Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

cyst/scar is ruining my life- Please help

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
tomisonbottom
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
I am looking for some help or input with my situation. If any of you have experienced this PLEASE let me know how it turned out for you and if you can offer any solutions.

I have had cysts before (a year an a half ago I had them) and succssfully treated my acne with diet and retin A topically.

I pretty much had fairly clear skin until 2 months ago when I developed a horrible cyst on my chin (have not stuck to a clean diet and have been HORRBILY stressed). I have had 3 cortisone injections to treat it.

On my 3rd cortisone shot for the first time it was not really liquid or pus inside anymore. The dr said it's more "gel like' and that he didn't think its not a normal infection anymore. Consequently, all the normal antibacterial, antibiotic, antiinflammatory treatments won't be very effective. He said if it's becoming firmer that means its probably developing into scar tissue.
He said he wouldn't do another injection for at least a month.

And when he put the needle in it hurt for the 1st time. The 2 times prior to this injection it was just injected into liquid/pus and it really didn't hurt at all so I know there's some truth to what he said about it become harder and changing.
Right now I can still feel the "sac" or "capsule" of liquid or whatever it is under my skin.

I've been trying anti inflammatory stuff like; icing, aspirin, lavendar oil.
I've also soaked it with hydrogen peroxide.
I think all these remedies are awesome; I just think this cyst was too far gone and too deep down to effectively be treated that way perhaps?

Lastly, I tried something that I read about 2days ago on here that worked for someone; it's called PRID, it's a drawing salve/boil treatment and I'm wondering if that's what made it firmer.
Or maybe the Hyrdogen peroxide firmed it up because I know that stuff is super drying.

My question is: is there hope for treating this now? Has anyone else had this happen? How do you treat something like that? I read a post on here about Apple cider vinegar and warm compress melting the hard cyst but I don't know it they had the same type I have right now.
I don't really care if it's just going to die and stay there along with scar tissue except for the fact that I have a big dime sized raised bump there.
Of course I've tried poking in it and there's no head; just blood that comes out.
It's weird because it still kinda hurts so I don't think it's done being active and I can feel movement that kinda feels like a gel there. One derm I saw said it's an active scar, I don't know what that means.
It doesn't respond to ANY treatment which makes it seem like its dormant but if it was dormant I would think it would be solid, right? It's pretty fim but it's not hard and solid like what scar tissue feels like.

It appears to be raised but it really a visual illusion; it's not raised it's just pitted/and or pulling the skin down around the "capsule" or "sac", whatever you want to call it.

Someone please tell me there's hope for this! I've been hiding in my house for 2 months! What can I do?
Indium
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
you could try using a high frequency device if you have one or have access to one.
Make sure your skin is cleansed and then you would move the electrode around and over the cyst for up to 3-5 minutes (not more). Do this once in the morning and once in the evening. For acne it is better to use one with an argon gas(purplish gas) electrode. People say the high frequency helps them with acne and some cysts. It can help to kill the bacteria that is inside it and make the healing time go a little faster. It can help bring blood flow and encourage healing. It can be drying to the skin so be aware and do not ever go over 5 minutes.
you would have to do it over a period of several days or week...it will not go away overnight.
Chocolat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
I can almost feel your pain! I've had cysts that needed injections, but not one as severe as what you describe.
I agreed with the high-freq suggestion. Two more things came to mind: castor oil is a drawing type of oil. And maybe some Rhassoul clay mixed with water. Keep that on over night, and if you're at home during the day, just keep putting some fresh clay on every few hours. It has tons of beneficial stuff for the skin that is healing, but it's also really helped some spottiness I've been dealing with. You don't want to get overly-dry there.

I don't know anything about Prid.

I'd really try to leave it alone as much as possible, other than the high-frequency. I know the temptation to poke and pry is tremendous, but you'll only get a worse scar and maybe more infection. Good luck!
Chocolat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
Another spot treatment possibility:

http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/australian-clay-washed-blue-p-629.html
tomisonbottom
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, actually I have it in castor oil with a band aid now and am going to start sleeping like that; I had done that several weeks back and it did seem to to help.
And I will look into the frequency device; I definitely don't that and haven't used one but will try anything at this point.
Have you used the electrode for acne; if so did it work?
Thanks!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:40 am      Reply with quote
I have one from a cyst that was injected that I have had over 29 years. It had 2 injections of cortisone to "soften" it at the time but it is still raised (like a small mole).
Many derms have looked at it thru the years and the only advice they had was to remove it surgically but they said the scar from the stich would be as large.
I have had a little bit of luck removing it topically, layer by layer with a spot treatment of TCA. It is slow and the recovery takes about 10 days at a time to peel and the redness to go down.
Although it may be shallower, it is still there. I just don't worry about it as much as I used to so I guess I have just gotten used to it after all these years. Still don't like it though. Crying or Very sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:13 am      Reply with quote
Just be careful as castor oil is drying, and you want healing but not painful drying/cracking. It's a tricky balance sometimes.

I would search on Amazon for 'high frequency devices' and be sure to read the reviews on each one. You can probably pick up a fairly good one for around $100. I have a Dermawand, which does gets mixed consumer reviews, but I have found that it calms my skin after extractions, and helps any pimples I get come to a resolution more quickly.

Acupuncture might also help, or you could try accupressure points for acne. You can Google that to find out what those points are. I'd also avoid an acidic diet (alcohol, processed foods, sugar, and high protein) and try to make your system more alkaline for a while. And avoid stress! Focus on things that keep you calm. This too shall pass.
Indium
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
If you want to feel what a high frequency treatment feels like before you buy one you can also try to find a local spa that offers a facial that includes high frequency.
Usually an esthetician knowledgeable in acne treatment should know about the high frequency and how to use it correctly.

Of course one treatment at a spa will not get rid of the problem but if you decide to get a High frequency device you would be able to have a better idea of the type of device you should get and how it should feel.

Whatever you choose to do, always do your research.

Here is one video I found demonstrating high frequency treatment in a spa setting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xilXrGo2lfk&feature=related

hope that helps Smile
tomisonbottom
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Chocolat, but you said:

Quote:
Just be careful as castor oil is drying, and you want healing but not painful drying/cracking. It's a tricky balance sometimes.

I am so confused by this, castor oil softens the skin; I've never found it drying, can you help me understand why you say that?
Stork
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:05 am      Reply with quote
I have suffered with cysts for most of my adult life.

So i have tried and tested many regimes, and know what works amazingly well for cysts, at least in my experience

What I would recommend is TURMERIC

If you can buy this spice in powder form, take 2 teaspoons in a cup of hot water or milk. MAKE SURE it's hot or warm, otherwise its VERY unpalatable.

Do this three times a day

This has saved me so many times with cysts!!! I can't emphasize it enough!!

I haven't had a cyst now in over a year, well over a year.

I now do a maintenance and use an antibiotic prescription cream. AS SOON AS I FEEL THE BUMP FORMING, i apply the cream fast. The trick I find, is getting to the bump bfre it gets too inflamed!! This kills the cysts much easier and quicker.

Pls do try this regime . I only do the turmeric if I have an active cyst on my face.

You can also apply the turmeric to the cyst, but I find it works much better , when you take it in oral form.
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:49 am      Reply with quote
Stork wrote:
I have suffered with cysts for most of my adult life.

So i have tried and tested many regimes, and know what works amazingly well for cysts, at least in my experience

What I would recommend is TURMERIC

If you can buy this spice in powder form, take 2 teaspoons in a cup of hot water or milk. MAKE SURE it's hot or warm, otherwise its VERY unpalatable.

Do this three times a day

This has saved me so many times with cysts!!! I can't emphasize it enough!!

I haven't had a cyst now in over a year, well over a year.

I now do a maintenance and use an antibiotic prescription cream. AS SOON AS I FEEL THE BUMP FORMING, i apply the cream fast. The trick I find, is getting to the bump bfre it gets too inflamed!! This kills the cysts much easier and quicker.

Pls do try this regime . I only do the turmeric if I have an active cyst on my face.

You can also apply the turmeric to the cyst, but I find it works much better , when you take it in oral form.

I have a large, old cyst on my leg that is very unsightly (to me anyway). I want to try this, thank you. Maybe next summer I can actually wear shorts!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:02 am      Reply with quote
Stork, thank, I have been taking turmeric but I don't know exactly how much, I usually eat twice a day and I sprinkle a generous amount on whatever I'm eating; I don't mind the taste.
Does it do anything for a cyst you already have in your experience?
And how often do you apply your antibiotic cream?
Does it work on a cyst that's already there?
Stork
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:11 am      Reply with quote
you need to take the amount that i mentioned in my post and at least three times a day, for the cyst you have

sprinkling it on your food is not enough.

yes it works wonders on a cyst that has alreayd formed.

now that your cyst is formed, the antibiotic cream is too late.

thats why taking the amount of turmeric i mentioned orally will work from the inside out

google cysts and turmeric and read ppl's testimonials. that's how i found out about it, and started using it, but u need a high dosage, not just sprinkling on food

good luck and report back here pls to let me know your progress with it.

Stork mum
Stork
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:14 am      Reply with quote
i forgot to mention

you must add a generous sprinkle of black pepper to the turmeric milk drink.

this helpps your body absorb the turmeric, as the turmeric has a difficult time absorbing.

I drink this concoction through a straw, as don't want to stain my teeth.
tomisonbottom
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, that is so helpful. I've been taking turmeric but frustrated that I wasn't seeing a lot of change, I didn't take pepper though to help it absorb and I wasn't taking that much. Just to verify it's 2 teaspoons, not tablespoons, right?
And also, if I don't mind the taste can I take it cold or does it need to be warm for better absorption?
thanks again
tomisonbottom
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
Indium wrote:
you could try using a high frequency device if you have one or have access to one.
Make sure your skin is cleansed and then you would move the electrode around and over the cyst for up to 3-5 minutes (not more). Do this once in the morning and once in the evening. For acne it is better to use one with an argon gas(purplish gas) electrode. People say the high frequency helps them with acne and some cysts. It can help to kill the bacteria that is inside it and make the healing time go a little faster. It can help bring blood flow and encourage healing. It can be drying to the skin so be aware and do not ever go over 5 minutes.
you would have to do it over a period of several days or week...it will not go away overnight.

I looked at these and they are very expensive; just wondering can you point me to someone who has personal experience in this working? Its just a lot to spend not knowing if it works.
Thanks!
Indium
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
tomisonbottom wrote:

I looked at these and they are very expensive; just wondering can you point me to someone who has personal experience in this working? Its just a lot to spend not knowing if it works.
Thanks!

I believe there are tons of people on this forum who have positive feedback on high frequency if you do a search for high frequency here on EDS.

here are posts I found on another forum:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/203289-high-frequency-treatment/

I am sure there are others too, just search on here and on the internet Smile
tomisonbottom
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thank, I actually bought one already, here's hopin g it works!
illumina

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:58 am      Reply with quote
Cortisone can make things worse in the long term. Personally I believe stay away from pharmaceuticals of all types and find natural resolutions that wont poison your organs.

What you really need to do is resolve the internal issues that are causing these cysts.

Firstly have your thyroid tested.

Secondly detox your body. Clean your colon and your liver, these are vital for clear skin. I would recommend colonic irrigation or a Dr Natura colon cleanse supplements pack. But irrigation is best and irrigate also with coffee. If you know nothing about this, go to a center where they do it for you. Expect to feel worse before you feel better, as your body detoxes and expels all the rubbish clogging up your system.

Thirdly eat a clean diet, only organic, stay away from all processed food, sugars, wheat, soya, lactose (cow dairy) only eat goat products. Do not eat any corn, rye, barley, gluten, eat red meat very rarely and only grass fed meat, all meat should be freerange and antibiotic free and NOT corn fed. Dont drink tea or coffee or soda or alcohol, only drink water and herbal teas and freshly squeezed juice. Do not ever eat GMO- google GMO foods you'll be surprised to know that many foods like Kelloggs special K and a whole myriad of our staple foods contain GE.
GMOs are very bad for health and tissue. They have huge amounts of pesticides in them that slowly kill our organs. GMOs are POISON. Google agent orange and GMO and you'll see that the same chemical used to kill Vietnamese during the Vietnam war is used in all GMO foods.

Eat lots of raw veggies and have 3 helpings of veggies with every meal. Diminish carbs drastically and follow a diet that is mostly paleo. Eat some low sugar fruits like berries etc.

Fourthly: I agree, do take a good quality turmeric supplement but remember you cannot take it for more than a couple of months.

Fifthly: check all your vitamins for filler such as magnesium stearate, silica, soy, if they have more than one filler throw them out.

I suffered from ill health and such issues for many years and it was only when I cleaned up my entire diet and system that all this improved.

If necessary PM me and I can recommend a holistic healer who can help diagnose and treat you further.

This may sound extreme but if you really want to clean up your skin you have to clean your system because that is what is causing all of this.
tomisonbottom
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
illumina wrote:
Cortisone can make things worse in the long term. Personally I believe stay away from pharmaceuticals of all types and find natural resolutions that wont poison your organs.

What you really need to do is resolve the internal issues that are causing these cysts.

Firstly have your thyroid tested.

Secondly detox your body. Clean your colon and your liver, these are vital for clear skin. I would recommend colonic irrigation or a Dr Natura colon cleanse supplements pack. But irrigation is best and irrigate also with coffee. If you know nothing about this, go to a center where they do it for you. Expect to feel worse before you feel better, as your body detoxes and expels all the rubbish clogging up your system.

Thirdly eat a clean diet, only organic, stay away from all processed food, sugars, wheat, soya, lactose (cow dairy) only eat goat products. Do not eat any corn, rye, barley, gluten, eat red meat very rarely and only grass fed meat, all meat should be freerange and antibiotic free and NOT corn fed. Dont drink tea or coffee or soda or alcohol, only drink water and herbal teas and freshly squeezed juice. Do not ever eat GMO- google GMO foods you'll be surprised to know that many foods like Kelloggs special K and a whole myriad of our staple foods contain GE.
GMOs are very bad for health and tissue. They have huge amounts of pesticides in them that slowly kill our organs. GMOs are POISON. Google agent orange and GMO and you'll see that the same chemical used to kill Vietnamese during the Vietnam war is used in all GMO foods.

Eat lots of raw veggies and have 3 helpings of veggies with every meal. Diminish carbs drastically and follow a diet that is mostly paleo. Eat some low sugar fruits like berries etc.

Fourthly: I agree, do take a good quality turmeric supplement but remember you cannot take it for more than a couple of months.

Fifthly: check all your vitamins for filler such as magnesium stearate, silica, soy, if they have more than one filler throw them out.

Thanks for your helpful post.
How do I do get my thyroid tested?
I just bought some iodine but there's so much overwhelming info out there I haven't started it yet.

I am already eating clean, grass fed or pastured as much as possible, paleo diet.

Why did you say you can't take turmeric very long? i

As for vitamins; How is that possible? Where do you find supplements without magnesium stearate in them?

Thanks!
tomisonbottom
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:54 am      Reply with quote
k, I am very sympathetic to everyone who suffers acne on here.
However out of all the pictures I've seen I haven't seen anyone's who looks like mine and I'm wondering if this is even acne?
Nothing works on these 2 "cysts" I have. I've been trying heat, all kinds of stuff which just the burn and peel the skin with no results.

It's now bee 3 months and have had 1 more pop up in the last 3 weeks that I've been treating and fighting every single day. My life revolves around my cysts; I don't want to go out in public so I spend all my time trying to treat it. I'm going crazy.

I'm getting so frustrated. So many people on here are like, oh yeah, cystic acne might take a week or two to go away............I've had this for months!!!

Am I totally abnormal in this? having cysts that lasts and are big bumps on your face for months?
The pictures I see of cystic ance are not as big or really anything like mine. The pictures I've seen are maybe big under the skin but only look like more normal large pimples/redness.
Mine have the whole size showing up. As in as big as they are under the skin is what you see on top. They are .5mm wide; the size of a dime and they are high off my face. When I push on it you can see a white kinda firm area; almost what scar tissue looks like but it's fluctuant, I can feel the "sac" and it's kinda like gel material inside. And people talk about popping them; thats not possible with mine. Every time I've pricked them there's just blood.
I'm suspecting I have hormonal issue because they're only on my chin and the rest of my face is clear.
Unless, these are boils? I just don't know what to do; I'm desperate.

I've never in my life dellt with this before. I did have cysts before but they never stuck around this long. I think it's because of my hormones I've been so stressed that my body is having a hard time fixing itself.

But I'd like to know if anyone has any input for long term cysts; what's your most effective remedy? Is there anything that works for these typs of deep large raised bumps with no head?

Is there anyone on here that has what I have?
I've been taking turmeric 3x/day, I've been applying heat and clay masks, I've used the high frequency machine and it definitely dries and sometimes burns the skin but I don't know if it's doing anything else.
Indium
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:43 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe you can post a photo of just the area of your face where the cyst is so people on this forum can see what you see and hopefully better help.

Sometimes Cysts can take months to go away, so you are not alone. Hopefully it will go away in time, it may be super stubborn probably because of the cortisone, it might have aggravated it and caused the skin around the cyst to build a stronger barrier because you had multiple shots.
So it might explain why it is taking a bit longer to go away.

For now just keep up with spot treating with the High frequency.
High frequency should help to make whatever you put on your skin afterwards penetrate better.

I have also read people having good luck with putting ACV on a Cyst to spot treat it (using a cotton ball and hold it on the cyst).

If you have any acne medications that you use put that on after doing the high frequency/ACV and put a band-aid on it. Again it will not be and over night cure but hopefully it will help it go along eventually.
tomisonbottom
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:52 am      Reply with quote
I have pictures posted here:
http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/321299-cystboilzit-that-became-firm-updated-with-pics/page__pid__3304155#entry3304155

I have tried the ACV and I think it would be effective except it basically burns my skin off.
I've constantly been doing warm tea bags to get it warm before applying topicals too.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:40 am      Reply with quote
I would be careful to avoid overly irritating the skin on top...the only thing worse than a big cyst is a big red cyst.

Fortunately, with makeup it looked far better than I was expecting. I would focus on your diet, antibiotics OR oil of oregano, and your high frequency tool until you can actually get it cut out. But hopefully it will go down by then.

Between acne.org and the recommendations you have received here, I am really not sure there is anything else you can try.

BTW, are you still on Retin A? I am wondering if that would help prevent them in the future? But if you are, be careful combining that with other acidic options.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for posting the link to your photos, it does help to better understand.

Normally, this type will take many months to finally go away because your skin has quarantined the area. The cortisone has made things a little more difficult since it caused your skin to build more of a barrier.
So you will have to be even more patient. Sad

keep up with doing the high frequency but do no more than about 2 minutes directly on and circling over it so you do not do too much over drying of your outer skin.
Again the High frequency should help to make whatever you put after it penetrate better, so you could probably skip the warm compress and tea bags.

After high frequency, put the medication type cream you use, etc then a band-aid on it during times you are not going out and overnight.

As for the ACV you can try diluting it with some water. It should still be effective but it will be more mild.

Because this will take a while to go away, try to keep a routine that is simple for you. Make it easy on yourself and stick to a couple things that you feel you can easily do everyday so you do not get too stressed.
System
Automatic Message
Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:11 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

DDF Sulfur Therapeutic Mask (113.4 g / 4 oz) Talika Eye Detox Contour Gel (1.8 ml / .063 oz - 30 applications) Orlane Special Price, Super-Moisturizing Light Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)