Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dermapen – value?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Panda1 wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:
Wow, it seems like suddenly the world of skincare is booming with all sorts of new products and devices. I didn't think I was sleeping while all this happened, lol, maybe I was.

so..do I understand correctly that you think that stem cells more quickly address inflammation?

To me that seems counter-intuitive for use with needling, fractional lasering, etc. because it's the initial inflammation that triggers the wound healing we are seeking?

My first Dermapen treatment is this coming Friday. I am anxious to report back on that.

BFG

I thought this blog entry was very accurate - at least as it compares to my first treatment. I also thought the pictures were pretty realistic.
Can't wait to hear about your experience. Best of luck.

http://www.beautybybirdie.com/2011/08/dermapen-treatment-1.html#!/2011/08/dermapen-treatment-1.html

Very interesting...not quite as blood free and pain free as I have heard mentioned previously. I suspected that was not the case, and this pretty much confirmed that it is not that different from using a dermastamp at home.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
Panda1 wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:
so..do I understand correctly that you think that stem cells more quickly address inflammation?

To me that seems counter-intuitive for use with needling, fractional lasering, etc. because it's the initial inflammation that triggers the wound healing we are seeking?
BFG

There was a discussion about a product called ReGenica a while back. There is a "paper" out on that site that describes the results of a study that was done comparing the healing time following laser treatment with a growth factor product and a placebo. It's kind of interesting. You may want to take a look. It's under the first clinical study.

http://www.regenica.com/results.htm

I think this might be the thread:

Skin Care Products with Cytokines
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=46226
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

Very interesting...not quite as blood free and pain free as I have heard mentioned previously. I suspected that was not the case, and this pretty much confirmed that it is not that different from using a dermastamp at home.

Bethany, I believe they are very similar. There were points during my treatment where the doc held the pen over a particular spot and just "stamped away" (like at the corner of my nose). Very uncomfortable!
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
Of course, after Friday I may have a different story to report, but for now I can say, after looking at the link, that my home rolling produces even more blood and swelling than appears in this photos...so we'll see.

I have a rather high tolerance for pain on and around my face, after years now of peels, injections and surgery...

We'll see. Tks, BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
Of course, after Friday I may have a different story to report, but for now I can say, after looking at the link, that my home rolling produces even more blood and swelling than appears in this photos...so we'll see.

I have a rather high tolerance for pain on and around my face, after years now of peels, injections and surgery...

We'll see. Tks, BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:58 am      Reply with quote
I just returned from my first Dermapen treatment.

The first thing they did was cleanse my face with a cleansing gel. The esthetician then applied BLT numbing cream which is similar to EMLA. I read a magazine and waited about 30 minutes for her to return. She wiped off the numbing cream, then cleaned my face again with rubbing alcohol, then began to needle my face with the Dermapen. It only hurt on the forehead, no pain or discomfort at all around the rest of my face. It is a different sensation than rolling.
With rolling, wherever the EMLA has not thoroughly numbed the skin, I feel sharp pricks. Not so with the Dermapen. The sensation is more like deep, dull jabs. It was strange because I could feel it - so obviously this other numbing cream doesn't remove sensation like EMLA, but what I did feel was less painful (does that make sense?).

Although I asked her to needle more closely to my eyes, she did not feel comfortably doing so. I am one of their first patients for the Dermapen, so perhaps they are being conservative. I am not sure sure.
She moved fast and steady across my face horizontally, then vertically. As she finished one area of the face, I noticed that area feeling hot, until finally my whole face was hot. When she finished, she applied a topical hyaluronic acid product from Neocutis. Of course, I ran straight home and applied the Environ vitamin oil instead.
My face is still pink, but fading. I have no discomfort whatsoever. I checked around, but saw no blood on the instrument or latex gloves or anywhere at all.

I am not likely to return for another treatment, but only because I like the idea of having my own equipment where I can control needle length and application. I will make my purchasing decision in the next several days.
I can easily see using the Dermapen on myself and it taking far less time and mess than the rollers.

I suppose one could do a cost analysis on the price of the rollers vs. one of these units based on expected life of each.

I did notice when I applied the oil to my face that my face was beginning to slough a little, which I think is typical and happens as well with rolling. I suspect I have created deeper skin channels with the rollers than she did today with the pen, but...if I had the pen myself, I could do that as well (I think).

BFG
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:44 am      Reply with quote
BFG - glad to hear this was a success. Do you know the length of the needles that were used? Do you know if the length was changed at various points during the treatment?

Happy healing!
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Panda1, I guess it was a partial success in that I now what to expect from the pen. Won't really know if it's a success until we see what my skin looks like down the road. She said she used < 1mm on my forehead and around my eyes. > 1 every where else. She stopped and adjusted the pen before going on to my cheeks and chin, so I assume that's when she made the adjustment....still not sure what to make of the whole no blood anywhere thing.

I decided this morning to go back and look at my skin photos from nearly 7 years ago when I started all of this heavy duty skincare. I swear I look the same, no aging in 7 years except for:

- more sagging, but that's to be expected and can only fix with surgery which I intend to do in 2013.

- no more dark circles: took care of those in 2008 with filler and they remain great ever since.

- skin tone, texture, etc....unchanged! actually, less wrinkling now, 7 years later!

BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
added comment - the derm's office is in a wealthy neighborhood. I stopped to get something for lunch on my way back home. The women in that little gourmet grocery looked like maybe they don't work during the day - lots of obvious cosmetic surgery and overly done hair & makeup...a reminder to me to know when to stop short.

BFG
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
I had my second dermapen treatment today. Pretty different experience from the first – maybe it was the numbing cream Very Happy She used a needle length ranging from .5 to 1.5, with the .5 being mainly for my forehead, and the 1.5 for my upper lip and chin. I am nowhere near as red as I was after the first treatment, although I did bleed a bit mostly around my lower face.

I told the aesthetician that performed the treatment about how brutal the first treatment was and she said that wasn’t really necessary and that the more aggressive treatments are meant for dealing with scars and very tough skin (anything above a 1.5mm).

She was very positive about the growth factor products (she uses Neocutis) and said that Dermapen will be coming out with their own growth factor product to be used during treatments. She also said that Dermapen may be coming out with a home unit, but she didn’t know when that might be. Lastly, she offered to put me in touch with a doctor that does the dermapen/PRP treatment, but I have mixed feelings about that. My stem cells are old so it seems to me that I am better off with using younger growth factors.

By the way, first treatment (performed by a doctor) cost $400. This treatment was $250.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Have just received notification that my DermaPen is at the post office awaiting collection. Question is, how am I going to fit this in with my ReAura treatments - the last one I did was last night so I think it would be too soon to go at it with the DermaPen.

However, I have an obligation to try it out don't I? - So I might just do my top lip. Will report back tomorrow.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Have just received notification that my DermaPen is at the post office awaiting collection. Question is, how am I going to fit this in with my ReAura treatments - the last one I did was last night so I think it would be too soon to go at it with the DermaPen.

However, I have an obligation to try it out don't I? - So I might just do my top lip. Will report back tomorrow.

Keliu, you could always try it out on an area you didn't use the ReAura on. I don't know if you were doing all the different areas at once.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:

Keliu, you could always try it out on an area you didn't use the ReAura on. I don't know if you were doing all the different areas at once.

Well, at the moment I'm doing chest, neck and face. But Toby told me that she's been dermarolling her lip before doing her Tria treatment. I actually find the top lip quite difficult to treat with the ReAura - it's hard to maintain the green light. So that's why I think I'll try out the top lip with the DermaPen - I also want to see if it's less painful than dermarolling.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:32 am      Reply with quote
I've done my first upper lip treatment. Just to reiterate, I purchased the My-M on Ebay for $165.00 - it is exactly identical the model sold by Bellaire for $500.00.
http://www.bellaireindustry.com/microneedle.html

It came with two sterilized needle heads. The heads look relatively flimsy - which is fair enough because they're supposed to be used only once. Of course, I will be reusing them.

The device has five speed levels, all shown by different coloured lights (very efficient) and the needle length is to be varied whilst the device is switched on. One minor complaint, you practically need a magnifying glass to see the needle lengths marked on the screw head.

I applied some numbing cream for half an hour then chose a needle length of 1.5mm. I started off on the slowest speed and then increased up to the fastest. I think the fastest was more tolerable - although, I have to say, it was really quite painful. I know that there are allot of nerve endings in the upper lip, so it is always really unpleasant to treat with any device. Anyway, this hurt more than a thought it would. I also produced quite a few pin pricks of blood and was bleeding quite profusely in some spots. However, it should be remembered that I've nearly completed my sixteen treatments with the ReAura Laser and my skin is extra sensitive. Because of that reason, I can't see myself doing a whole face treatment for a while - but I think I'll battle on with the lip lines.

I'm definitely happy with the device. I can't see that spending allot of money on the more expensive models would be worth it - but then, I haven't used one to compare this one with.

I am thinking that this device might deliver better results than a roller - it's pretty brutal!

ETA: The device just operates from a chord and plug - which is great because I'm sick of the whole recharging thing - the cord is also nice and long.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:29 am      Reply with quote
Hi Keliu,

I was tempted to buy one after seeing your comment.

In China, the price of the one you bought can be as low as USD 60 per set and USD 1.3 for a spare needle.

However, I really doubt its quality.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
summer2004 wrote:
Hi Keliu,

I was tempted to buy one after seeing your comment.

In China, the price of the one you bought can be as low as USD 60 per set and USD 1.3 for a spare needle.

However, I really doubt its quality.

Have you seen the My-M model for $60.00? That is certainly very cheap. The reason I bought it is because it is the one sold by Bellaire and I have bought other products from them so trust their name.

I don't know that I would be prepared to spend too much money on one of these devices (for personal use that is) - all it's doing is stabbing the skin (automatically) - there's no sophisticated technology involved. Plus, this is a device which I will not be using regularly.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu,

Yes, I saw it & the price was ranging from USD 60 to USD 350 -same model.

I won't say all but the picture posted to the internet by some unscrupulous sellers in China are not the same one of what you receive.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:32 am      Reply with quote
I've completed my facial treatments with the ReAura so I waited a week and decided to give the DermaPen (My-M model) a workout tonight. I applied Emla, covered with plastic wrap and left it on for an hour. I set the needle length to 1mm and used the device on high speed all over the face. The pain was tolerable although next time I think I'll apply the Emla more thickly - I bought a "one use" tube but only used half of it. Next time I'll use the entire tube.

I bled quite profusely - Bethany would have been impressed. When I've rolled previously I've always stated that I've never been a bleeder. I'm not sure whether the bleeding is due to the effectiveness of the device or because of all the laser treatments (I'm inclined to think it's because of the laser treatments). I'm now sitting here with red, burning skin - and I'm not sure whether I've over-done it or not. Will have to see how I wake up in the morning.

Anyway, I'm thrilled with this device - it's certainly allot better and more tolerable than using a roller. I'm a little surprised that more people haven't jumped on this - I'm giving it a big "thumbs up".

ETA: I forgot to add that afterwards I applied Medik 8 Growth Factor Serum which is especially for use post rolling.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:03 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the report Keliu.

I can't recall whether you purchased an authentic Dermapen or a different brand that is similar?

I am not surprised that more people aren't jumping all over this, lol.

It seems human nature to expect more magic from laser-like and high tech gadgets over simpler solutions...

Please keep reporting back as you see results over time!

Thanks again, BFG
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
I purchased the cheaper knock-off model, the My-M - it's the one that is sold on the Bellair website although I bought it cheaper on Ebay. I'm sure I read somewhere (I forget where) that the authentic DermaPen provides a much smoother operation. However, considering that this device will not be used on a regular basis, I think the My-M is perfectly adequate for home use. One thing's for sure, after using this device, I wouldn't consider going back to using a traditional roller.

This morning my skin is still stinging slightly (wait till I apply my Vitamin C!) and I have plenty of visible red pin-pricks all over the face.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Keliu,

Thx for the update.

Some people claimed that they had not had bleeding using the dermapen.

Thus, I believe that your bleeding maybe because of the ReAura.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:48 am      Reply with quote
Thanks...I found the My-M on eBay and pricing here is close to Dermapen, so I think I will keep rolling until I get my hands on the Dermapen....

Appreciate your continued feedback on this!

BFG
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:04 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Thanks...I found the My-M on eBay and pricing here is close to Dermapen, so I think I will keep rolling until I get my hands on the Dermapen....

Appreciate your continued feedback on this!

BFG

What is the price of the DermaPen in the US - in Australia they're $1,500.00.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:16 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I've completed my facial treatments with the ReAura so I waited a week and decided to give the DermaPen (My-M model) a workout tonight. I applied Emla, covered with plastic wrap and left it on for an hour. I set the needle length to 1mm and used the device on high speed all over the face. The pain was tolerable although next time I think I'll apply the Emla more thickly - I bought a "one use" tube but only used half of it. Next time I'll use the entire tube.

I bled quite profusely - Bethany would have been impressed. When I've rolled previously I've always stated that I've never been a bleeder. I'm not sure whether the bleeding is due to the effectiveness of the device or because of all the laser treatments (I'm inclined to think it's because of the laser treatments). I'm now sitting here with red, burning skin - and I'm not sure whether I've over-done it or not. Will have to see how I wake up in the morning.

Anyway, I'm thrilled with this device - it's certainly allot better and more tolerable than using a roller. I'm a little surprised that more people haven't jumped on this - I'm giving it a big "thumbs up".

ETA: I forgot to add that afterwards I applied Medik 8 Growth Factor Serum which is especially for use post rolling.

It sounds like you had quite the workout with that...I may have to check it out myself!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
If any one is interested makemeheal has the MyM Derma needle pen for $200.

http://www.makemeheal.com/mmh/product.do?id=170900

Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:07 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |