Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dermapen – value?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:10 am      Reply with quote
Hopefully soon bethany! I'll wait for your review.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:

I'll keep you posted!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
I was looking through some old dermarolling articles that Bethany posted and noticed this. Basically it says the 1.5mm narrow roller penetrates deeper because of the smaller number of needles compared to a regular roller. Since the Dermapen also has a lot fewer needles then a regular roller do you think that the needle go deeper or not because they a still close together vs a 3 line roller where the needles are more spread out? So the 3 line would create a different pressure point.

In the case of the dermaroller M8-1,5-30° [1.5mm narrow roller] possesses only half the number of needles as the other dermarollers. Because of the different rolling characteristics and due to the higher pressure of a single needle at similar pressure on the dermaroller, the penetration depth of a single needle will be higher. This notion is supported by the experimental findings: the drug deposition in stratum corneum was less as compared to the other derma roller as the number of needles are only half and hence also the half numbers holes in this case. However, the drug deposition in the deeper layer of the skin was at maximum of all the dermarollers (i.e. 2.35 times more as compared to the control experiment), because the complete perforation of the stratum corneum eases the drug diffusion through this barrier. The lipophilic compound retinol does not need this enhancer effect, as this compound can diffuse through the rest of this barrier after depositioning into the stratum corneum.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:41 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:

It's here! I have company until 2/3 and then am traveling until 2/6. I'll try it as soon as I am back in town and will update everyone.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
After reading through the thread, I bought one too! I have never done any micro-needling before so this is my very first experience. I also bought mine from a seller on Ebay -- I offered $100 for it with free shipping.

I used it tonight for the first time but not all over my face just yet. I did the under eye area, temples, and a few spots on my cheeks where I have a few acne scars. Not sure what kind (if any) results I'll get, but I think it's worth a shot. For those of you already using one, how often are you doing treatments and what products are the best for pre and post treatment? Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:00 am      Reply with quote
Great Bethany. I am anxiously awaiting the results of your experience!

BFG
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
foxe wrote:

It's here! I have company until 2/3 and then am traveling until 2/6. I'll try it as soon as I am back in town and will update everyone.

Ok great, so now we have the green light to make an offer to your ebay seller!
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
Can you let us know the name of your seller?

Thank you, BFG
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Can you let us know the name of your seller?

Thank you, BFG

bethany wrote:
daler wrote:
packratmack wrote:
bethany wrote:
I just ordered a My-m for $100 on eBay. We'll see how I like it!

Hi bethany, Can you let us know which seller you chose to purchase from? Thanks.

yes, please!!!

I bought from this guy (I think a lot of them are actually the same seller) and I offered $100 which was accepted. (shipping was free) You may want to wait until I get it though!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230853343415

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany, did it come with extra needle heads? Thank you
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
I just ordered a My-m from Bethany's seller off eBay. Hopefully it will get here in time for my next dermaroll in 3 and 1/2 weeks.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
Bethany, did it come with extra needle heads? Thank you

It came with a total of 2 needle heads.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:07 am      Reply with quote
I bought a my- m dermapen from ebay for £100. I did a VERY extensive roll on stretchmarks, abdominal. I did a lot of rolling because it just didn't really hurt. And I have rolled a lot with all depths of needles in the past. With this I got the most thorough roll I have ever managed. Blood spots and about a week of reddened skin. I did this about 6 weeks ago. I am quite takenaback at the level of effectiveness of the roll, and how easy it was. I wish I'd been able to get hold of this pen years ago.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:41 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
I bought a my- m dermapen from ebay for £100. I did a VERY extensive roll on stretchmarks, abdominal. I did a lot of rolling because it just didn't really hurt. And I have rolled a lot with all depths of needles in the past. With this I got the most thorough roll I have ever managed. Blood spots and about a week of reddened skin. I did this about 6 weeks ago. I am quite takenaback at the level of effectiveness of the roll, and how easy it was. I wish I'd been able to get hold of this pen years ago.

Catski did you have to use any numbing cream with the pen and did you use numbing cream with the regular dermaroller? I am trying to figure out if you think the Dermapen is less painful to use then a dermaroller. Thanks.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:33 am      Reply with quote
Hi cookie, no I didn't use any numbing cream, I never have, I've just gritted my teeth.. but with the dermapen I ended up rolling so thoroughly, I must have rolled about 20 times longer than I ever have before because it didn't hurt. I have achieved significant rolls before, and have also used a dermastamp which was very effective. But this is far ahead of the other methods if you have significant rolling area to achieve.

I think I have quite tough skin. I definitely find rolling much more touchy and less tolerable than the pen. At first I wasn't sure if it was doing the job..so I just continued..and continued...

I'm assuming that after 6 weeks the inflammation has died down and I'm now seeing the start of the results.

I'm actually unsure about doing another roll. I don't want to fatigue the area. I think I could be ready now for a series of peels, which would have been pointless before.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:43 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
Hi cookie, no I didn't use any numbing cream, I never have, I've just gritted my teeth.. but with the dermapen I ended up rolling so thoroughly, I must have rolled about 20 times longer than I ever have before because it didn't hurt. I have achieved significant rolls before, and have also used a dermastamp which was very effective. But this is far ahead of the other methods if you have significant rolling area to achieve.

I think I have quite tough skin. I definitely find rolling much more touchy and less tolerable than the pen. At first I wasn't sure if it was doing the job..so I just continued..and continued...

I'm assuming that after 6 weeks the inflammation has died down and I'm now seeing the start of the results.

I'm actually unsure about doing another roll. I don't want to fatigue the area. I think I could be ready now for a series of peels, which would have been pointless before.

That sounds great Catski. I have the my-m on order. Hopefully when I get it I will have some good results. I think from the mental aspect it should be easier to "injure" you skin if the pen is doing the needling vs. myself pushing the roller needles into my skin. I have used numbing cream so it doesn't hurt when I do it but that popping sound that I hear is kind of weird. Also when you see your face all bloody it's kind of freaky.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
Yes. I havent rolled my face. I think the redness of post reaura will have prepared you a little bit, visually for the redness...But I'd be avoiding the mirror if my face looked the way my abdomen did.. Embarassed

Long term strawberry jam look, it was.

But for me..not painful. I would def use it on my forehead lines.. easy to get a targetted area, efficiently.

I have to buy some replacement cartridges, I guess.

I think this pen is really a bargain, for all that it does, with such ease.

BUT as I said, I havent used it on my face, and I think I have tough skin.

Hope you get good results, Cookie, and without any stress!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
catski wrote:

Catski, thanks for this post...I have a friend that wants to do abdominal stretch marks, and am going to recommend this for her based on your feedback.

What rolling pattern are you using...the typical star, or just linear passes over the ares?

Also, I just ordered ordered 40 needle cartridges from the seller that Keliu bought her unit from and am splitting it with someone else. They were $3.25 per unit, so that is a a great deal if you have someone you can split it with. Once I read that the needle housing couldn't be adequately sterilized, I decided that I was definitely only using each tip one time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181081184538

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:52 am      Reply with quote
I bought a Dermapen & used it a week ago.

I found it less painful vis-a-vis dermaroller.

Even I used 2.5mm, I didn't feel it painful on my skin.

That said, owing to the small treatment are, I had to use more time to do a treatment.

By the way, I saw the comment of Dr. Des Fernandez on tatoo machine (it is more or less same as that of the operation of Dermapen on page 24 of the dermaroller instruction of Owndoc.

http://dermaroller.owndoc.com/dermaroller-instructions.pdf

Do not use a tattoo machine – with about 100 strokes per second it goes way too fast and can't be down-regulated to the speed we need. A tattoo machine can easily make the scar worse. Plastic surgeon Dr. Des Fernandez, inventor of the dermaroller, said:

“However, we have to realize that if one did the deeper needling at the density of a tattoo, then the skin would be scarificed, and sure one would get a lot of collagen (in the form of scar tissue) and not a restoration of the complex elastin and collagen network which we aim to achieve with needling. However, deeper scars need greater penetration with the needle… …Even if the extra needling is done by hand with a single needle, this is well worthwhile doing”.

Comment?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:32 am      Reply with quote
summer2004 wrote:
By the way, I saw the comment of Dr. Des Fernandez on tatoo machine (it is more or less same as that of the operation of Dermapen on page 24 of the dermaroller instruction of Owndoc.

http://dermaroller.owndoc.com/dermaroller-instructions.pdf

Do not use a tattoo machine – with about 100 strokes per second it goes way too fast and can't be down-regulated to the speed we need. A tattoo machine can easily make the scar worse. Plastic surgeon Dr. Des Fernandez, inventor of the dermaroller, said:

“However, we have to realize that if one did the deeper needling at the density of a tattoo, then the skin would be scarificed, and sure one would get a lot of collagen (in the form of scar tissue) and not a restoration of the complex elastin and collagen network which we aim to achieve with needling. However, deeper scars need greater penetration with the needle… …Even if the extra needling is done by hand with a single needle, this is well worthwhile doing”.

Comment?

Hmmm...that is very interesting. BFG has been communicating with Dr. S...I would love to hear his opinion on that as well.

Notice that Dr. F did specifically mention "deeper needling at the density of a tattoo, then the skin would be scarificed" so I think the key is to NOT overwork the area with the derma pen.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:53 am      Reply with quote
Bethany, can you share the link where you saw the info about the needles/sterilization?

I recall from one of the Dr. F papers that PCI was first discovered as a result of tattooing, so I guess (until looking further at it)....that too much of anything is not good for anybody Wink

BFG
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
sorry to be off topic here, but after contemplating I ended up buying the large dermastamp from owndoc:

http://shop.owndoc.com/product-info.php?dermastamp15-pid211.html

If anyone has experience using it, pls pm me with some tips, I ll appreciate it lots..

I tired using rollers few years ago but was never able to penetrate the needles all the way in my skin but I know this stamp would go all the way in.. at this time, I ll only be using it on my cheeks to try make the skin more elastic there...
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
My my-m is here and I will be using it for the first time in a couple of weeks. How many passes are people doing over areas on your face and are you still "rolling" in a star pattern? Thanks for any help.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
sorry to be off topic here, but after contemplating I ended up buying the large dermastamp from owndoc:

If anyone has experience using it, pls pm me with some tips, I ll appreciate it lots..

I tired using rollers few years ago but was never able to penetrate the needles all the way in my skin but I know this stamp would go all the way in.. at this time, I ll only be using it on my cheeks to try make the skin more elastic there...

I have that one, and found it a bit unwieldy to use.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
daler wrote:

I have that one, and found it a bit unwieldy to use.

ah, may be I should have posted this before buying it! lol.. hopefully it would work well on the cheek area....
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:00 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |