Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How to use: Tretinoin cream and glycolic acid cleanser?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
aubreytil

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster here Smile

I'm 24 with oily skin. For the past several months, I started developing mild to moderate acne, most likely due to stress from reviewing for the Bar Exams. (I never used to be acne-prone!) Most of the flare-ups have died down by now, but I still get tiny bumps on my forehead and chin, and a pimple or two on my cheeks. PIH is more of a problem for me now; I have medium olive skin that's a little too generous with its melanin!

I'm currently using the following:

AM - Neutrogena Pore Refining Facial Wash with salicylic acid and AHA (discontinued, but I love it!), Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream with retinol (for my PIH).

PM - Garnier salicylic acid facial wash (I like it for night since it's foamy and removes makeup), Stieva-A 0.025% tretinoin.

Question: I recently purchased the Aqua Glycolic Facial Wash because of very good reviews for acne and PIH. Since my Neutrogena facial wash was discontinued, I'm thinking of using the Aqua as a replacement. How do I incorporate this into my regimen?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:37 am      Reply with quote
You can just use as you normally would use a cleanser. Its not a leave on AHA so there shouldn't be an issue unless you find the cleanser irritating.
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
Does your AM moisturizer have SPF? Using retinol in the morning and retin-a at night means SPF is a MUST!

I use a glycolic wash in the AM, a retinol serum/SPF in the AM and generic retin-a (some) nights. And a Clarisonic a few days a week! Some skin can take it! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
It is important to wait 15 minutes after you have clean your face to apply the tretinoid. This reduse the possible iration effect.

I was told by my dermatologist and It is true that it helps the irritation.
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
I have acne prone skin and find that a 2% salicylic acid leave on product by day, and a retin a product at night is the only thing that keeps it at bay. I have tried a lot of the nutrogena products and find them too harsh. The only one I still use is the clear pore astringent with 2% salicylic acid. But I mostly use it on my body, only on my face in a pinch. DDF and Being True make great serum's with 2% salicylic acid that don't strip your face.
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, and for retin a, if you don't already know about it, you can get it cheap ordering from all day chemist in india. They make a great strong gel by shalaks, and they have johnson & johnson creams that are more soothing but really effective. Order a bunch and figure out what works for your skin...
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
Lastly, for cleanser... I have found using a super mild cleanser, (not for acne, more for sensitive skin) helps when using 2% acid and retin a. It is a lot of strong product, and you might not need a cleanser to further exfoliation. I am not loyal to any particular cleanser, being true has many that are great, so does DDF, lately I have been using a lavender cream cleaner by cowshed, while traveling I was using a friend's cerave cleanser which was great too.....
aubreytil

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:39 am      Reply with quote
LauraLizzie wrote:
Does your AM moisturizer have SPF? Using retinol in the morning and retin-a at night means SPF is a MUST!

I use a glycolic wash in the AM, a retinol serum/SPF in the AM and generic retin-a (some) nights. And a Clarisonic a few days a week! Some skin can take it! Smile

Yup! I'm currently using VMV Armada with SPF 60. It's the only sunscreen which doesn't give me rashes (weird).

We have similar regimens! I switched to a new regimen because the previous one stopped giving me results.

AM: Aqua Glycolic cleanser (10% glycolic acid), sunscreen. (Planning to get the Alpha Hydrox Oil-Free moisturizer)
PM: Alba Botanica Acnedote (2% SA), 0.025% tretinoin.

I've only been on this regimen for a week, so far, it's giving me great results!
aubreytil

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:44 am      Reply with quote
butterflyrainbow wrote:
Lastly, for cleanser... I have found using a super mild cleanser, (not for acne, more for sensitive skin) helps when using 2% acid and retin a. It is a lot of strong product, and you might not need a cleanser to further exfoliation. I am not loyal to any particular cleanser, being true has many that are great, so does DDF, lately I have been using a lavender cream cleaner by cowshed, while traveling I was using a friend's cerave cleanser which was great too.....

Thanks for your input! What leave on SA product are you using? I don't have a lot of acne nowadays, just little bumps on my forehead and below my ears. Could be my shampoo?

I wanted to stick to a gentle cleanser but i needed something foamy at night to remove my makeup. I'm using an all-natural 2% SA cleanser at night, and thankfully, it removes even my waterproof makeup. The AHA cleanser I'm using in the morning is ph-balanced, does that help?
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:06 am      Reply with quote
I use these two products by day now and am very happy with them:
-True Cosmetics Essential Pore and Complexion Refiner
-True Cosmetics Purifying Blemish Treatment

I used to use this and liked it quite a bit, I just think the True Cosmetics are a little stronger, which is good for me... If you have lighter amounts of acne this could be good for you too:
-DDF Glycolic 10% Exfoliating Oil Control Gel

I haven't tried it, but a make-up artist friend highly recommended this:
-Murad Acne Spot Treatment
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:10 am      Reply with quote
On thing that sounds good about the spot treatment is that it has sulphur as a main ingredient. For really bad spots, I put a bit of a clay mask with sulphur on it overnight. That helps a lot.

-True Cosmetics Purifying Therapeutic Mask
is what I use now.

DDF made a great sulphur & clay mask, but I don't see it listed on the EDS website...
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:15 am      Reply with quote
And as to your question about cleansers, I find for me the trick with using products to help with acne is to strike a balance where you are fighting the acne as strong as you can without drying out your skin. When you cross the line, skin gets flaky and gross. When using strong topicals, sometimes using a cleanser that is not geared towards acne, but more for sensitive skin seems to help for me. If you are using something Ph Balanced, that sounds good. I really stick to the topicals I mentioned above, but I switch cleansers pretty regularly. Gentle, sensitive cleansers seem to be the best for me.

I only use cleansers geared towards acne right before I use a device like the NuFace, which suggests your skin not have any oiliness on it. Its expensive, but I have found the NuFace to be very helpful for my acne.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:44 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |