitamins and occasional hormone creams. The combination of needling and estriol does amazing things for my skin. I can tell because it looks the best right after applying the hormone based topical. Wow...I can actually see my skin respond, it's wild and you all know I am a big skeptic.

BFG
Rebecca1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:46 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I've only done one MY-M treatment and already see improvement. I am having a hard time believing that it could be swelling/inflammation because it's been a couple weeks now since I did the needling. I can actually see areas of my face that have "filled" in with new skin...my 11s for example.

I love this.

In my regimin, I alternate between topical vitamins and occasional hormone creams. The combination of needling and estriol does amazing things for my skin. I can tell because it looks the best right after applying the hormone based topical. Wow...I can actually see my skin respond, it's wild and you all know I am a big skeptic.

BFG

Wow thats fabulous. Would you mind sharing specifically which topicals you use...esp the hormone cream?

Congrats on such encouraging results. Cant wait to start with mine

Very Happy
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

I use hormone creams get prescribed by my doctor (search estradiol creams online for more info)...I think anyone considering should first discuss with their med professional..

If anyone here is interested in splitting a replacement needle order, please message me offline.

Thanks!
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:53 am      Reply with quote
I still have a brand new, still sealed in the package, MyM for sale. I accidently ordered two! PM me if you live in the US and are interested.....and I will throw in a few extra needle heads! Wink

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
havana8

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
adding this related post

grandmajuju wrote:
Keliu, what do you think of this micro-tearing controversy with the dermapen?( I can't post a link to the article on micro tearing of the skin, but if you google "dermapen microtearing" it's the first link)

I bought a knockoff dermapen on eBay per your recommendation before reading this article and now I'm too scared to use it. I apologize as I know this isn't the correct thread for this subject but I wasn't sure how else to get ahold of you as the dermapen thread is pretty old. Are you still using the device/ what have been your results?

Thank you

http://owndoc.com/dermarolling/dermapen-causes-skin-micro-tearing/
packratmack
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:14 am      Reply with quote
Wow, that is very unwelcome information in that owndoc article. I just got the MY-M. I'm still going to use it. Let the micro-tearing begin! My plan was to alternate between derma rolling and the pen.
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:28 am      Reply with quote
I think that the trick to avoiding the complication of micro-tearing is to use something like the hyaluronic acid serum to allow the pen to glide smoothly over the skin. DermaPen (the manufacturer) always shows applying a slippery serum (like HA) in their training videos and I suspect that is the reason.
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:22 am      Reply with quote
Do you think conductive gel would work - just asking because I have a ton left over from before I discovered the miracle of using glycerin with my ReAura.

What about Aloe Vera Gel? I am guessing sterility is the utmost concern, and it would be easy to just measure out an individual portion of conductive gel from the big container each time without contaminating anything.

Anyone?
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:32 am      Reply with quote
mismis wrote:
Do you think conductive gel would work - just asking because I have a ton left over from before I discovered the miracle of using glycerin with my ReAura.

What about Aloe Vera Gel? I am guessing sterility is the utmost concern, and it would be easy to just measure out an individual portion of conductive gel from the big container each time without contaminating anything.

Anyone?

I don't like the idea of conductive gel because I don't know what is in the stuff and you are definitely pushing it into your skin. But the aloe vera might be ok. I think the way Dermapen might be headed is to start pushing this idea of product penetration as part of the treatment so you get both slip for the pen and topically delivered actives, but that's just my guess and I am basing that from info read on the Dermapen website.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:54 am      Reply with quote
Panda1 wrote:
mismis wrote:

Anyone?

I don't like the idea of conductive gel because I don't know what is in the stuff and you are definitely pushing it into your skin. But the aloe vera might be ok. I think the way Dermapen might be headed is to start pushing this idea of product penetration as part of the treatment so you get both slip for the pen and topically delivered actives, but that's just my guess and I am basing that from info read on the Dermapen website.

I don't like the idea of using conductive either mostly for the same reasons Panda gives. The aloe gel might be a substitute but a lot of times ( depending on the brand) it can have different ingredients you don't want to push into you skin. There is also the subject of inflammation. If your of the mind that you don't want anything to interfere with this, aloe which helps calm inflammation probably is not the product your looking for. I like the idea of using HA because its in your body already. Dermapen uses it and fillers are made of it. I think that speaks to it's safety profile and gives me insurances that it won't hurt my skin or body while being needled in.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:07 am      Reply with quote
Thanks - guess I'll be placing an order sometime today for HA serum.
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
Panda1 wrote:
I think that the trick to avoiding the complication of micro-tearing is to use something like the hyaluronic acid serum to allow the pen to glide smoothly over the skin. DermaPen (the manufacturer) always shows applying a slippery serum (like HA) in their training videos and I suspect that is the reason.

I dont own a dermapen but from my understanding, I dont think micro tearing can be prevented by increasing the slip.. MT results because the needles are either going in or coming out at the v point one is gliding the pen over the skin and one has to glide the pen even if the slip is better, unless of course one chooses to stamp... but I may be wrong...
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
I dont own a dermapen but from my understanding, I dont think micro tearing can be prevented by increasing the slip.. MT results because the needles are either going in or coming out at the v point one is gliding the pen over the skin and one has to glide the pen even if the slip is better, unless of course one chooses to stamp... but I may be wrong...

I don't know what to say about this. The Dermapen people sort of dismiss it as an issue. I would think that if there was a lot of micro tearing going on that there would be more blood, more inflammation and a longer healing time than with the roller, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I would also think that there might be the appearance of track marks following a treatment, but that doesn't seem to be the case either. I do see the logic behind the argument that there will be tearing, but so far I haven't seen it in practice. Maybe it has something to do with the speed of the needles piercing the skin? But, I do think that adding the slip from the HA makes sense and that it might help to reduce the tearing.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
Like many of you here, I have used and own both devices. I will continue to own and use both.

Logically speaking, it seems to me that the roller does more skin "tearing" due to the fact that it drags across the skin.
I found that the Dermapen knock off seems more like an automated stamp than an automated roller. That said, I have given up on the idea that it will ever glide across the skin when I use it and any topicals I use while "auto-stamping" are the ones I want to go into the skin channels.
I think the reason that the Dermapen video shows the device gliding across the skin, is because they have it set on the lowest setting in those training videos, so it is barely pricking the skin.

I had a professional Dermapen treatment and then I did my own at home. The professional treatment included a gliding across the skin. My own treatment involved the needles punching into the skin, with minute amounts of blood drawn.
My educated guess is that only my own treatment will induce any collagen.

BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
Also, with a commercial site such as owndoc, you have to consider what dog they have in the fight. The article claims they are losing money by not selling pens and that is probably a true statement - but could it not also be true that they would lose money if they offered them, since it would potentially cannibalize their roller business?

Since the pens are mostly considered for use by professionals, there might also be a problem there for the site to sell devices directly to consumers - much the same problem that happens when online beauty sites attempt to sell grey market professional hair dyes, etc.

Just my off the cuff thoughts...

BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:45 am      Reply with quote
I just had a second thought here...the toughest parts of my face for me to endure are around my eyes and forehead...

From a time perspective, it might make more sense to use the pen on those areas and a roller on the cheeks where I don't have a problem....

maybe I will try that next time.

BFG
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
Will be ordering needle cartridges today, and just as a matter of interest how often do they need to be replaced? My only experience with needles is insulin syringes, and they are toast after one single injection.

Will one cartridge do a whole face? Face & neck?

I suppose it is academic; one has to purchase such large quantities that even the smallest amount I am able to order will probably last a good long time.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
mismis wrote:
Will be ordering needle cartridges today, and just as a matter of interest how often do they need to be replaced? My only experience with needles is insulin syringes, and they are toast after one single injection.

Will one cartridge do a whole face? Face & neck?

I suppose it is academic; one has to purchase such large quantities that even the smallest amount I am able to order will probably last a good long time.

Hi mismis, for me a single cartridge has been able to do face, neck, chest and hands with no problems. I think some people are reusing them but I have chosen not to do that.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you very much.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:15 am      Reply with quote
I just saw a listing on eBay where you only need to buy 12 at a time for $9.

Interestingly, on eBay, these devices are called "auto stampers" - which is different than the original Dermapen action of gliding or rolling across the skin.

This kind of goes back to my earlier point about the expected pattern to use these on the face.

BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:39 am      Reply with quote
Interesting review of the Dermapen, confirming what we've discussed here... I wonder if she posts here?
the sneezing sounds familiar!

http://gouldyloxreviews.blogspot.com/2013/04/my-dermapen-experience-at-faces-med-spa.html

BFG
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, What is MY-M? Thank you.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I just saw a listing on eBay where you only need to buy 12 at a time for $9.

Interestingly, on eBay, these devices are called "auto stampers" - which is different than the original Dermapen action of gliding or rolling across the skin.

This kind of goes back to my earlier point about the expected pattern to use these on the face.

BFG

Do you have a link for that?

I did see one for $9, but it was for one cartridge which has 12 needles in it (they all do, I think for the My-M). I wish there were an easier way to search for these!!

Thanks!
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Mars wrote:
Hi, What is MY-M? Thank you.

It is a Dermapen knockoff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/freeshipping-Auto-Microroller-Motorized-My-M-microneedle-derma-pen-/281087228480?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms
=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.
FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%
3D6736275503921792650%26pid%3D100011%
26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D281079582309%26

Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |