Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Dermapen – value?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
Panda1 wrote:
Bethany, excellent work! Thanks so much for the info.

You are very welcome! Those poor people....I had a whole list of questions for them, lol. I did find out that there is one person in my area that is just getting started with offering RejuvaPen services, but I wonder if I actually have more needling experience than she does, lol.

I may call there tomorrow and see what she charges.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Panda1 wrote:

You are very welcome! Those poor people....I had a whole list of questions for them, lol. I did find out that there is one person in my area that is just getting started with offering RejuvaPen services, but I wonder if I actually have more needling experience than she does, lol.

Thanks Bethany. Maybe you can get a free treatment if you offer to teach her all you know about needling. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
bethany wrote:
Panda1 wrote:

Thanks Bethany. Maybe you can get a free treatment if you offer to teach her all you know about needling. Laughing

Doubtful, but if I do I will be sure to disclose it! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Panda1 wrote:

This is how I got started. I had a treatment with one of the DermaPen trainers and we talked through the entire session. I asked a million questions and some of the answers I liked and some I didn't. But I have that same issue with estheticians. When they start telling me about their products I start to cringe.
doodles
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the in-depth info Bethany! It is too bad that this unit isn't available to the general public, as it sounds like there was a lot of thought that went into its design.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
Panda1 wrote:
This is how I got started. I had a treatment with one of the DermaPen trainers and we talked through the entire session. I asked a million questions and some of the answers I liked and some I didn't. But I have that same issue with estheticians. When they start telling me about their products I start to cringe.

Ugh...I would have to say that was off limits right up front. I am committed to what I am using for at least the next 6-12 months, no exceptions!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
Panda1 wrote:

Ugh...I would have to say that was off limits right up front. I am committed to what I am using for at least the next 6-12 months, no exceptions!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Bethany! The part of about the bevelled design is particularly interesting. It seems that each of these devices has to have a feature that helps set it apart from the others...with the DJ it was the "duty cycle" and now this with the R-pen.

BFG

PS - know what you all mean about the selling of a particular line...this also happens to me at the hair cutting place...I cringe too.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
I just did my first DermaJet treatment. I liked it but it does have some big issues.

The biggest one is that I could not change the needle depth because the needle cartridge gets stuck in the different plastic sizer pieces. I started on 1.0mm and didn't feel much. When I went to pull the needle out of that plastic collar piece it was VERY hard to get out. I went up to 1.5mm and used that for the rest of the treatment. Normally I would not use that setting EVERYWHERE but I was afraid it would get stuck.(which it did, see later on) This is a huge negative. I thought maybe it was just certain size plastic pieces so after I was done I PULLED out the needle, cleaned it and tried it in the .05mm sizer where it sits now because I can't get it out. Sad

One of the other big problems is I think a piece of the inside of the pen part is broken off. I will included some pictures and you can see that there is a little metal piece that is usually where the needle cartridge goes. I think this piece goes up and down and pushes the needles out of the cartridge. I can drop it back down in the hole and the pen does work but I can tell by the plastic end piece this was not suppose to break off. It will be very easy to lose this tiny piece in the future.

Last 2 negatives are that it is very loud. If it is right by your ear for long periods of time it's almost uncomfortable. The other is how hot the body of the DermaJet gets. I think if you are right handed maybe this isn't as big of a deal. Because I am left handed I hold it more like I would a pen. This causes my fingers to be on the body of the pen a long time. It got so hot I had to take a break when I got to my neck area and let it cool off. The reason I have to have my hand in this position is because you have to keep your finger on the power button for it to work. If you take your finger off the DermaJet will stop. I thought this was going to be a big deal when I first turned it on but it wasn't except for the heat issue. If this was used in a clinical/spa setting I could easily see this breaking down because of excessive heat. I did use the pen for a total of 50 min. (35 min before I turned it off and let it cool) If you use it for less time it might not be an issue.

My DermaJet looked a little scratched up. The power box look like it had water stains on it and the extra plastic needle holders looked used. There is no way I would put my needles in those and keep them. You will see from the pictures I upload that I don't think you can properly clean these needles and reuse them. I run my needle under hot water for 5 min straight while I pumped the needle part up and down. You can see I still have blood in the plastic part.

The good things about the DermaJet is it DOES glide. Even at the fastest setting using the 1.5mm needles. I did have to use a lot of HA. If it start to dry out at all you will have dragging of the needles on your face. You can see this in a picture of my cheek.

You can see from my pictures I was able to draw blood very easy and my face looks much worse right now then it has recently after using my My-m. So I do think this is a very strong machine.

Overall I am kind of torn on my opinion of the DermaJet. The idea of not being able to change the settings is a big deal. I will be contacting Owndoc about this and the broken piece. I can probably get around the heat by using a towel on the machine but I am concerned how long the machine will last with that kind of heat radiating from it. I did think it was a much easier and quicker way to do a roll vs my My-m. The gliding motion really made all the difference in the world.

I don't want to lose this whole book I wrote so I will upload the picture on a different post because I'm not very good at it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
Cookie, thanks for the very comprehensive review. I am personally glad I didn't go for this device. It sounds like it had promise, but just isn't there yet.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
I have no idea why some of these pictures are huge. I sized them all down but I'm tired of messing with it.

ETA: I was finally able to pull the needle out of the plastic sizer.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
Wow...you look like you have been brutalized!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
Looks like a very good result. That's allot of blood trapped in the needle cartridge and I can see it has traveled all the way down the shaft. However, this wouldn't be a biggie for me as I like to use a new cartridge for every treatment.

But I don't like the sound (no pun intended) of this device. I'm sure there's something better out there I'm hoping someone will review this one:
http://www.ibeautymachine.com/motorized-micro-needle-system-12-needle-rechargeable.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Looks like a very good result. That's allot of blood trapped in the needle cartridge and I can see it has traveled all the way down the shaft. However, this wouldn't be a biggie for me as I like to use a new cartridge for every treatment.

But I don't like the sound (no pun intended) of this device. I'm sure there's something better out there I'm hoping someone will review this one:
http://www.ibeautymachine.com/motorized-micro-needle-system-12-needle-rechargeable.html

I throw away the needles also but to each his own. I can get over the sound and the heat but the needles sticking in the plastic sizer and that broken piece are big issues to me. It was REALLY nice to be able to glide the thing though.

I like the looks of that one from ibeautymachines also.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
Cookie, excellent review! It will be interesting to see how you heal after such an aggressive session. Like 10Sylvia commented earlier, I noticed a few hours ago I seem to be coming down with a nice bout of the uglies. I don't know if this is due to the aggressive session with Dermajet almost three weeks ago, or if maybe it's the SuperCop2x I put on my face the next day just to see what would happen down the road. Also, the chaperone cream in the TBI elastin fusion stuff we use has as much CP in it as Skin Bio's SuperCops, I think. But whatever, I'm looking kind of rough, and will be interested to see how you heal over the next few weeks. What are you using post-needle?

That is a lot of blood. More than I got, I think, at least more all over. My forehead didn't get that much, for example. But we look equitable in other places, like the mouth.

The Dermajet *is* extremely powerful. I think it could be ramped down and the device would still be very effective. However, while I know how you feel, I'm not entirely convinced yet that the power is a downside. I could become convinced, just not sure yet. It may be that it's about technique. Sarah said if we exert any extra pressure on the device it could have the effect of pushing the skin up into the needle well, traumatizing the flesh more because of extra contact with the up-and-down motion, and possibly causing the needles to go a little deeper. Do you think you pushed down at all? I think I might have. Can't be sure, though. My next session I plan to do at most 1.0 and maybe only 0.5 needles, and take extra care to only glide lightly on the surface.

I did not have the problems getting the needles into the plastic needle sizer pieces that you did. I didn't find it a drawback. Sounds like your problem with that might be a QC issue.

The machine is loud...when I turned it on before needling I had my hearing aids in so I had an idea about the sound level. However, for the actual 2-hour needling session I had my hearing aids *out*. So if my unit is obnoxiously loud over the length of a session, I will always be blissfully unaware of it and not able to comment effectively on that. Rolling Eyes It simply did not occur to me how different the sound might seem to a person who can actually hear until I read your review. Thanks for that perspective.

The overheating thing you report is very concerning. Mine maybe got a little warm but not how you describe. That's a bit scary.

We'll have to see how mine pans out over time. Yours sounds like it might be a dud pretty quick. I'm wondering now if maybe because I got the "first run" of Dermajets (the original lot ordered before the manufacturer inked a deal with the other vendor) that maybe the QC on mine was better than the second run of machines they produced for owndoc. If this other company wants to sell these to professionals for 3x owndoc's price it does sound like they're going to have to overcome some big QC hurdles, unless the manufacturer deliberately screwed owndoc.

Anyway, great review! This was just to provide the counterpoint to our DJ experiences. Whatever you do with it after this, I'm glad you at least got a decent roll out of it. Keep us updated on how you heal!
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Yubs, For post needling I am using a serum I got from DermaPen. It has Vit A and C in it. Later on I put on some barrier repair cream from Epionce. These are both new products I was not using last time I "rolled".

The pictures don't actually do it justice. I looked much bloodier in person. I look like hell right now. Much worse then when I normally do a treatment with either a roller or the My-m. This is the main reason I think the DermaJet is too strong. I have skin you can drive a tractor trailer over and it looks fine. Maybe some sunburn looking areas and a few blood spots here and there. Nothing like this. I look like someone beat the crap out of me and my other rolls I have drawn as much blood as this before. So I don't think it is that. I think it is the force of the pumping action of the needle going up and down over and over.

I did use a very light pressure. I just glided over my skin. It was a different action and force then I use with my My-m. That part was REALLY nice.

I will update in a couple of days. Nomally I can go out the next morning, no problem. I have a meeting tomorrow I will probably have to cancel.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:

... Nothing like this.] I look like someone beat the crap out of me and my other rolls I have drawn as much blood as this before. So I don't think it is that. I think it is the force of the pumping action of the needle going up and down over and over.

I did use a very light pressure. I just glided over my skin.

Cookie, maybe, also, a factor was that you had to use 1.5mm on your entire face (you mentioned earlier in your terrific detailed review that there was a problem with needles/settings etc. and had to defer to using the 1.5mm through out.)

And, oh, Cookie, you brave and beautiful girl, looking at your post-treatment pics, I just want to hug you, squeeze tight and tell you, "Now, now, it'll all be all right! You'll see!" for what you endured and went through.

I know that you know contact w/ owndoc is in order.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
That's a good thought Kath, but the only areas I don't usually use 1.5mm are my undereye area and forehead. Those 2 areas don't look great but even areas like my cheeks and jowls where I always used 1.5 look terrible.

I am sure my skin will recover. I just was not expecting to look like this based on previous dermarolling experiences. Otherwise I would have planned accordingly. Thanks for the kind thoughts though.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:19 am      Reply with quote
Cookie - when you were using the DermaJet, did you feel that it was really punching your face? It does look as though the damage you have sustained is more than just holes in the skin. I don't agree with SVaughter's opinion that it takes major force to penetrate the skin - so I'm just thinking that maybe the DermaJet is using so much force that it's hammering the face.

Here is a website selling the DermaJet for 850 Swiss francs which is around $924.00.

http://www.v-skin.ch/product/derma-jet-micro-needling/?lang=en

I still think it's a bit suss that the OwnDoc ones were much cheaper and that there was the warning that some of the units had marks and scratches on them. Then the issue of quality control arose - which makes me think that they were all a bad batch which is why OwnDoc got such a good deal on them. But I'm just thinking out loud.

However, the marketing blurb on the website above does make it sound very good.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:10 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Cookie - when you were using the DermaJet, did you feel that it was really punching your face? It does look as though the damage you have sustained is more than just holes in the skin. I don't agree with SVaughter's opinion that it takes major force to penetrate the skin - so I'm just thinking that maybe the DermaJet is using so much force that it's hammering the face.

I personally feel the DermaJet may use too much force. I thought of something last night that might have an effect on how I look. In the photos above there is a picture of a broken off piece. I do not know when during the treatment this broke off since it is inside the pen and just fell out when I took the plastic sizer and needle combo out. Maybe the force of this lose piece could cause more of a hammering type response. I have NO idea if this is true. I will ask my engineer husband when I see him if this is possible. If anybody has any thoughts on this, have at it.

I do what to say I emailed Sarah at owndoc last night and sent her the picture of the broken piece. She has already gotten back to me and is refunding my total purchase price (DermaJet, extra and shipping) and has told me she does not need me to send the machine back. Thank you Sarah.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:51 am      Reply with quote
Based on viewing both Yubs and CookieD's photos, I think the DermaJet is too strong, but for anyone else out there that still plans to try it, I think the first session should be with the shorter needles. You can always increase the needle length with a subsequent session. Just MHO.

ETA: Thanks for the great review ladies!
Idealist
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:10 am      Reply with quote
What lovely smooth skin you have Cookie (beneath all that blood Laughing ). Thank you for the pictures.

I think you're right about the force factor. I would be bruised by dermajet. I look forward to you healing beautifully. Hopefully nothing more lost than a couple of days downtime. Onwards and upwards in the search for a great home electric dermastamp!
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:33 am      Reply with quote
Hey Cookie! even after all that "battering", your skin looks flawless, I dont even think that u need such aggressive treatments ( even derma rolling ) but may be it's cause of all this that your skin looks so good.. and no sag either, good for you! and thank you for posting your photos.. I hope you heal wonderfully...
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:39 am      Reply with quote
Thanks you everyone for such kind words. I am sure I will heal in no time at all. It just kind of caught me off guard.

There are new electric needling devices coming out everyday. I am sure everyone will find something that works for them. I think it is great to have choices. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:54 am      Reply with quote
I hope someone reviews the ibeauty machine soon! I want to get the plug-in model but am wary of plunking down $150 for something I won't/can't use.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:07 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |