Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dermapen – value?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:26 am      Reply with quote
It's pretty much a forgone conclusion that I will be purchasing one of these soon, but I wanted to also share a video I recently found on YouTube which addresses some of my earlier questions as to why the Dermapen is alleged to produce same or better results than the roller with less irritation and reduced bleeding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpfaRuc0n6Y&feature=youtu.be

BFG
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:56 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
Cookie, can you share why you are thinking of rolling, having done Reaura? I'm very unclear about what to do alongside the laser.. Not sure if it'd be suitable to do Stop treatments, either. Embarassed

Hi Catski, There are some doctors who think that laser treatments (because of the heating of the skin) are not as good as dermarolling. I don't have the links but I know it has been talked about on EDS before. So just to cover all my bases I am going to do both things. I am just about to finish my second round with the ReAura and I will wait 6 weeks and either do a dermaroll at home or try a Dermapen treatment at my dermatologist. That will also give my face some "down time" from the laser. Although both Tria and ReAura say it is fine to do a series of treatments after waiting 4 weeks between the last round. I like to take a more cautious approach.

I have read that doing both LED and microcurrent along with the laser treatment is good but I'm not sure about the stop (either good or bad)

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
I had my consultation today for Dermapen treatment. It went very quickly...basically, the derm just looked over my skin, explained a few things and introduced me to the aesthetician who will perform it.

The needle length depends on area of face to be needled. I explained that 1mm seems to be minimum length to achieve collagen induction and neither disagreed with me except to mention that perhaps 1mm is not necessary for skin under the eyes..
I am going to undergo the treatment next week. I asked which topicals they use and they recommend Lifeline stem cell products.
I will use Environ.

Thanks, BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:58 am      Reply with quote
I just returned from my first Dermapen treatment.

The first thing they did was cleanse my face with a cleansing gel. The esthetician then applied BLT numbing cream which is similar to EMLA. I read a magazine and waited about 30 minutes for her to return. She wiped off the numbing cream, then cleaned my face again with rubbing alcohol, then began to needle my face with the Dermapen. It only hurt on the forehead, no pain or discomfort at all around the rest of my face. It is a different sensation than rolling.
With rolling, wherever the EMLA has not thoroughly numbed the skin, I feel sharp pricks. Not so with the Dermapen. The sensation is more like deep, dull jabs. It was strange because I could feel it - so obviously this other numbing cream doesn't remove sensation like EMLA, but what I did feel was less painful (does that make sense?).

Although I asked her to needle more closely to my eyes, she did not feel comfortably doing so. I am one of their first patients for the Dermapen, so perhaps they are being conservative. I am not sure sure.
She moved fast and steady across my face horizontally, then vertically. As she finished one area of the face, I noticed that area feeling hot, until finally my whole face was hot. When she finished, she applied a topical hyaluronic acid product from Neocutis. Of course, I ran straight home and applied the Environ vitamin oil instead.
My face is still pink, but fading. I have no discomfort whatsoever. I checked around, but saw no blood on the instrument or latex gloves or anywhere at all.

I am not likely to return for another treatment, but only because I like the idea of having my own equipment where I can control needle length and application. I will make my purchasing decision in the next several days.
I can easily see using the Dermapen on myself and it taking far less time and mess than the rollers.

I suppose one could do a cost analysis on the price of the rollers vs. one of these units based on expected life of each.

I did notice when I applied the oil to my face that my face was beginning to slough a little, which I think is typical and happens as well with rolling. I suspect I have created deeper skin channels with the rollers than she did today with the pen, but...if I had the pen myself, I could do that as well (I think).

BFG
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
I had my second dermapen treatment today. Pretty different experience from the first – maybe it was the numbing cream Very Happy She used a needle length ranging from .5 to 1.5, with the .5 being mainly for my forehead, and the 1.5 for my upper lip and chin. I am nowhere near as red as I was after the first treatment, although I did bleed a bit mostly around my lower face.

I told the aesthetician that performed the treatment about how brutal the first treatment was and she said that wasn’t really necessary and that the more aggressive treatments are meant for dealing with scars and very tough skin (anything above a 1.5mm).

She was very positive about the growth factor products (she uses Neocutis) and said that Dermapen will be coming out with their own growth factor product to be used during treatments. She also said that Dermapen may be coming out with a home unit, but she didn’t know when that might be. Lastly, she offered to put me in touch with a doctor that does the dermapen/PRP treatment, but I have mixed feelings about that. My stem cells are old so it seems to me that I am better off with using younger growth factors.

By the way, first treatment (performed by a doctor) cost $400. This treatment was $250.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:

Keliu, you could always try it out on an area you didn't use the ReAura on. I don't know if you were doing all the different areas at once.

Well, at the moment I'm doing chest, neck and face. But Toby told me that she's been dermarolling her lip before doing her Tria treatment. I actually find the top lip quite difficult to treat with the ReAura - it's hard to maintain the green light. So that's why I think I'll try out the top lip with the DermaPen - I also want to see if it's less painful than dermarolling.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:32 am      Reply with quote
I've done my first upper lip treatment. Just to reiterate, I purchased the My-M on Ebay for $165.00 - it is exactly identical the model sold by Bellaire for $500.00.
http://www.bellaireindustry.com/microneedle.html

It came with two sterilized needle heads. The heads look relatively flimsy - which is fair enough because they're supposed to be used only once. Of course, I will be reusing them.

The device has five speed levels, all shown by different coloured lights (very efficient) and the needle length is to be varied whilst the device is switched on. One minor complaint, you practically need a magnifying glass to see the needle lengths marked on the screw head.

I applied some numbing cream for half an hour then chose a needle length of 1.5mm. I started off on the slowest speed and then increased up to the fastest. I think the fastest was more tolerable - although, I have to say, it was really quite painful. I know that there are allot of nerve endings in the upper lip, so it is always really unpleasant to treat with any device. Anyway, this hurt more than a thought it would. I also produced quite a few pin pricks of blood and was bleeding quite profusely in some spots. However, it should be remembered that I've nearly completed my sixteen treatments with the ReAura Laser and my skin is extra sensitive. Because of that reason, I can't see myself doing a whole face treatment for a while - but I think I'll battle on with the lip lines.

I'm definitely happy with the device. I can't see that spending allot of money on the more expensive models would be worth it - but then, I haven't used one to compare this one with.

I am thinking that this device might deliver better results than a roller - it's pretty brutal!

ETA: The device just operates from a chord and plug - which is great because I'm sick of the whole recharging thing - the cord is also nice and long.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:01 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

Keliu, can you share which seller you purchased from? I am getting ready to purchase one myself.

I purchased from purplecrystal2008 - but there are other sellers who have them for less.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:48 am      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
bethany wrote:
I just ordered a My-m for $100 on eBay. We'll see how I like it!

Please tell us how you like it and how you think it compares to a dermaroller after you get a chance to use it. Thanks.

Will do!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
Bethany, did it come with extra needle heads? Thank you

It came with a total of 2 needle heads.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:07 am      Reply with quote
I bought a my- m dermapen from ebay for Ł100. I did a VERY extensive roll on stretchmarks, abdominal. I did a lot of rolling because it just didn't really hurt. And I have rolled a lot with all depths of needles in the past. With this I got the most thorough roll I have ever managed. Blood spots and about a week of reddened skin. I did this about 6 weeks ago. I am quite takenaback at the level of effectiveness of the roll, and how easy it was. I wish I'd been able to get hold of this pen years ago.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
I used the My-m for the first time tonight and I love it. I think it is much easier to use because of the size of the needle head. I was using a Dermastamp under my eye area and a dermaroller on the rest of my face. Now I can just use one thing. Also being able to use different needle length in the same session is a real plus.

Another big plus is that I was able to use no numbing cream and I was fine. The only place for me that hurt some was my chin area and my hands a little. Those are the 2 areas that are somewhat boney so I am sure that is the reason. It was great to be able to move from one area to the next without taking a piece of plastic off then wiping down that area with alcohol. Much cleaner and faster.

A couple of things that I found different from the dermaroller was I did not bleed as much, but I still did draw blood. Especially if I just stamped in one place. Some people will view this as a positive. I think drawing blood is an important part of the equation. It could be that my skin is getting thicker so I am bleeding less in general. I don't know.

Also I had to be careful about sliding/dragging the pen on my skin. I found it harder to do the small circles that they show on the Dermapen video. I think the big difference is that they use HA on the skin while doing a treatment. I would think that helps a lot with "slip" on the skin. It is something I will check into doing myself next time. This time I mostly did horizontal then vertical lines. Then went back over the area in a stamping motion. This seemed to work pretty well. I did notice the pen "catching" on some higher area on my face like the top of my cheek bones. If you just pick up the pen and replace it back on the skin you are fine. Otherwise you might get that dragging on the skin.

I don't know how it will compare to collagen production vs the dermaroller but ease of use gets a A+ from me. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:42 am      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
What is the concensus about cleaning/sterlizing the MyM?..and if it can only be used once, how do you find the cartridges that go with that particular model? I could not find any MyM cartidges on Ebay, although I did see some without an associated brandname. I haven't purchased MyM yet, but want to get all the parts or accessories off the get go!

Hi mountaingirl, I am going to use a new cartridge each time. I just think it is safer. I'm not sure how others feel.

Below is a link to a seller of cartridges. They don't say the are for the MY-m but in his write up it say these are suitable for the auto microroller which list in my account. If you look at his store he does sell the MY-m. Maybe to be sure you can email him before you purchase if you decide you want extra needles. You do have to buy a lot (40 needles). So it makes sense to try and split an order with someone else.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40pcs-Needle-Cartridge-Auto-Microroller-Motorized-Microneedle-Derma-Pen-/170995080301?pt=US_Skin_Care&hash=item27d019dc6d

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Mars wrote:
Hi, What is MY-M? Thank you.

It is a Dermapen knockoff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/freeshipping-Auto-Microroller-Motorized-My-M-microneedle-derma-pen-/281087228480?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms
=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.
FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%
3D6736275503921792650%26pid%3D100011%
26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D281079582309%26

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:23 am      Reply with quote
I'm on a "rest period" from the ReAura Laser so I am now going to do a further six MyM treatments - did my first one last Wednesday - so much for the "rest"!!!

I have to say that I'm loving this device - so much better than a manual roller. As for the skin tearing issue - I haven't found this to be a problem at all. I use the device on the highest speed and I find that there's no significant dragging. I apply Emla and cover with cling wrap, leave for one hour, wipe off and then apply HA. I treat the face for as much as I can stand. My Wednesday treatment was pretty intense - quite bloody and red afterwards. Next morning still a little "sore" with some needle marks but most of the redness had dissipated. Today I'm pretty much back to normal.

Between the ReAura and the MyM I feel that I'm doing the very best for my skin. I believe I'm really starting to see results - my daughter was here last week and she says she can see an enormous improvement in skin texture and tone.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Received my "MyM" yesterday and tried it last night. Tried it firstly on my hands and arms, firstly without any topical and then with aloe vera gel (bc my HA has not arrived yet). Worked brilliantly with the gel. I cant beleive what an improvement this is on regular rolling. Not painless but very doable without any numbing. I was so inspired by how easy it was, I also did my forehead and around my eyes. Previously with a roller I could almost not bear to do my forehead..but this was easy (on 1.5). A few blood spots here and there but no major bleeding.

Looking forward to results!
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:09 am      Reply with quote
I'm actually quite pleased to see that Owndoc is planning to offer a knockoff product. It sort of validates the technology (since she is the only one that I have come across so far that has anything negative to say about the device).

I am just crazy about the Dermapen. I've had six treatments so far and I have never been disappointed. My lip lines are really beginning to fade and the skin on my neck has substantially improved. IMHO the pen is far more effective than the roller with much less discomfort, and the pen has the added benefit of being able to change settings on the fly. You'd have to have five different rollers with lengths ranging from .25 to 2.0mm to get the same effect. The only downside of that pen - maybe - is that since it covers a smaller surface it takes a bit longer to do the treatment. As you can see, I'm a big fan of this device.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:39 am      Reply with quote
I did my second treatment last night with the My-M and I have arrived, somewhat at some new conclusions.

First, that the pen is not a direct replacement for the roller. I plan to keep using them both and for different purposes - but together, they improve the whole process.

Last night, I used the pen around my eyes and the corners of my face around my lips and nose where the roller doesn't reach or "bend" well. This was perfect and fast. Using the fastest speed and longest needle length, I developed a "mist" of blood all over my face.
I used my 1.5 mm roller over the broad areas of my face (cheeks and neck and backs of hands). Lots of blood drawn, but not a mist, rather large droplets in random places. I move fast so as to avoid "dragging" the roller.
This time, for the first time ever, after I wiped away the numbing cream, I applied my vitamin serum and "rolled" or "stamped" it in while working over my face. It seems like over time, I keep reading references indicating that the holes/channels close more quickly than I previously thought.
After completing all sections, I washed my skin thoroughly with the tea tree wash, then covered it with more vitamin oil, then a cool mask to occlude everything and went to sleep.
This morning I woke up with lots of swelling, but I suppose this is normal.
With my next treatment, I plan to concentrate on stamping directly over any lines on my face - such as the 11s, to concentrate in those areas.
I think the ideal thing would be automated stampers in two sizes. The one we currently have for part of the face and one with a larger "footprint" for wide areas of skin.

Onward, BFG
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:

I keep reading references indicating that the holes/channels close more quickly than I previously thought.

Hi BFG, I don't know if you saw this study I posted in another thread but it has pretty compelling evidence that the channels stay open for a lot longer then first thought.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3160154/

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
I think I'd be safe in saying that the MyM sold on Ebay would be the same model, no matter which seller you purchase from. The MyM is a knock-off of the much more expensive (and probably superior) DermaPen - but IMO the MyM is perfectly fine for our home-use treatments.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
I just had training with the DermaPen rep and he gave me good information. First, the longer the needles, the faster the speed needs to be. And basically, you can't over treat. Keep adding serum to keep things smooth.

So .5 on forehead can be 3-4 on speed. AND not what I did on Thursday, 2.5 at speed 3.

And you can get super close to the eyes. Underneath, you can almost to the lash line! Above the eye, you can go under the brows. I had no idea.

I did a 25 year old girl with acne scars today and did .5-1 almost everywhere and then went over her cheeks with 2.0 and speed of 7.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
Here you go BFG. I found it on Amazon. You can read the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=skincool
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:49 am      Reply with quote
I purchased the ice roller with steel head. Will report back - plan to use it maybe more with peels than needling....

BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 13, 2013 9:40 am      Reply with quote
I found this article on the Dermapen, from Dr. Tony Chu's experience, to be informative. As disclosure, I do believe he is somehow affiliated with the Dermapen company.

Anyway, it was his comments on the 6 week cycle that I most honed in on, although I find the last sentence in his response to be somewhat confusing.

Appreciate any other thoughts on what he has to say:

http://goarticles.com/article/Professor-Chu-Study-on-the-Dermapen/6839514/

BFG
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
trigger wrote:
Hypodermic needles are hollow, and do blunt very quickly. Roller needles are a completely different design. I only used my roller twice, and but it was just as sharp the second time. Not that I think Sarah Vaughtner is the most reliable source, but even she, a seller of rollers says they will stay sharp for a year. Now, I am not suggesting this, nor have I tried. But they can not be compared to a hypodermic needle. Totally different things.

I posted some detailed info on this a very long time ago in the dermarolling articles thread. The longer the needles, the more quickly they become dull due to electrical vibrations that take place during rolling.

For the most part, with the exception of the very short needles, rollers of .5mm or longer are designed to be used one time. That could have changed over time, but I would want to see some documentation to that effect from someone who is not a reseller.

Here is a statement I found from the Journal of Cutaneous and Aesthetic Surgery:

Quote:
The standard dermaroller used for acne scars is a drum-shaped roller studded with 192 fine microneedles in eight rows, 0.5-1.5 mm in length and 0.1 mm in diameter. The microneedles are synthesized by reactive ion etching techniques on silicon or medical-grade stainless steel. The instrument is presterilized by gamma irradiation. Medical dermarollers are for single use only.
Home-Care dermarollers less than 0.15 mm in length are available for transdermal delivery of substances like lipopeptides and other anti-ageing products. They can be used twice a week for up to one hundred times.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2918341/

This article is not related to reuse, but contains some interesting info on penetration of flat needle tools (like stamps or dermapens) vs cylindrical needle tools, and it said velocity is also a factor. I'll look it over when I have some free time.

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/222049179_Skin_penetration_enhancement_by_a_microneedle_device_%28Dermaroller%29_in_vitro_Dependency_on_needle_size_and_applied_formulation/file/d912f50e80bfe4a3ab.pdf

Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |