Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dermapen – value?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:53 pm      Reply with quote
I find the fastest speed much more comfortable to use - you get more "bounce" with the slower speeds. Also, I think it's important not to press the device down on the skin. Just let the device do the work. When using the highest speed and less pressure, you will find it possible to glide the device over the skin.

Note: collagen induction starts around a needle length of 0.05mm. Much of the research states that it is not necessary to go to a needle length of 2mm - I think 1-1.5mm is adequate for home needling.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I find the fastest speed much more comfortable to use - you get more "bounce" with the slower speeds. Also, I think it's important not to press the device down on the skin. Just let the device do the work. When using the highest speed and less pressure, you will find it possible to glide the device over the skin.

Note: collagen induction starts around a needle length of 0.05mm. Much of the research states that it is not necessary to go to a needle length of 2mm - I think 1-1.5mm is adequate for home needling.

thanks for the tip!

makes sense

ugh! i should have tried the faster speed but there was blood all over the place and it was my first time and i wanted it DONE! if you know what i mean.

i think you are correct re: needle length
it does depend on how deep (in my case) the scar you are treating is

1-1.5mm is deep enough to pierce the dermis layer and induce scar formation in certain areas; that is true

i can't wait to try the faster speed next round

also to do a GLIDE at a low length on my nose
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:01 am      Reply with quote
Agreed on the highest speed. The device is easier to navigate on the skin.

BFG
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:09 am      Reply with quote
I'm actually quite pleased to see that Owndoc is planning to offer a knockoff product. It sort of validates the technology (since she is the only one that I have come across so far that has anything negative to say about the device).

I am just crazy about the Dermapen. I've had six treatments so far and I have never been disappointed. My lip lines are really beginning to fade and the skin on my neck has substantially improved. IMHO the pen is far more effective than the roller with much less discomfort, and the pen has the added benefit of being able to change settings on the fly. You'd have to have five different rollers with lengths ranging from .25 to 2.0mm to get the same effect. The only downside of that pen - maybe - is that since it covers a smaller surface it takes a bit longer to do the treatment. As you can see, I'm a big fan of this device.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:47 am      Reply with quote
Panda- are you going to get more treatments or just stop at 6 for now?

I agree with Panda on all the pluses of the Dermapen/My-m. Less pain, being able to change the depth of the needles. I also like that I can just throw away the needle cartridge after I use it. I did that with my dermaroller also but felt guilty about it. The needles are pretty cheap so I don't feel as bad. I am not saying anyone else has to do this but I just liked the extra caution.

It does take me longer to do a treatment because of the small needle head size and because I do a lot more stamping motion with the My-m then the dermaroller.

Does anyone else think that you are getting a lot more needle holes in your skin with the Dermapen?
I know the head size is a lot smaller then a roller but it goes so fast. It would be interesting if there was a study on this. Maybe someone studying transdermal medicine delivery would look into it. I would think they would like that the needles are disposable and that you can control how many punch holes there are. So it would be more standardized.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
WOW!! I watched a Dermapen being used today and it was fabulous!!! We use the medical grade Dermapen and we can set the needles from
.5 - 2.5. The glide product helps a lot and there was a lot of blood. I get to do it on another esthetician on Thursday and I am excited.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
Panda- are you going to get more treatments or just stop at 6 for now?

Cookie, I'm not planning to stop the treatments (EVER!!). To date I've spaced them about four weeks apart. I will probably continue on the four week schedule for several more months and then move to a six week schedule and ultimately to an eight week schedule, but I see no reason to stop. With the laser stuff I was always concerned about melting fat, but the needling just seems so much more natural in terms of a way to increase collagen and also product penetration.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:39 am      Reply with quote
I did my second treatment last night with the My-M and I have arrived, somewhat at some new conclusions.

First, that the pen is not a direct replacement for the roller. I plan to keep using them both and for different purposes - but together, they improve the whole process.

Last night, I used the pen around my eyes and the corners of my face around my lips and nose where the roller doesn't reach or "bend" well. This was perfect and fast. Using the fastest speed and longest needle length, I developed a "mist" of blood all over my face.
I used my 1.5 mm roller over the broad areas of my face (cheeks and neck and backs of hands). Lots of blood drawn, but not a mist, rather large droplets in random places. I move fast so as to avoid "dragging" the roller.
This time, for the first time ever, after I wiped away the numbing cream, I applied my vitamin serum and "rolled" or "stamped" it in while working over my face. It seems like over time, I keep reading references indicating that the holes/channels close more quickly than I previously thought.
After completing all sections, I washed my skin thoroughly with the tea tree wash, then covered it with more vitamin oil, then a cool mask to occlude everything and went to sleep.
This morning I woke up with lots of swelling, but I suppose this is normal.
With my next treatment, I plan to concentrate on stamping directly over any lines on my face - such as the 11s, to concentrate in those areas.
I think the ideal thing would be automated stampers in two sizes. The one we currently have for part of the face and one with a larger "footprint" for wide areas of skin.

Onward, BFG
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
Update on my nose! I have managed to eradicate the broken caps at the sides of my nose after three treatments.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:

I keep reading references indicating that the holes/channels close more quickly than I previously thought.

Hi BFG, I don't know if you saw this study I posted in another thread but it has pretty compelling evidence that the channels stay open for a lot longer then first thought.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3160154/

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Update on my nose! I have managed to eradicate the broken caps at the sides of my nose after three treatments.

That's great Keliu.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:05 am      Reply with quote
Keliu that's great. I wasn't sure if it was effective on broken caps.

If anyone can help with an issue:
I've decided I am going to get the a automated derma stamp. My roller came, I used it once and the second time I used it I swear the needles hurt more, like a particular needle, maybe a needle has bent already ...Ugh!! So I've decided to try this derma stamp, as there is an advantage over the disposable needle heads.

The link provided before of one on sale via eBay has sold but I have found a couple other sellers of a similar Chinese product. I'm hoping they are good, and the needles good at least. However for future reference are most of these needles sold on eBay compatible with this Chinese Mym product or should I just stick with the same seller?

This is the one I'm thinking of : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380622855899&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Does it look okay? I'm very nervous I'll get a totally different product . They seem to get good eBay feedback and rating. Confused
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:55 am      Reply with quote
dionie wrote:
Keliu that's great. I wasn't sure if it was effective on broken caps.

If anyone can help with an issue:
I've decided I am going to get the a automated derma stamp. My roller came, I used it once and the second time I used it I swear the needles hurt more, like a particular needle, maybe a needle has bent already ...Ugh!! So I've decided to try this derma stamp, as there is an advantage over the disposable needle heads.

The link provided before of one on sale via eBay has sold but I have found a couple other sellers of a similar Chinese product. I'm hoping they are good, and the needles good at least. However for future reference are most of these needles sold on eBay compatible with this Chinese Mym product or should I just stick with the same seller?

This is the one I'm thinking of : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380622855899&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Does it look okay? I'm very nervous I'll get a totally different product . They seem to get good eBay feedback and rating. Confused

I'm not exactly sure what you're worried about - the MyM model needle pen is manufactured in China, that is the one that most of us are purchasing. The brand name DermaPen is significantly more expensive.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks keliu,
I suppose I'm worried I'll get something different to what you all have gotten or that the needle catridges may be a little difficult to find. As long as all these ones on ebay use the same catridges then I shouldn't be worried, I suppose. Just don't want to get something I cant buy catridges for in the future or doesn't work as well as the real thing. But you're right, the fact you all use it here gives me heaps of confidence so thank you. Im just a worrywart Embarassed Sad

I'm now waiting for a reply from the seller and will be purchasing for sure. Im hoping it will also help with my broken caps, only time will tell.
TY
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
I think I'd be safe in saying that the MyM sold on Ebay would be the same model, no matter which seller you purchase from. The MyM is a knock-off of the much more expensive (and probably superior) DermaPen - but IMO the MyM is perfectly fine for our home-use treatments.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
I am just crazy enough about skincare to want to go to this conference in June:

http://www.iecsc.com/las-vegas

Check out the schedule - Dr. Setterfield is giving a presentation on his latest needling research.

Also, there is a Vitamin C presentation and so many other fascinating (IMO!) topics and presenters and exhibitors.

I would probably end up asking too many questions and driving the audiences crazy. You guys know how I am, lol.

But seriously, I might actually enjoy this, lol.

BFG

oh! PS Cookie - that article you posted was sooo interesting, thanks for that.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
That spa expo website has lots of interesting info, check out this needling device:

http://www.dermatude.com/f-a-q/

There are lots of different devices. I went out on the web to look around - suddenly needling is the new hot thing. Looks like they overcame the fear that it would eat into the laser business.
Gosh, I remember when Bethany first started posting about it...wow we have come a long, long way since!
BFG
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
I recently bought a 1.5 derma stamp to use on my acne scars and they are so much easier to use than the rollers. I didnt use any numbing cream but the pain was tolerable. I got more blood from stamping than rolling.
Just wondering how does the derma pen work?
Is it like an automated dermastamp? Like do you put the pen on your skin and drag across the other areas of ur face? I am havign a hard time visualing it. lol
Because it's automated Im kinda afraid it will go too fast. not sure if I should try this or just stick to stamping manually.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
The Dermapen has either 11 or 17 needles and they move up and down pretty fast. You can adjust the speed, imagine a sewing machine needle - but lots and on your face or body!

I did a girl's C-section scar and stretch marks today. I can't wait to see how it looks tomorrow. I worked on an area from hip to hip and some of the Dermapen serum (HA) dried up while I was working. When it dried and got tacky, there was so much less glide. I think it is very important to use something for slip.

I used 2.5 depth and kept the speed at 3 (out of 10).

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:38 am      Reply with quote
I did my eyelids last night for the first time ever using the My-M and wow, using even a shorter needle setting, they still sting this morning. That area is sensitive.

I've always used my roller in the past on dry skin, but with the pen, I make sure I have something liquid on my skin to help the pen move across it.

It dawned on me last night (sometimes I am slow) why needling is a hot topic at these medspa conferences - it can be performed more easily by more staff without extensive training and financial investment, unlike big laser machines in derm offices. Needling really is a good fit for the medspa business - especially since many won't be self torturing like we do lol.

BFG
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:31 am      Reply with quote
How much eyelid do you do, brave girl? I hope just under the eyebrow. Even thinking about any lower makes me queasy. Smile

Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
faeriedust wrote:
I recently bought a 1.5 derma stamp to use on my acne scars and they are so much easier to use than the rollers. I didnt use any numbing cream but the pain was tolerable. I got more blood from stamping than rolling.
Just wondering how does the derma pen work?
Is it like an automated dermastamp? Like do you put the pen on your skin and drag across the other areas of ur face? I am havign a hard time visualing it. lol
Because it's automated Im kinda afraid it will go too fast. not sure if I should try this or just stick to stamping manually.

you can use it as either
stamp or glide

see this video
16 minutes but watch till the end
the demonstration shows use as an AUTOMATED STAMP
at longer needle lengths towards the end

since i am new and cannot post links to outside websites,

go to youtube
copy and paste this description:
Dermapen Training Instructional Video private

it is the first video after the advertisements
it is 16:05 minutes
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:06 am      Reply with quote
Under the eyebrow and a little bit on the crease area - wow, probably won't do that again - it stings.

I need to report that one of my 11 lines is really fading after 3 pen treatments in the past 4 months....I am so happy about this.

I stopped getting Botox for that area, so its good to know there are effective alternatives.

BFG
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Under the eyebrow and a little bit on the crease area - wow, probably won't do that again - it stings.

I need to report that one of my 11 lines is really fading after 3 pen treatments in the past 4 months....I am so happy about this.

I stopped getting Botox for that area, so its good to know there are effective alternatives.

BFG

Wow that's great. I've only used my derma stamp on a scar on my forearm two times (just the manual one for now until my Mym 'copy' arrives) and so far my scar is fading. Can't believe it, so I'm really believing in this method.

May I ask do you (or anyone) use different settings on different parts of the face with this device? That video link above certainly recommends that but just wanted to see what every one's doing on the neck, chin, nose or bonier areas (such as forehead or orbital eye area).
TY Smile
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:32 am      Reply with quote
The Dermapen people suggest lower settings around the eyes and forehead (.25-.5). Most of you ladies are much more aggressive than they suggest!

Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:34 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |