Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Is Rice Bran oil a good Sunscreen substitute?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
morocha
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:30 am      Reply with quote
Here is some info:

http://pattayatoday.net/features/beauty-and-wellness/younger-looking-skin-with-rice-bran-oil/

http://voices.yahoo.com/rice-bran-oil-as-natural-sunscreen-7337600.html?cat=5

I'm really concerned about any type of chemical and natural sunscreen active ingredient, specially the cell oxidation rumors on some active ingredients like zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, also chemicals mexoryl, avobenzone...etc...I just don't want secondary effects in health or skin. I'm looking for the purest and non harmful form of sun protection and Rice Bran Oil seems to cover most of sunblock needs as well as avoiding tanning?

Please help and advice on this topic. I'd like to clear aby doubts before purchasing Rice Bran Oil and testing my skin reaction, my main concern is free radicals and skin tanning. It seems Rice Bran Oil blocks the cell melanin production in the skin.

Thank You.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:50 am      Reply with quote
I would careful about doing this.

Also, the second site has user-submitted content.
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:00 am      Reply with quote
Those oils/extracts that claim to offer UV protection do really work (sesame, soybean, raspberry and a couple others). Almost. They have a catch there though. They are protecting skin from the UVB range at best of times (far from broad spectrum) and depending on the season, extraction and processing methods and other details. Very difficult to determine the exact SPF (if there is one) without testing each batch.
Most benefit you can expect from oils like rice bran is in form of the antioxidant constituents who work same way like any store bought antioxidant serum, provided there is a decent concentration of phenols, carotenoides, glycosides, or whatever else constituents.
Means they don`t provide UV protection per se, but help counteract the effects of UV damage within skin. There is a good reason why these constituents are extracted and used in higher concentration in skin care products, to benefit from gamma oryzanol one would have to use crude rice bran oil (has ~2% γ-oryzanol) and it`s a dark brown greasy substance. Easier to just buy some powdered extract and adding to moisturizer at twice the concentration without the excess oil. And then using a decent sunscreen on top. Cool
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
I've stopped using the so called natural sunscreens with titanium dioxide because they ruined my clothes. White stains that won't come out. I'm sticking the Clinique City Block for my face and Neutrogena Ultra Sheer or whatever it's called dry touch for my body.
morocha
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
I think I'm going to switch from physical to chemical sunblocks because I found out that zinc oxide can deteriorate your cell DNA...plus I found a good sunscreen that is suppose to prevent tanning of my skin.

Not really sure about the DNA damage though...
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
morocha wrote:
I think I'm going to switch from physical to chemical sunblocks because I found out that zinc oxide can deteriorate your cell DNA...plus I found a good sunscreen that is suppose to prevent tanning of my skin.

From where did you hear that?
morocha
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
morocha wrote:

From where did you hear that?

Here:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120507131951.htm
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:51 am      Reply with quote
hmmm, that is interesting. I know chemical sunscreens generate free radicals so if zinc does too, then I guess they are equal in that issue. Unless one generates more vs the other kind.

Not sure what to think about the lung tissue soaked in nano zinc. I don't soak my skin in zinc and never inside my lungs!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
All these scientists and investigations are making me crazy! I wonder if it's a battle between interests??
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
morocha wrote:
All these scientists and investigations are making me crazy! I wonder if it's a battle between interests??

I'm not sure you will ever have a definitive answer. New studies are always being done and science changes as it learns new things. The thing I don't like about this study is that it is done on human lung cells that are immersed in a solution of nano particles of zinc oxide. We as consumers do not put sunscreen on the cells of our lungs that are inside our bodies. We put it on our skin and to me that is a BIG difference. Also it doesn't mention how much zinc is in the solution or how much cell deterioration happens to the control group and all kinds of other things. My personal belief is that we are better off using sunscreen then not and what ever kind you buy should be something you are willing to wear because if you don't like how it feels, color etc. you aren't going to use it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
morocha wrote:
Here:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120507131951.htm

my first thought was of the studies I read referencing spray-on sunscreens and their negative effects due to the potential of inhaling the particles
but after skimming the above link
it seems now even a mineral-based topical sunscreen must have sufficient antioxidants to counter the effects of radical-producing zinc-oxide

CookieD, you're right,
scientific research on sunscreens is always on-going and it's vexing to try to keep up...
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:26 am      Reply with quote
I was unimpressed with rice bran oil. I doubt you will get any appreciable SPF from it that could replace sunscreen. Maybe with seabuckthorn berry oil or other potent oils, you could get an SPF of 2-4, but that's not enough to day out in the sun much longer.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:

The thing I don't like about this study is that it is done on human lung cells that are immersed in a solution of nano particles of zinc oxide. We as consumers do not put sunscreen on the cells of our lungs that are inside our bodies. We put it on our skin and to me that is a BIG difference. Also it doesn't mention how much zinc is in the solution or how much cell deterioration happens to the control group and all kinds of other things.

I agree with all this^ so much, you wouldn't believe it even if I began to explain why. Laughing

There are such an overwhelming amount of studies done on the positive effects of topical zinc oxide. It's enough to make your head spin; seriously! There's no reason to fret over only one study, especially one performed ex vivo. If it's safe enough for a baby's skin that's good enough for me! (Granted, very young skin has a greater affinity for alkaline ingredients. But still.)

As far as using rbo as a sunscreen...I will also have to ditto what has already been said. There is no way an organic all-natural ingredient will ever have a consistent spf from batch to batch, and it's a bad idea to use it for sunscreen/sunblocking purposes. If you want to use rbo to help augment a real spf, then do that instead!

Besides, I thought red raspberry seed oil was supposed to have the most potential as a stand alone sunscreen. Did that get thrown out the window when I wasn't looking?
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:47 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |