Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dermapen – value?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
marcia36
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 17, 2013 10:42 am      Reply with quote
I always remove the numbing cream before i use dermapen.
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 17, 2013 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
panoslydios wrote:

I think pain is essential in the healing process.
I also think the very first reaction after trauma (like pain ) are detrimental to healing.
Could be wrong though.
Either way i wouldnt suppress the nervous electrical system of my body.

I’m one of the old ones here, so maybe that is why I have different views, but I wouldn’t have a tooth pulled without novocaine and I wouldn’t have a Dermapen treatment without numbing cream. I stopped subscribing to the notion of “no pain no gain” a long time ago. I understand and appreciate the viewpoint of people that are opposed to the idea of “pushing the numbing cream in”, but I am not aware of any studies that suggest that numbing cream is harmful. My Dermapen treatments are pleasant – yes, pleasant. I get a nice glycolic peel to start and then 30 minutes to relax while the numbing cream is doing its thing. I find the actual treatment almost relaxing. I don’t walk away with my face looking like raw meat and it only takes me a day to recover. And yet, I feel that these treatments are doing me a world of good and I am very pleased with the results. I am having my 6th treatment next week.

Needling/collagen induction therapy doesn’t have to be about pain and self-mutilation. It has a long history. There is no mystery as to how it works. It is kind of holistic. OK, sorry if this is starting to sound like a public service announcement for dermapen Embarassed I look forward to hearing more from LauraLizzie since hopefully she will see lots of different skin types and issues and results from her spa experiences. And, kudos to Keilu who has been around a long time and continues to share.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 17, 2013 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Panda. I don't think pain is essential to any healing process. I say if you want to use numbing cream, go for it. If not, don't. I think whatever allows you to make the most holes in your face is the best route to take.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 28, 2013 7:54 am      Reply with quote
I had my sixth treatment a week ago. The esthetician said my skin was looking great and that it is time to take a little break now. Her analogy was like gardening - we have planted the seeds and now we need to wait to see what springs up. I'm a bit disappointed because I really looked forward to having the treatments, but if there is ever a good time for a break, summer is it.
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:59 am      Reply with quote
This Korean company makes so advanced dermapens.

http://mcure.co.kr/e_catalogue/

http://mcure.co.kr/e_catalogue/image/page/img_6.swf

http://mcure.co.kr/e_catalogue/image/page/img_12.swf

http://mcure.co.kr/e_catalogue/image/page/img_13.swf
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:07 am      Reply with quote
Are you all using a circular motion when you bear down as in this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIuwBC-5q9I
Also...where are you buying the pure hyaluronic serum or are you using something else?

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:02 am      Reply with quote
There are a few videos in that series and most are a little gentler. The literature from Dermapen says firm but light pressure, no need to jam the pen into the skin.

I do stripes up, stripes across and circles and stamping when needed. One of the videos shows holding the skin tight with a gauze pad and that idea makes a lot of sense and I plan to do that on my next client.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:19 am      Reply with quote
I'm not sure of the benefits of the HA serum, other than short term plumping? I guess I need to learn more about it.
I use an Environ vitamin oil.

Laura, what kind of improvements are you clients experiencing and over what time frame?

Thanks, BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:19 am      Reply with quote
I'm not sure of the benefits of the HA serum, other than short term plumping? I guess I need to learn more about it.
I use vitamin oil.

Laura, what kind of improvements are you clients experiencing and over what time frame?

Thanks, BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:29 am      Reply with quote
Wow, needling is going high tech....those machines would appear to be direct competitors to laser machines, no?

BFG
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
I think this is better than the Pixel Perfect as it doesn't destroy the top layer of the skin with heat. So that part doesn't have to heal. Less down time.

I think the HA serum is used because it is good, cheap and slippery. I have used peptide serum, Neocutis serum, neocutis biogel, Theraderm OPC gel, Hydrafacial Dermabuilder serum, b5 gel, HA and a combination of a few of them.

5% products discount

Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone looked at this unit? I'd like to buy from amazon rather than ebay/china. I also need to find if the seller has replacement needle heads.

http://www.amazon.com/Highwinwin-Microroller-Needles-Motorized-Theraphy/dp/B00C3XEB6Q/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1370532478&sr=8-8&keywords=dermapen
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:19 am      Reply with quote
pharaoh wrote:
Has anyone looked at this unit? I'd like to buy from amazon rather than ebay/china. I also need to find if the seller has replacement needle heads.

http://www.amazon.com/Highwinwin-Microroller-Needles-Motorized-Theraphy/dp/B00C3XEB6Q/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1370532478&sr=8-8&keywords=dermapen

It looks like the same My-m I ordered from eBay. The needles listed below the pen (10 pcs for 29.99) should fit but I would email them just to make sure.

5% products discount

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:32 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Cookie! I've been reading and reading but still have a question...what serum/vehicle are you using with your My-m? I paid $350 for a pretty aggressive dermapen treatment a few weeks ago. To think I can do it myself for less than $200 whenever I want is magical!
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:59 am      Reply with quote
pharaoh wrote:
Thanks Cookie! I've been reading and reading but still have a question...what serum/vehicle are you using with your My-m? I paid $350 for a pretty aggressive dermapen treatment a few weeks ago. To think I can do it myself for less than $200 whenever I want is magical!

I am using a HA (hyaluronic acid) serum during the treatment for "slip". I bought some ready made by Babyface because it didn't have any extra ingredients but after I run out I will probably make my own. You just mix the powdered HA with water. I think I can handle that. After I roll I use a Vit. C and Vit. A product. There are tons of them out there but you need to be careful about what kind of extra ingredients are in the product because they with get absorbed into the skin and you may not want that. I have used Environ in the past but recently used Fawnie's products.

It is a good idea to prep you skin for at least 4 weeks (3 months is better) with some kind of Vit A and C product. It has been proven that you will get better results from your rolls if the skin has these vitamins to work with.

Some people also use a numbing cream before hand. One of the more popular products is EMLA. I ordered mine from Amazon but you might be able to get it from a drugstore depending on what country you live on.

5% products discount

Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:04 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much Cookie! I'm in the US. I'll look for Emla and see if I can find it. I have to find a vitamin c serum that won't break me out. That is 99% of the battle...my acne prone skin! Thanks for the tip on the HA. Where do you get your powder, if you don't mind.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:22 am      Reply with quote
pharaoh wrote:
Thanks so much Cookie! I'm in the US. I'll look for Emla and see if I can find it. I have to find a vitamin c serum that won't break me out. That is 99% of the battle...my acne prone skin! Thanks for the tip on the HA. Where do you get your powder, if you don't mind.

I don't think you will be able to get Emla here in the US without a prescription. Mine came from Europe when I ordered on Amazon. I haven't ordered my HA yet but will probably get it from
Skin Actives. Also try Mad Hippie Vit C. I have oily skin and it helped my acne. I don't know that I would roll it into the skin though because it is the LA kind and that is not the best kind of Vit C after a roll because it can sting but it is the best Vit C product for everyday use that I have used.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:32 am      Reply with quote
Numbing cream can be found at tattoo supply websites. I can get Emla at Walmart (but I am in Canada). Worth a phone call.
pharaoh
5% products discount

Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:42 am      Reply with quote
Thanks guys. Funny the best info always comes from this forum. Never heard of mad hippie vitamin c and am looking it up. Gets CRAZY good reviews everywhere. I'm going to give it a try! So nice not to spend $150 for some silly serum.

I'll call the tattoo shops for emla too. Great idea. I ordered the dermapen (spinoff) from amazon. I'll keep you guys posted!
IngiiJay

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
Ladies I have been reading your reviews about the my-m pen with a lot of interest. I noted that the original my-m pen was cited on the bellaire industries website. I realise that there are cheaper versions avaialalbe (ebay and other places) and I wondered whether any of you had any thoughts about if they are knock off my-m's whether they are just as good as the Bellaire ones. The Bellaire website has heading saying 'beware of imitations'. Do any of you have any thoughts about that?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:16 pm      Reply with quote
IngiiJay wrote:
Ladies I have been reading your reviews about the my-m pen with a lot of interest. I noted that the original my-m pen was cited on the bellaire industries website. I realise that there are cheaper versions avaialalbe (ebay and other places) and I wondered whether any of you had any thoughts about if they are knock off my-m's whether they are just as good as the Bellaire ones. The Bellaire website has heading saying 'beware of imitations'. Do any of you have any thoughts about that?

As far as I am aware we are all using the cheaper My-M and are all perfectly happy with it. Whether the Bellaire one is better, I wouldn't know.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:53 pm      Reply with quote
I understand why Dermapen is better than a dermaroller, but I do not get why it is better than a dermastamp! Can anyone clarify this for me please?
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:49 am      Reply with quote
There are physical reasons which I am sure someone else will explain, but for me the main advantage is you don't have to push needles into the skin - it happens automatically and this is much less daunting for wuss-types (like me).

A great feature of the pen is the adjustable length so that you can go from say .25 mm to 2 mm depending on the area being treated. And it is nice to have a new hygienic needle head every time!

best, M
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:18 am      Reply with quote
Speaking for myself, I always found the dermaroller unwieldy to use in certain areas of the face - actually the center areas where you might want to get tight up to the nose or lip area and for me, around the eyes...even using the 3 line roller, I couldn't do it well.

Also, it has often been a mental challenge to inflict wounds on myself and to cause myself to bleed...hard to explain, but when holding the pen to my face - it forces the needles, not me.... I know this sounds probably hokey, but it made a difference for me.

All that said, I have learned that the pen is not the most effective device for large areas...so I still use a roller there....and find if I roll quickly and firmly...and don't think about it too much, it goes really fast and is effective.
Over time, all of this has gotten much easier.
I remember the first time I tried to needle, I kept thinking "what the heck am I doing to myself??" LOL

BFG
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:50 am      Reply with quote
We had a rep for the SkinPen come to the spa last week. The website is under construction but it is supposed to be faster, cheaper than the dermapen and cordless.

Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:35 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |