Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Dermapen – value?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
trigger
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
CarolineP wrote:
Quote:
My husband wasn't too happy with me. He was yelling in the middle of it: "this is bull$h1t! I don't care about looking old what's wrong with it?!".

Hahaha! I can just imagine working on my husband's face, Lol. He would probably try to walk off.

Hmmmm... Might be a good idea to practice on him first Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin Laughing
I would do it away from mirrors, so he can't see the bleeding. Men freak out when seeing blood Very Happy

Actually, it was hard work. I don't recommend it. Save the energy for your own face Smile unless your man is really up for it.

At least next time (if there is one, he knows what he's in for.

I said to him after, "so I gues I'll just throw your needle cartridge away if you'll never do it again?", and then he started saying (after swearing up and down during it, never again), "oh, maybe I'll see how it works first..." Lol.
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
trigger wrote:
CarolineP wrote:
Quote:
My husband wasn't too happy with me. He was yelling in the middle of it: "this is bull$h1t! I don't care about looking old what's wrong with it?!".

Hahaha! I can just imagine working on my husband's face, Lol. He would probably try to walk off.

Hmmmm... Might be a good idea to practice on him first Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin Laughing
I would do it away from mirrors, so he can't see the bleeding. Men freak out when seeing blood Very Happy

Actually, it was hard work. I don't recommend it. Save the energy for your own face Smile unless your man is really up for it.

At least next time (if there is one, he knows what he's in for.

I said to him after, "so I gues I'll just throw your needle cartridge away if you'll never do it again?", and then he started saying (after swearing up and down during it, never again), "oh, maybe I'll see how it works first..." Lol.

just be careful with reusing the cartridge, there was discussion a lil while ago that these cartridges cannot be disinfected properly because of their design..
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
just be careful with reusing the cartridge, there was discussion a lil while ago that these cartridges cannot be disinfected properly because of their design..

I agree...I personally don't think the risk of reusing a cartridge is worth it. I won't even reuse a roller longer than .15.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the heads up. I've used my 1.5 roller twice on myself, but agree sterility is always an issue, and being safe is always better than being sorry. I think that's a good standard to have out there.

I don't agree that it isn't possible to sterilize these cartridges, but given that people have all different kinds of home situations etc, its better to promote the safest option.
trigger
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
daler wrote:

I agree...I personally don't think the risk of reusing a cartridge is worth it. I won't even reuse a roller longer than .15.

I actually have more qualms about sterility using a fresh needle cartridge, as strange as that might sound. I always disinfect before using it (I'm sure we all do), but at least after I've fully sterilized it myself I know for a fact it's safe. You might think I'm strange, but I worry because you never know what might happen in manufacturing or who may have touched it. We can hope they're produced in a completely sterile area, but whenever humans are involved (and they inevitably are) there is room for error.

But that is not to take away from those that feel a fresh cartridge is a must each time. I'm going to think on it some more. Seeing as they come in such large lots at reasonable prices, it makes sense anyway. However I don't like wasting things unnecessarily, especially as the needles stay super sharp and are perfectly viable for many treatments I imagine. Thanks for bringing it up.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:08 am      Reply with quote
trigger wrote:
I actually have more qualms about sterility using a fresh needle cartridge, as strange as that might sound. I always disinfect before using it (I'm sure we all do), but at least after I've fully sterilized it myself I know for a fact it's safe. You might think I'm strange, but I worry because you never know what might happen in manufacturing or who may have touched it. We can hope they're produced in a completely sterile area, but whenever humans are involved (and they inevitably are) there is room for error.

But that is not to take away from those that feel a fresh cartridge is a must each time. I'm going to think on it some more. Seeing as they come in such large lots at reasonable prices, it makes sense anyway. However I don't like wasting things unnecessarily, especially as the needles stay super sharp and are perfectly viable for many treatments I imagine. Thanks for bringing it up.

I definitely sterilize new needles too with alcohol...who really knows what happens before they seal them up?

The main thing is disinfection, and unfortunately I don't think everyone takes it as seriously as they should. Many years ago we had someone who got a staph infection on her face from not properly disinfecting her roller, and that scared the poo out of me. Shock Then I had the unfortunate experience of my roller falling apart while I was rolling...a result of using denture tablets as part of the recommended cleaning protocol. Embarassed And that was the end of my reuse of needles, lol.

But each person should make the decision that they are the most comfortable with. No judgement here if your protocol is different than mine!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:37 am      Reply with quote
My sterilization routine before needling involves thoroughly washing my hands and arms up to the elbow, as well as face and neck - in a tea tree oil based liquid soap.

I drop my needle tip in a cup of hydrogen peroxide for a few minutes before putting it on the device (do similar with rollers).

After needling, I have tossed the tips back into a fresh cup of hydrogen peroxide and left them there overnight. Then, I laid them out to dry. I have never re-used one, but I might. I don't know yet. Personally, I think it's interesting to think that bacteria could still be alive after weeks of the last usage, and being kept in a clean container. I am not afraid of my own body fluids - I would most be concerned about sharing needles or fluids with others.

I don't know - I have not re-used one, but I do keep them, so who knows about the future. I view this in somewhat the same light that my electrologist views hygiene in her office.

BFG
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:48 am      Reply with quote
I would worry just as much about dull needles as infection. When we inject botox,we switch put needles every 4th spot.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:55 am      Reply with quote
Hypodermic needles are hollow, and do blunt very quickly. Roller needles are a completely different design. I only used my roller twice, and but it was just as sharp the second time. Not that I think Sarah Vaughtner is the most reliable source, but even she, a seller of rollers says they will stay sharp for a year. Now, I am not suggesting this, nor have I tried. But they can not be compared to a hypodermic needle. Totally different things.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:15 am      Reply with quote
One issue I have is that I don't use the My-M needles except for certain areas of my face....they certainly aren't used for my full face or other body parts...so who's to really know how much usage it would take before they go dull? 10 minutes of use? 30 minutes of use? I assume the manufacturers provide some kind of guidelines to professionals.
In some ways, it becomes clear why someone would discard a needle after one session - without regard for how long that session actually took place.

BFG
trigger
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:28 am      Reply with quote
It's definitely an interesting question. I feel confident in my sterilization techniques and the ability of the needles to stay sharp for at least a few treatments on myself. But, I am by no means encouraging others to follow suit. I also completely understand those that are taking a more cautious approach. You can never be too cautious.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
trigger wrote:
Hypodermic needles are hollow, and do blunt very quickly. Roller needles are a completely different design. I only used my roller twice, and but it was just as sharp the second time. Not that I think Sarah Vaughtner is the most reliable source, but even she, a seller of rollers says they will stay sharp for a year. Now, I am not suggesting this, nor have I tried. But they can not be compared to a hypodermic needle. Totally different things.

I posted some detailed info on this a very long time ago in the dermarolling articles thread. The longer the needles, the more quickly they become dull due to electrical vibrations that take place during rolling.

For the most part, with the exception of the very short needles, rollers of .5mm or longer are designed to be used one time. That could have changed over time, but I would want to see some documentation to that effect from someone who is not a reseller.

Here is a statement I found from the Journal of Cutaneous and Aesthetic Surgery:

Quote:
The standard dermaroller used for acne scars is a drum-shaped roller studded with 192 fine microneedles in eight rows, 0.5-1.5 mm in length and 0.1 mm in diameter. The microneedles are synthesized by reactive ion etching techniques on silicon or medical-grade stainless steel. The instrument is presterilized by gamma irradiation. Medical dermarollers are for single use only.
Home-Care dermarollers less than 0.15 mm in length are available for transdermal delivery of substances like lipopeptides and other anti-ageing products. They can be used twice a week for up to one hundred times.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2918341/

This article is not related to reuse, but contains some interesting info on penetration of flat needle tools (like stamps or dermapens) vs cylindrical needle tools, and it said velocity is also a factor. I'll look it over when I have some free time.

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/222049179_Skin_penetration_enhancement_by_a_microneedle_device_%28Dermaroller%29_in_vitro_Dependency_on_needle_size_and_applied_formulation/file/d912f50e80bfe4a3ab.pdf

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
This is why I always loved it here. Thank you very much Bethany.
*runs off to stock up on cartridges*
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
I tried the SkinPen today. Holy smokes is my face warm and red. And tight. Yowza....

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
Laura,

Do you have a link to the manufacturer's page on this device? I am curious to see what it looks like, what the claims are.

Thanks, BFG
MaryClaire
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:39 am      Reply with quote
I think Panda has her dermapen treatments done at a salon and she has mentioned getting a glycolic peel first.

Does anyone give themselves a glycolic acid peel before they use the dermapen? If so, what percentage?

Thanks!
Mary
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:36 am      Reply with quote
We offer peels right after the pen treatment. lots of different options (glycolic, lactic, blends etc) including the APeel, VI Peel and Perfect Peel. You just want to be careful and follow the directions exactly and use for limited times because with a numb face, you can't tell when it is burning and too strong.

I am on the fence about doing a peel after the pen. I think it is too much for my face and probably for most people.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:42 am      Reply with quote
I never asked about the reason for the glycolic peel prior to the dermapen treatment. I just assumed (always a bad idea) that it was being done to assist the movement of the pen and to keep the needles sharp. I would not want to put glycolic acid on my face following the treatment - or any other acid for that matter - while the pores are wide open, but that's just my personal preference.

I am very, very happy with my dermapen results so far. My skin looks great and my understanding is that I will continue to see improvement for up to the next year!

I looked at the website for the SkinPen and while the site isn't functional yet, the photo of the pen on the home page looks just like the dermapen. LauraLizzie, I'd be interested to know what differences you see since you have both tools.
MaryClaire
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:43 am      Reply with quote
Thanks LauraLizzie for the info.

My thought was that the peel gets rid of dead skin cells and the numbing cream and the dermapen both have an easier time of penetrating the top layer of skin.

I did a glycolic acid peel three days ago and was a little scared that a dermapen treatment was going to be too much for my skin.

But, I just got finished with my first dermapen treatment and don't see a problem. I also wanted to say that you ladies are so smart and so generous with your info!

All I had to do is follow your recommendations and be patient with the stamping and gliding. I was amazed that underneath the eye did not bother me at all. It took me 3 hours but I think I did a good job. Can't wait to see six months down the road.

Thanks all!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
LauraLizzie wrote:
We offer peels right after the pen treatment. lots of different options (glycolic, lactic, blends etc) including the APeel, VI Peel and Perfect Peel. You just want to be careful and follow the directions exactly and use for limited times because with a numb face, you can't tell when it is burning and too strong.

I am on the fence about doing a peel after the pen. I think it is too much for my face and probably for most people.

I am surprised peels are being offered directly after a needling treatment when the micro-channels are still open. Surely it is not ideal to have the acids from a peel penetrating so deeply into the skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
I also wouldn't do any peels after a roll. I did do a PMD treatment before a roll once. I didn't really notice any difference. I did see microdermabrasion listed on several dermatologist sites to be done before a Dermapen treatment. I think it is suppose to help with needle penetration by removing dead skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:54 am      Reply with quote
Post roll peel sounds to me completely insane.

*screams*
MaryClaire
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone noticed their neck skin/eye skin firming up after several dermapen treatments?
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
MaryClaire wrote:
Has anyone noticed their neck skin/eye skin firming up after several dermapen treatments?

My under eye area has gotten better. No change on my neck though.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
Cookie, LOL about your signature! Love it!

Anyway, does anybody have any suggestions for topical vitamin A (like maybe stuff you can buy at Garden of Wisdom or Personal Formulator or Beyond-A-Century) that could maybe replace tretinoin/retin-A? I really hate the photosensitivity of retin-A but would like the benefit of a vitamin A product.

Also, is the expiration date of retin-A pretty tight? I have some tubes I've had for quite a while that expired a couple of years ago. They've been tightly capped in a cool, dark place. I know for some things you can ignore the expiry for a while (CP's come to mind)...just wondering if retin-A is one of those things. I could try the .025 again, maybe, if there's no good alternative.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:56 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |