Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Dermapen – value?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
Immacolata wrote:
I hope someone reviews the ibeauty machine soon! I want to get the plug-in model but am wary of plunking down $150 for something I won't/can't use.

you know, instead of spending $150 here and there, we should save up and spend all at once for something worth it...

I have not used the ibeauty machine (or any other) but given it's price of $150 bucks, I dont think it ll be any better than the My M pens...

Sarah had mentioned that she could be coming up with new one next year or so... I realize that her dermajet didn't go well but I m sure she ll be extra careful next time she decides to promote something...
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
I'm more inclined toward the ibeauty machine since it includes a one-year warranty. The ebay My-M models do not.

I have to save up for the $150 machines - it would take a very long time to save up for something more expensive!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
Sarah had mentioned that she could be coming up with new one next year or so... I realize that her dermajet didn't go well but I m sure she ll be extra careful next time she decides to promote something...

I personally would not purchase anything from her based on her recent posts and the info that James shared. The machine she raved about was just too far off the mark.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
Immacolata wrote:
I'm more inclined toward the ibeauty machine since it includes a one-year warranty. The ebay My-M models do not.

I have to save up for the $150 machines - it would take a very long time to save up for something more expensive!

If I was going to buy another unit at this point, I would get the higher end ibeauty model with the german motor (but only use it plugged in).

I signed up for their newsletter, and will let everyone know if I see any discounts come through.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
daler wrote:

I personally would not purchase anything from her based on her recent posts and the info that James shared. The machine she raved about was just too far off the mark.

I dont know Sarah or James personally, of course.. but both are vendors and are going to say things to make their own products look better.. James did provide a lot of good info, however his model available for consumers is like $1450!

ibeauty machine with the german motor may be a good option...
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:25 am      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
James did provide a lot of good info, however his model available for consumers is like $1450!

He said that is for the medical model. And he gets bonus points in my book for not being rude to forum members.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:09 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
daler wrote:
James did provide a lot of good info, however his model available for consumers is like $1450!

He said that is for the medical model. And he gets bonus points in my book for not being rude to forum members.

I'm confused about the connection between DermaPen US and Worldwide. There are only two models in the US (seems like there are more from the Worldwide company). The Aesthetic model with needle lengths from 0.25 to 1.0 is $2,000 - or so it said on the website. How can the medical model be so much less?
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:11 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
daler wrote:

true, but lets wait and see how long that lasts...hopefully it would...

I think keliu was quoted that price by someone, may be I am wrong...
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:40 am      Reply with quote
Panda1 wrote:
bethany wrote:
daler wrote:

I'm confused about the connection between DermaPen US and Worldwide. There are only two models in the US (seems like there are more from the Worldwide company). The Aesthetic model with needle lengths from 0.25 to 1.0 is $2,000 - or so it said on the website. How can the medical model be so much less?

I got a flyer with my purchase of serums from DermaPen. They are running this summer promo that includes a lot of extra needles and serums in a package price. They say the value of the Aesthetic model is $2000 and you can upgrade to the Medical model for $1500 more. So I would think the price for the Medical one is $3500. Now this package is $5000 (for the medical, $3500 for the Aesthic) but it includes 90 needles, 18 bottles of product and 5 peptide cooling masks.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:41 am      Reply with quote
Panda1 wrote:
Based on viewing both Yubs and CookieD's photos, I think the DermaJet is too strong, but for anyone else out there that still plans to try it, I think the first session should be with the shorter needles. You can always increase the needle length with a subsequent session. Just MHO.

ETA: Thanks for the great review ladies!

I had a 1 mm DJ session done on my face. You can see the pictures on the DJ thread. I didn't bleed at all, my face was bright pink, next morning not a sign of any abuse. I guess it all depends on a skin. Next time I am going to do a 1.5 mm session.
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:06 am      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
Panda1 wrote:
bethany wrote:
daler wrote:

I got a flyer with my purchase of serums from DermaPen. They are running this summer promo that includes a lot of extra needles and serums in a package price. They say the value of the Aesthetic model is $2000 and you can upgrade to the Medical model for $1500 more. So I would think the price for the Medical one is $3500. Now this package is $5000 (for the medical, $3500 for the Aesthic) but it includes 90 needles, 18 bottles of product and 5 peptide cooling masks.

Cookie, I saw that special and that is why I am so confused about the pricing. I'm also not sure that the US aesthetic model is available to just anyone. I would think that ALL of the models are made by the same company so what's the deal with the difference with the pricing?
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:41 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
Panda1 wrote:
Based on viewing both Yubs and CookieD's photos, I think the DermaJet is too strong, but for anyone else out there that still plans to try it, I think the first session should be with the shorter needles. You can always increase the needle length with a subsequent session. Just MHO.

ETA: Thanks for the great review ladies!

I had a 1 mm DJ session done on my face. You can see the pictures on the DJ thread. I didn't bleed at all, my face was bright pink, next morning not a sign of any abuse. I guess it all depends on a skin. Next time I am going to do a 1.5 mm session.

I did 1.5 on most of my FND, and my face wasn't as badly pummeled as Cookie's, although my neck looked worse. I did have bruising and some swelling, though. However, I think it's a misstatement to say that you should never have brusing or swelling, ever. Setterfield mentions the potential in his book and how to address it. I think what we could say is don't strive to be aggressive enough to cause it, just to be on the safe side (which is a big departure from needling thought that in place here 3-5 years ago, when aggressive needling was sought after, point in case about the evolution of prevailing wisdom). The degree of comfort of the subject with any resultant bruising and swelling should likely be considered, as well.

The Dermajet may be overpowered, but it could also be that you can overcome the over-power by technique. As long as mine is running, I'm going to try. Next step is shorter needles and deliberately lighter hand pressure. We'll see how it goes.

Russian, just be careful with the longer needles. But looking forward to hearing how it goes with you.
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:54 am      Reply with quote
Yubs, so what about scarring? Why are we so sure that aggressive treatments can't cause scarring - even if it is just scar tissue that is forming instead of collagen? I understand aggressive needling to break up existing scar tissue, but I'm a bit concerned about the potential for scarring when there is nothing to break up. But I am also willing to admit that this may be needless worry.
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:34 am      Reply with quote
Panda1 wrote:
Yubs, so what about scarring? Why are we so sure that aggressive treatments can't cause scarring - even if it is just scar tissue that is forming instead of collagen? I understand aggressive needling to break up existing scar tissue, but I'm a bit concerned about the potential for scarring when there is nothing to break up. But I am also willing to admit that this may be needless worry.

That's what's stopping me from needling all over ( only doing it on scars for now).. i think Sarah from owndoc had also mentioned that at this time she doesn't know the long term effects of repeated needling ...
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:48 am      Reply with quote
Hey Panda and daler--NOT advocating longer aggressive needling here. Please read my post again.

I guess I didn't phrase myself clearly, but what I said about bruising and swelling was more to address what I perceive to be James's flat declaration that there should NEVER be any. Which implies that any bruising and swelling is really bad, and is something to worry about if it occurs. I don't think that's the case, based on what I've read so far, and I believe that the statement could cause people needless worry. However, I definitely think we should strive not to cause it (as I said above)...what I meant was not to worry if it happened and just move on.

What I said about comfort level was just about the relativity of the issue. For example, Cookie may have been more bruised and worried about her situation than I was worried about mine, although I was a bit bruised and swollen, too. I went to the market the day after my DJ session, and, as I mentioned somewhere else, did get the hairy eye from a couple passers-by because of my appearance. Laughing But it just didn't bother me that much. I'm going to strive not to get bruised and swollen again, however. I didn't enjoy it, even if I was not that concerned about it.

Also said I was going to try shorter needles next time. If we can get good or better effects with shorter needles that would be great, for pain control if nothing else.

It will be interesting to see what Setterfield has to say now, after a few more years of collecting data, when his new book comes out.
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:51 am      Reply with quote
Yubs wrote:
Hey Panda and daler--NOT advocating longer aggressive needling here. Please read my post again.

Hi Yubs, no, I didnt say that in response to your post; I have been thinking about this concern the past several years..
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:57 am      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
Yubs wrote:

Hi Yubs, no, I didnt say that in response to your post; I have been thinking about this concern the past several years..

Okay, I see. And yep, I agree, it is a concern. Like young women in their 20's now who are getting those really large, unfortunate looking tattoos all over their every-day viewable skin, we middle-aged women may really regret all this needling and microcurrent when we're 80. I'm willing to take the chance, but totally understand why some are not.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:57 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:

Hi RS, I think you said earlier that you couldn't glide the DermaJet on your face. If you did, I wonder if that had anything to do with the different results. I purposely didn't use any numbing cream either so I wouldn't get too carried away. Also how long was roll? I take a long time on my rolls (30 min. this time on face alone) because I do it only 6 times on year and I want to make sure I do a very thorough job. Maybe if you needle for less time the "hammer" type motion will not leave any bruising.

I personally think there is some quality issues between these things just like with the My-m. Some break right away. Others seem to be fine. That could very well effect the varing results.

Daler, I think the best example of long term rolling results would be Dr. F. Some of his results could be genetics, diet, lifestyle etc. but he does look good for over 70 and he has done a lot of rolling in his lifetime.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:16 am      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:

Daler, I think the best example of long term rolling results would be Dr. F. Some of his results could be genetics, diet, lifestyle etc. but he does look good for over 70 and he has done a lot of rolling in his lifetime.

Agreed, he has really nice skin... no facelift can improve skin's texture, AFAIK...
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
Yubs wrote:
daler wrote:
Yubs wrote:

Okay, I see. And yep, I agree, it is a concern. Like young women in their 20's now who are getting those really large, unfortunate looking tattoos all over their every-day viewable skin, we middle-aged women may really regret all this needling and microcurrent when we're 80. I'm willing to take the chance, but totally understand why some are not.

Yubs, maybe it was me that didn't communicate so well. I was really just asking for your opinion. The potential for scarring or scar tissue build up is something that concerns me, and I was just wondering what others thought.
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
I wonder if it possible to create a scar with a dermapen. The rep we use told us it was not possible to over treat. I guess if you went over an area 9+ times and turned the skin into hamburger.... But you would have to try very hard to create long term problems. I can imagine more problems with a derma roller using the star pattern as the center gets rolled over and over.
I think the needles in most pen devices are very slim, I know the skinpen uses 32 gauge. I think dermapen is 33 or 32.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:

Hi RS, I think you said earlier that you couldn't glide the DermaJet on your face. If you did, I wonder if that had anything to do with the different results. I purposely didn't use any numbing cream either so I wouldn't get too carried away. Also how long was roll? I take a long time on my rolls (30 min. this time on face alone) because I do it only 6 times on year and I want to make sure I do a very thorough job. Maybe if you needle for less time the "hammer" type motion will not leave any bruising.

CookieD, I was not able to glide the DermaJet on my neck, but gliding was possible on my cheeks. It took me a long time to do the procedure ( I did not do the forehead).
Unfortunately, I did not use a timer, but I got really tired doing it. I wanted to see some blood but then I got so exhausted that I gave up.

That being said, I have never bled with a 1.5 mm dermastamp either.

Since Sarah said that the DermaJet is so powerful that one should use shorter needles with the DJ than with a manual stamp or dermaroller, I used 1 mm needles instead of 1.5 mm. I sure hope to see some blood from the DJ with 1.5 mm needles!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
LauraLizzie wrote:

I think the needles in most pen devices are very slim, I know the skinpen uses 32 gauge. I think dermapen is 33 or 32.

The needles in the Environ roller are very thin as well. The DJ needles definitely looked thicker to me....maybe Cookie can compare them to the My-M needles.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:42 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:

To clarify regarding price: When I enquired, there were three models, the Medical, Professional and Personal. The Medical is not available to the general public. The Personal has a fixed needle length of 0.3mm. The Professional has a needle range of 0.25 - 1.00mm and the price I was quoted for that was AUD$1,495. Here is the email I received from the supplier Equipmed:

Quote:
As per the message I left for you on your mobile, please find below the pricing of the Dermapen and associated consumer products and a link to a patient brochure. If you would like to catch up to view the device, please contact me either on mobile or email.

Dermapen $1495.00 gst
Box of 30 needles $ 600.00 + gst ( 1 needle per treatment $20)
30 ml HA- $99.00 + gst. ( will last approx 8-9 patients full face)

Here's a link to "COSDPS0003SemiPatientBrochure.pdf" in my Dropbox:
http://db.tt/KQSZ4qVX

Regards

Jason Woodward
Qld- Business Development Manager
Equipmed
0407 68 94 94
jason@equipmed.com

Now when I look at the email again, I'm not sure whether that price includes the GST or not - it's not clear.

I suggest anyone who is interested in the Professional model emails Jason and gets some specific pricing information.

BTW, the price of the Hyaluronic Acid is outrageous - and that says + GST. I have a horrible feeling the + sign is missing in the price of the Professional Dermapen!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:49 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

If I was going to buy another unit at this point, I would get the higher end ibeauty model with the german motor (but only use it plugged in).

I signed up for their newsletter, and will let everyone know if I see any discounts come through.

I would buy anything with a German motor Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:14 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |