Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hair Matting from Shampoo
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:04 am      Reply with quote
Has shampoo ever matted your hair?

If so, what did you do remedy it?

And what do you do now when shampooing to prevent such a thing from happening again?
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think I understand what the phrase "matted your hair" means, lol. Are you talking about build up?
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
Here's a picture of matted hair:

http://ras_richard.tripod.com/locksman.jpg

My hair is not this matted, but you get the idea.

When hair mats, it is severely tangled and can look a lot like dreadlocks or yarn.
teago
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
Well I would say that your using the wrong shampoo then? Or you have a loooootttt of build up.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
teago wrote:
Well I would say that your using the wrong shampoo then? Or you have a loooootttt of build up.

Has anything like that ever happened to you?
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:55 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't think matting and tangling could be caused by a shampoo. Shock

But if you think it might be your shampoo, you could switch to a cleansing conditioner like wen, I guess?
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:13 am      Reply with quote
I used to have long hair - I mean really long as in to my knees. Here is a trick that will help any of you with hair that is long enough to put in a braid.

First thoroughly brush your hair to loosen debris, dust etc and move oil along the shaft.

Then loosly braid hair. If you want to deep treat, this is a good time.

Wash you hair gently remembering that most of the stuff that needs to be washed out is near the roots. Gentle, gentle.

Rinse. Towel blot and let your hair dry at least halfway. You can keep towel blotting to hasten this as the water will naturally move towards the ends. Then take out the braid, spread you hair carefull with your fingers and let it air dry. You will find that you have very few if any tangles and you will not lose or break hair using this method.

Our foremothers did not wash their hair nearly so often, once a week was enough and my hairdresser says if you can get into that kind of routine your scalp will adjust and produce just the right amount of oil.

mismis
teago
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
teago wrote:

Well no not really. It only happens when I add Dr. Bronners castile soap into a shampoo to make it extra cleansing - it strips my hair so therefore it isnt 'lubricated' and becomes sort of matted. But then you put on conditioner, comb through and its fine.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:52 am      Reply with quote
teago wrote:
VeronicaM wrote:
teago wrote:

Well no not really. It only happens when I add Dr. Bronners castile soap into a shampoo to make it extra cleansing - it strips my hair so therefore it isnt 'lubricated' and becomes sort of matted. But then you put on conditioner, comb through and its fine.

I cringed at the mention of Castile soap because IMO it's very hard (harsh?) on hair. *shudder* And yes teago I am not surprised it causes your hair to tangle because it's very alkaline.

VeronicaM I think your problem might be that you are using a very alkaline shampoo. The outer surface of your hair strands (the cuticle) is made of scales that overlap.

When in an alkaline environment, the scales lift making strands rough so that they catch on each other more easily and therefore tangle. When in an acidic environment, the cuticle stays closed so strands are smoother and slide past each other easily. This is why shampoos that are acidic are better for your hair. (Incidentally the effect of pH on hair is used when kinky hair is relaxed. First the relaxer, an alkaline product, is applied to raise the cuticle allowing the relaxer to penetrate the strands and break bonds to straighten the hair. Then an acidic product, the Neutralizer, is applied to bring down the pH of the relaxer and stop the process as well as close the cuticle and return strands back to "normal".)

The next link gives you an idea of the pH of some shampoos. For those who don't know, pH is a measure of how acidic (or not) something is. A pH of 7 means the product neutral (neither acidic nor alkaline). All numbers over 7 imply alkaline and all under 7, acidic. The further away from 7 a pH number is the stronger the acidity or alkalinity of the product in question: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/02/ph-of-shampoo-ultimate-list.html

If the reason you use a very alkaline shampoo is to clarify and remove buildup, you should check out Giovanni 50:50. It's "pH Balanced" which I believe means slightly acidic and yet cleans very well. In other words, it's gentle but effective. It is also sulfate-free for those who have an aversion to shampoos with sulfates, so it's a winner in every way.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:34 am      Reply with quote
I use castile soap for felting. Felt is made from wool, that is, the hair of sheep. Nonie described very well the process that is also used in felting, the opening of the cuticles to make tangling/felting possible.
Rinsing with vinegar (apple cider or other) or lemon juice works great to help with the tangling. Also, the roughness caused by too alkaline shampoo will make your hair look dull. That is why rinsing with vinegar gives such a nice shine - the hair fiber is smoothed which gives a nice gloss.
So if your hair tangles from your shampoo find another shampoo, or add a slosh of vinegar to it to make it less harsh.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:03 am      Reply with quote
I've tried lemon juice and it makes hair very silky and manageable. I suggest using it when you need it...
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:05 am      Reply with quote
A hair conditioner after shampooing will help.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:21 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
I use castile soap for felting. Felt is made from wool, that is, the hair of sheep. Nonie described very well the process that is also used in felting, the opening of the cuticles to make tangling/felting possible.
Rinsing with vinegar (apple cider or other) or lemon juice works great to help with the tangling. Also, the roughness caused by too alkaline shampoo will make your hair look dull. That is why rinsing with vinegar gives such a nice shine - the hair fiber is smoothed which gives a nice gloss.
So if your hair tangles from your shampoo find another shampoo, or add a slosh of vinegar to it to make it less harsh.

Yes, finishing your wash with an ACV rinse is very good for your hair. I have done this after every wash for over 8 years now. I add essential oils of lavender and rosemary to my rinse. Often I'll make the solution in a basin and dunk my head in it and massage my scalp to my heart's content in the solution. LOVE IT!!!

What I'd like to caution folks on is to make sure to dilute the Apple Cider Vineger (ACV) well. A strong acidic solution can cause the keratin in your hair to breakdown. So err on the side of caution by going very dilute. After all, even just a drop of ACV will make your water a touch more acidic.

I forgot to mention another thing that could help with your hair VeronicaM: getting a shower filter or water softener or both.

http://www.santeforhealth.com/shopcontent.asp?type=waterfiltercomparison
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:11 am      Reply with quote
Hello Nonie aka AD Smile I may try ACV (since I have a bottle in the kitchen for salads) with lavender oils and rosemary oils. Never tried this combination.... Thanks! Smile

Nonie aka AD wrote:

Yes, finishing your wash with an ACV rinse is very good for your hair. I have done this after every wash for over 8 years now. I add essential oils of lavender and rosemary to my rinse. Often I'll make the solution in a basin and dunk my head in it and massage my scalp to my heart's content in the solution. LOVE IT!!!
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
When I used a combo conditioner and shampoo for my thin, fine hair it became very flat and greasy looking. Now I either use Finesse or Everpure Volumizing and my hair gets nice and puffy.

I wish I had known the tip about braiding your hair before washing the scalp. In college my hair was oily and down to my waist. I used to just shampoo the scalp figuring everything would flow downward and clean the hair, which it did, without drying it. Still was a drag combing it afterwards though.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:03 am      Reply with quote
(I think) would be best if you are using conditioner that you only put it at the ends of hair as these are more proned to breakage and split-ends.

SoftSkin wrote:
When I used a combo conditioner and shampoo for my thin, fine hair it became very flat and greasy looking.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:49 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |